Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love sports and do not understand why anyone gives a poo poo about sports games. They suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

greatn posted:

I love sports and do not understand why anyone gives a poo poo about sports games. They suck.

They're basically all little strategy games that let the player also control a hero character. If you actually like the "game" part of games and not just walking through scripted sequence tunnels like Call of Duty sports games are kinda awesome. They're also some of the best local multiplayer games in existence. But people who aren't neckbeards like sports IPs so of course every Games poster thinks they're better than them.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

greatn posted:

Not all of them. Golf video games are the only way I actually have fun with golf haha and Madden can be fun with friends, but always gets old pretty quickly.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
they do care about third party games

its just that third party developers dropped out because "what?? game..pad? how do i..gently caress this"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

BillmasterCozb posted:

its just that third party developers dropped out because "what?? game..pad? how do i..gently caress this"

Third party developers dropped out because Nintendo did such a bad job with the WiiU that their core audience didn't even show up to buy one. I'm sure EA would have been happy to port 360 FIFA onto the thing with fresh rosters every year and put a big vuvuzela button on the gamepad screen if the world hadn't collectively looked at dropping new-console money for a slightly-better version of the consoles they bought six years before and said "nah."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ok I love golf games actually. I guess it's the difference between real time strategy and turn based strategy. Real time is too hectic and football especially there's too many god drat buttons.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

BillmasterCozb posted:

That's at least what makes the NX more appealing to third parties - it's really just a normal console but mobile. You don't have to develop any crazy controller scheme for a gamepad or waggle sticks. All you have to do is develop a game normally and then people can play it mobile or on their TV. It makes things a lot easier for 3rd party developers - just gotta hope it has enough power for the future & buy-in from consumers.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
are we still speculating or did they reveal it??

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

BillmasterCozb posted:

are we still speculating or did they reveal it??

Still speculating. They're never going to actually reveal the console. It's going to get released one day out of the blue as a RadioShack exclusive.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

greatn posted:

greatn posted:

Ok I love golf games actually. I guess it's the difference between real time strategy and turn based strategy. Real time is too hectic and football especially there's too many god drat buttons.

"I am bad at, and cannot easily play a game, therefore I do not see how anyone could like it"

Madden/NBA2K is pretty fun. I play franchise modes by myself, and will play locally with friends(don't play online often though)\

Like I am lovely at multiplayer shooters, have always been and will always be. I completely get why people would enjoy them even if they aren't for me.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
doesn't madden basically play itself at this point

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheScott2K posted:

I think it's clear that Nintendo has long since stopped caring about third party multiplats.

Whatever makes you feel better about Nintendo consoles, I guess

Dexo posted:

Like I am lovely at multiplayer shooters, have always been and will always be. I completely get why people would enjoy them even if they aren't for me.

This is honestly the most reasonable opinion on videogames I've seen on SA.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 18, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

whaley posted:

doesn't madden basically play itself at this point

it can if you tell it to but like most sports games it can also be a series of minigame abstractions that players compete on to resolve each play

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

InFlames235 posted:

That's at least what makes the NX more appealing to third parties - it's really just a normal console but mobile. You don't have to develop any crazy controller scheme for a gamepad or waggle sticks. All you have to do is develop a game normally and then people can play it mobile or on their TV. It makes things a lot easier for 3rd party developers - just gotta hope it has enough power for the future & buy-in from consumers.

We don't know anything about the system to say any of this for certain, but I'd like it to be the case.

The gamepad is honestly not the reason why people didn't work with the Wii U. Unless Nintendo mandated everyone get creative with the stupid thing, you could have ported pretty much anything from the previous generation to it with minimal use of the second screen. Even Nintendo struggled to make use of it. But the gamepad wasn't really crazy next to the wiimote: it still had two analogue sticks, shoulder buttons, a d pad, and face buttons. It's honestly pretty normal outside of a fairly ignorable second screen. The real issue was that it sold like rear end to every demographic, end of story. It wasn't meanies in the big publishers kicking poor Nintendo while they were down, or idiots preferring SPECS over GAMEPLAY or whatever fanfiction people want to come up with next.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
The Wii U bombed because Donald Trump set up a secret plan to make the Wii U fail and push the Microsoft agenda

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

The Wii U bombed because Donald Trump set up a secret plan to make the Wii U fail and push the Microsoft agenda

if this was actually the case the Wii U would have ended up being the best selling console of all time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it bombed because GC compatibility wasn't enabled by default

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

greatn posted:

I'm of the opposite sort; I pay minimal attention to modern sport but still enjoy MLB: The Show, Pro Evolution Soccer, and a bit of NBA 2Ksomething. I never do the "Become a Legend" modes or franchises anymore, but I just enjoy a one-off game on a semi-regular basis.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The NintendOnix is the first console that's also a pokemon.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DalaranJ posted:

The NintendOnix is the first console that's also a pokemon.

