Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

I read through We Stand on Guard which I thought was incredibly lame, and then I read Chrononauts which I thought was a bunch of silly fun.

I like the We Stand On Guard concept but the execution was subpar. The ending there bothered me too, but the problems with that series are deeper than just the ending.

I totally did not get anything about Iraq War 2 from it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It was around the time that a character said "You Americans are so stupid that you haven't even figured out the Metric System" that I realized that it felt like a comic that was for people who just realized that the United States isn't perfect.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Man, the more the taste lingers the more I wish Brubaker and Phillips would do more period pieces like The Fade Out. Not that I was left unsatisfied by it, I just really want more, it gripped me in a way their other contemporary setting series haven't really. I love James Ellroy and they managed to explore that setting without making it too derivative considering how much fiction you have set in 1940s-1950s LA.
I guess they're just doing Kill or Be Killed now, which seemed ehhh, okay. For some reason for me it kind of felt (well judging just off of one issue) like Wanted but without all the Mark Millar lameness.

I have the third Fade Out volume, but I'm saving it so I can reread the entire series at once, when I have some free time to relax.

I'm also a huge James Ellroy fan. Did you know there's a graphic novel version of The Black Dahlia, that David Fincher worked on? I haven't read it yet, but how great does that sound?

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Dahlia...cher#nav-subnav

Other Ellroy-esque comics I've read include Howard Chaykin and David Tischmann's American Century #5-8 (collected in the American Century: Hollywood Babylon TPB, which is super-cheap on Amazon) and James Robinson's Vigilante: Prairie Lights, City Justice miniseries from the mid-'90s (which features some pretty poor art, unfortunately).

Roth posted:

I've started checking out non-mainstream superhero comics more and more lately, and it's been a breath of fresh air even though I still like to read superhero comics.

I read through We Stand on Guard which I thought was incredibly lame, and then I read Chrononauts which I thought was a bunch of silly fun.

Now I've got a bunch of stuff lined up to read: Black Magick, Lazarus, Outcast, Black Science, Low, Tokyo Ghost, Saga, Chew, Manifest Destiny, Astro City, Deadly Class, The Wicked + The Divine, East of West, Preacher, The Sandman, Global Frequency, Daytripper, Irredeemable, and I Kill Giants. I already caught up on Southern Bastards, Sheriff of Babylon, and The Autmnlands and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Add Sex Criminals and Planetary to that list, and possibly Mind MGMT (although I've only read the first volume, I liked it quite a bit).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 20, 2016

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

I like the We Stand On Guard concept but the execution was subpar. The ending there bothered me too, but the problems with that series are deeper than just the ending.

I totally did not get anything about Iraq War 2 from it though.

Sorry, on a closer look, I should have said "all of the US's gently caress ups in the Middle East" since his criticisms do go beyond just the Iraq War.

The parallels in WSoG in particular include but are not limited to: The concerns over insurgencies, the "this war is totally because of a terrorist attack that definitely came from Canada, we're absolutely not using extremely dubious reasons for launching this war what are you talking about" premise, throwing innocent people into black sites, torturing people in ways that don't leave physical marks, "blood for water", the conclusion in which the insurgency just goes full vengeful nihilist , fight them there so we don't have to fight there here, drones (which he unsubtly links directly to the Middle East in one line of dialogue), and so on. Some of these are definitely the 2003 Iraq war, some are Iraq War and Afghanistan War, one seems more about solely the Afghanistan war, some seem more regarding just America's behaviour in the Middle East in general..

Man, rereading this comic reminds me of all the hiarious, stupid, and hilariously stupid things in it: The Eye Spy Canadiana (I just noticed this time that he even brings in Beaver Tails), the terrible French, the idea that anglophones would care about a francophone actor, the immaculately white clothing, "two-four", mentioning Superman being a death sentence , hosers, etc.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe. I think a lot of that is just commentary on US foreign policy in general, which yeah the book is about.

And anglos totally care about Roch Voisine! It's possible that an actor could reach those heights :) the absurd pandering was mostly funny, but not good writing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Add Sex Criminals and Planetary to that list, and possibly Mind MGMT (although I've only read the first volume, I liked it quite a bit).

I just read the first three issues of Sex Criminals and the song scene sold me on this series.

Edit - I'll probably check out Planetary and Mind MGMT later on. I think I've already got enough on my plate, and I'm planning on making my next major "project" Hickman's runs on Fantastic Four and Avengers.

