Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

That would make sense considering the UX would be better with a new computer, instead of making marginal improvements and having your Performa limp along trying to run OSx.

Yeah, you can look at it from the perspective of "Apple doesn't want you to upgrade your old machine!!" which is essentially true, but it's really more like Jobs' Apple was okay with dropping support for old stuff and moving on relatively briskly without too much looking back or navel gazing.

Which I'm not sure is still the case anymore, but that's a whole different topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

drunk asian neighbor posted:

got a source for that? Not being snarky, I actually want to read more on this.

Folklore.org is actually a fun website to read through:

source

quote:

Even though the diagnostic port was scuttled, it wasn't the last attempt at surreptitious hardware expandability. When the Mac digital board was redesigned for the last time in August 1982, the next generation of RAM chips was already on the horizon. The Mac used 16 64Kbit RAM chips, giving it 128K of memory. The next generation chip was 256Kbits, giving us 512K bytes instead, which made a huge difference.

Burrell was afraid the 128Kbyte Mac would seem inadequate soon after launch, and there were no slots for the user to add RAM. He realized that he could support 256Kbit RAM chips simply by routing a few extra lines on the PC board, allowing adventurous people who knew how to wield a soldering gun to replace their RAM chips with the newer generation. The extra lines would only cost pennies to add.

But once again, Steve Jobs objected, because he didn't like the idea of customers mucking with the innards of their computer. He would also rather have them buy a new 512K Mac instead of them buying more RAM from a third-party. But this time Burrell prevailed, because the change was so minimal. He just left it in there and no one bothered to mention it to Steve, much to the eventual benefit of customers, who didn't have to buy a whole new Mac to expand their memory.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I've been fascinated by Burrell Smith after reading some of the folklore stories, but what happened to him is really sad

He developed schizophrenia in the 90s and dropped out of the industry completely
http://www.cnet.com/news/burrell-smith-macintosh-hardware-wizard/

http://tradertim.blogspot.no/2007/07/lonesome-tale-of-burrell-smith.html :smith:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

error1 posted:

I've been fascinated by Burrell Smith after reading some of the folklore stories, but what happened to him is really sad

He developed schizophrenia in the 90s and dropped out of the industry completely
http://www.cnet.com/news/burrell-smith-macintosh-hardware-wizard/

http://tradertim.blogspot.no/2007/07/lonesome-tale-of-burrell-smith.html :smith:

Best possible end umho

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FilthyImp posted:

That would make sense considering the UX would be better with a new computer, instead of making marginal improvements and having your Performa limp along trying to run OSx.

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, you can look at it from the perspective of "Apple doesn't want you to upgrade your old machine!!" which is essentially true, but it's really more like Jobs' Apple was okay with dropping support for old stuff and moving on relatively briskly without too much looking back or navel gazing.

Which I'm not sure is still the case anymore, but that's a whole different topic.

Yes and no. I mean, let's take the example of the original Mac: it came out with 128K of RAM, and then several months later they released a revision that had 512K of RAM. The processor stayed exactly the same, it was just a memory bump, so it's not like an upgraded Mac would have been substantially different.

Not wanting people to swap CPUs, or being leery of an unmanageable host of devices that could be plugged into expansion slots and cause unpredictable issues, yeah sure I can see that. But the guy said that Apple wanted to soak him for a RAM bump and I have to agree there; they're fairly aggressive about making big profit off of hardware options and upgrades.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
this thread reminds me of the time my ex wanted me to play through her favorite lucas arts point and click adventure from when she was a kid. i suffered through it and she still got mad at me because i didn't act like it was the best game ever because I wasn't seven when i played it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What game was it?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

dookifex_maximus posted:

this thread reminds me of the time my ex wanted me to play through her favorite lucas arts point and click adventure from when she was a kid. i suffered through it and she still got mad at me because i didn't act like it was the best game ever because I wasn't seven when i played it
Good on her for dumping you :colbert:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

dookifex_maximus posted:

She deserves better than you.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Casimir Radon posted:

Good on her for dumping you :colbert:

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
you idiots are only saying that because you didnt date her

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
*drags things on to other things for hours randomly hoping something will happen*

- but enough about your sex life!

