Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

feedmegin posted:

What kind of company advertises for a job without even the slightest indication of how much they're willing to pay, though? (And if they are doing the 'competitive pay' thing and not saying, that's not going to help getting qualified candidates, just saying)

Most of them, in my experience? I don't job hunt often, but I do get quite a bit of recruiter spam, and the majority of it does not mention specific numbers on pay. I think you'll find the same if you browse job postings. There are of course a few hiring/recruiting platforms now that do make companies up front about compensation, but I view them as the exception, not the rule.

The last time I did look for a job, I don't remember *any* of the companies discussing specifics on compensation until I was given an offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

What kind of company advertises for a job without even the slightest indication of how much they're willing to pay, though? (And if they are doing the 'competitive pay' thing and not saying, that's not going to help getting qualified candidates, just saying)

Where are you seeing indicators of pay levels anywhere on job advertisements? None of the big companies have salary numbers:
https://www.facebook.com/careers/jobs/a0I1200000JIa6OEAT/
https://www.google.com/about/careers/jobs#!t=jo&jid=/google/software-engineer-1600-amphitheatre-parkway-mountain-view-6540009&
https://www.uber.com/careers/list/21237/
https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/433626

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Munkeymon posted:

The stereotype is that only the homeless and old ladies use them because that's what overwhelmingly happens in car-dependant cities.

Also it's a part of the city where almost everyone has a car because walking is a huge pain in the butt. Also it's like 95 degrees out.

I'll bring up my car if I drat well want to :colbert:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pollyanna posted:

Also it's a part of the city where almost everyone has a car because walking is a huge pain in the butt. Also it's like 95 degrees out.

I'll bring up my car if I drat well want to :colbert:

Waaaaaah

This is another example of how you're pretty insufferable and why you've been drummed out of the Boston thread.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

Waaaaaah

This is another example of how you're pretty insufferable and why you've been drummed out of the Boston thread.

huh, boston people really are like that

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone gotten into a dev job due to professional experience with scripting? I've scripted a couple time-consuming brain-numbing tasks over the past couple months, and will keep doing so when the opportunity arises. The thing I don't know is if companies are interested in someone programming scripts rather than a project for end users. I also haven't really gotten into OO Powershell, it's all been procedural. Or does calling other scripts from within scripts count as OO? It just felt natural to me, but I'm not sure if it's because I've been doing OO work in school and personal projects for so long.

Am I looking at DevOps if I want to do that?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Steve French posted:

Most of them, in my experience? I don't job hunt often, but I do get quite a bit of recruiter spam, and the majority of it does not mention specific numbers on pay. I think you'll find the same if you browse job postings. There are of course a few hiring/recruiting platforms now that do make companies up front about compensation, but I view them as the exception, not the rule.

The last time I did look for a job, I don't remember *any* of the companies discussing specifics on compensation until I was given an offer.

It's common enough, but people with options don't necessarily want to waste their time.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Waaaaaah

What are you talking about?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Am I looking at DevOps if I want to do that?

Yes.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Gounads posted:

You have a dedicated scrum master but no sprint in 2 months? What does he do?

He's only been here for 2 weeks.

Job update: got my 2nd choice job :yotj: starting next month, I hope it's as cool as it looked.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Ehhh, that's kind of simplistic. DevOps has been, I think unjustly conflated with ops + scripting when the reality is that it's more akin to pipeline development + behavior change. While a lot of my job responsibilities lie in keeping the lights on, so to speak, the larger part of it involves advocating for shared infrastructure responsibility and working with bizdev to achieve that. Also developing internal tooling.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Blinkz0rz posted:

Ehhh, that's kind of simplistic. DevOps has been, I think unjustly conflated with ops + scripting when the reality is that it's more akin to pipeline development + behavior change. While a lot of my job responsibilities lie in keeping the lights on, so to speak, the larger part of it involves advocating for shared infrastructure responsibility and working with bizdev to achieve that. Also developing internal tooling.

It was simplistic but it's still the correct answer. DevOps is a very complex field but it is at its base about improving efficiency through automating tasks and processes which is what dude seems to be enjoying. I didn't conflate it with anything. Your assumption that he has no desire to grow beyond what hes currently doing is a little weird.

