Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

to me a collection is a hassle and I keep getting closer and closer to cashing out and getting all the flash carts

If I would get a good offer on my collection right now, I might be tempted to do this, despite what I said earlier. I would keep the consoles, maybe even get a few more, but all my future purchases would be flashcarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

fishmech posted:

I doubt Gamestop deliberately threw out cases and manuals in bulk, so much as people traded in disc only games, or games in hosed up cases missing the manual/cover art paper or with that stuff ripped up. I mean they had all those blank DVD cases available for games they only had a disc for after all.

I mean I remember plenty of times picking up some game or other and there was someone ahead in line trading in games with literally the whole front half the case ripped off, or a disc or DS cart rubber-banded to a beat up manual

Last year I sold a Pokémon Diamond to Gamestop because it was an instant $30 and they explicitly told me they were gonna chuck the case into the trash and let me keep the empty case.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

From what I remembered, when they were doing their clearance, I heard at least 3 employees from different stores say they were instructed to toss ps2 cases and manuals to make room for all the discs that needed to be on clearance.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fishmech posted:

I doubt Gamestop deliberately threw out cases and manuals in bulk, so much as people traded in disc only games, or games in hosed up cases missing the manual/cover art paper or with that stuff ripped up. I mean they had all those blank DVD cases available for games they only had a disc for after all.

I mean I remember plenty of times picking up some game or other and there was someone ahead in line trading in games with literally the whole front half the case ripped off, or a disc or DS cart rubber-banded to a beat up manual

A few years back, my fiancee and I went to a Gamestop to see if they had a DS game that had only come out a few months prior (Virtue's Last Reward). They had it, and insisted it was new, but cart-only. They just straight-up said they tossed the packaging.

Gamestop is basically Satan's cockhole.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Allen Wren posted:

A few years back, my fiancee and I went to a Gamestop to see if they had a DS game that had only come out a few months prior (Virtue's Last Reward). They had it, and insisted it was new, but cart-only. They just straight-up said they tossed the packaging.

Gamestop is basically Satan's cockhole.

They probably were lying about it being new, yo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fishmech posted:

I purchased a Brand New copy of MKXL about a week after it came out because I was in the mall and GameStop was there and my buddy was interested in the new MK game.

They tried to sell me a manual-less CD that was placed in their little paper sleeve things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't believe for a second that it's company policy, but there's a hell of a lot of dishonest GameStop employees/managers out there.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

URL grey tea posted:

Has anyone else experienced a slight buzzing with the NES30 plugged in? I haven't tried it on my setup yet but a friend had noticable audio buzzing as soon as the bluetooth light came on.
No more so than usual. Audio out of an NES, even/especially if you have an nesrgb, is pretty noisy. I'll second the recommendation to check the power supply.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

As for you wanting to replace the mushy d-pad in your NES30, though I cannot confirm with the NES30 because I do not own one, the SNES30 is absolutely identical to the original SNES controller inside (meaning the membranes and stuff). As an experiment I swapped out the d-pad, the d-pad membrane, the ABXY buttons, the ABXY membranes, and the L and R buttons and membranes between a real SNES controller and the SNES30 and it fit perfectly.
Heh, first thing I did, actually. I have a handful of extra SNES replacement membranes, and they aren't a perfect fit for the NES30, they're just a tiny bit too small.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 20, 2016

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

d0s posted:

nah, improving functionality is cool in my book, same goes for RGB mods etc. kthulu5k's hot rod analogy works here

i'm also cool with this, i realize that might not have been clear in my words post. mods that add something and don't take away from something else are as cool and fine as you can get, even if there is a tiny super-purist part of my brain that thinks flaws are an intrinsic part of a thing and should be kept that i 100% realize is kinda crazy and all me. and i don't have any sort of visceral disgusted reaction to made from scratch repros either, i feel like that got kinda muddled too. i just think they're tacky and impractical.

trashing a vectrex to make it run milkdrop or whatever though, that's peak lame!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chainclaw posted:

As someone who participates in a few hobbies, the defensiveness people get over the destruction of a SNES copy of a game you couldn't give away is baffling. Especially considering when these hobbies overlap, I imagine some of you would have heart attacks if you knew what the video synthesizer community was doing to Vectrexes. I'm even thinking about getting a second vectrex to gut and turn into a really slick video synthesizer.

So I looked this up and video synthesizer fans... really like early 2000s screen savers? What an odd hobby.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cliff Racer posted:

So I looked this up and video synthesizer fans... really like early 2000s screen savers? What an odd hobby.

It doesn't really seem like it's destructive though, you basically disconnect the leads to the original circuit board and wire them into external equipment. So if you wanted to play Vectrex games again it'd be very minor work to reconnect the original stuff.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

fishmech posted:

It doesn't really seem like it's destructive though, you basically disconnect the leads to the original circuit board and wire them into external equipment. So if you wanted to play Vectrex games again it'd be very minor work to reconnect the original stuff.

if that's the case then that's fine and that dude really should have picked a word other than "gut"

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Got my GBA everdrive in today. Obviously the first thing anyone does is get a complete romset and clean it up.

