Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

drrockso20 posted:

After a couple hours to think it over, it's not really that bad actually, but it's definitely still got enough issues that they honestly should delay the game at this point to fix things up

I am really hoping that the pre-alpha text is super serious. For a game called titanfall the time it takes to get a titan feels extremely slow. I don't think I saw any AI bots in amped hardpoint and thus it took excruciatingly long to even get one. I just played a match where there were maybe 2 titans ever on the map out of all 12 players? Makes me wonder if they've even attempted game balance yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I like the new Amped mechanic for Hardpoint, it helps to soften that problem that COD has had in Domination for years of "capture 2 points then camp their spawn flag". Basically you can capture the point and then stick around longer to "amp" it and make it count for 2 points instead of 1. I'm fairly sure that you need to have somebody constantly in capture range to maintain the amp because the bonus doesn't stick around for to long. But it means that as long as you have 1 of the points and at least 1 person stick around for defense then you can keep the score even until your team can eventually break their way out of their spawn with Titans or something.

Of course during that time the enemies can just amp their own 2 points, but having just one person around makes it take a loooooong rear end time to amp it so i doubt many people will worry about it.

All of that is of course assuming all the maps aren't these wide open cluster fucks and are more like Homestead which isn't to bad but is a pretty bad Hardpoint map.

Also for a game called Titanfall it sure is hard to actually earn your Titan. What was wrong with the timer exactly?

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
I hope they add the grunts to all the modes (except the boring rear end pilot only mode I guess :geno:) because yeah without the timers it takes way longer to get a Titan.

SUNKOS posted:

Any ideas why they took nuclear ejections out?

It's probably still in, the tech test doesn't have all the Titans and perks etc. I could have sworn I saw nuclear eject when I played the earlier build at E3

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a key to making Titans really shine? I think the novelty is great but aside from a baller rear end health bar they feel like a crutch more than anything. My score comes to a screeching halt every time I get into one. It seems much easier to get kills and complete objectives on foot.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Is there a key to making Titans really shine? I think the novelty is great but aside from a baller rear end health bar they feel like a crutch more than anything. My score comes to a screeching halt every time I get into one. It seems much easier to get kills and complete objectives on foot.

It depends on the Titan but if you've never played before it takes some getting used to. I think the key is making sure to use everything at your disposal. A lot of people on streams forget they have an ordinance to fire or mines to lay down. Keep an eye out for pilots because if they are out in the open its pretty easy to kill them and if they try to get close a well aimed punch gibs them.

I suggest using the Scorch Titan since you could probably just spam his grenade launcher and fire stream and do pretty alright.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I like the new Amped mechanic for Hardpoint, it helps to soften that problem that COD has had in Domination for years of "capture 2 points then camp their spawn flag". Basically you can capture the point and then stick around longer to "amp" it and make it count for 2 points instead of 1. I'm fairly sure that you need to have somebody constantly in capture range to maintain the amp because the bonus doesn't stick around for to long. But it means that as long as you have 1 of the points and at least 1 person stick around for defense then you can keep the score even until your team can eventually break their way out of their spawn with Titans or something.

The only problem with this is that Titanfall should be encouraging players to do the exact opposite of standing still in one spot.

NESguerilla posted:

Titans have been massively nerfed in this game, nobody really knows why seeing as the game is named after them but you're not alone in wondering what the point of them even is. They've gone from being highly customizable and fast-moving machines of death to slow and lumbering crutches with little survivability. The first game had a perfect balance between titans and pilots but this game has shifted the balance towards the pilots, even with movement being screwed up and map design being atrocious and counter-intuitive to the wall running mechanics.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Titans have been massively nerfed in this game, nobody really knows why seeing as the game is named after them but you're not alone in wondering what the point of them even is. They've gone from being highly customizable and fast-moving machines of death to slow and lumbering crutches with little survivability. The first game had a perfect balance between titans and pilots but this game has shifted the balance towards the pilots, even with movement being screwed up and map design being atrocious and counter-intuitive to the wall running mechanics.

Yeah that part is weird to me. It used to be crushing and punching a pilot was really easy in a titan. Yesterday I couldn't even crush a spectre by walking over it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Man, why are they blowing it, CoD sucks :(

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
You guys are scaring me because games never make changes from beta except tweaking some numbers for balance :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SUNKOS posted:

The only problem with this is that Titanfall should be encouraging players to do the exact opposite of standing still in one spot.

Yikes.

Pass.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Carecat posted:

You guys are scaring me because games never make changes from beta except tweaking some numbers for balance :(

Except it's an alpha and Respawn was pretty good about tweaks in the original. I have faith in them fixing the issues.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The network code is alpha. The game is probably nearly completely finished by now

Game should default to being in a titan. Should only be a pilot when you lose your titan and then you gotta steal one or go back to spawn or something. Maybe put a salvage class titan in there or something idk.