Ed: also I work in security which has been justly conflated with writing terrible, unmanageable, inefficient scripts and over the last week my team has had its OKRs saved by DevOps so I promise I'm not throwing stones from my glass house.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 15, 2016

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

pr0zac posted:

It was simplistic but it's still the correct answer. DevOps is a very complex field but it is at its base about improving efficiency through automating tasks and processes which is what dude seems to be enjoying. I didn't conflate it with anything. Your assumption that he has no desire to grow beyond what hes currently doing is a little weird.

it started as a philosophy of recognizing operations as an aspect of development. source control, tests, reproducability, etc all grew out of that. the current 'we need a devops team' view of devops is a pretty serious corruption of what devops was supposed to address (but it's better than the old 'operations is a bunch of bash scripts and maybe some perl, if we're lucky' world)

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

the talent deficit posted:

it started as a philosophy of recognizing operations as an aspect of development. source control, tests, reproducability, etc all grew out of that. the current 'we need a devops team' view of devops is a pretty serious corruption of what devops was supposed to address (but it's better than the old 'operations is a bunch of bash scripts and maybe some perl, if we're lucky' world)

this++

Like all good things in tech it got buzzworded to hell and what remains is the shambling hulk of what devops tries to do without the spirit of what it should be.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
You guys are getting really defensive considering nothing I'm saying disagrees with you? Why does suggesting that dude's interests align with DevOps seem so threatening?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

pr0zac posted:

You guys are getting really defensive considering nothing I'm saying disagrees with you? Why does suggesting that dude's interests align with DevOps seem so threatening?

Because they think you're saying yes to scripting when you really said yes to infrastructure management.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

pr0zac posted:

treating devops like some discrete role and not just another developer role is ghettoizing devops and is going to lead right back to the situation where ops is seen as a cost center, a necessary evil and subordinate to dev where the whole point of devops was recognizing that it shouldn't be. if you want to focus on infrastructure design & management as a developer that's great, but no one should aspire to be a 'devops' developer

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

treating devops like some discrete role and not just another developer role is ghettoizing devops and is going to lead right back to the situation where ops is seen as a cost center, a necessary evil and subordinate to dev where the whole point of devops was recognizing that it shouldn't be. if you want to focus on infrastructure design & management as a developer that's great, but no one should aspire to be a 'devops' developer

I think he meant as an area of interest, not a job title, but assuming even that is awful...

Why not? Plenty of people aspire to be a "security" developer or an "infrastructure" developer, so why not devops? I know dozens of people across several teams at my company whose job is to solely help teams better manage operations through shared infrastructure. They are certainly not in a ghetto.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

This is as stupid as saying calling mobile development a discrete role ghettoizes mobile devs or saying its wrong to state web developers and embedded developers have different roles.

Its a separate focus inside the sphere of developer jobs with its own collection of skills and knowledge and its completely reasonable to use devops as a shorthand term to clarify all of that.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

pr0zac posted:

This is as stupid as saying calling mobile development a discrete role ghettoizes mobile devs or saying its wrong to state web developers and embedded developers have different roles.

Its a separate focus inside the sphere of developer jobs with its own collection of skills and knowledge and its completely reasonable to use devops as a shorthand term to clarify all of that.

i think that if a company is using devops or sre as a team/role title it exposes that they value that role below 'real dev'. this is true in my experience from google all the way down to tiny startups. other than that i think we're in agreement

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pr0zac posted:

As long as we don't forget that you had the sheer gall to encourage somebody towards an interest in development without pedantically correcting their particular phrasing of one discipline within it.

You monster.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FamDav posted:

Why not? Plenty of people aspire to be a "security" developer or an "infrastructure" developer, so why not devops? I know dozens of people across several teams at my company whose job is to solely help teams better manage operations through shared infrastructure. They are certainly not in a ghetto.

Deployment infrastructure is hard, and one's efforts typically have very little visibility to customers, so you're at a disadvantage out of the gate right there. Developers want to do things their way and just write code, so you get a big pile of application and config to setup, and even if you are working directly with the developers from the start, unless you are given authority over the deployment infrastructure, you can sometimes just be overruled and you end up spending your day writing a patchwork of scripts to make a monstrosity work.

Much like scrum, it's extremely rare to see devops done "right".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

baquerd posted:

Deployment infrastructure is hard, and one's efforts typically have very little visibility to customers, so you're at a disadvantage out of the gate right there. Developers want to do things their way and just write code, so you get a big pile of application and config to setup, and even if you are working directly with the developers from the start, unless you are given authority over the deployment infrastructure, you can sometimes just be overruled and you end up spending your day writing a patchwork of scripts to make a monstrosity work.

I really don't know what I'm talking about but...that sounds exactly like "security" and "infrastructure" to me.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

I really don't know what I'm talking about but...that sounds exactly like "security" and "infrastructure" to me.

Software infrastructure... it depends. If you are doing PaaS work, software infrastructure is highly visible and client facing. Software infrastructure engineers are often key standard-setters that carry the core of company software and have a lot of internal prestige and visibility.
Security... also depends. Some clients want in-depth understanding of your security system and may have pen-testers come in, or you may simply participate directly in sales meetings to talk technically with clients.

I've never seen a client ask to see a CI/CD pipeline or deployment process though.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

baquerd posted:

Your customer is the developer, not the person who shops in your marketplace. They want to write code, but they also don't want outages, or high ops churn. They do want flexibility, speed, and integration into other existing systems so that it's easy to do the right thing.

