Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Reinanigans posted:

Lotad line, Ralts line, Taillow line, Aron line, Shroomish line, Slakoth line (no, really), Elektrike line, Trapinch line, any of the starters...Apart from those last two, all of them are available before the second gym. ORAS probably has the best assortment of early Pokémon of any game in the series. It's one of the only things I'll rank it over other entries.

Later in the game you get access to a bunch of good water types like Corphish, Feebas, and Spheal, but they're almost too late. And of course, poo poo wreckers like Beldum and Bagon who also come super late, but are amazing.

What? ORAS has some of the shittiest early selection of any game in the series, especially when we just came off X/Y which is literally objectively the best. Especially since they locked some stuff you used to be able to get early in R/S/E until later!

The only games that are worse are B/W1 and its a close thing.

:psyduck:

Like, you have access to more than sixty lines of pokemon before the second gym in X/Y. Including things like Tyrunt, Absol, Drifloon, Axew, Croagunk, Scraggy, Kanto Starters, Venipede, Aegislash, Meowstic etc...

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Calaveron posted:

I can't wait until I can start trading online so one of you dear friends can send me a larvitar

He's my best friend

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In X and Y, once you get into the back half of the game, wild encounters of new evolutionary lines tend to be already evolved.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Zore posted:

What? ORAS has some of the shittiest early selection of any game in the series, especially when we just came off X/Y which is literally objectively the best. Especially since they locked some stuff you used to be able to get early in R/S/E until later!

The only games that are worse are B/W1 and its a close thing.

:psyduck:

Like, you have access to more than sixty lines of pokemon before the second gym in X/Y. Including things like Tyrunt, Absol, Drifloon, Axew, Croagunk, Scraggy, Kanto Starters, Venipede, Aegislash, Meowstic etc...

Maybe I just meant RSE instead, I dunno. I didn't notice a difference between RSE and ORAS.

And I guess I still don't remember much of XY and was comparing RSE with Gens 1-5. I still think the early selection in RSE is the best until XY.

I also think I like generations that are mostly self contained, meaning they mostly have brand new Pokémon making up the catchable Pokémon. It's one of the reasons BW1 is my favorite game in the series. EVERY Pokémon was brand new, there were no old guys from previous generations. That hadn't happened since RBY. XY was basically the opposite.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Whoa so I can trade now so if anyone has a larvitar how can we make this happen

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Reinanigans posted:

Maybe I just meant RSE instead, I dunno. I didn't notice a difference between RSE and ORAS.

And I guess I still don't remember much of XY and was comparing RSE with Gens 1-5. I still think the early selection in RSE is the best until XY.

I also think I like generations that are mostly self contained, meaning they mostly have brand new Pokémon making up the catchable Pokémon. It's one of the reasons BW1 is my favorite game in the series. EVERY Pokémon was brand new, there were no old guys from previous generations. That hadn't happened since RBY. XY was basically the opposite.

I mean, that's fine, but the worst part of both B/W and ORAS is their garbage early selection of mons. ORAS at least opens up later, but B/W pace themselves so much in encounters and absurdly high evo levels that far too many pokemon are gym 7+ exclusive (hope you never really wanted to use Briavary, Vulbaby, Durant, Heatmor, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Buffolount, Bisharp, etc.) Kills any desire in me to replay because there's no variety at all until the game's already over.

And ORAS removed Sableye/Mawile/Nosepass/Aron by blocking off the lower areas of Granite cave when you could immediately go down in the originals. Its real dumb!

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 21, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
An adamant protean froakie with substitute, bounce, double team and hydro pump whoa

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Calaveron posted:

Whoa so I can trade now so if anyone has a larvitar how can we make this happen

i have a few dragon dance/pursuit in friend balls i bred up, of which you can have

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zore posted:

And ORAS removed Sableye/Mawile/Nosepass/Aron by blocking off the lower areas of Granite cave when you could immediately go down in the originals. Its real dumb!

now i'm glad i never bought oras

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

now i'm glad i never bought oras

ORAS is good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ORAS is good because it's pokemon and bad because it's RSE

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

ORAS is good

Its okay. At best.

Dexnav is amazing, soaring is fun and so is the postgame story. Its too bad they were stapled on to a really mediocre/bad skeleton.

