Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Trustworthy posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck instantaneous ship transfer for like a dozen different reasons. I want QoL improvements, not lowest common denominator pubbie pandering.

Welcome to a game universe of everyone taking a FSD-pimped Asp-E or Anaconda EVERYWHERE, then just swapping to a specialty ship to perform specific tasks. gently caress realism, or planning ahead, or having to actually balance your fleet; just slap a Class D FSD in everything but your interstellar roadtrip bus and awaaaaaay we go :argh:

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

With engineering I would say the game is about 2 inches deep now. Maybe another half an inch coming with the stuff they are showing off right now.

If this alien menace they have been teasing nearly since the launch of the game finally kicks off that will be a real nice thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TomR posted:

What an awful opinion to have about a video game.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Trustworthy posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck instantaneous ship transfer for like a dozen different reasons. I want QoL improvements, not lowest common denominator pubbie pandering.

Welcome to a game universe of everyone taking a FSD-pimped Asp-E or Anaconda EVERYWHERE, then just swapping to a specialty ship to perform specific tasks. gently caress realism, or planning ahead, or having to actually balance your fleet; just slap a Class D FSD in everything but your interstellar roadtrip bus and awaaaaaay we go :argh:

Nice meltdown

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Space Skeleton posted:

If this alien menace they have been teasing nearly since the launch of the game finally kicks off that will be a real nice thing.

I'd like to see an alien bubble filled with alien convoys full of... alien... things... that I can sell for profit.

It's be the natural progression from destroying alien barnacles. We started this war, and by God we're going to escalate it further.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I must say that, having been away for a few months, the game finally feels good enough (frankly it should have shipped already in this state but eh). Materials to collect, upgrades that add variety without too much grind, better Ai providing proper challenge, upcoming ship transfer.. Things look bright finally, after Horizons I thought I wouln't get another season but I am changing my mind.

Now, more SRV types, atmospheric flight, aliens, more engineer recipes, some bigger payouts so non-poopsockers can reasonably afford the bigger ships and I will be very very happy.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Trustworthy posted:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'd love a text based Elite app for my phone that played like that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Also, I have enough ships in this station to pretty much fill every landing pad. As we all know, if a pad is occupied, no other ship can use it. So either I'm blockading the the whole station and I'm kind of wondering how much they're going to fine me for that kind of economic warfare, or there's some kind of storage where they put ships, in which case I wonder why I'm not being charged rent for taking up all that volume. But then, given the speed at which ships appear when I ask for them, I guess they can't be that far off from the pad… and I also wonder where they store that (practically) infinite number of ships on the market, all of which are also able to appear on a pad in a matter of seconds.

Maybe there's some kind of negative subspace wedgie where science no longer applies that makes all that happen… I wonder if it could be made to work at a distance too.

Or maybe gameplay trumps realism every time and twice over on Sundays.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'd love to see FDev respond to the complaints with “you're absolutely right, so now we're introducing parking fees for all ships.” :devil:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I think I might've posted this once already a while back, but I haven't played this game since around Feburary. Now that No Man's Sky is out and generating buzz it got me thinking about this again. Apparently now if you land on planets and mine space rocks you can engineer upgrades that make your ship jump 1% farther? Is that how that works?

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
Games shouldnt be about fun and engaging gameplay.

They should be about arbitrary metrics of "realism" measured solely by units of tedium.

:goonsay:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Now if you go back and photoshop in the missing "n", I will be impressed.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

At long last, I've earned my stripes as a Gamer :q:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
http://m.imgur.com/a/jXhNS

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Fishreds99 posted:

Games shouldnt be about fun and engaging gameplay.

They should be about arbitrary metrics of "realism" measured solely by units of tedium.

:goonsay:

Cowcaster posted:

I think I might've posted this once already a while back, but I haven't played this game since around Feburary. Now that No Man's Sky is out and generating buzz it got me thinking about this again. Apparently now if you land on planets and mine space rocks you can engineer upgrades that make your ship jump 1% farther? Is that how that works?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SC is a disease of the brain. There is no other explanation. :cripes:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Tippis posted:

SC is a disease of the brain. There is no other explanation. :cripes:

I'm certain the Venn diagram of "Star Citizens" and "Brown Sea '84ers" has significant crossover.

Hopefully FDev is smart enough to ignore those people, because they are terrible human beings who want a game where "fun" means "causing other people real misery." But not like EVE, because then it's just griefing and unfun and wrong (when goons do it)! :bahgawd:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Welcome to a game universe of everyone taking a FSD-pimped Asp-E or Anaconda EVERYWHERE, then just swapping to a specialty ship to perform specific tasks. gently caress realism, or planning ahead, or having to actually balance your fleet; just slap a Class D FSD in everything but your interstellar roadtrip bus and awaaaaaay we go

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm certain the Venn diagram of "Star Citizens" and "Brown Sea '84ers" has significant crossover.
Wing Commander nostalgia is a 90s kid thing, the actual genuine 84ers are mostly way too old tbh.

Hopefully FDev is smart enough to ignore those people, because they are terrible human beings who want a game where "fun" means "causing other people real misery." But not like EVE, because then it's just griefing and unfun and wrong (when goons do it)! :bahgawd:
Remember when Sandro said SRVs wouldn't have fuel because that just wouldn't be fun?

