Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Has there been any word about Builders heading to the west? It is definitely My poo poo and I'd probably buy a console over it.

October 11 for US, October 14 for Europe.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-quest-builders-announced-for-north-america-/1100-6440267/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
And it's getting a physical release!

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Fantastic! Is there a chance of a steam release? I'm not averse to buying a PS4 but I think any minecraft-like is going to be more fun with the PC community.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't believe the game has multiplayer unless I'm wrong. If you're averse to getting a ps4 you could get a PSTV for like 40 bucks that can play Builders on a TV or monitor.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Doing a DWM2 stream if anyone cares. Nothing special, just finishing the game proper.

https://www.twitch.tv/skunkrocker/

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I had not heard of DQ builder until just now in this thread, but it looks really neat and I'm seriously thinking about picking up a copy in October.

On another note, if anyone is curious about the release dates for the physical vs. digital versions of DQ VII and VIII for the 3DS on Amazon, I have some feedback. I actually called them and asked for a written reply and did indeed receive one. Long story short is that they don't post a release date for physical media until they have assurance from their supplier that they will have the goods on a certain day. Apparently, they haven't received that assurance and so the cartridge versions of both VII and VIII are currently listed for the end of December, which is Amazon's way of saying "hosed if we know!". I'm going to keep an eye on Amazon until the start of September and, if they haven't sorted out their poo poo by then, I'll buy VII elsewhere. I have Prime already and I do want the discount, but this game is not going to have a huge production run for physical copies and I don't want to miss out. We did a lot of strategic bitching to get these games localised and I want to play them.

My other question, to which I received no reply, was why the digital versions of VII *and* VIII were slated for the same day. Unless I am woefully mistaken, they are not nearly done with DQVIII for the 3DS and it isn't even planned for a 2016 release.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I had not heard of DQ builder until just now in this thread, but it looks really neat and I'm seriously thinking about picking up a copy in October.

On another note, if anyone is curious about the release dates for the physical vs. digital versions of DQ VII and VIII for the 3DS on Amazon, I have some feedback. I actually called them and asked for a written reply and did indeed receive one. Long story short is that they don't post a release date for physical media until they have assurance from their supplier that they will have the goods on a certain day. Apparently, they haven't received that assurance and so the cartridge versions of both VII and VIII are currently listed for the end of December, which is Amazon's way of saying "hosed if we know!". I'm going to keep an eye on Amazon until the start of September and, if they haven't sorted out their poo poo by then, I'll buy VII elsewhere. I have Prime already and I do want the discount, but this game is not going to have a huge production run for physical copies and I don't want to miss out. We did a lot of strategic bitching to get these games localised and I want to play them.

My other question, to which I received no reply, was why the digital versions of VII *and* VIII were slated for the same day. Unless I am woefully mistaken, they are not nearly done with DQVIII for the 3DS and it isn't even planned for a 2016 release.

My understanding was that DQVIII was going to have a December 2016 release.

I feel like Nintendo themselves said this?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Skeezy posted:

My understanding was that DQVIII was going to have a December 2016 release.

I feel like Nintendo themselves said this?

That sounds perfectly reasonable, but Amazon says 16 September for the digital version of both VII and VIII - that's what makes me very uneasy. I could understand if they knew that DQVII digital would be available 16 September and weren't sure about the physical version, but they are essentially saying right now that both games are due out the same day and I do not at all believe that to be the case.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

amazon is the only retailer saying that, i believe
someone screwed up the release dates and no one cared enough to fix it i guess

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Amazon also said that DQVII was DQVIII for the longest time. :shrug:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Felt like playing some DQ lately. I've never actually finished it but I started a new game in DQ2r for SFC, and got to the end in record time. I had lower levels than intended pretty much the whole way, including doing the Cave to Rhone at level 20. Unfortunately, you still need to grind to survive the endgame, the monsters in Rhone and Hargon's Castle are ridiculous. I surprisingly made it to Malroth at levels 27/25/21 and burned all my Wizard Rings thinking I'd have a shot. Nope - I simply lack the HP to deal with his nasty attacks. Gonna call it there for now since I kinda needed those rings to make it that far and I stupidly saved after I wiped. I don't feel like grinding anymore.

So I've moved onto DQ3r, and used randomthingpicker.org to roll a party. Got Fighter, Dealer, Mage. I'm gonna upgrade the Mage to Sage when I get to that point, but no class changing other than that. Should be interesting!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Fantastic! Is there a chance of a steam release? I'm not averse to buying a PS4 but I think any minecraft-like is going to be more fun with the PC community.

Dqh came to steam in march i think after an oct ps4 NA release so look for the same with dqb

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Ofecks posted:

So I've moved onto DQ3r, and used randomthingpicker.org to roll a party. Got Fighter, Dealer, Mage. I'm gonna upgrade the Mage to Sage when I get to that point, but no class changing other than that. Should be interesting!