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Germstore posted:

*drags things on to other things for hours randomly hoping something will happen*

- but enough about your sex life!

that clitoris really should highlight itself when you hover your cursor over it

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
*holds alt*

gently caress it worked in d2

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

dookifex_maximus posted:

that clitoris really should highlight itself when you hover your cursor over it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejaWq2TXRXE&t=184s e: technically :nws: because of very low resolution tits

Germstore has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Aug 20, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

dookifex_maximus posted:

Cojawfee posted:

What game was it?

That's important. If it was Zak McCracken or something, then yeah, I can understand your reaction. But if it was Day of the Tentacle or a Monkey Island, then we're going to have to fight.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
like I said, I didn't play it when i was seven, and I got through all the greats, dott kq & mi series it was c list

if you don't have the nostalgia it's a rough slog

anyone remember kyrandia? I played that one on the mac i dont think it was lucasarts

grim fandango was a later one I enjoyed

dookifex_maximus has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Aug 20, 2016

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Happened to find a LaserDisc player at a thrift store for $8.

Brought it back home, and plugged it in. Had some issues with the tray, but I got the CD drive working great. But I didn't own any LDs and no one dumped their collection at the store. Fortunately for me, I also live down the road from a great used record store that also has a small LD collection, so I could try that out.

After adjusting the tray and cleaning it up some, it works great. It's not the highest end player, but for an $8 working LaserDisc player I'm not complaining. :D

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

When I was doing computer repair I kept a couple of laserdiscs hanging on the wall of my workshop and told people they were first-generation CDs, and that it took a while before they got the technology to make them smaller.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

If you need to test a LD player most if not all have a standard cd cutout on the tray and will play a normal audio CD.

I got a brand new laserdisc player a few years ago and still have yet to use it for more than a cd player.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Only time I've used laser disc was when I started teaching in '99, one of our technology textbooks used a Pioneer player with a scanner to read a barcode in the book and play a video.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Only time I've used laser disc was when I started teaching in '99, one of our technology textbooks used a Pioneer player with a scanner to read a barcode in the book and play a video.

Did the barcode scanner look like this?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Powered Descent posted:

No, it was like this one:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

I bought one for $10 some years back. It was actually pretty nice when I made an insurance list of my books. You also can't really argue with a price like that to own a piece of history.

We were using laser disc for a high school life science course in 2004. It's actually the only time I ever saw Laserdisc. No one I knew growing up had it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We had a laserdisc player in elementary school. It was used to watching science videos. You'd watch a bit and then they'd ask what you think was going on. Then the teacher would scan a barcode associated with our choice and the video would continue. I learned about salmonella.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
drat, look at you Richie Richs going to schools with Laserdisc players

my elementary school had 16mm film projectors and those slide projectors where the slides would come with an audio cassette that would BEEP to tell the teacher to advance to the next slide, and like two VCRs

they let the kids roll the media carts around too.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Cojawfee posted:

We had a laserdisc player in elementary school. It was used to watching science videos. You'd watch a bit and then they'd ask what you think was going on. Then the teacher would scan a barcode associated with our choice and the video would continue. I learned about salmonella.

Speaking about salmonella and tech relics.... How about Squigglevision?

https://youtu.be/V_b9KU5etRg

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Speaking about salmonella and tech relics.... How about Squigglevision?

https://youtu.be/V_b9KU5etRg

Home Movies was good. Dr Katz was pretty good.

