Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
We are alive! Kinda. I've been talking with NGDBSS, who was kind enough to offer making our save file, roughly, from scratch. So now that it's opportune, we're going to start posting the last of our reservoir while we get the files going!

Enjoy Episode 37: We're Back! and Episode 38: Kentucky Smith and the Man-Eating Box.
Again, thanks NGDBSS!

DrTempest fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So funnily enough the reason those hollows kept showing up is that you were lighting the torches, which in the gutter alerts enemy hollows to your location, and because it's a relatively large area with a bunch of drops and ladders they slowly make their way to you after you light certain torches alerting them. Hollowing is the health loss effect, as you die you become more hollowed essentially, so the Dark Pyromancy Flame is at it's strongest when you yourself are at half health.

I'm pretty sure you missed a torch light point beneath where the mimic was, although I can't remember if this place actually has anything for lighting all of the torches, or even if they changed that between normal and scholar of the first sin.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
IT LIVES

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet merciful poo poo I sound drunk as gently caress.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So, uh, you guys mentioned that a puzzle focused on lighting all the torches in an area would be cool. That's in fact a thing in Scholar's version of the Gutter, though some of the torches are in more hidden spots.

And at least these two videos have some very helpful shots on reconstructing stuff. I was surprised to see how little equipment you two had picked up, since I'm generally a packrat who will scavenge anything and everything in the game world to the point of sometimes having to drop poo poo that I can no longer hold.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NGDBSS posted:

So, uh, you guys mentioned that a puzzle focused on lighting all the torches in an area would be cool. That's in fact a thing in Scholar's version of the Gutter, though some of the torches are in more hidden spots.

And at least these two videos have some very helpful shots on reconstructing stuff. I was surprised to see how little equipment you two had picked up, since I'm generally a packrat who will scavenge anything and everything in the game world to the point of sometimes having to drop poo poo that I can no longer hold.

We stuck every redundant thing we weren't actually using in a box at some point, to cut down on the amount of on-camera scrolling through stuff.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 39: Back to Square One and Episode 40: The One Where We Get Another Whip now up!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alternate episode titles include:
• Token of Spite
• I Have Angered A Pig
• Double Dutch Death
• Map Quest
• I Could Not Find the Hole

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
If memory serves, I thiiiiiink there's another loose end somewhere on the outer walls of the Tseldora cathedral.

I WAS going to say that as much as I appreciate your dedication to making the whip work, you'll never have a spincrit Atterax in this game, but no it turns out all you needed to do was take the TWOOOO GRAKATA approach.

Also that was a good :takei:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Double whipping around the trees is hilariously effective for how goofy the animation looks.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 41: The Adventures of Master Glencour and Episode 42: Harvest Valley: Friends of Majula Town now up!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Now consider the implications of Warmth in the context of invasions.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm surprised neither of you commented on the wildly flailing whip shortly before the Skeleton Lords. Though speaking of them, their gimmick is that they and their summoned adds collectively share a health bar. Unlike the Four Kings, any overflow after killing a target won't also deplete the main health bar, so you're required to fight them legitimately instead of wandering into a Three Kings situation. But if you really want to go crazy...try killing all the Lords at once to summon their adds.

That fight was changed somewhat from the original version. In that, each add pack (sword-and-board/dual falchions/bonewheels) had four skeletons. Scholar instead changed this up to something like 10 sword-and-board/6 dual falchion/2 bonewheel, because even after being tuned downward four bonewheels will still rock your world if you're not supremely careful.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

You came so close to the end of the path at Heide's tower of Flame. A few more tries and you would have de-populated most of the enemies bar the Dragon.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 43: Sun Brodger and Episode 44: Like a Like Like now up!

Just four more episodes until we're ready to go.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
So when do you guys realize that poison is not acid?

Also acid doesn't break your weapons, only your armor/rings afaik.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Deflecting that lizard off of the hole path only to fall into the hole yourself. :allears:

I completely forgot the Covetous Demon could do that, and am pleased to be reminded.

If memory serves when it comes to the whole poison-coating thing, you can think of your entire character model as a vertical status bar, and the poison-coating drains down over time at a set rate, which has implications for how you approach the stuff and how much of it you come into contact with.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm guessing your invader was also new to the game? They were turtling pretty hard there instead of being aggressive when you were near death.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 45: More Gutters! More Prizes! I Love It! and Episode 46: Toro! now up!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Holy poo poo you don't even need to jump between those rooftops in the Lost Bastille? :psyduck: I never noticed the beams.

Despite you two, well, trying, it's not necessary to make some crazy leap to the side area of the Gutter with the Heide Knight. Instead, you can just drop down from some nearby platforms after the bridge.

I guess that first gray spirit really wanted the Catarina Helm? Now that you've seen it I should mention that there is a very early opportunity to grab it, but doing so requires getting a random drop from an NPC on NG+ or higher.

The Belfry Gargoyles are likely among the worst boss fights in the game, since often you'll have at least three at once in a very cramped but featureless space. In fact their spawn triggers are based on how much damage is done to the shared health pool - two show up at the beginning, the third appears at 90%, the fourth at 70%, and the fifth at 50%. It really helps to focus your attacks on one at a time, so I was surprised to see you eventually succeed after not locking on to gauge their positions and check health bars.