I've worked on deployment architecture in a couple of roles now, and if I ever thought that my work wasn't prioritized I'd jump ship immediately because that company is hosed long term. If your company wants to scale, you need to invest in great infrastructure that works, or find out too late that you're paralyzed. It's also something that is generally "boring as poo poo" at smaller companies while being super compelling at large companies, so I could understand why it's less interesting at small companies.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

So I just got an offer for a position that wouldn't start until the end of next month. It's also contingent on the approval of a contract so it's not 100% certain yet. I'm pretty confident that my current company would match the offer. I don't have any intention of staying, but I'd like the leverage to negotiate for more. The problem is that I obviously can't take the offer to my current employer just yet.

Can I accept an offer and attempt to renegotiate a few weeks from now if my employer counters?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

So I just got an offer for a position that wouldn't start until the end of next month. It's also contingent on the approval of a contract so it's not 100% certain yet. I'm pretty confident that my current company would match the offer. I don't have any intention of staying, but I'd like the leverage to negotiate for more. The problem is that I obviously can't take the offer to my current employer just yet.

Can I accept an offer and attempt to renegotiate a few weeks from now if my employer counters?

You don't have an offer if it's contingent on some outlying factor

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Fellatio del Toro posted:

If you accept an offer, you have agreed that their compensation is sufficient.

Nothing stops you from saying, a few months or weeks later, that you feel underpaid. There's just no real obligation on anyone's part to meet those needs.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I got an email yesterday from someone asking if I'd be interested in learning more about a position at Disney. Cut to me sitting in front of my computer this morning wondering why no one had joined the conference call they'd scheduled 10 minutes after it was supposed to start.

What's this? An email from the person's administrative assistant?

"I apologize for the inconvenience.  It turns out that the opportunity requires a CS degree and we can't proceed with your candidacy.

My apologies."

You motherfuckers contacted me first, don't lead people on like that :argh:

According to some friends I dodged a bullet, though. Apparently Disney is a dumpster fire after replacing a bunch of devs with H1B candidates?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IAmKale posted:

According to some friends I dodged a bullet, though. Apparently Disney is a dumpster fire after replacing a bunch of devs with H1B candidates?
Depends on the role. I've got some friends there that are quite happy but maybe they're just naive and about to get blindsided by layoffs.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

IAmKale posted:

Disney has over 180,000 employees. It's pretty much impossible to make any general statement about the company as a whole. I know some people who work dev at Themeparks (In Seattle no less) and are really really happy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Pretty sure they did that for their games dev side of things but yeah everybody I've met that was doing stuff other than dev says Disney is alright to work for. They're a lumbering behemoth of a company though.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/us/lawsuit-claims-disney-colluded-to-replace-us-workers-with-immigrants.html

Disney isn't all magical kingdom, but again it all depends on the team.

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016

DevOps is too close to IT, it's a cost center and not a value creating position.

Hughlander posted:

Disney has over 180,000 employees. It's pretty much impossible to make any general statement about the company as a whole. I know some people who work dev at Themeparks (In Seattle no less) and are really really happy.

Without a doubt, Disney is a third tier company to do development work at. I know people doing dev work for 50k a year and they are happy, it doesn't mean the company is actually good.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What kind of trip am I in for if I go down the temp-for-hire path? I'm pretty risk-averse so my initial reaction is to reject it for a guaranteed full-time job, but I've been told that it's not all that bad - apparently it's a great way to get experience in a number of environment? I would be nervous walking into a six-month assignment only to have to worry about finding another one to move into right away afterwards. What should I look out for if I go down this path?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You're almost certainly looking at no PTO, or really any benefits other than health insurance. Being on contract means that if things go bad financially, you're the one that's going to be gone by the end of your contract because people find it more palatable to not hire someone than to fire someone.

If you get a direct hire job offer, go for it unless you can use that as leverage to get something better from the contract to hire. What better means is up to you. If I had options, I would go direct hire over a similar or slightly better contract to hire, but around here it's the only game in town.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Props to Hudson River Trading, nice to see someone putting in some effort now and again, from snack overflow jobs.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Kephael posted:

DevOps is too close to IT, it's a cost center and not a value creating position.

What a fundamentally broken way of thinking. I'd argue that the software that keeps the product running is absolutely not a cost center but is, instead, equally as valuable as the product itself. Without it, who cares what the product is supposed to do?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Blinkz0rz posted:

What a fundamentally broken way of thinking. I'd argue that the software that keeps the product running is absolutely not a cost center but is, instead, equally as valuable as the product itself. Without it, who cares what the product is supposed to do?

I mean yeah you as a tech person realizes this and it's the correct way of thinking about it. The bean counters aren't techies though.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Necc0 posted:

I mean yeah you as a tech person realizes this and it's the correct way of thinking about it. The bean counters aren't techies though.

Accountants are also (but not always) not

* research scientists
* machinists
* physicists

And yet there are companies where they are valued and where they are not. You likely want to work at a company where tech is valued and appreciated at all levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I feel like devops and IT are seen as high-level janitors. They just make things nice for the people who really work there.