Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

IronSaber posted:

Also, I don't think Geop noticed, but I was frantically tossing Alluring Skulls around during the boss fight so he wouldn't get ganked by skeletons.

Doing the lord's work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I just want to say I appreciate IronSaber's appearances these last few videos.

Also, while I generally hate the "throw lots of enemies" style boss fights in basically any game, I have a soft spot for the skeletons because my first character was a pyro with a bunch of AoE stuff like lingering flame. After killing the lords I just gathered as many skeletons to one side as I could and blew the gently caress out of them.

And oh boy does this upcoming area suck in plenty of ways.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

MGlBlaze posted:

And as Vicas said, they changed the spawns in SotFS.
I believe it was four of each. So you get half as many bonewheels, but way more regular skeletons.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I believe it was four of each. So you get half as many bonewheels, but way more regular skeletons.

Yeah, seems like you're right. Went and looked up a video of the fight pre-DLC and it seems to be as you described. Maybe 6 of the skeletons in armour, but it looks like it was indeed four of each. They also seemed to spawn at pre-determined spots in the arena rather than around the killed lord.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

IronSaber posted:

You rank up in Way of the Blue when you defeat an Invading Phantom. Way of Blue awards you for defeating invaders.

Also, I don't think Geop noticed, but I was frantically tossing Alluring Skulls around during the boss fight so he wouldn't get ganked by skeletons.

Thanks for being a good NPC!

Feels like they made that last stretch of Huntsmans Copse a bit easier in Scholar, less big guys (and crystal lizards)?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
The Skeleton Lords is the best boss fight in any souls game, imo, and definitely the best in DS2 (and I say this with DS2 being my favorite). It, like many fights in Dark Souls II, pits you up against multiple enemies at once, and like most of the others there is a way to control the fight and make it so you never really have to fight more than one at a time (there are only 2 boss fights where you can't do this, though it's not always obvious), but unlike some of those fights, it is perfectly manageable even if you don't know the trick. My first character was mostly dex-based and using curved swords and I managed on my first or second try. More importantly, though, it feels frantic and fast and fun, plus skeletons are rad as poo poo. My one complaint is that the most fun (read: stupidest) way to fight them is only available after you beat them, because the Dead Again hex is cool as gently caress.

I'm also a big fan of Harvest Valley except for one part I'll talk about if we get to it, though it's not a huge thing and I think that the other parts make up for it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Chloanne's ponytail looks like it's from an ApachiiSkyHair mod.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It was in fact four of each, and having played this encounter a lot on both versions I can say that reducing the bonewheels in return for more bipedal skeletons definitely made the encounter easier. (For the original version I prefer to use a bow or another ranged method to kill the bonewheels.) Also I dunno what Kuvo is talking about with piercing weapons making this impossible, because I managed this handily with a +6 spear even after having all the skeletons summoned at once.

Dark Souls 2 does have several more multi-enemy boss fights, but in general (regardless of the Souls game) they're only bad if you get no way to manage the enemies, such as if you're placed in a featureless plain with a gimmickless fight. For instance, the Bell Gargoyles from DS1 have a wide arena, one only appears halfway through, and given what Solaire said you're probably going to be summoning someone. In contrast, no one in their right minds wants to try fighting both Sanctuary Guardians at once, even without the fact that you can just warp around them. And in this particular case, you've got two ways to manage things. First, as noted each lord has a particular set of summons that will only appear upon their deaths. (You may notice that From fixed the glitch from the Four Kings fight.) Second, there are several pillars and other obstacles to route a group of skeletons around so that they aren't just surrounding you like an undead pub crawl.

I would guess that Chloanne's accent is either Cockney or some other traditionally lower-class English accent, though if it's the latter then I couldn't say beyond that as an American.

Unlike most pieces of gear, upgrading your Pyromancy Flame only requires one Pyromancy Seed for each tier.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Garrand posted:

I just want to say I appreciate IronSaber's appearances these last few videos.

Also, while I generally hate the "throw lots of enemies" style boss fights in basically any game, I have a soft spot for the skeletons because my first character was a pyro with a bunch of AoE stuff like lingering flame. After killing the lords I just gathered as many skeletons to one side as I could and blew the gently caress out of them.

And oh boy does this upcoming area suck in plenty of ways.

And not just if you hate poison.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Dark Souls 2 does have several more multi-enemy boss fights, but in general (regardless of the Souls game) they're only bad if you get no way to manage the enemies, such as if you're placed in a featureless plain with a gimmickless fight.

(Emphasis mine)

Ahahah.