Yeah.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Welcome to a game universe of everyone taking a FSD-pimped Asp-E or Anaconda EVERYWHERE, then just swapping to a specialty ship to perform specific tasks. gently caress realism, or planning ahead, or having to actually balance your fleet; just slap a Class D FSD in everything but your interstellar roadtrip bus and awaaaaaay we go

Nice meltdown

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Trustworthy posted:

Nice meltdown

yeah it was p. good.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tippis posted:

Yeah, I mean, sure, I could have lived with having to buy some kind of carrier and cart the ships between stations, but I'm sure as hell not going to complain if you can skip more E:D-style tedium. Does anyone actually like the old Sidewinder shuffle?

There are people who think that ship transportation should require another player actually flying your ship from where it's stored to where you are, in real-time. A sizeable group of brown sea-ers want this game to be Microsoft Flight Simulator, But In Space - they get their jollies just flying around imagining they're a space pilot, and gameplay is entirely optional to them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

A sizeable group of brown sea-ers want this game to be Microsoft Flight Simulator, But In Space - they get their jollies just flying around imagining they're a space pilot, and gameplay is entirely optional to them.

They should try No Man's Sky they'll love it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

Nice meltdown

i agree that's why i reposted it

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

There are people who think that ship transportation should require another player actually flying your ship from where it's stored to where you are, in real-time. A sizeable group of brown sea-ers want this game to be Microsoft Flight Simulator, But In Space - they get their jollies just flying around imagining they're a space pilot, and gameplay is entirely optional to them.

Wasn't there a shuttle simulator of some kind of that was either a massive mod of, or at least took lots of cues from MSFS? I seem to vaguely remember something like that from ages ago. Or am I just thinking of Orbiter?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

The gently caress does this even mean? Is he actually talking about ED? Or is the problem because he's trying to play it on a pong paddle or something.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Crimson Harvest posted:

The gently caress does this even mean? Is he actually talking about ED? Or is the problem because he's trying to play it on a pong paddle or something.

That would be pretty interesting. Also, you can never have too many analogue axes in this game. :D

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

i agree that's why i reposted it

it's boring to admit to it: you have to let people think you're authentic :nallears:

Tippis posted:

Wasn't there a shuttle simulator of some kind of that was either a massive mod of, or at least took lots of cues from MSFS? I seem to vaguely remember something like that from ages ago. Or am I just thinking of Orbiter?

I believe you are thinking of Microsoft Space Simulator.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

it's boring to admit to it: you have to let people think you're authentic :nallears:

I believe you are thinking of Microsoft Space Simulator.

Nice meltdown :grin:

Also MS Space Sim was the poo poo.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ah yes, that was it. Someone really should get on making a modern version of that.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

So the last time I did the federal rep grind was on the old mission boards doing donation missions in tun. I wanted to grab the last few ranks for the corvette so I hit up tun since I have good standing and filled up on data courier missions and got about 10% rep for an hour's work.

Is there a faster way to do it or is that about the pace I can expect now?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Trustworthy posted:

Did you know that desire to inflict pointless suffering can be a sign of psychopathy? Perhaps you should seek therapy.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

That ship transfer thing might make poo poo like mining almost sorta not a soul-scarring experience.

Hopped in-game today for the first time in a while. Managed to figure out surface prospecting and the like after copious googling. The blaster guy upgraded my huge multi-cannon a bit. Now he wants me to get Praesodymium (or whatever the gently caress it is) and after looking it up... it looks like it's a mining-only thing (like Painite)? Yeah. I'd rather get bone cancer. Goodbye, Mr. Engineer guy, it was nice knowing you.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
What is advanced ship maintenance? Everyone is missing the important details.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gonkish posted:

That ship transfer thing might make poo poo like mining almost sorta not a soul-scarring experience.

Hopped in-game today for the first time in a while. Managed to figure out surface prospecting and the like after copious googling. The blaster guy upgraded my huge multi-cannon a bit. Now he wants me to get Praesodymium (or whatever the gently caress it is) and after looking it up... it looks like it's a mining-only thing (like Painite)? Yeah. I'd rather get bone cancer. Goodbye, Mr. Engineer guy, it was nice knowing you.

Upgrade around it. He will have recipes that don't need praseodymium, do those and then don't keep the results, the next rank up probably won't need it.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I've heard that making credits isn't quite such an incredible grind anymore? What is the best way to make some money in Elite these days?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Gonkish posted:

Nice meltdown.

Mining is Zen.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 21, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I haven't been paying much attention to the streams and stuff, have they given a rough estimate of when we can expect 2.2 to show up?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Insert name here posted:

I haven't been paying much attention to the streams and stuff, have they given a rough estimate of when we can expect 2.2 to show up?

"Mid-October" :airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DreadLlama posted:

Did you know that desire to inflict pointless suffering can be a sign of psychopathy? Perhaps you should seek therapy.

No time for therapy, all my free time for the foreseeable future has been booked up grinding for a loving Cutter.

(But that's an acceptable mechanic in everybody else's book and I'm the brownsea nutjob just for wanting ship transfer to take a bit of time so it doesn't render the entire game universe's established system of interstellar travel completely nonsensical.)

• Locked thread