Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What type of quail is that, Chinese? We have very elderly Japanese which are much larger than Chinese and brown, no eggs from them no more though :( .

I gave Mango scritches :D Sort of, would not go back in his cage so had to get netted, he was a good bird for a long time then started hissing so I let him go. No bites or anything. He seems much more chill with me today as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Such elegant pidges :kimchi:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

little_firebird posted:

Beato

She is queen of the lamp.

this is all i can see:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

GoldStandardConure posted:

this is all i can see:

Yes :syoon:

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

For a pigeon dating sim that game gets dark.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
How does Beato feel about pudding?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know why people complain about noise from birds, any birds, compared to human children.

Also I'm not allowed to bring my birds to the office

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I could, but don't want to be that weird bird person, at least obviously

little_firebird posted:

Hello again bird crazies, here are my birds

Quetzalquailtl

He is a small ball of anger.

I like all your birds but this is the best name :v:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I was looking at the pigeons owned by the person behind Manly Guys Doing Manly Things and now this thread and now I want pigeons :kimchi:

Also look at the fat conures aaaagh

EDIT: Oh hell just look at her tumblr, she truly understands the noble cockatiel https://potatopato.tumblr.com/

Tendai fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 19, 2016

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

I was looking at the pigeons owned by the person behind Manly Guys Doing Manly Things and now this thread and now I want pigeons :kimchi:

Also look at the fat conures aaaagh

EDIT: Oh hell just look at her tumblr, she truly understands the noble cockatiel https://potatopato.tumblr.com/

Her Tumblr captures the idiocy and extreme overconfidence of the cockatiel so well

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
saved a baby pigeon a few years ago. they looked dumb but actually very intelligent, most birds we saved takes a day or two to understand the situation to accept hand feeding, this pigeon gets it in a few hours. good memories for sure, and very territorial. when he consider "this is my perch" then you cannot forcefully remove him. I mean, yea you can certainly put him back in the cage he won't murder you like a cockatoo does...... but he will keep making "goo-goo goo-goo" sound all night until he get back to the loving spot he wanted.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Zakrello posted:

saved a baby pigeon a few years ago. they looked dumb but actually very intelligent, most birds we saved takes a day or two to understand the situation to accept hand feeding, this pigeon gets it in a few hours. good memories for sure, and very territorial. when he consider "this is my perch" then you cannot forcefully remove him. I mean, yea you can certainly put him back in the cage he won't murder you like a cockatoo does...... but he will keep making "goo-goo goo-goo" sound all night until he get back to the loving spot he wanted.

My sister and I have each nursed pigeons (wing injuries) back to health. Hers was named Harry and was first. Mine was named Larry, to remind us of Harry. They were way smarter than we expected, but we weren't expecting much.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know why people complain about noise from birds, any birds, compared to human children.

Also I'm not allowed to bring my birds to the office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST6cp4t872k

quote:

This is roughly two minutes of what has been going on for what is now an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXxO-3Z2yMI&t=22s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Point.

Counterpoint: Have you ever been in the room while a Pokemon movie was playing for an hour?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have both children and birds. A single Sun conure is louder than a 5 year old's birthday party.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Queztal's a Chinese painted quail, yep! I doubt I'll get any eggs from him since he calls all the time.

e: I can't get the embed to work :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnFyNQakSeY
In case the embed doesn't work. Also I argue with my birds a lot.

I'm working on getting a stand for his cage since right now I have to crouch down and over to get him out so I can change food/water and that activates his "AW HECK NO" jumps.

GoldStandardConure posted:

How does Beato feel about pudding?

I dunno yet! I'll grab some after work tonight and see how she reacts to it when I get home.

Also, I love my doves to hell and back despite repeated threats of "I'm gonna eat you" because this is the sort of thing I hear for several hours because I have three of them.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 19, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

little_firebird posted:

e: I can't get the embed to work :(

Fixed it for you :)

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I really love quails, doves are pretty cool too. I need more videos of quail noises :3:

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

learnincurve posted:

A single Sun conure is louder than a 5 year old's birthday party.

confirmed truth

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

little_firebird posted:

Hello again bird crazies, here are my birds

Quetzalquailtl

He is a small ball of anger.

Beato

She is queen of the lamp.

Noticeable talents: an abysmal mothering instinct to unfertilized eggs.

Velcro

He is a big ole' mean bully to the rest and insists that every corner of his cage is a nesting spot. Yes, even that one. And that one.

Smokey AKA Prissy-Stompy

He's the quietest of the bunch but he is also a huuuuuuge princess--

...from another dimension. Smokey, could you just...just maybe--

There we go. Smokey is a rescue bird from Roseberry Bird Rescue so his age is questionable at best. He's definitely on the older range if the color of his feet are anything to go by. :v:

are those doves?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dreggon posted:

are those doves?

Yes, they are fat little pidges :kimchi:

Oh, and one fat little quail. :3:

Aug 24, 2011

i have doves in the backyard

sometimes they try to gently caress

other times they try to eat the cockatoo food and gaston tries to bite them

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Aww bless, Lucy feels the same way about broccoli as Eric does.

aaand now we are moping.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

who wants to see a baby grey?!
http://imgur.com/a/Rj5ir

Album preview:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Give me that babby!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Album preview:

Aaaa I'm dead.

In related African Grey news, Gandalf has decided he's talking again, but is still too shy to do it when anyone is in the room with him.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Album preview:

Oh my godddddddddddddddd

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Hi bird thread, I missed 754 posts of birds I imagine. Just swinging by to deliver this: duckings going wild.