Roth fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 21, 2016

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Mind MGMT is solid all the way through in my opinion, each arc builds on the last and gets better and better, highly recommend

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Sleeper is my favorite Brubaker/Phillips collaboration. It's supervillain-noir-espionage, and it's soul-crushing and awesome. If you try it, make sure you read the prequel, Point Blank, although it's by a different artist who isn't as good as Sean Phillips (Colin Wilson).

The Wildstorm Universe used to be a separate continuity that included the character from Wildcats, Gen13, Stormwatch (which became the Authority), and Planetary. When Jim Lee sold Wildstorm Comics (his imprint within Image Comics) to DC, they maintained their own universe, but were eventually, quietly folded into the DCU.

Wildstorm had some continuity problems (Authority barely sat in the general world at all) but had some goud stuff in there. The solo Majestic titles were all gold. Sleeper and Planetary need no introduction. Alan Moore's WildCATS run was good, as was WildCATS 3.0 which was a very different take on a superhero team: what challenges would a team trying to use the things they found on their adventures to better society face? How would it affect the powers that be, and what fundamentals of modern life would it change?

Of course then there's a lot of garbage like Millar's Authority run which cannot ne regarded as in continuity.

Editorial deciding to have the superhuman apocalypse actually happen could have spawned cool stuff but for the lovely creative teams.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Is anyone reading Injection? I just picked up the second trade and I'm really enjoying it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Wildstorm had some continuity problems (Authority barely sat in the general world at all) but had some goud stuff in there. The solo Majestic titles were all gold. Sleeper and Planetary need no introduction. Alan Moore's WildCATS run was good, as was WildCATS 3.0 which was a very different take on a superhero team: what challenges would a team trying to use the things they found on their adventures to better society face? How would it affect the powers that be, and what fundamentals of modern life would it change?

Of course then there's a lot of garbage like Millar's Authority run which cannot ne regarded as in continuity.

Editorial deciding to have the superhuman apocalypse actually happen could have spawned cool stuff but for the lovely creative teams.

After enjoying Ellis' Authority, I absolutely hated Millar's run. It was my first exposure to Millar, but his work always has such a mean-spirited streak that I've never enjoyed it.

Except for Superman Adventures. I have no idea how that came about.

But Planetary, Sleeper, and Wildcats series 2/Wildcats 3.0 may all be in my top ten favorite series of all time.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

After enjoying Ellis' Authority, I absolutely hated Millar's run. It was my first exposure to Millar, but his work always has such a mean-spirited streak that I've never enjoyed it.

Except for Superman Adventures. I have no idea how that came about.

But Planetary, Sleeper, and Wildcats series 2/Wildcats 3.0 may all be in my top ten favorite series of all time.

I always found it easiest to just read the good stuff from Wildstorm and completely ignore the rest; there wasn't a lot of crossover most of the time, at least in things like Planetary, Sleeper and such. I even enjoyed Stormwatch for the most part (though I probably couldn't sit through it today) though the Aliens-murder-crossover ending was really weak. I get that Ellis wanted to do Authority and Wildstorm wanted to milk their licensed property, it just felt really forced. "Superheroes" as a genre is way too focused on heroic agency to work well with the cramped horror narrative of Aliens stuff and so suddenly all these heroes were just hapless babes before an enemy we knew very well could lose a fight to a cargo loading robot. Ugh, sorry, rant over.

DC buying Wildstorm pretty much spelled doom from the beginning and they steadily starved it away, filed off the edges that made it interesting to its fanbase, and then did the dumbest possible thing in folding it into the mainstream DCU, never to be heard from again. They also, to this day, maintain that Apollo is an analogue of The Ray lest any version of Superman be gay.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

DC buying Wildstorm pretty much spelled doom from the beginning and they steadily starved it away, filed off the edges that made it interesting to its fanbase, and then did the dumbest possible thing in folding it into the mainstream DCU, never to be heard from again. They also, to this day, maintain that Apollo is an analogue of The Ray lest any version of Superman be gay.

Wildstorm has published all its best comics (including Alan Moore's ABC line) after the DC buyout, the problem down the line was Paul Levitz loving up relations with Moore, Millar and Ennis, while Lee was more interested in doing DC superhero pin-ups than maintaining the brand.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

occamsnailfile posted:

filed off the edges that made it interesting to its fanbase, and then did the dumbest possible thing in folding it into the mainstream DCU, never to be heard from again.