Last time I did DQ3 with random classes I got 2 goofs. The early game sucked but after Dhama, my hero and his 3 wise men rolled pretty much everything :getin:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Fenrir posted:

Last time I did DQ3 with random classes I got 2 goofs. The early game sucked but after Dhama, my hero and his 3 wise men rolled pretty much everything :getin:

Sages are great. I've never had more than one because I can't be arsed to level up a goof-off, but they are very versatile without being overpowered (until you get multiple of them, perhaps). The one thing that moderates them somewhat is moderate offensive power due to a limited weapon selection, much like the pilgrim. I confess that I've never played any version of DQIII besides the NES one, and I noticed that they seem to have quite a few more weapon options in the remakes, so I wonder if they are even better in the Famicom/GBC/mobile versions.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

They're wizards, they have plenty of offensive power. I'm at the Tower of Shampane, and it occurred to me that while the Dealer is doing okay at the moment, they are the 2nd worst class and will definitely be a weaker link the further I go into the game. I could change them to a Sage instead of the Wizard, then I'd have two BiKills and still be able to use the Poison Needle for metal hunting. I'd have to have them read a Smart book though, Amazon/Sexy won't cut it for a caster. Just something for me to think about I guess.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I got DQV and I'm playing through it for the first time ever, this game seems like a bunch of rad adventures with dad, I wonder when things are going to-

...Oh.

...Oh.

Oh. Ok. :smith:

"Pankraz stoically endures the assault."

I figured something was going to happen but haha murdered dad and child slavery, that got bleak fast

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DQV is an incredible journey. Good luck on your quest for revenge

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I hope you're playing the DS version because the "joke" waifu they added is easily the best of the three options.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Awesome Welles posted:

I got DQV and I'm playing through it for the first time ever, this game seems like a bunch of rad adventures with dad, I wonder when things are going to-

...Oh.

...Oh.

Oh. Ok. :smith:

"Pankraz stoically endures the assault."

I figured something was going to happen but haha murdered dad and child slavery, that got bleak fast

DQV is my favorite game in the series. Enjoy, it's a hell of a ride.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah it's the DS version. Haven't gotten past that by much but I'm liking it so far. The only one I've beaten is 8 but I've played a ton of others off and on but I'm making the effort to put some time in and beat the others and it seems like everyone points to 5 as one of the best.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Awesome Welles posted:

Yeah it's the DS version. Haven't gotten past that by much but I'm liking it so far. The only one I've beaten is 8 but I've played a ton of others off and on but I'm making the effort to put some time in and beat the others and it seems like everyone points to 5 as one of the best.

Be sure to take advantage of the party chat - your companions have new thoughts pretty much every time you enter a new area or see a new cutscene, and it really helps flesh out the cast. Plus the writing is really quite charming.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I couldn't put DQV down. Started it and finished it in the span of a weekend. I never do that with RPGs not called Chrono Trigger.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I noticed that! I usually liked to do that in 8, mostly to hear more of what Yangus had to say about everything that was going on. So excited to have the 3DS port (eventually).

I heard the iOS/Android version of 4 is better than the DS because in the latter they removed the party chat? I like the idea of having all of the DQ games on one system but if it's that much better should I just get it on my phone?

Somewhat Nachos
Oct 18, 2004

#wifematerial
I've never found party chat to be essential, more of a nice bonus. They're otherwise the same, so I guess decide if you really want party chat or if you want better controls and, like you said, having them all on the same system. Or do what I did and buy them all for DS and phone. :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I hope you're playing the DS version because the "joke" waifu they added is easily the best of the three options.

Three wives, three save slots. :heysexy:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Awesome Welles posted:

I noticed that! I usually liked to do that in 8, mostly to hear more of what Yangus had to say about everything that was going on. So excited to have the 3DS port (eventually).

I heard the iOS/Android version of 4 is better than the DS because in the latter they removed the party chat? I like the idea of having all of the DQ games on one system but if it's that much better should I just get it on my phone?

Yeah, I would say so. Party chat makes it a lot better.

For example, in DQ4, there's a character in one of the towns that tells Alena she shouldn't be traveling around because she's a young girl. With Party Chat, you can finally hear her tell him to mind his own business. If there's someone that calls her a tomboy, she'll call them rude. Ordinarily she doesn't even talk. You can now see her say how bored she is in the castle, how she loves exploring, how fearless she is, and how worried the other party members are at her rushing into danger. It makes a big difference. It's much more fun. Definitely get it on phone.

Use party chat after you talk to every single person in the towns, the overworld after you do anything important, and every new floor of every dungeon.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 17, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

Sages are great. I've never had more than one because I can't be arsed to level up a goof-off, but they are very versatile without being overpowered (until you get multiple of them, perhaps). The one thing that moderates them somewhat is moderate offensive power due to a limited weapon selection, much like the pilgrim. I confess that I've never played any version of DQIII besides the NES one, and I noticed that they seem to have quite a few more weapon options in the remakes, so I wonder if they are even better in the Famicom/GBC/mobile versions.