Sorry if it's been posted already! :shobon:

Also Bird that new(?) avatar is wonderful.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Album preview:

I really need to scan the baby pics of my Grey.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thyrork posted:

Also Bird that new(?) avatar is wonderful.

Thanks very much! Good duck gif. :3:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I got to volunteer at the bird shelter again.

The severe with the cockatiel flight came up to the wire mesh and followed me around this time :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh man that baby grey :kimchi:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dreggon posted:

i have doves in the backyard

sometimes they try to gently caress

other times they try to eat the cockatoo food and gaston tries to bite them

How often do you feed the cockatoos? Does the flock keep one on watch in case you leave them food

My family used to feed the crows in my neighborhood because we're all weirdos they'd have one on watch in the yard. Whichever one got that pecked the back door until we fed them a few times in the winter. They also knew what my dad's car looked like and would start heading to the yard when he saw it because they knew they'd probably get some old cold cuts when he got home.

Edit: I think I posted them long ago but I have some pictures of Charlie and his siblings from when he was still weaning if anyone wants to see them again.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Edit: I think I posted them long ago but I have some pictures of Charlie and his siblings from when he was still weaning if anyone wants to see them again.
YES.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'll be graduating college in about 2 years and should hopefully be able to finally afford the bird I've wanted for a long time (african grey) those baby pictures make the wait harder.

They also convince me I'll need to own a better camera by the time I buy the bird so I can flood the thread.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

babby grey!

even when young they look like they are plotting...

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
NIcky's new cage arrived on Friday. He's been...suspicious.

But a little bit of food can entice him to explore a bit.

He's still not all that comfortable with it yet though, and basically spends all of his time on his old cage, despite his toys' gradual migration starting to begin.

He also has taken to occasionally trying to fly if he's too fired up (usually if he thinks we should start making breakfast and we haven't yet) which results in him dropping like a flustered feather-covered rock. Afterwards, he always looks a little confused/embarrassed/upset, and steps up readily for a free ride back up on to his cage. I wouldn't mind as much if I weren't worried about him hurting himself falling, so we're probably going to have to either start moving breakfast earlier, or start playing with him to distract him when he starts his "I want breakfast now" tantrums.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Just got news that the people who own Marlo (umbrella 'too, I think I mentioned in the thread at least a couple times) are looking to rehome him.

I got a phone call asking if I wanted to take him, the couple is over 70 and they're worried about their ability to care for him as they get older. I'm in college right now and living in the dorms most of the year so it's completely impossible for me to take him in, which is a huge shame. He's such a lovely bird and well behaved bird. Extremely friendly even with complete strangers who visit his owner's home just to talk about business stuff once every year or so. They know I love that bird so it was real sweet for them to even think of calling me, only wish I could do more.

Anybody in, or near, southern Maine want a 'too? I'm right near the border so all points New Hampshire/Massachusetts are no more than a few hours drive tops. I don't actually know if the owners would even let me recommend a possible candidate to them, but I figured I could ask them if anybody here wanted him.

A fun Marlo story to bait the hook. When I first met Marlo I was already well versed in the potential destructive power of an angry cockatoo, and also knew that some 'toos would get super territorial about their preferred people, even going so far as to be openly aggressive to anybody who came to close. So when his owner brought Marlo with him to the kitchen table for our appointment I was just a bit apprehensive. When Marlo leaped from his shoulder to the table (a good couple feet distance) with a muffled thump and then duck walked his way over to me I was downright afraid.

I figured that the owner would have done something if aggressiveness was a possibility, so I just warily watched the bird while trying to continue to do my work. That kind of went the wayside though when he stole my pen. I was using it to gesture and make notes when he gentle took it in his beak and held it in one claw, playing with it. I took another from my pocket rather than trying to get my pen back, his owner was of course scolding him and apologizing to me, when Marlo took the second pen and let the first one drop. Obviously it was more fun since it was the one I was using. His owner was apologizing more and trying to get the two pens back.

When the owner loudly called the birds name, putting on an authoritative voice, Marlo simply put his crest up at full mast, squawked back at him, dropped the pen, and ran into my chest. He had to step up onto my forearm to get close enough, and he just lay against my chest, his head literally pressed against me. The owner told me he was asking for a hug so I took my other arm and put it around his back while he got super poofy. Best friends forever.

I did get the pens back before I left though.

So no jokin', anybody feel like being a cockatoo momma/poppa?

Aug 24, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Album preview:

thank you

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

How often do you feed the cockatoos? Does the flock keep one on watch in case you leave them food

My family used to feed the crows in my neighborhood because we're all weirdos they'd have one on watch in the yard. Whichever one got that pecked the back door until we fed them a few times in the winter. They also knew what my dad's car looked like and would start heading to the yard when he saw it because they knew they'd probably get some old cold cuts when he got home.

i feed them when they show up, which is occasionally

there are some magpies who we feed behind the house (i dont feel safe with them in the yard because we have cats) and they know what a food tub looks like and i'm pretty sure they recognise my car

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Been keeping my eye out for a decent quality used cage on kijiji but it's mostly just depressing. So many ads for birds people don't have time for (lots of baby parrots 1yr>) or requests for large cages for totally unreasonable prices. I think the ones that make me the most angry are the ones that people obviously have put no thought into ('Give me a hand tamed parrot, a cage, toys and accessories, it's my thirteen year old's birthday, offering $10'). I may just buy a new cage at this rate. :sigh: