Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Neat, I didn't have to go for an interview to renew my Global Entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FunOne posted:

What's required to get my APEC card if I already have GE? Apply, fee, and appointment to sign some papers?

Got stuck in line at Hangzhou and could've skipped it with the card. I hate lines that I don't have to be in.

That's generally it. The APEC card is so tits, it saves me hours every time I go to China. It also got me around a three hour line in Peru last year.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is such crap and I want to strangle my VP of finance.

I had a hotel picked out (Chicago O"Haire Renaissance) that was within the limit for hotels ($200 in this case), but had a cheaper rate available through a company we partner with. I sent him an email asking if I should book directly with the hotel to get the cheaper rate. I got this back:

quote:

Please amend your reservation and book the following hotel for 111$/night.

Hotel details:
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
5615 N. Cumberland Avenue
Chicago, Illinois, 60631

After I raised exception to that, I got this:

quote:

OK, but the question is if there is cheaper hotel than [other company] rate in the area (like the case in Chicago).

In general, I prefer that all the orders will be via Concur. In case you find a cheaper hotel, please let me know.

:fuckoff:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KillHour posted:

This is such crap and I want to strangle my VP of finance.

I had a hotel picked out (Chicago O"Haire Renaissance) that was within the limit for hotels ($200 in this case), but had a cheaper rate available through a company we partner with. I sent him an email asking if I should book directly with the hotel to get the cheaper rate. I got this back:

After I raised exception to that, I got this:

:fuckoff:

Tis better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission in these cases.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Someone I know is a senior engineer at a tech company known for "being frugal."

They cancelled her booked hotel for a giant convention because it was too expensive--she noted this was the cheapest room in the area. They then looked for a new hotel room and couldn't find any even at twice the rate of the original cost. So, since they're loving morons and cancelled the room before finding another (or so they say) , they stuck her out in the suburbs 45 minutes away. And there was no reprimand, no consequence. Nothing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I was yelled at by a client this week for being too frugal. Again.

I think I am going to go work for them in house.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Mackieman posted:

Tis better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission in these cases.

I've found this is often the best policy in general for business. Most of the time it never even gets noticed, and if it does, it's always forgiven.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Blinkman987 posted:

Someone I know is a senior engineer at a tech company known for "being frugal."

They cancelled her booked hotel for a giant convention because it was too expensive--she noted this was the cheapest room in the area. They then looked for a new hotel room and couldn't find any even at twice the rate of the original cost. So, since they're loving morons and cancelled the room before finding another (or so they say) , they stuck her out in the suburbs 45 minutes away. And there was no reprimand, no consequence. Nothing.

There would've been heads on pikes to serve as warning to others had that happened to me.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

I was yelled at by a client this week for being too frugal. Again.

I think I am going to go work for them in house.

It's one of the few nice things about working for a giant bank: as long as you're not crazy, do whatever you want.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Really, Lufthansa makes you pay $35 per leg for seat reservations on transatlantic economy??? Do people's expense policies pay for that?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

smackfu posted:

Really, Lufthansa makes you pay $35 per leg for seat reservations on transatlantic economy??? Do people's expense policies pay for that?

If you have Star Gold I think it's free. Otherwise, I would expense it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

It's one of the few nice things about working for a giant bank: as long as you're not crazy, do whatever you want.

"Act in the company/clients best interest" is all the travel policy that I need. Shame the company doesn't agree.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm just going to book the hotel I want at the company rate and point to the travel policy if I'm asked.

I literally live out of hotels. Living in a dump is not on my list of life goals.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

That's why asking for forgiveness rather than permission is the way to go. The people behind the scenes don't see your position since they don't travel and just look at the bottom line.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

KLM just started doing this as well (their idea to charge for checked luggage on intercontinental flights seems to have bounced, for now) but you'll have plenty of choice picking a seat when you check in online. There's still loads of people checking in at the airport.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

anitsirK posted:

Probably an awkward combination of being spoiled and being used to having to fight for travel budget and make the most of every possible chance to see a customer face-to-face. I think 4 trips in a year was the highest I made it to, in my last role. Now, I'm 2 months in at a new place, and getting ready for 2 2-week trips between now and the end of September.

Good call. Thanks for the perspective!

Nice! Hadn't thought of that little bonus.

I will just add that if you are flying Toronto > London you will be absolutely fine. I can't imagine a scenario where you wouldn't get a seat on those flights (it just might cost a bit more if sale fares are gone, thats the cost of doing business).

I have done many last minute long haul flights where I booked for the next day. Unless you are flying into a small regional airport where there's only one flight a day and they sell out often you won't ever have issues. Even in that case there's not much you can do if it's someone else responsibility to book a flight/make sure you're there.

You learn to go with it. I've also flown to cities without accommodation booked yet. I find there is no use stressing out on these things when my work is paying and things are out of my hands.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I left my kindle in last night's hotel.

I'm so disappointed by this.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Many thanks to everyone who recommended National as the go-to rental car brand. Not only do I breeze past the lines at the rental outpost, but they make it really easy to hit Executive and rack up the free rental days.

