Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Spider-Woman tie-in was pretty good this week too. Ben Urich directly asks the question, "Okay, let's assume that Ulysses is only right 95% of the time. So what? Does that mean we shouldn't use him?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Depends on if you agree with Blackstone, I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The Spider-Woman tie-in was pretty good this week too. Ben Urich directly asks the question, "Okay, let's assume that Ulysses is only right 95% of the time. So what? Does that mean we shouldn't use him?"

Huh, I'll have to pick that one up if they actually do that argument because "What if he's right 95% of the time, is that good enough?" is basically the most interesting way you can take the Ulysses problem. (Do they actually answer it?)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Uh, kind of. But maybe not in a satisfactory way. At first it seems like one of Ulysses' visions was wrong, which leads Ben to pose his question. Jessica replies that a 95% success rate is all well and good as long as you're not the innocent guy on the receiving end of the 5% fail rate. The vision does end up coming true though, which brings them back to the assumption that 100% of Ulysses' visions are true in some way.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I know it's just for drama, but I was disappointed that Jess flies off the handle at the end when Carol herself sent Jess to check out the predictions, so it's pretty unlikely that she would murder Bruce Banner before she's got the evidence Ulysses is totally right (in this series at least. *Cough* http://io9.gizmodo.com/civil-war-ii-is-ruining-captain-marvel-1785466259), unless she had a drat good reason. That's not even counting the fact that Carol doesn't do it or sanction it so it's pretty crappy for a best friend to assume the worst. To be fair to Hopeless, he does clearly show that Jess is concerned that Carol will be a dog with a bone on this, but she still doesn't give her a chance to explain herself.

The indestructible old-school Nokia phone (that works in space) is still great though, and maybe next issue will be Carol and Jess having a nice and calm chat while the baby sleeps.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 19, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

So far we have seen Ulysses major predictions correct, it's the smaller stuff he's screwing up on, so Carol and her team are kind of ignoring it.

Plus people are being taken in for accidents, not straight up crimes. I was legit thinking that in AN Wolverine, Gabby was going to talk Logan down and they go "maybe Ulysses isn't perfectly predicting things" and there would be some self doubt, but NOPE.

The whole issue was bad. Most tie-ins play the same way: Everyone that has the intel from Ulysses is purposely vague about it and ends up causing the prediction in the first place. Like ok Cap and SHIELD show up based on the intel and what does Cap say? "You're going to kill people" with no more details. So Logan attempts to run away because being detained for poo poo he hasn't done is stupid and flies away on a jet pack. At which point Cap tells Laura "oh yeah by the way Logan and Gabby fly away with a jetpack and then he kills her". A situation that never would have happened if they didn't need to run away from SHIELD.

Motherfucker maybe open with the full details of the vision to all parties involved so that they can avoid it.

Amazing Spider-Man did the same thing but at least there Peter is fully aware that he made the prediction true by being aware of the prediction in the first place and is trying to stop it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

If there's even a 1% chance that he's our enemy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh, and chalk Scarlet Witch #9 up as another CW-II tie-in that I didn't like at all, but not exactly for the reasons you might expect. My annoyance had nothing to do with the specifics of CW-II that it tied into, but simply because I'm starting to realize that I really dislike this Wanda that Robinson has been constructing. I'm starting to realize that the Wanda that Robinson has been slowly building throughout this series is...kind of just a big rear end in a top hat. The idea seems to be that she's breaking out of her mousy insecure shell after all this time being the resident Avengers doormat, but Robinson seems to think that the best way to portray that is to just make her really uppity and self-righteous and condescending all the time towards everybody within earshot and this is supposed to make her seem newly empowered or something. Well, no, it turns out that being an rear end in a top hat just makes her an rear end in a top hat. It really comes to a head in this issue as she faces off against Pietro and like, okay, Pietro's an rear end in a top hat most of the time too but, drat, I didn't even recognize Wanda here. It's like she's turned into Lorna or something.