Elemental buffs work differently in DS2. Basically, any elemental buff applies a flat AR increase of the appropriate damage type (generally I've heard 50?), then applies a multiplier to all elemental damage (somewhere between x1.15 and x1.3) of that type. The result is that not only can you buff nearly anything (including infused weapons), but also that you can get far more effect out of buffing infused weapons because they start with more of that element to begin with.

But while spell buffs such as to weapons don't scale off your casting stats or modifiers from casting implements, getting those stats up is still useful. In particular, most buffs that aren't pyromancies scale their duration based on a relevant casting stat. (Iron Flesh just doesn't last long, apparently.)

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 47: Copse-Camping and Episode 48: Almost 33 Minutes of Bashing our Heads into a Wall and Dying Over and Over: Part 2. now up!

Next set of episodes starts us with our new file. Until then, enjoy!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm sure you're past this part by now, but the way I've found best to deal with the Torturers outside Undead Purgatory is to pull them one at a time with a bow. You can even get extra headshot damage if you shoot their heads! Also, well, I think you can see why I recommended boosting Adaptability on PMs.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Your torturers were bizarrely sensitive in aggression radius. They all seemed to drop down really early en masse.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

DrTempest posted:

We are alive! Kinda. I've been talking with NGDBSS, who was kind enough to offer making our save file, roughly, from scratch.

Yeah, NG is good people. :shobon: Good to have you guys back too!

Just wanted to give you kudos for handling that first Bellbro. Pretty embarrassing to go full tryhard with the rapier spam and jump-attack tracking and get beaten by a newbie with a whip! For the gargoyles, they're one of the few bosses where the Bluestone Ring can actually help, since they do [comparatively :v: ] low damage per hit and you can pile on the Thrust defense to actually make a difference.

NGDBSS posted:

Elemental buffs work differently in DS2. Basically, any elemental buff applies a flat AR increase of the appropriate damage type (generally I've heard 50?), then applies a multiplier to all elemental damage (somewhere between x1.15 and x1.3) of that type.

Close, it's a multiplier (of indeed 30% or so) of the element you're buffing with (Aromatic Ooze = magic damage, say) to the base AR of the weapon. That's how the theory you mentioned got started (and stuck for over a year), but it's easy to test: casting Dark Weapon and Sunlight Blade on the Heide Lance will gave about the same damage bonus, and it'll be a lot more than, say, on a Fire-infused dagger. Short version: weapon buffs are really good and I've never not gotten my Int to at least 10 to be able to cast Magic Weapon.

Speaking of Int, I haven't seen the last 2 videos yet so I'm not sure if you found this out or not; but Straid is like Carhillion in that he's a jerk if you don't meet his stat requirements. The funny thing is, the Int check is so low that only the Bandit fails it! I've never actually seen that dialogue. :mmmhmm:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

It's really hard trying not to talk about every single little thing, because not only does this have a talking-into-the-past effect in a normal LP, it's doubled up here because of the old file / remade file situation. Suffice to say, I am looking forward to the new file videos.

Good job handling the dead end pit of dogs and sinners, though.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wayne posted:

Speaking of Int, I haven't seen the last 2 videos yet so I'm not sure if you found this out or not; but Straid is like Carhillion in that he's a jerk if you don't meet his stat requirements. The funny thing is, the Int check is so low that only the Bandit fails it! I've never actually seen that dialogue. :mmmhmm:
Straid's not being an rear end in a top hat for nothing, though. It would be cool to see him as a badass summon for the Lost Sinner or Freya, since that staff he's carrying - the Staff of Wisdom - is the most powerful one for sorceries in the game. (I forget if the LP picked it up off the Brightstone Cove Tseldora mimic, but I sure did because I'm a completionist twit.) Plus he's been petrified for a while (which he'll tell you even if he perceives you to be an idiot), so you know immediately that he's seen and done some poo poo.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 49: Back in the Saddle and Episode 50: It's Time to D-D-D-D-D-Dead. now up!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
grumble

e; gently caress earthen peak

Addamere fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 30, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah Manikins are dicks. Thankfully Earthen Peak isn't too big of an area if you just want to clear it fast.

I seriously hope you're reading the messages there though.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I got the Black Knight Ultra Greatsword from Brightstone Cove Tseldora, since I thought you'd probably opened the side door with the Brightstone Key. The souls were basically a result of not using relevant items after a point, while you can probably guess why I had so many Wood Arrows. (At this point I was capable of one-shotting the poison moths even with an unupgraded Short Bow.) Though I'm guessing you didn't notice or at least didn't point out the real surprise? Check the straight swords for anything different.