I like every part of ORAS except the region and pokemon selection basically. But those two part are real bad

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oras has the iv checker, a daycare, and a hold one direction egg hatching loop right on top of each other so that's cool

also the dexnav for finding hidden abilities

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ORAS would have been way better if they had remade Emerald instead of Ruby and Sapphire.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

oras added a lot of side stuff that's cool but hoenn is still the weakest region and I will always hate that rock you have to break every time you want to go north from the town with the lightning gym

delta episode was v dumb and good tho and I can only hope that gen 7 goes as far in that direction as possible

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

oddium posted:

oras has the iv checker, a daycare, and a hold one direction egg hatching loop right on top of each other so that's cool

also the dexnav for finding hidden abilities

I still like friend safari more for hidden abilities. Wish they would bring that back in sun/moon

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

oddium posted:

i have a few dragon dance/pursuit in friend balls i bred up, of which you can have

Remind me what we need to do to trade on the internet
My friend code is 1547-5239-8991

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 21, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Calaveron posted:

you go to the friend menu of the 3ds and add this code: 5215 0019 4882

and then you give me your code and we should show up on the pss screen i think and i trade you a larvitar. the only things i want are dream ball females or fancy pattern vivillon but i doubt you have either so whatever you think is cool

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

oras added a lot of side stuff that's cool but hoenn is still the weakest region and I will always hate that rock you have to break every time you want to go north from the town with the lightning gym

delta episode was v dumb and good tho and I can only hope that gen 7 goes as far in that direction as possible

Oh my god that rock is the loving worst.

Especially since I hate carting around HM slaves (I usually just teach main party members Surf/Strength and you can usually get by without the rest) but ORAS has so many 'gently caress you, HM time' moments.

Or 'gently caress you, go back to Mauville and switch bikes'.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Has there been any incarnation of Seaking that wasn't terrible?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

oddium posted:

you go to the friend menu of the 3ds and add this code: 5215 0019 4882

and then you give me your code and we should show up on the pss screen i think and i trade you a larvitar. the only things i want are dream ball females or fancy pattern vivillon but i doubt you have either so whatever you think is cool

Sorry because all I have at the moment is fodder

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Hadaka Apron posted:

Has there been any incarnation of Seaking that wasn't terrible?

Seaking is good and cool.

Also gen 1 gimmick sets were great. Seaking and Destroy was pretty devastating (and also I invented it. I'm not being facetious I legitimately coined the name and set)

I think it was Blizzard, Horn Drill, Agility, Hydro Pump.

Agility jacks up your speed (and thus crit rate and Horn Drill accuracy), which means Blizzard and Hydro Pump ALSO miss less.

This ONLY works in gen 1, of course!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Whoops were you offering me that lion guy too? Sorry I backed out

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah it's a moon ball shinx with ice fang if you'd like, better than just wonder trading them like i usually do

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Calaveron posted:

My friend code is 1547-5239-8991

I've got OR so if you haven't got them already I can trade the exclusives over.

fc: 2595-4717-9681

e: I am only at e4 in game though

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Pretty much, by the time I got to Kyogre I had a full team that could take out anything... and I didn't even like most of them. And by full team that could take out anything I mean Mega Manectric had to kill all of Team Aqua by itself and Mega Metagross kept being there whenever i felt like turning a battle into a nothing sequence of tapping a button. A remixed selection of pokemon would've gone a long way, if they do Crazy Diamond and Pearl Jam then they absolutely have to push more Pokemon variety into Sinnoh, and probably lower how many HMs you need.

Also I didn't really like Delta Episode, it opens with your dad being a massive dickwad by visiting the family and then just binge his tv shows while mom's doing chores. Once he finally pays attention to her it's to tell her that he's not gonna do the meteor shower date, wtf. Then they start pushing me to go with the neighbor??? the family is falling apart! let me go with mom to strengthen the bonds with the family! And eventually you go to a battle, read where they want you to battle next, rinse and repeat while this random girl decides to be vague and prolong the story when she could just tell us what's what so we can do it. Eventually I have a decent fight before immediately getting Mega Rayquaza and OHKOing Deoxys, incapable of losing anything with the win button that's been forced unto me, nothing but see the family crumble as they essentially admit they're only together to take care of their child.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Nessa posted:

ORAS would have been way better if they had remade Emerald instead of Ruby and Sapphire.

emerald was cool. im still disappointed oras didnt have it's both-teams extended plotline or battle frontier

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
My favorites

I wish stufful was fairy/fighting

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'm sure somebody somewhere has already compared each game by number of new species available between each gym, but if I had to guess it's technically gotten better with each generation of new games. Just, for whatever reason, the remakes are always super stubborn about not changing things from the original so they feel even worse next to the new thing you just played. Maybe they'll stop that trend this generation, but I super doubt it. Crazy Diamond won't even use Star Platinum's pokedex.