Metalshark posted:

I know it's just for drama, but I was disappointed that Jess flies off the handle at the end when Carol herself sent Jess to check out the predictions, so it's pretty unlikely that she would murder Bruce Banner before she's got the evidence Ulysses is totally right (in this series at least. *Cough* http://io9.gizmodo.com/civil-war-ii-is-ruining-captain-marvel-1785466259), unless she had a drat good reason. That's not even counting the fact that Carol doesn't do it or sanction it so it's pretty crappy for a best friend to assume the worst. To be fair to Hopeless, he does clearly show that Jess is concerned that Carol will be a dog with a bone on this, but she still doesn't give her a chance to explain herself.
To me, the issue showed that Jessica is perfectly aware that there are logical, sensible reasons why Carol is doing what she's doing; Jess knows that Ulysses' visions work, she knows why Carol is using those visions like this, she knows all the arguments backing Carol's agenda...heck, the reason she was calling was to concede those points to Carol.

The problem is that it doesn't matter. The logic behind the visions can be as airtight and as sensible as possible, and using the visions in this way is still going to cause problems...as Jessica says, the idea of "preemptive justice" is just inherently a big problematic powder keg no matter how solid your justifications are or how much you double-check the math. So in a way, it doesn't matter how Carol defends herself. It doesn't matter how she explains the situation because all the sensible explanations aren't going to undo the shitshow that went down.

On top of which, it's not just Banner getting killed that would be throwing Jessica's world out of loop, but the fact that Hawkeye -- who she has an intense history with -- is the one who did it.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

BrianWilly posted:

To me, the issue showed that Jessica is perfectly aware that there are logical, sensible reasons why Carol is doing what she's doing; Jess knows that Ulysses' visions work, she knows why Carol is using those visions like this, she knows all the arguments backing Carol's agenda...heck, the reason she was calling was to concede those points to Carol.

The problem is that it doesn't matter. The logic behind the visions can be as airtight and as sensible as possible, and using the visions in this way is still going to cause problems...as Jessica says, the idea of "preemptive justice" is just inherently a big problematic powder keg no matter how solid your justifications are or how much you double-check the math. So in a way, it doesn't matter how Carol defends herself. It doesn't matter how she explains the situation because all the sensible explanations aren't going to undo the shitshow that went down.

On top of which, it's not just Banner getting killed that would be throwing Jessica's world out of loop, but the fact that Hawkeye -- who she has an intense history with -- is the one who did it.

It's interesting you brought up Scarlet Witch #9, as that could be a fantastic way to handle for a Jess/Carol confrontation (with maybe Jess surprising Carol and knocking her on her butt (without going OTT, maybe just a low-level Venom Blast and stomping out with a pithy line at the end) and less anger/simmering resentment), so hopefully that's closer to what we get rather than just punching and yelling. There aren't so many fun female friendships in superhero comics that I want them to have even a rough patch, especially with Shulkie out of action currently.

However, based on how CWII has been going once it got past Tony's flying off the handle to the significant other of the man who died, Carol's gonna get even more stink on her. It's just a such a joyless slog of an event.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Oh, and chalk Scarlet Witch #9 up as another CW-II tie-in that I didn't like at all, but not exactly for the reasons you might expect. My annoyance had nothing to do with the specifics of CW-II that it tied into, but simply because I'm starting to realize that I really dislike this Wanda that Robinson has been constructing. I'm starting to realize that the Wanda that Robinson has been slowly building throughout this series is...kind of just a big rear end in a top hat. The idea seems to be that she's breaking out of her mousy insecure shell after all this time being the resident Avengers doormat, but Robinson seems to think that the best way to portray that is to just make her really uppity and self-righteous and condescending all the time towards everybody within earshot and this is supposed to make her seem newly empowered or something. Well, no, it turns out that being an rear end in a top hat just makes her an rear end in a top hat. It really comes to a head in this issue as she faces off against Pietro and like, okay, Pietro's an rear end in a top hat most of the time too but, drat, I didn't even recognize Wanda here. It's like she's turned into Lorna or something.