Any cool hacks/translations I should do with this thing? I know there's a good sound fix for final fantasy and pokemon light platinum sees to be the best of the million pokemon hacks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

absolutely anything posted:

if that's the case then that's fine and that dude really should have picked a word other than "gut"

Well you usually would take most of the original components out and set them aside, so gut sounds like a fair enough description. They're just not getting thrown out unless the Vectrex board was already broken.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm going to assume me and fishmech read the same synthesizer thread. The guys made it sound as if it was really easy solder work. But I might have been misreading them.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

fishmech posted:

Well you usually would take most of the original components out and set them aside, so gut sounds like a fair enough description. They're just not getting thrown out unless the Vectrex board was already broken.

for me "gut" implies a permanent removal and the way you're describing it makes it sounds like if the vectrex magically had more space inside it you could wire up a toggle switch to change between the vectrex and winamp visualizer boards

e: which is to say, nothing's really happening to the "vectrex" part of the vectrex. you're basically just unplugging it and plugging in something totally different, and as long as you're not a dirtbag that would throw away a working vectrex board you can plug it back in whenever you want. and that's fine

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 21, 2016

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I really like the overlap in retro gaming and video synthesis right now, and the cool things people are doing in both places. The big downsides right now are the price and the compatibility gotchas between different video synthesizer manufactures. One item on my list to get eventually is something I think I originally found in this thread a few years ago, the Special Stage Systems World Core. It's a voltage controlled video synthesizer wrapped around an '80s style game console: http://www.specialstagesystems.com/system-overview/
Mixing that with a full Eurorack synthesizer setup, you could build a simple video game driven by modules inputting and outputting control voltages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGtVMaN07tc

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

absolutely anything posted:

for me "gut" implies a permanent removal and the way you're describing it makes it sounds like if the vectrex magically had more space inside it you could wire up a toggle switch to change between the vectrex and winamp visualizer boards

e: which is to say, nothing's really happening to the "vectrex" part of the vectrex. you're basically just unplugging it and plugging in something totally different, and as long as you're not a dirtbag that would throw away a working vectrex board you can plug it back in whenever you want. and that's fine

Yeah pretty much. You also end up cutting holes into the back plastic to run the new signals most of the time so the system won't look pristine but it's no big deal. But hell, my Atari 7800 has big ol chunks of the plastic missing because they cracked off when it got dropped down a staircase once, so it's no big deal.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fishmech posted:

If that's the case, they actually took the time to clean off the save files? I dunno, man. Crazy poo poo happens out there.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ineffiable posted:

Got my GBA everdrive in today. Obviously the first thing anyone does is get a complete romset and clean it up.

Any cool hacks/translations I should do with this thing? I know there's a good sound fix for final fantasy and pokemon light platinum sees to be the best of the million pokemon hacks.

I liked the various Final Fantasy VI Advance hacks that fix up a lot of the issues that version had in comparison to the SNES version.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
lets talk about mame cabs again

Only registered members can see post attachments!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Zand posted:

that one's cool because the monitor and speakers look like a face frozen in a pained expression

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zand posted:

Wow, you can even see it screaming out for an end to its suffering :stare:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zand posted:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
That little steering wheel!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Little? Its bigger than Donkey Kong!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah its funny but I think ps2 is already too late. The turning point was when gamestop was clearing out about 3 years ago. And sadly, gamestop threw out a lot of cases and manuals and sold them as disc only to save space. Getting good ps2 game cases and manuals might be almost as rare as cart games which is funny because you'd think it'd just be an easy thing to get complete.
Hmm well I guess it does depend on the game but I've not had too much trouble collecting yet. It helps that I already had a lot of the hits already before I started. It is true that the cases sometimes aren't included. I have some PS2/Xbox cases for really lovely trash that I don't mind replacing the boxart for but it's a finite limit compared to, say, jewel cases. Ultimately I'm getting these games to play them so that's the most important thing, not how nice my shelf looks.

I held on to a lot of PS2 games just because Gamestop was only taking pennies for them back when they still carried PS2 games and I was too lazy to list them so that ended up working out in my favor. I was sad however to open my Parappa 2 box and not find a CD in it. Apparently it got lost somewhere along the way :(

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 21, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I really hate when MAME cabinets have artwork for a thousand different games on it. I'm not sure why it bothers me but it does. When I found out the gutted machine I bought was originally an 1989 TMNT cabinet I went out and got all the original sideart and original marquee. Not even a reprint. The original one. It doesn't need to advertise that it has multiple games unless you're putting it in a pizzeria or something.

Another thing that annoys me in MAME cabinets: LCD screens :stonklol:

To be honest I am actually jealous of people who are happy with not caring about details like that.

xamphear posted:

No more so than usual. Audio out of an NES, even/especially if you have an nesrgb, is pretty noisy. I'll second the recommendation to check the power supply.
Heh, first thing I did, actually. I have a handful of extra SNES replacement membranes, and they aren't a perfect fit for the NES30, they're just a tiny bit too small.