Metalocalypse was never good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my elementary school had 16mm film projectors and those slide projectors where the slides would come with an audio cassette that would BEEP to tell the teacher to advance to the next slide, and like two VCRs

We had that too. I think they had plenty of VCRs but why not utilize the old film if it's still good? Not sure when they stopped using it since I went off to a technology focused charter school in 97. They still had VCRs in all the classrooms in 2007 when I graduated. Those of us who skipped out on the state basketball tournament got treated to our physics teacher saying "gently caress it, go pick out a movie from the library, I don't care what it is." So we watched The Sandlot on VHS.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The amazon river is the longest in south america, look at just how long it is
BOOONG
*nerd turns slide to next one*
As you can see the amazon goes through the rain forrest and many other regions has a diverse amount of life in it.
BOONG
Here you can see the Piranna, in a group it can strip a whole cow down to bone in under 2 mins. [more facts]
BOONG

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tater_salad posted:

The amazon river is the longest in south america, look at just how long it is
BOOONG
As you can see the amazon goes through the rain forrest and many other regions has a diverse amount of life in it.
BOONG
Here you can see the Piranna, in a group it can strip a whole cow down to bone in under 2 mins. [more facts]
BOONG

I remember it being much more of a beep than a bong, but these are hazy and distant memories.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I remember it being much more of a beep than a bong, but these are hazy and distant memories.

that's because of the bong

i'll be here all week folks

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

im reminded of miniature cds. not just mini cds, no, im talking those weird rear end rectangular cd's. i guess they're called 'business card cds' but i only ever saw them as included software in cheap toys n poo poo, so i guess it makes more sense that they were created in business card form factor and then adapted for other poo poo. my 8 year old mind could not fathom why these things existed though especially because of all of its downsides

like you're talkin apparently 30-100mb for one of them. seriously who at panasonic or w/e saw the diagram for that and was like 'yeah we're gonna sell these'

so much wasted space

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nigga crab pollock posted:

im reminded of miniature cds. not just mini cds, no, im talking those weird rear end rectangular cd's. i guess they're called 'business card cds' but i only ever saw them as included software in cheap toys n poo poo, so i guess it makes more sense that they were created in business card form factor and then adapted for other poo poo. my 8 year old mind could not fathom why these things existed though especially because of all of its downsides

like you're talkin apparently 30-100mb for one of them. seriously who at panasonic or w/e saw the diagram for that and was like 'yeah we're gonna sell these'

so much wasted space

I did occasionally get drivers and such on those mini CD things. Seems like they were only being made in sufficient amounts for a pretty short period of time to actually get used for reasonable things, though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nintendo Power used to distribute soundtracks on shaped CDs. You could get one in the shape of Diddy Kong's head for the Donkey Kong Country 2 soundtrack, for example. Can't find a picture for the life of me though.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Nintendo Power used to distribute soundtracks on shaped CDs. You could get one in the shape of Diddy Kong's head for the Donkey Kong Country 2 soundtrack, for example. Can't find a picture for the life of me though.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I assume the center of gravity is still in the middle of the hole, despite them not being symmetrical, because that matters doesn't it?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Erugh I don't miss the horrid days of making portfolio business cards in flash for those. Plus some of those designs were unbalanced so would actually lift up and spin into the innards of a CD drive.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:doh: of course I do a million Google searches and not once did I try "Diddy Kong head CD" which gives those results. Looks like it was for Diddy Kong Racing, not DKC2.

Wouldn't those vibrate the gently caress out of your disc players because of the weight imbalance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Mak0rz posted:

:doh: of course I do a million Google searches and not once did I try "Diddy Kong head CD" which gives those results. Looks like it was for Diddy Kong Racing, not DKC2.

Wouldn't those vibrate the gently caress out of your disc players because of the weight imbalance?

Probably worse than that was people using those and the business card size CDs in front-load DVD/CD drives. Like the one on the 2nd gen iMacs.

If you're lucky enough to get it to draw the disc in in the first place, I could almost guarantee you'd never get it back out again without disassembly.

I had to remove a few of those during my stint as an Apple tech. Sure those slot-load drives made the front of the machine look sleek and modern, but at what price?