Last year's Midnighter series was fantastic, just FYI.

e: Brandon Graham's Arclight is finally getting another issue.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08...rfaust-returns/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 23, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Avatar has a Kickstarter going basically to preorder the second volume of Kieron Gillen's Uber. Reward tiers include digital copies of the upcoming series, digital copies of the entire series to date, physical copies of the series to date in a slipcase, and more. It's already fully funded, but $29 for the series to date is totally worth it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/avatarpress/uber-invasion

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
wow I'm not super super high on Uber what with all the Churchill fetishizing and cornball DBZ NAZIIIIS but that is kind of what the whole appeal of the series is and it was a hell of a lot of fun. That's a great deal that I'm definitely weighing getting in on and I can't wait for the continuing series.
it felt like the kind of series that should have some videogame or something based on it, since a lot of the chapters seemed to be "HERE'S A NEW CLASS TYPE THAT IS THE ROCK/PAPER/SCISSORS FOR ANOTHER ONE".

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Picked these up:

Snotgirl #2: Hard to pinpoint what I love above this comic, but I do. The protagonist's unreliable viewpoint makes things interesting plot-wise, and I love the egotistical-based comedy.

Lake of Fire #1: Really enjoyed this, great mixture of genres. The art style and writing work really well together to sell the comedy and pacing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Island has some pretty stuff this week. Still no continuation of the people being transformed by a cult into posthuman entities story though :argh:

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

SynthOrange posted:

Island has some pretty stuff this week. Still no continuation of the people being transformed by a cult into posthuman entities story though :argh:

Oh Ancestor is next month right? That's probably been the best thing so far, looking forward to it.

Island if not consistent in terms of stories that get included is definitely is worth it for the eclectic collection of cool artists/artwork.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

the Gaffe posted:

Snotgirl #2: Hard to pinpoint what I love above this comic, but I do. The protagonist's unreliable viewpoint makes things interesting plot-wise, and I love the egotistical-based comedy.

The anxiety of Lottie is entertaining. She is validating my suspicion that her 'friend' may be a delusion, although it hasn't been confirmed. Although I just read it last night so, much like the first issue, I had to look for subtle clues to what may be going on. What I can say is that the art is expressive and they are speaking to the introverted personality that many readers have in common. At least I do, even though I am not a fashion blogger that has allergies. She has the symptoms of borderline personality and this (what could be) imaginary person is someone who she wishes she could be. The allergies Lottie has, could be a representation of anyone who has anxiety/borderline's fierce self criticism through their struggle with identity. I might have to go back and read the end, because I don't remember the detective stating why he was interested in Lottie.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

XTORT posted:

The anxiety of Lottie is entertaining. She is validating my suspicion that her 'friend' may be a delusion, although it hasn't been confirmed. Although I just read it last night so, much like the first issue, I had to look for subtle clues to what may be going on. What I can say is that the art is expressive and they are speaking to the introverted personality that many readers have in common. At least I do, even though I am not a fashion blogger that has allergies. She has the symptoms of borderline personality and this (what could be) imaginary person is someone who she wishes she could be. The allergies Lottie has, could be a representation of anyone who has anxiety/borderline's fierce self criticism through their struggle with identity. I might have to go back and read the end, because I don't remember the detective stating why he was interested in Lottie.

The delusion theory might not work out since her friends were talking about her as well.

The snot metaphor is well crafted. The allergies representing the inherent inability to be our idealized perfect self, and the cultural problem of accepting that. Hence Lottie trying to fix the problem with more medication.

and of course the wordplay of Lottie being what many would call a snottie/upstuck person.

---

I don't think it was revealed yet as to why the detective is interested in her.

the Gaffe fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 25, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Youngblood is being rebooted with X-Men '92's writer and a new artist who Liefeld recruited after seeing his redesigns on Twitter, which is pretty darn sweet.
http://www.newsarama.com/30788-liefeld-revives-youngblood-with-surprise-creative-team.html

The artist reminds me a lot of Doc Shaner.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 26, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really like that art style.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Shaft finally has a bowstring, and it only took 30 years

(He also looks a LOT like Hawkeye from the Fraction run.)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 26, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-O posted:

I really like that art style.

yeah, very down for this.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Youngblood is being rebooted with X-Men '92's writer and a new artist who Liefeld recruited after seeing his redesigns on Twitter, which is pretty darn sweet.
http://www.newsarama.com/30788-liefeld-revives-youngblood-with-surprise-creative-team.html

The artist reminds me a lot of Doc Shaner.