Terrain should be deformable by titans crashing through buildings too

Why make a robot game that uses robots like a powerup instead of the main thing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't have the first one as a frame of reference, but at least I'd say most of the problems are tweaks that should be made and not core flaws, other than the two maps we got not having enough opportunities for wall running (which was disappointing). I still had a lot of fun with it. The shooting is great. I'm still feeling very inclined to pick it up come October.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I remain cautiously optimistic. A dev is on twitter saying this build branched in June so it's very plausible lots of other changes are happening on their dev tree.

https://twitter.com/jonshiring/status/766786972522209280

Worst case I'll cancel my preorder and wait for real reviews, which is probably the right thing to do with every game anyway.

Edit: https://twitter.com/jonshiring/status/766744067577307136

MrBond fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 20, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This game kicks rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My only wish is that everyone had access to the grapple, there's no reason not to use it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Weird, I watched the GB quicklook and Jeff seemed to be getting his Titan pretty frequently, despite being mostly terrible. I really do hope they have a PC beta before launch so I can see for myself.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Boomtown has plenty of opportunity for wall runs, Homestead less so apart from the little complex of shacks. I'm not super concerned about it, it's just two maps. I'd agree that titans feel a little weak and that Bounty is fine but I'd prefer Attrition. Grappling Hook should be a default, and I'm real sad rodeo-ing an enemy titan no longer entails shooting it in its roboguts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

battery stealing is fun. it would be cool if they could take it further and do like a ctf where you score based on how long your team's titan has the battery pack

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

The network code is alpha. The game is probably nearly completely finished by now

Game should default to being in a titan. Should only be a pilot when you lose your titan and then you gotta steal one or go back to spawn or something. Maybe put a salvage class titan in there or something idk.

Why make a robot game that uses robots like a powerup instead of the main thing

There could certainly be room out there for a game like what you're describing, but that's not what Titanfall is, or at least not the precedent set by the first one. I wouldn't even describe titans as "powerups," they're more like an extension of your loadout. There are obviously ways in which they're stronger than pilots, but they're also more vulnerable in some ways. Basically the two modes are supposed to complement each other on relatively equal footing, and I felt like they did a surprisingly good job of managing that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mordja posted:

Weird, I watched the GB quicklook and Jeff seemed to be getting his Titan pretty frequently, despite being mostly terrible. I really do hope they have a PC beta before launch so I can see for myself.

Was he playing Bounty? You can get it pretty frequently just by shooting grunts. It felt much harder in capture the flag.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
From someone who never played the original, I had a great time playing this last night. The movement is a ton of fun, and fighting titans as a pilot is probably my favorite thing to do.

Bounty was my favorite gametype, all the bots, titans, and chaos was a ton of fun.

Also, there is nothing quite as butt-clenching as fighting the other team over trying to bank your cash.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
I have a lot of gripes about the changes, and I'm really hoping Attrition is in the final game, but I am still having a lot of fun with it. Ion's shoulder laser is pretty ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3hTP2z53s

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Real hurthling! posted:

This is a bad idea, because if buildings are destroyable it leaves pilots nothing to hide behind or wallrun on and seriously skews the game in favor of Titans.

EDIT: Seconding what an above poster said, this specifically ISN'T a robot game, it's an evenly-split arena FPS and robot game. Like, that's its entire reason for existence. It's not Call of Duty or Mechwarrior, it's Titanfall.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 20, 2016

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Mordja posted:

I wouldn't worry about the lack of a beta on PC because Origin has a good refund policy so you can just buy the game, try it for a couple of hours and get a full refund when you've seen how bad it is.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Seconding what an above poster said, this specifically ISN'T a robot game, it's an evenly-split arena FPS and robot game. Like, that's its entire reason for existence. It's not Call of Duty or Mechwarrior, it's Titanfall.

Yup. The whole game is about the David vs. Goliath dynamic of pilots and titans and they absolutely nailed it in the first game. Probably the most impressive example of game design I've ever seen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't believe how loving bad people are at bounty. Last night our goon group dominated literally every round we played and now I'm playing alone and pubs don't even deposit money. I just played a round that was almost over when I joined and instantly went to first place after putting one deposit in, 30 seconds after spawning.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

NESguerilla posted:

I don't have the first one as a frame of reference, but at least I'd say most of the problems are tweaks that should be made and not core flaws, other than the two maps we got not having enough opportunities for wall running (which was disappointing). I still had a lot of fun with it. The shooting is great. I'm still feeling very inclined to pick it up come October.

The shooting is the opposite of great, the TTK is way too drat low, it encourages a lot of the behaviors that have made the COD games completely unfun since Black Ops 1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The last two CODs were a lot of fun and this feels like that with a grappling hook and robots. Although the new COD also has a grappling hook.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

My only wish is that everyone had access to the grapple, there's no reason not to use it.