A+, now avoiding other brands like the plague

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Noggin Monkey posted:

Many thanks to everyone who recommended National as the go-to rental car brand. Not only do I breeze past the lines at the rental outpost, but they make it really easy to hit Executive and rack up the free rental days.

You can get free Executive from a Mastercard World Elite card. Many MCs are world elite, e.g. Barclaycard Arrival+

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mandalay posted:

You can get free Executive from a Mastercard World Elite card. Many MCs are world elite, e.g. Barclaycard Arrival+

Executive is trivially easy to achieve anyway, not worth chasing it on a card unless there are significant other benefits to the card.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Noggin Monkey posted:

There should be a 1-2-Free promotion coming up in the next month or so anyways. Time to rack up the free days again! I think last year I ended up with 4 from the normal rates, and 6 from 1-2-Free.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

There should be a 1-2-Free promotion coming up in the next month or so anyways. Time to rack up the free days again! I think last year I ended up with 4 from the normal rates, and 6 from 1-2-Free.

drat Charlotte and everything being so close together a rental car doesn't make sense.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So it looks like on my HNL-SLC flight next month I'm stuck on one of Deltas least desirable AC, a 767-332ER. Took first class in hopes I'd at least have a chance to fall asleep and odds aren't looking good. I'm going to try and take Row 1 so I don't get a seat reclining into my face at least.

The good news is my outbound of SEA-KOA appears to be a freshly redone 757 (H) which is supposedly pretty decent. Probably try for Row 1 as well in it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pvt Dancer posted:

KLM just started doing this as well (their idea to charge for checked luggage on intercontinental flights seems to have bounced, for now) but you'll have plenty of choice picking a seat when you check in online. There's still loads of people checking in at the airport.

That's true, I didn't think about it that way. Charging for seat reservations just makes a lot less seats be reserved in advance.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

DJCobol posted:

Just went active today, actually

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Just in time for my E Coast tour! Wahoo!

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

pig slut lisa posted:

Just went active today, actually

Didn't see anything - is it a selective offer?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Noggin Monkey posted:

Didn't see anything - is it a selective offer?

I don't think so. Go here and try to register: https://www.emeraldclubpromos.com/12Free/2016/

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm scheduled to fly back into central Florida on Thursday, just in time to pass through the tropical storm. This is my first time flying into (or being scheduled to fly into) a big storm system. Do they typically cancel flights going into the area? Attempt to fly around it? Or do they do the delay-delay-delay-cancel thing, meaning I'll have to sit at LAX all day waiting to find out?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Delay delay delay oh here's a flight with everyone else then delay when you are on the Tarmac.

Yeah check in online and have a boarding pass but I would chill out in the city and eat some burritos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At least for DL they'll give you a fee waiver on rebooking so you should just do that unless there's an incredibly compelling reason to do otherwise.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's really not worth sitting around the airport for god knows how long unless you have access to some nice lounges

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My boss just sent me an email saying to be in Israel in less than two weeks. Looks like I might hit platinum with United this year after all. Which is crazy, considering I didn't start using them until late May.

llamaperl2
Dec 6, 2008
Just hit silver on Delta and got upgraded to first class on my return leg. Only took 30 plane trips.....

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

llamaperl2 posted:

Just hit silver on Delta and got upgraded to first class on my return leg. Only took 30 plane trips.....

Lucky you. I didn't start getting upgrades until I was drat near platinum unless I was flying out of some rinky-dink shithole airport. I'm looking at you, GRR.

llamaperl2
Dec 6, 2008

DJCobol posted:

Lucky you. I didn't start getting upgrades until I was drat near platinum unless I was flying out of some rinky-dink shithole airport. I'm looking at you, GRR.

Well, I do fly out of a rinky-dink shithole airport (ROC). The only redeeming part of flying out of an airport that small is I can get up at 4, shower, drive, park, go through security, and be at the gate by 5.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Ugh I am about 200 miles shy of United Silver (worthless but would help me regain status quicker next year). My travel window for the year is rapidly coming to a close because I'm having a kid soon, so there's a pretty good chance I won't get another United flight. I've never done a mileage run and it doesn't seem worth my time for that few miles. The Milage Accelerator or whatever it's called offered me 1k miles for $150 on my last flight, which I thought was a bit expensive. Any other options to gain just a few PQM?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Tyro posted:

Ugh I am about 200 miles shy of United Silver (worthless but would help me regain status quicker next year). My travel window for the year is rapidly coming to a close because I'm having a kid soon, so there's a pretty good chance I won't get another United flight. I've never done a mileage run and it doesn't seem worth my time for that few miles. The Milage Accelerator or whatever it's called offered me 1k miles for $150 on my last flight, which I thought was a bit expensive. Any other options to gain just a few PQM?

I think the Mileage Plus site will let you just buy out the rest of your status on the site. It offered it too me at least once. Should be cheaper than 1k miles, but it still going to be expensive for what it is.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Cool, that would be ideal depending on the price they ask for. Just keep an eye out towards the end of the year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The additional mileage buys for DL and AA are ordinary miles, not MQM/EQM.