And even if Carol didn't make Clint take the shot, she set up the situation whereby he felt he had to, so she bears some responsibility, even if she's not strictly culpable.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Oh, and chalk Scarlet Witch #9 up as another CW-II tie-in that I didn't like at all, but not exactly for the reasons you might expect. My annoyance had nothing to do with the specifics of CW-II that it tied into, but simply because I'm starting to realize that I really dislike this Wanda that Robinson has been constructing. I'm starting to realize that the Wanda that Robinson has been slowly building throughout this series is...kind of just a big rear end in a top hat. The idea seems to be that she's breaking out of her mousy insecure shell after all this time being the resident Avengers doormat, but Robinson seems to think that the best way to portray that is to just make her really uppity and self-righteous and condescending all the time towards everybody within earshot and this is supposed to make her seem newly empowered or something. Well, no, it turns out that being an rear end in a top hat just makes her an rear end in a top hat. It really comes to a head in this issue as she faces off against Pietro and like, okay, Pietro's an rear end in a top hat most of the time too but, drat, I didn't even recognize Wanda here. It's like she's turned into Lorna or something

Yeah I haven't been in the comics game as long as everyone else, but I've always understood Quicksilver to be a guy who's kind of an rear end in a top hat but a well-meaning one and one who has a soft spot for family. SW #9 basically made him into a giant borderline-evil prick for the purpose of giving Wanda her moment to be a strong independent woman who don't need no man and let her kick his rear end. It's just disappointing, and kinda sad since I liked the last issue. But I think I'm done with Scarlett Witch, even if it does have pretty covers.

Metalshark posted:

It's just a such a joyless slog of an event.

mods new thread title tia

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looks like Spidey is back on the Avengers.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-all-new-avengers-1-alex-ross-covers-debuts-mighty-lineup

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm happy about that. :unsmith:

I like Spidey on the Avengers I know some people think it makes him too 'mainstream' but I think it works well for him having an actual place.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think that's a pretty decent line-up for an Avengers team.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

quote:

The time has come! Their ranks shattered by Civil War, their spirits weighted down by a toll both personal and spiritual...

Hooray for USA and Great Lakes. I think after CW I'll be desperately needing some Fun-vengers.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 19, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Meanwhile, during all this CWII nonsense, Doreen's just dealing with a fedoralord.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

And yet, you gloss over the fact that Hercules is also back in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is it really another Avengers #1 already?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SilverSupernova posted:

No one cares about Hercules.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SilverSupernova posted:

We knew that already from the announcements a while back. Spider-Man wasn't part of those announcements. But Iron Man was (Doom, not Stark).

Aphrodite posted:

The team we have now is disbanding when the younger members leave. Again, this was announced a while back.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It's Marvel Shattered NOW! time, baby!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From now on, every issue is #1 of an ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT line

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Waffleman_ posted:

Meanwhile, during all this CWII nonsense, Doreen's just dealing with a fedoralord.

That's because if she got involved, she'd beat both Tony and Carol and then she'd have to figure out how to get everyone out of this mess.

Man, Black Widow is amazing. It's been amazing all through, but it's not incorrect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waffleman_ posted:

That`s what Venom did in the 90s and it worked out great for him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

You laugh because we're All New, All Different. We laugh because you're all the same Avengers #1

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I haven't been in the comics game as long as everyone else, but I've always understood Quicksilver to be a guy who's kind of an rear end in a top hat but a well-meaning one and one who has a soft spot for family. SW #9 basically made him into a giant borderline-evil prick for the purpose of giving Wanda her moment to be a strong independent woman who don't need no man and let her kick his rear end. It's just disappointing, and kinda sad since I liked the last issue. But I think I'm done with Scarlett Witch, even if it does have pretty covers.