AHAHAHAHAHAH.

:suicide:

But anyway, I largely agreed that yeah the Skeleton Lords was pretty well laid out. Although I am curious as to your reasoning for thinking the spawn rate changes were better. Personally I found the non-bonewheel waves, while manageable, slightly overwhelming even when using the environment. But they do seem to not do much damage individually, at least.

Dark Souls 2 bonewheels are not the monsters they were in 1. In 2 they hit you once and go past you, albeit they hit kinda hard. Unlike Dark Souls 1 where they could hit you and then continue grinding into you long enough to wipe out your health and stamina meters four times over.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 20, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MGlBlaze posted:

(Emphasis mine)

Ahahah.

AHAHAHAHAHAH.

:suicide:
I said exactly what I meant. But let's table this particular discussion for now.

quote:

But anyway, I largely agreed that yeah the Skeleton Lords was pretty well laid out. Although I am curious as to your reasoning for thinking the spawn rate changes were better. Personally I found the non-bonewheel waves, while manageable, slightly overwhelming even when using the environment. But they do seem to not do much damage individually, at least.

Dark Souls 2 bonewheels are not the monsters they were in 1. In 2 they hit you once and go past you, albeit they hit kinda hard. Unlike Dark Souls 1 where they could hit you and then continue grinding into you long enough to wipe out your health and stamina meters four times over.
It's not just the grinding that gets you with the bonewheels, but also that there are four enemies zippier than mosquitoes all nibbling at your heels from different directions. Ten or twelve regular skeletons, on the other hand, can still be easily roped around a pillar and funneled down to one or two at a time. And if you need to heal, then you can run away faster than they can follow.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MGlBlaze posted:

And while the enemy count may ramp up, it is both a large arena, and one of the few arenas that actually has some geometry you can legitimately put between yourself an the enemies to heal up, break their formation, and all that good stuff. And the arena even looks interesting. You're fighting on a pile of bones, the Lord thrones are bones, the floor undulates due to the un-even piles.

There are also pools of water that will give you and the enemies the "wet" buff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That sure was a valley alright

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Apparently Harvest Valley is just a completely botched translation. It's supposed to be more along the lines of Pooling Valley. Which makes a lot more sense. Also this place is ugly as hell in the Dark Souls 2 is kind of an awful looking game kinda way. The whole place looks like it'd feel right at home in an early PS2 platformer.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I'm like 99% sure all the memory problems in Drangleic have nothing to do with curses or the fading of the fire or any of that, it's everyone being downstream and downwind of the giant pools of heavy metals leaching into the groundwater.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
While you shouldn't roll through the green slime, you can jump into or through it, I've found (can't remember if you can jump if you're already wading through it) but yeah, the roll at the end of jumping doesn't... 'count' as a roll so you'll only get the amount of green slime from walking through normally.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Straight up, the Skeleton Lords is how FROM does screwball comedy.

Everything about it is as goofy as it gets, from the "it fills up with skeletons!" mechanic, their theme song which sounds like something the residents of Halloween Town would jam out to, to their big skelly lifeguard chairs, and the appearance of the Bonewheels serving as the ultimate punchline.

It could definitely stand to be a more difficult fight, as Souls battles go, but it is always a sheer joy to take on. :skeltal:

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

It's not just the grinding that gets you with the bonewheels, but also that there are four enemies zippier than mosquitoes all nibbling at your heels from different directions. Ten or twelve regular skeletons, on the other hand, can still be easily roped around a pillar and funneled down to one or two at a time. And if you need to heal, then you can run away faster than they can follow.

Ah, that's true. I had also kinda forgotten that the Bonewheel's attacks are pretty quick and tend to send them past you quite a ways, so you end up needing to play catch-up with them a bunch, which might not always be easy if they stagger their attacks.

I think my strategy for the initial four-bonewheels spawn was to sort of hang out close to a wall. Which due to the placement of those pillars to cover you the arena actually does a good job of encouraging you to do anyway, which is quite nice design.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 20, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
An orestone trader messing with a skull in a chasm full of skeletons in the walls? Oh no, the geologist vs archaeologist wars of drangleic are reigniting

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

VodeAndreas posted:

Thanks for being a good NPC!