Yeah the grapple is really good but if the stim is as good as it was in the first game you could make a case for that as well.

Wazzit posted:

Ion's shoulder laser is pretty ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3hTP2z53s

Man when I played I thought Scorch was the way to go but you are making a strong case for Ion

Antoine Silvere fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 20, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

In Training posted:

The last two CODs were a lot of fun and this feels like that with a grappling hook and robots. Although the new COD also has a grappling hook.

I heavily disagree, Black Ops 3 came with my PS4 and it was more of the same bullcrap that's kept me away from the franchise since the first Black Ops

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Antoine Silvere posted:

Yeah the grapple is really good but if the stim is as good as it was in the first game you could make a case for that as well.

the healing aspect is wasted though because if you get shot you're probably dead

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Real hurthling! posted:

the healing aspect is wasted though because if you get shot you're probably dead

Not on consoles lol

So I still hate console controls but I've taken more time to think about things after putting in a few more hours today.

New titans are worse than old titans but its a good thing. Old TF1 was completely dominated by titans. Yeah the game was fairly well balanced but almost nothing beat a skilled stryder with the 40mm cannon. Because when you are so damaging and have so much health adding a poo poo load of mobility to the mix made you a nigh unkillable god. I know that I rolled that build and completely dominated the game last titan fall and many others did as well.

The new titans feel better. As a pilot you are a speedy mother fucker who can be turned into pink mist at the drop of a hat. As a titan you can dish out insane amounts of damage but you are also a lumbering dickhead. In a pinch you can dash if you need it but dashing isn't a spammable ability anymore meaning you have to use it defensively, or tactically and not just whenever.

The addition of shield cells is super rad. Its a really fun little element. If you pick up a shield cell and enter your titan you gain a pretty significant over shield. Or you can jump on a friends titan and give it to him. Either way its a really cool mechanic. I've kept a single auto titan alive an entire game using shield cell. Its a really welcome and engaging change.

Overall I think people need to get used to the new titans and not just cry foul, they are objectively worse than older titans. They probably should be earned faster than they are. But once you learn your titan abilities and start actualling using cover and your dash intelligently its pretty easy to really lay out some damage. Scorch is a mother fucker and I go nuts with him.

Now granted I only play bounty hunt, I don't really care to play a hardpoint mode on console. Are there absolutley no AI in hardpoint? If so that is terrible.

I also still dont' understand amped weapons. Also its weird that grenades are an ability and they "recharge"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Knifegrab posted:

I also still dont' understand amped weapons. Also its weird that grenades are an ability and they "recharge"

For whatever reason, that's something I'm seeing more and more in shooters.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

SUNKOS posted:

Yup. The whole game is about the David vs. Goliath dynamic of pilots and titans and they absolutely nailed it in the first game. Probably the most impressive example of game design I've ever seen.

I was disappointed when it seemed nearly every streamer opted for the pilotless Titan after a month or two of TF1. They got much better at pilot mobility though but Titans felt like temporary auto turrets.

Amazing that they would lower TTK since it seems like the easiest way to validate Titans would be to armor up humans. Otherwise it makes sense they would rather fight side by side.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Ttk is no lower than tf1

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I see no problem with the TTK. It's exactly like COD for better or worse. Some people might not like that doesn't make it bad.

Were the shield cells not in the first game? Definitely one of the coolest elements. I love stealing them and giving them to buddies and piggybacking around on Titans.

I really love bounty the more I play it. It's got a little bit of everything. It's also tense as gently caress when you have like 500 dollars on your person and you are just holding your breath trying to sneak across the map without getting killed before the bank disappears.

My biggest complaint about bounty is that depositing money doesn't count towards getting your Titan though. It rewards not playing the objective too much.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Mordja posted:

For whatever reason, that's something I'm seeing more and more in shooters.

All games are now about heroes, abilities and ultimates. Welcome to 2016.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

RadicalWall posted:

All games are now about heroes, abilities and ultimates. Welcome to 2016.

Don't forget microtransaction RNG gambling crates.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hope this game doesn't have those but it's EA so it's almost a sure thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Were the shield cells not in the first game? Definitely one of the coolest elements. I love stealing them and giving them to buddies and piggybacking around on Titans.

Shield cells are new to this game; in TF1 Titans just had rechargeable shields. I like this change a lot because it encourages teamwork instead of ditching your teammates to let your Titans shield recharge.

Edit:

NESguerilla posted:

I really hope this game doesn't have those but it's EA so it's almost a sure thing.

They said all the maps will be free but they'll probably sell cosmetics. Hopefully they sell them directly instead of doing the dumb loot crate thing.