Even on the NES their weapon selection wasn't that bad. They can use Zombie Slashers and the Orochi Sword. Their offense is just fine between that and wizard spells.

Ofecks posted:

They're wizards, they have plenty of offensive power. I'm at the Tower of Shampane, and it occurred to me that while the Dealer is doing okay at the moment, they are the 2nd worst class and will definitely be a weaker link the further I go into the game. I could change them to a Sage instead of the Wizard, then I'd have two BiKills and still be able to use the Poison Needle for metal hunting. I'd have to have them read a Smart book though, Amazon/Sexy won't cut it for a caster. Just something for me to think about I guess.

Sexy is just fine for casters. Amazon, on the other hand, uhhhh no.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fenrir posted:

Even on the NES their weapon selection wasn't that bad. They can use Zombie Slashers and the Orochi Sword. Their offense is just fine between that and wizard spells.

For real, anyone complaining about Sage offensive capability didn't play it properly. Just 2 sages is plenty unless you want to go the route of "get all spells, class change in to soldiers" ubermurder setups. Two sages means Bikill on your hero/solider in round 1 and any round immediately after your party effects are dispelled. Also Increase/SpeedUP in the same round for all your fast and tanky needs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only problem with party chat is that you can't see the lines of people not currently in the party, and in some games it's impossible to have everyone in the party at once.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really need to go back and replay DQV with Debora as the wife. It's my favorite DQ and everything I saw after the fact with her party chat-wise seemed awesome.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

For real, anyone complaining about Sage offensive capability didn't play it properly. Just 2 sages is plenty unless you want to go the route of "get all spells, class change in to soldiers" ubermurder setups. Two sages means Bikill on your hero/solider in round 1 and any round immediately after your party effects are dispelled. Also Increase/SpeedUP in the same round for all your fast and tanky needs.

I did that once; it was overkill. You can get on very well with just one wizardly caster and the sage fills that role perfectly, but I wouldn't want to just one healer/priest/pilgrim type. My optimal party if I ever would bother to level up a goof-off would probably be hero/soldier/sage/sage since the sage gets all the spells of the wizard and pilgrim, is slightly tougher than a pilgrim and has the same gear options.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fenrir posted:

I mean, isn't Sexy literally just head and shoulders above everything else that isn't the specific INT or STR heavy ones, because it's 110%+ on everything?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

It is. Too bad you can't force it during character creation. The Garter Belt is only 10 mini medals, thankfully.

JustJeff88 posted:

You can get on very well with just one wizardly caster and the sage fills that role perfectly

This is what I've decided. I went through the tower and got the Zen Scroll, but my Wizard's only lv 17. The Dealer will stay as she is. Also I didn't realize it until just now, but I've been putting all my Stam/Wis/HP/MP nuts into my Wizard... don't do this to characters you will class-change later, it's a total waste.

I was ill-prepared for the golden claw sidequest. A stupid mummy crit my hero and killed him halfway through the escape. I pressed on, but he had a boomerang and I needed his damage, nor did I think to buy a bunch of herbs for healing beforehand. I wiped and thought "RIP my gold, at least I have the claw now". NOPE, you have to escape the Pyramid *alive* with it to keep it, so I had to do the whole thing again. :suicide:

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 18, 2016

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Just beat DQM2 3DS post game after taking like an 8 month break, good game, shame it's never coming to the west. Off to go beat Joker 3 now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Neo Helbeast posted:

Just beat DQM2 3DS post game after taking like an 8 month break, good game, shame it's never coming to the west.

I-It might... :smith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Justin_Brett posted:

Right after the FFL2 DS remake... :smith:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Justin_Brett posted:

Don't make me want. :smith:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Right after the FFL2 DS remake... :smith:

Romancing Saga 2 just came out in English for the first time, go play that game.

EDIT: iOS/Android, $17.99. It's a 2D game but it looks quite good and not nearly as awful as S-E's usual 2D smartphone garbage.

EDIT EDIT: Vita version is still JP-only for now.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 21, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Romancing Saga 2 just came out in English for the first time, go play that game.

EDIT: iOS/Android/Vita, $17.99. It's a 2D game but it looks quite good and not nearly as awful as S-E's usual 2D smartphone garbage.

The English version is not to my knowledge on the Vita (though they said it might be coming). Is this not the case? Did it come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Prism posted:

The English version is not to my knowledge on the Vita (though they said it might be coming). Is this not the case? Did it come out?

Ah, you're right, I mixed it up with the remake of the first Mana game which is another smartphone-to-Vita remake that just showed up in English with no warning.