Feels like they made that last stretch of Huntsmans Copse a bit easier in Scholar, less big guys (and crystal lizards)?
Definitely. Geop missed a crystal lizard because it ran into the glow of an item - he had seen it before, on the other side of the shortcut in the cave (the gate you open, next to Creighton). This lizard used to be where Roenna now spawns, the platform they moved the Undead Lockaway Key to. Surrounding the lizard were three dudes hidden in bushes. The lizard started to run away very quickly as you approached. And immediately off the cliff. The only real way to do it was snipe the three dudes from very far, then snipe the lizard itself with two quick shots, hopefully killing it. It was probably the worst in the game. There is one more that you can pretty much only get by sniping, but at least it's not guarded by three assholes.

Dunno what you mean with big guys.

The Necromancer also used to be far, far more dickishly placed. Remember when Geop saw that item hanging out in the cave remarking that this is a Try Jumping for sure? That is where the Necromancer chilled.

NGDBSS posted:

It was in fact four of each, and having played this encounter a lot on both versions I can say that reducing the bonewheels in return for more bipedal skeletons definitely made the encounter easier. (For the original version I prefer to use a bow or another ranged method to kill the bonewheels.) Also I dunno what Kuvo is talking about with piercing weapons making this impossible, because I managed this handily with a +6 spear even after having all the skeletons summoned at once.
Well, the basic Spear DOES have an R2 which sweeps and also does strike damage...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Eh, I've stuck with my trusty rapier most of the game and skeleton lords wasn't too bad... with one summoned helper, though. Just lots and lots of kiting, and keeping an eye on where the bonewheels are, dodging out of the way and then stabbing the bastards to death while they're recovering.
Was anyone else scared to death by messages saying "wheel ahead" near the Gavlan encounter back at no-man's wharf? I kept expecting hordes of bonewheels but instead was pleasantly surprised.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Mazed posted:

Straight up, the Skeleton Lords is how FROM does screwball comedy.

The Souls series is funny as hell.

Straight from North Undead Asylum, you walk into a big open area, run towards the helpful message sign which says "GET AWAY" right as the first boss slams down right next to you.

And then if you manage to kill that boss WITHOUT getting your gear first, it rewards you by giving a weapon you can't use for another 40ish levels.

Dark Souls is hilarious.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Human bones that move on their own?!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Well, the basic Spear DOES have an R2 which sweeps and also does strike damage...
Well, I didn't capitalize the term, so it's not necessarily that one.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

armoredgorilla posted:

The Souls series is funny as hell.

Straight from North Undead Asylum, you walk into a big open area, run towards the helpful message sign which says "GET AWAY" right as the first boss slams down right next to you.

And then if you manage to kill that boss WITHOUT getting your gear first, it rewards you by giving a weapon you can't use for another 40ish levels.

Dark Souls is hilarious.
Skeletons are also funny as hell, as we've learnt from Roundabout and Undertale (and probably a million other places, including DS1).

That boss battle is built on some serious comedy leylines before you even get to the fight itself.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Don't give up, skeleton :unsmith:

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

AwkwardSearssiblingportrait.jpg

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The spirit is a living manifestation of your fighting spirit. It stands at your side, thus, it is known as a 「STAND」

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

RareAcumen posted:

The spirit is a living manifestation of your fighting spirit. It stands at your side, thus, it is known as a 「STAND」

So, Goonther is Shaq's Stand.

What's his name, thread?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Brunom1 posted:

So, Goonther is Shaq's Stand.

What's his name, thread?

Goon Free or Onion Rock.

...I'm bad at names.

edit: Stone Onion? I finished part 6 a week ago.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 20, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

they put so much polish into Shalquoir's blinking, loafing and ear wiggles

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

scamtank posted:

they put so much polish into Shalquoir's blinking, loafing and ear wiggles
I hope they just got one guy and told him "your job is to create a cat npc" and he just kept doing it for the entire development time, knowing he had the best job there is. Thus the extra detail compared to all other characters.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EqWN4fT79s

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Man, I thought I had one but your joke sank all my battleships.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Okay yeah this is great. Though a pun based stand may top it...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The first time I fought the skeleton lords, I had fought a lot to get to them, so my main weapon broke early in the fight. I then had to try and hide from the TEN BILLION SKELETONS (playing original ds2, killed the two normal skeleton spawners quick) to equip that Magic Mace I found.

Then the bonewheels came.

:negative:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

This goes so far beyond and above the call of duty that it's pretty much in orbit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't know anything about jojos or whatever but this is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Looper posted:

Don't give up, skeleton :unsmith:

The message system improvements are probably the best addition in ds2. I've been leaving skeleton messages everywhere while playing but I'm on pc :(

In the room of the boss geop skipped, I left "be wary of equipment breakage, skeleton!" by the gimmick. I don't think this spoils anything.

• Locked thread