Eh... I mean, that is Quicksilver, and yet... he's tough, because Pietro is one of those dudes where if you look at his history from one angle he's a well-meaning rear end in a top hat and if you look at it from another he's a selfish, sociopathic prick. Like, House of M? His idea, apparently. Stealing the Terrigen crystals from Attilan to replace his lost powers and then kinda causing the U.S. Army to attack the Inhumans, that was sort of a dick move. Dude's gone villain a whole bunch of times - one of my earliest comics was an Avengers Annual where he turns out to be leading a new Zodiac for some reason. So he's always been a jerk, but is he a good guy at heart who sometimes acts bad, or a self-centered prick at heart who sometimes acts good? You can make a case either way, really.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And it's very true that Wanda has pretty much been defined by the men in her life, and not really having a defined role outside of Girl Avenger or Visions Wife. Or Crazy lady who blew up She-Hulk and Scott Lang.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Is anyone else still reading Uncanny Avengers? The page where Vision confronts the Pym/Ultron about who he's killed and then the Avengers dealing with the fallout are fantastic. A pretty great ending for a meh arc.

Also, best weird 80s cartoon theme is Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Little Mac posted:

Is anyone else still reading Uncanny Avengers? The page where Vision confronts the Pym/Ultron about who he's killed and then the Avengers dealing with the fallout are fantastic. A pretty great ending for a meh arc.

Yeah all those French cartoons like Ulysses, Spartakus, and Cities of Gold had great music.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

X-O posted:

Yeah all those French cartoons like Ulysses, Spartakus, and Cities of Gold had great music.

Apparently the French intro to Cities of Gold had a different song (beyond being just a translation).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Little Mac posted:

PymTron is the most interesting use of those characters in years but the story has still been pretty dull. I hope that he stays on ice a while and the next guy to use them, writes a good back story of how Pym went off into space to handle Ultron on his own and failed. That's a story I'd like to read. I think part of the failure of this story was the "Is Pym still alive?" Mystery that was pretty flat.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Apparently the French intro to Cities of Gold had a different song (beyond being just a translation).

No, I've seen some of the original French series (it's my personal favorite cartoon ever) and it's the same. The revived second season from France from a couple years ago also has the same theme. Or more accurately an updated version of it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

X-O posted:

No, I've seen some of the original French series (it's my personal favorite cartoon ever) and it's the same. The revived second season from France from a couple years ago also has the same theme. Or more accurately an updated version of it.

My former French housemates lied to me then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well I know what did have a different intro in French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qocr87WKsv0

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

I like the Chris Colorado one.

One of those shows I remember they had on Toonami when it was a separate channel and was called CNX. :D

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

X-O posted:

I went and checked and yeah, it's different lyrics. Same tune though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_zn3uRwPU

In kindergarten we all pretended the wooden playground equipment was the Condor.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dario the Wop posted:

Well, I enjoyed The Fallen and The Accused one-shots. Anyone read those?

I did, and they were both loving incredible. Pak was born to write about The Hulk, and The Accused is a fantastic one-shot dealing with the themes of CWII.

The real standout this week, besides Gwenpool, was surprisingly Captain America: Sam Wilson. I mean, there were a whole bunch of great comics this week (and all the CWII tie-ins/one-shots were fantastic) but the real star was the work Spencer's doing on Captain America: Sam Wilson. It feels relevant, it feels prescient, it feels nuanced, and it feels complete in a way that Nick Spencer often isn't when he tries to tie political themes into his work.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 20, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have a Venom question:

why does the symbiote want to eat brains? As a kid my only window into Marvel stuff was the 90s Spiderman cartoon, and obviously that series never mentions Venom wanting to eat brains. It was an awkward moment for me to read an issue of Venom around the same time, where the suit was loose and rampaging around New York or something. Can someone care to explain? Seems like such a weird detail to add to the alien.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Symbiotes feed on phenethylamine.

(Yeah I looked that up.)

Some of them aren't satisfied enough with gathering from their host, so they eat brains.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So symbiots are the monsters from From Beyond?

• Locked thread