Please tell me this is still going to use the (Brandon Graham) Prophet's timeline.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Possibly not, thought they apparently have the same freedom to reinvent stuff as Graham.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Away from the internet for a bit so read some more indies.

Alex & Ada: It seems to raise interesting questions about sentience and then just not really do anything with them. Plots threads left dangling and characterizations that only really work if you read a ton into minor actions. That said I liked it, but the ending kind of puttered out. The art is ... serviceable.

Lazarus: I loved Lark from Gotham Central and Scene of the crime, and Rucka is one of my favorite authors. I was expecting it to be good but holy poo poo this comic is so good. The problem with this comic is that I'm caught up to it and need to start buying the floppies, which means collecting the entire thing with floppies because of brain problems.

Gladstone's School for something something villains: this is the most anime comic I've ever read. I don't generally read mangas or watch anime so that's not to say that it's over the top or anything, but it's definitely noticeable I'm both the art and the dialogue. I stopped a bit after the first volume, which seemed to be setting the stage for some fun crazy hijinks. I am curious to see how they tie it all together. Its a fun read.

Transhuman, Red Wing, and The Nightly News: Hickman has yet to do wrong by me. I love his stuff. I don't really have a highlight here, they're all great. I love the design elements in the nightly news and the early indications of Hickmans's love for infographics. Red Wing had some confusing time travel stuff that reminds me of his FF run. Transhuman is interesting as a business story as much as a technology / futurist story.

The Fuse v1 and v2: is there there going to be more? this is superb. I'm a huge sucker for crime fiction set in unique environments, and I really want to see more of this world.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I really like the Fuse but I have such a nitpicky gripe-- their space station design looked absolutely terrible on like the one two-page spread they did for it. They should have just copy and pasted a Stanford Torus from Wikipedia or something.

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016
So Fuse stays pretty strong then? Is there an overarching plot to the series or is it more along the lines of "Law & Order: Space Victims Unit"?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Replica is pretty fun for space cop shenannigans.

WHERE'S ISSUE #6 :cry:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Replica is pretty fun for space cop shenannigans.

WHERE'S ISSUE #6 :cry:

I liked Copperhead for space sheriff shenanigans, the author promises it's eventually going to come back but by now, kind of losing hope.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kim & Kim's not doing anything for me, despite the premise.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Tokyo Ghost was pretty good overall I think. A bit juvenile as I think somebody else here pointed out, but it was fun, and I mostly just liked the art. I don't think I would have bothered with it if it wasn't going to end at issue 10 though.

At least, I think it was supposed to end at issue 10.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just assume Remender would rather stop one of his own series than replace it's artist.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Has anybody else checked out Cryptocracy? Seems like it might be pretty good. Kinda has an MiB vibe to it but also like deus ex where it's slamming together everything paranormal and conspiracy into one story.

Sad to see that Jade Street Protection Services issue 2 is still not out yet

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So I've been trying to read Alan Moore's run on Supreme and while i can recognize what he's doing I just find it boring to the point that I've been sitting on it for like three weeks now and I haven't even made it halfway through yet. I'm blaming this on not being a Superman reader and especially on not having read any golden/silver age stuff. Is this an acceptable excuse or am I not a true comic fan?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

site posted:

So I've been trying to read Alan Moore's run on Supreme and while i can recognize what he's doing I just find it boring to the point that I've been sitting on it for like three weeks now and I haven't even made it halfway through yet. I'm blaming this on not being a Superman reader and especially on not having read any golden/silver age stuff. Is this an acceptable excuse or am I not a true comic fan?

I kinda felt the same way about it to be honest. It's certainly not a bad comic, but it wasn't really for me. At a certain point with that kind of stuff it's like "ok maybe wrap up all this self-referentiality and tell an actual story"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yay Saga is back again!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Is anyone going to Cartoon Crossroads Columbus (CxC) this year? I went last year and it was great, they had a lot of indie cartoonists like Jeff Smith, Art Spiegelman, the guys behind Love and Rockets, Kate Beaton, Derf Backderf... It's really cool to be at a comics convention exclusively about comics and not the ephemera.

This year it's Wednesday October 12th through the weekend with most of the events and expo during the weekend. Big guests are Sergio Aragones, Charles Burns, Garry Trudeau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

I liked Copperhead for space sheriff shenanigans, the author promises it's eventually going to come back but by now, kind of losing hope.

Copperhead is pretty awesome. The relationship between Clara and Boo is loving great and makes it. If he did not hate her so much it would not be a very interesting comic.