Similarly, the trials in gen 7 will probably be super cool and have rules like "you can only use 2-3 pokemon just like the captain does" so suddenly gen 4's 2-3 pokemon leaders will feel even more terrible in comparison there too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Been enjoying the Mew glitch on Yellow, I have caught a ton of Pokemon you can't get on yellow tonight. There's a trainer just to the east of Cinnabar I can use, then I fly to Fuschia, switch boxes, reset, push the Boulder, make sure I have one empty slot in my party, then just go to wherever has wild Pokemon with special values close to what I want. Save, catch, and check its special. If it isn't something I need or want, just reset, all o have to redo is the catching part. It's great.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Reimou posted:

My favorites

I wish stufful was fairy/fighting

Oh man, Whimsicott is my favorite pokemon I always forget exists.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Decus posted:

I'm sure somebody somewhere has already compared each game by number of new species available between each gym, but if I had to guess it's technically gotten better with each generation of new games. Just, for whatever reason, the remakes are always super stubborn about not changing things from the original so they feel even worse next to the new thing you just played. Maybe they'll stop that trend this generation, but I super doubt it. Crazy Diamond won't even use Star Platinum's pokedex.

HGSS actually pulled a lot of stuff from crystal which makes ORAS slavish devotion to the original story that much more disappointing

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

HGSS actually pulled a lot of stuff from crystal which makes ORAS slavish devotion to the original story that much more disappointing

You're right, but not the pokedex sadly. And maybe not the gym trainers? I can't remember on that front.

edit: Right, HGSS did touch the gym leaders/trainers but mostly their levels and not from crystal.

Decus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 21, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I can't wait for Alolan Primal Raichu

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Classtoise posted:

Agility jacks up your speed (and thus crit rate and Horn Drill accuracy), which means Blizzard and Hydro Pump ALSO miss less.

Noooo, that's not how that works. Crits work on your base speed. Raising speed in battle doesn't increase that, or your accuracy. Blizzard had 90% accuracy so it was pretty good and Hydro Pump has 85%. Horn Drill misses every time if you're a lower level than the target anyway, and 30% otherwise.

To make it so things never miss, use one X Accuracy to skip the accuracy check. This applies to all moves.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Decus posted:

You're right, but not the pokedex sadly. And maybe not the gym trainers? I can't remember on that front.

edit: Right, HGSS did touch the gym leaders/trainers but mostly their levels and not from crystal.

Between the Pokewalker, pokelympics giving easy stone access and the added safari zone it did mix up the pokedex quite a bit actually.

Like Murkrow and Houndor were available in Johto!

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 21, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Zore posted:

Between the Pokewalker, pokelympics giving easy stone access and the added safari zone it did mix up the pokedex quite a bit actually.

Like Murkrow and Houndor were available in Johto!

HGSS's Safari Zone was neat because it granted you access to so many Pokémon... The one issue I had with it is the fact that it takes an eternity to get the access to everything.

You need to arrange a space with a certain layout and wait 200 days for Gible to appear.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Crosspeice posted:

Noooo, that's not how that works. Crits work on your base speed. Raising speed in battle doesn't increase that, or your accuracy. Blizzard had 90% accuracy so it was pretty good and Hydro Pump has 85%. Horn Drill misses every time if you're a lower level than the target anyway, and 30% otherwise.

To make it so things never miss, use one X Accuracy to skip the accuracy check. This applies to all moves.

But Horn Drill works off Speed straight up?

I know the accuracy was just really high for those two moves which was the BIG reason to use them.

Either way it was literally the only viable Seaking set when Seaking actually had a shot of being anything remotely usable :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
HGSS is by far the best remake and it still doesn't quite improve from the originals as much as it should.

They should just B2W2 everything going forward: rather than Crazy Diamond and Pearl Jam with elements from Star Platinum, it should be Diamond 2 and Pearl 2, taking place several years later, a new town opened up, Rowan looks ancient as is even more sassy, everything is warmer because global warming and thus there's a swarm of fire types in every route, what remains of Team Galactic now runs a social media site and is trying to destroy the world through it or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
ORAS was disappointing to me because the Battle Resort was just copy-pasted from X/Y for the most part. The Battle Frontier was probably the 3rd gens coolest feature and they just didn't include it. The Delta Episode was also insanely mediocre so that didn't make up for the lack of it at all.