That heavy attack on the Grand Lance is one of several that I refer to as a "smash attack". The concept is that some attacks will knock enemies down, either by flattening them or (in the case of the Grand Lance) launching them, so long as you break their poise in the same strike. They'll be temporarily invincible while getting back up, but the moment they have control is also the moment they become vulnerable again, and in any case you'll be maintaining significant control over them in the overall combat. Generally they're present on heavy weapon 2HR2s like with ultra greatswords or great hammers, but lances are among the lightest weapons that will still give you a reliable smash attack with only 35 poise damage at base. (This is the sort of reason why I like the the Stone Ring.)

As for Earthen Peak...yeah, you may be in for a shock if you don't figure out the gimmick. Generally it's not the game that teaches you about it so much as other players. And then of course there are the Manikins. I've gotten used to them by now but they're certainly unpredictable to the unfamiliar.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

The Red Eye Ring is very good in co-op, allowing someone tanked up to go "No, you will pay attention to ME" to basically everything, even bosses.
I maintain that it also has a secondary fashion purpose which you should investigate while wearing the Helm of Vengarl.

Fight poison with lifegems!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
It was a real treat to see you guys start back up, rampage through the wardens and red phantom with the Lance, then gravity remembered its undying enmity towards you two and the normal order was reestablished

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 51: Mild-Mannered Pate by Day... and Episode 52: The Hard Way now up!

Watch us butcher ourselves through Earthen Peak some more! We're great at this game.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Ouch, that sequence of runs with Mytha made me wince. Though at least you dealt a lot of damage on the one buffed run. (I really need to try out lances at some point to make them work, because in your hands they seem to be engines of destruction when aimed properly.) There's a way to make that fight easier elsewhere in the tower, though it's obtuse enough that as with Adaptability I will generally reveal the spoiler in person regardless of how much they might otherwise care about playing blindly. At the least, keep in mind that poison is actively being pumped into the tower in both Mytha's boss chamber and the Pharros Lockstone face. How do you think it got there?

If you like I could outright tell you. Should I, or is that hint enough?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Wow they made Earthen Peak a lot meaner in Scholar. I remember it being somewhat annoying but not to this degree, they added a whole lot of extra enemies dropping in as ambushes.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Ouch, that sequence of runs with Mytha made me wince. Though at least you dealt a lot of damage on the one buffed run. (I really need to try out lances at some point to make them work, because in your hands they seem to be engines of destruction when aimed properly.) There's a way to make that fight easier elsewhere in the tower, though it's obtuse enough that as with Adaptability I will generally reveal the spoiler in person regardless of how much they might otherwise care about playing blindly. At the least, keep in mind that poison is actively being pumped into the tower in both Mytha's boss chamber and the Pharros Lockstone face. How do you think it got there?

If you like I could outright tell you. Should I, or is that hint enough?

We found it, actually! The next episode is called "The Easy Way" for this reason.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Earthen Peak's one of those places I never managed to get a good mental map of, and I'm pretty sure there's like at least double the amount of secrets you've found there so far, but damned if I could tell you where they are.
Also this is probably moot now, but the poison coating drains at a constant rate, so rolling through it just fully covers you and makes it last longer.

Petrified Somethings do something: they are the smoothest and silkiest!

DrTempest posted:

We found it, actually! The next episode is called "The Easy Way" for this reason.
I await the "aha!" moment.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Great, I finally made it through all of the Dark Souls 1 LP and now this one. I'm glad you guys have started using lifegems more, if only because you were given a bunch of them. Simple way to keep up a stock of them is to always spend your excess souls after levelling up and upgrading equipment on lifegems; Melentia sells an infinite number of them, and even just the regular ones are so busted-good that I made them my primary healing method. I only ever used estus when I got summoned, since healing was so slow otherwise (and for another reason I won't spoil if you guys ever use your own white sign soapstones).

If you're having trouble staggering enemies, why not try making the stone ring a more permanent fixture of your loadout? Strength weapons have the advantage of doing lots of physical and poise damage in one big, slow swing, and dexterity weapons have the advantage of doing more hits with less commitment per swing. Since you do more hits, the stone ring lets you stack up poise damage really quickly, and I basically never take it off once I get it; it means I can confidently chain attacks together, which I'm not seeing a lot of in this run, and then roll away when I get low on stamina and see the enemy get staggered.

I'm also gonna mention two things about mechanics that you guys have either glossed over or would have no way of knowing otherwise, and are very helpful quality-of-life tips.

1) Two-handing a weapon works differently in this one compared to DaS1: instead of giving you 150% your strength stat, it simply doubles it. Which means you were able to two-hand the Demon's Great Hammer quite awhile ago, as soon as you had 25 strength (though I'm more a fan of slashy builds than smashy builds anyway). However the doubling is only for the purposes of being able to wield bigger weapons; two-handing does not increase the scaling bonus to reflect twice as much strength.

2) Whenever you use an item, the animation will play faster if you stand still beforehand. Even though your character slows down and/or stops in place to use them already, letting go of the left stick is faster. It's especially useful and critical when it comes to lifegems and estus. It's a very small difference, but every extra frame can make a big difference.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
those are both huge reveals, thanks friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 53: The Stupid Way and Episode 54: The Smart Way now up!

I swear, this had us tripped up longer than it should have. Ah, well. Enjoy!

• Locked thread