50 feet long and several tons heavy. do not get wet!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Can I use it as impromptu stairs too?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SilverSupernova posted:

Can I use it as impromptu stairs too?

how many badges do you have?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Real hurthling! posted:

it bombed because GC compatibility wasn't enabled by default

By default? Is there a way to get GCN compatibility? (I assume via homebrew?)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

~Coxy posted:

By default? Is there a way to get GCN compatibility? (I assume via homebrew?)

there is a wii on board the wii u so anything that works on a wii can be done on wii u if you know how to make it happen

sorry for the neogaf link but its the first google result
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=927094

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i just want Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2 on the NX

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Nintendo made some pretty good sports games
*looks wistfully at mario strikers*

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

PBS Newshour posted:

Nintendo made some pretty good sports games
*looks wistfully at mario strikers*

I do miss when Nintendo had good sports games. Mario Tennis used to be super fun as well as Mario Golf. Also, even though technically not a sports game, it's a shame what Mario Party has become in recent years as that was one of my favorite 4 player games back in the day.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mario Tennis WiiU is fun and has good mechanics and it's gorgeous, it's just the game has the barest of content and was sold as a full sixty dollar game when it should have been a 20 dollar eShop title.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

InFlames235 posted:

I do miss when Nintendo had good sports games. Mario Tennis used to be super fun as well as Mario Golf. Also, even though technically not a sports game, it's a shame what Mario Party has become in recent years as that was one of my favorite 4 player games back in the day.

Mario Golf for the 3DS is excellent. Lots of content and it really finds the perfect sweet spot between simulation and arcade.

greatn posted:

Mario Tennis WiiU is fun and has good mechanics and it's gorgeous, it's just the game has the barest of content and was sold as a full sixty dollar game when it should have been a 20 dollar eShop title.

Could not disagree more on the mechanics. The Super Mushroom nonsense dominates the game and was a cheesy gimmick tacked on to try and sell units. It does look nice, but that's damning with fine praise. I will agree with you in that it as gently caress all for content, though.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Nintendo should stop making consoles because all their consoles are bad and stick to making software.

Also Nintendo should stop making games because all their games are bad.

Nintendo should just sit in the corner and think about what they've done.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

C. Everett Koop posted:

Nintendo should stop making consoles because all their consoles are bad and stick to making software.

:yeah:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I feel bad about saying this but I hope they keep Miyamoto a bit away from the games for a while

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

His contributions to BotW were both minimal and good.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Only a third Ken Griffey Jr game can save them now.

Ken Griffey Jr's Hall of Fame Baseball

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Kashuno posted:

I feel bad about saying this but I hope they keep Miyamoto a bit away from the games for a while

are people still mad about sticker star

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Raserys posted:

are people still mad about sticker star

no, people are mad about color splash now

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
did Miyamoto have anything to do with that? usually when I see someone say Miyamoto should step down, the crux of their reasoning is sticker star specifically

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Oh no don't get me wrong I don't think he should step down from his position, just when I look at his contributions over the wii u lifespan I am not encouraged that he should have huge impact on games. Small suggestions, sure, but large impact no thank you.

edit: I liked sticker star and am excited for color splash :shrug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raserys posted:

did Miyamoto have anything to do with that? usually when I see someone say Miyamoto should step down, the crux of their reasoning is sticker star specifically

His gamepad push over the past few years was seen as a mixed bag too. Kyle bosman has a video where he reads all his statements at investor meetings about saving the wii u by justifying the tablet and goes off on him for only coming up with starfox guard to show for it while others delivered with splatoon and mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Real hurthling! posted:

His gamepad push over the past few years was seen as a mixed bag too. Kyle bosman has a video where he reads all his statements at investor meetings about saving the wii u by justifying the tablet and goes off on him for only coming up with starfox guard to show for it while others delivered with splatoon and mm

The wii U has so much untapped potential. I'm sad that it's dying so early. The hardware is really good and the gamepad isn't horrible it's a full controller that if you want, you can do some cool things. I love Nintendo Land. They just never did anything else like that. I mean even splatoon could have been done fine with a normal controller, the gyro is nice and the map touch is cool but using something like the PS4 middle pad could have achieved the same, tap the pad to enlarge the minimap move a cursor using the track pad press X to jump, pad to back out. You can use gyro on that too.

It wouldn't be the same, but it would be possible to port it well enough. It's lose something, but I think a sequel could be made without a screen on the controller.

The only reason I'm saying it's possible to make a PS4 port of the game is that nothing made use of it beyond the pack in "shovelware" title.

• Locked thread