Are you sure that your replacement membranes are from an actual SNES controller and not some ebay reprint? I lined the 8BITDO ones up with my actual SNES ones and they were exact!

xamphear posted:

That little steering wheel!

I have no idea how well they work because why would you want a steering wheel without a gas and brake pedal and without the manual transmission shifter but supposedly those are like $5 wheels you just slap on a spinner and they are supposed to be not terrible. I'm not into racing that much so I never cared to try though.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 21, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I really hate when MAME cabinets have artwork for a thousand different games on it. I'm not sure why it bothers me but it does.

I don't know why cabinet art designed by a middle schooler with a Trapper Keeper and a pack of Garbage Pail Kid stickers should bother you.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
sacrilege it might be, but I saw a guy play an entire electronic music set on a pair of modded game boys and it was honestly really cool. I know that sounds totally insane, but his soundcloud is here and I was super impressed. I don't think he makes music anymore, sadly.

e: check out the top track, hyperspace v1.2, it's very 'vvvvvv soundtrack', but i love it

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

I'm tiny darth

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Anyone have an opinion on the piko interactive games they sell on their store? I want to pick up a Super Noah's Ark 3d cartridge but have no clue on the quality they produce

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I actually have one (the aforementioned only repro I own) and its fine as far as I can tell. The cart is in good shape, comes with a hard plastic case and manual.

edit: FWIW I have the SNES version.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 21, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hmm well I guess it does depend on the game but I've not had too much trouble collecting yet. It helps that I already had a lot of the hits already before I started. It is true that the cases sometimes aren't included. I have some PS2/Xbox cases for really lovely trash that I don't mind replacing the boxart for but it's a finite limit compared to, say, jewel cases. Ultimately I'm getting these games to play them so that's the most important thing, not how nice my shelf looks.

I held on to a lot of PS2 games just because Gamestop was only taking pennies for them back when they still carried PS2 games and I was too lazy to list them so that ended up working out in my favor. I was sad however to open my Parappa 2 box and not find a CD in it. Apparently it got lost somewhere along the way :(

That's how honestly most people have a big collection, they manage to stock up during the bottom of the prices. I only have 100+ PS2 titles because I ordered 30+ back when Rakuten was still a thing and it would be like a dollar each, and I managed to get rule of rose for less than $40, Kuon for 8 dollars and more deals. I really picked up a lot of things before the prices hit.

The PS2 had one of the biggest customer base, so there's plenty of copies of any of the big mainstream stuff. It's the more niche stuff that's really starting to increase in value as more people want it, and start paying more for one of the last few complete copies. I almost broke down and bought a copy of blood will tell last year, it's one of the elusive ones for me.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

fishmech posted:

I doubt Gamestop deliberately threw out cases and manuals in bulk

why do you doubt that it's a store practice they still follow

I had a manager at one tell me they literally threw away every DS/3DS case they had to make space and were selling cart only at CIB cost. :toot:

e : also, you guys found THE WORST mame cabs :psyduck:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

pft I don't even have 100 PS2 titles. I have a few dozen though. apparently Xenosaga III is worth something, I dont know why, the entire Xenosaga series is loving garbage, why did I buy them. why

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

bpc908 posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the piko interactive games they sell on their store? I want to pick up a Super Noah's Ark 3d cartridge but have no clue on the quality they produce

My half assed opinion is it seems okay-ish? They're using a snap together shell for the genesis games it seems, and I can easily tell where the sprue was for each half. The case was quite good at least. Still haven't had time to actually stick the game in the console though. So cheapish components but nothing thats made me worry about holding up to normal use as of yet.

Edit: Oddly expensive PS2 games? Can some one explain why the .hack series is up there in price too? Is it because of Project X Zone? Surprisingly for some one who wasn't gonna get into PS2 games I've got about two dozen and just about everything I ever wanted for it.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 21, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Caitlin posted:

why do you doubt that it's a store practice they still follow

I had a manager at one tell me they literally threw away every DS/3DS case they had to make space and were selling cart only at CIB cost. :toot:

e : also, you guys found THE WORST mame cabs :psyduck:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing DS games go up in value, just because there's a lot of counterfeits, and legit games with boxes and manuals, are quickly becoming more scarce.

And they still play fine on a 3DS so I can see some desire for them still in 2016.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing DS games go up in value, just because there's a lot of counterfeits, and legit games with boxes and manuals, are quickly becoming more scarce.

And they still play fine on a 3DS so I can see some desire for them still in 2016.

The usual suspects are certainly keeping up their prices. I doubt we're going to see the absurdities we get elsewhere with DS, though, just because no one seems to want to collect portables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Ineffiable posted:

That's why I bought the dream cast gdu flash drive thing.

Someone may have answered this at some point, but are there original GD-ROM images out there? All I ever came across were hacked-up DiscJuggler shits made to fit on a CDR, which was fine I guess, but that's not gonna cut it for proper preservation.

• Locked thread