Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There are no guns in deus ex

There is only the blackjack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like the normal 10mm pistol in Deus Ex. You don't really need stealth when you can stroll around like Dirty Harry with a hotdog in his hand headshotting assholes.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BattleMaster posted:

I like the normal 10mm pistol in Deus Ex. You don't really need stealth when you can stroll around like Dirty Harry with a hotdog in his hand headshotting assholes.

Meeeh. For that, you really need to go to Human Revolution instead. The revolver in that game is great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Revolver in DXHR is sadly trash, and the 10mm pistol does straight up more damage thanks to the AP mod.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's explosive, and therefore inherently not trash, irrespective of any actual game stats.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Finally getting through Quake 4 after having it on Steam for ages, and I can't help but notice that the Strogg just love putting torsos in everything.

Supercomputer requires more storage space? Brand-new severed human torso will fit the bill. Stroylent pipes leaking all over your processing facility/barrel-zombie factory? cram a few torso-filters in the walls and enjoy your dry, rusted floors. Need something to make your vivisection chamber stand out? Just pile a bunch of severed torsos on that table, it don't matter if they're connected to anything.

Also holy crap were 2000's-era vehicle sections always this bad?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ChickenHeart posted:

Also holy crap were 2000's-era vehicle sections always this bad?

The HL2 stuff was fun at the time I'd say. Leon on a Jet ski at the end of Resident Evil 4 is pretty boss.

Duke Nukem riding on balls of steel was good in Duke 3D (90s though), trying to think of other ones

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I loving love the HL2 airboat.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

The HL2 stuff was fun at the time I'd say. Leon on a Jet ski at the end of Resident Evil 4 is pretty boss.

Duke Nukem riding on balls of steel was good in Duke 3D (90s though), trying to think of other ones

The vehicles in BF'42 were pretty good, but that wasn't really a “section”, as such.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Do you get more health as you go along in Deus Ex? I just blew up that boat and at some point I became able to withstand most small arms fire. I only really noticed it on the boat after I took out a small squad with the Dragon's Tooth as they kept firing at me, stuff that even a couple areas ago would have killed me. I didn't even have regeneration on.

By this point I won't say the game's really clicked for me, but I am definitely getting more enjoyment out of it than when I was slogging through the early levels.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A.o.D. posted:

Hell yeah buddy! Jeeps were fun too.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Quake 4 vehicle sections were widely considered hot garbage even when it came out and they're the only reason I never bothered replaying it more than twice. They last forever, aren't fun and look awful. idtech 4 wasn't a good engine for outdoor sections unless extensively modified, which Raven didn't do until Wolfenstein 2009.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
When do I get my remakes of Redneck Rampage :c

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

verbal enema posted:

I was going to make a Psychonauts 2 joke, but then I remembered that I keep mixing up Redneck Rampage and Full Throttle, and checked up which was which, which made the joke (and this post) completely misinformed and pointless.

:justpost:

For real, though, isn't that one more title that's lost in the morass of IP-ownership confusion that always surrounds old Interplay titles?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A.o.D. posted:

I spent quite a lot of time back in the mid-2000's in the route kanal chapter trying to get the thing to do a barrel roll, just to see if I could fight the programming they put in to keep it upright. Eventually I got it to by driving it off a ramp that I'd put a bunch of cinderblocks in front of so I did a corkscrew. Physics fuckery was fun in the early days.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

verbal enema posted:

The remakes I find myself most interested in are great premises with poor execution.

So:
Redneck Rampage
Messiah
Others...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I need some advice on level design. Here is the current project I'm working on (run it in Doom 2), or at least, the first three levels. I'm having trouble nailing down a good difficulty ramp- I'm wondering if the difficulty hike at level 3 is too much, too fast. The player gets the gatling gun at the end of level 2 and then level 3 opens with a "hey dummy, use the gatling gun you just got" section... but I played it on UV (I do most of my testing on Hurt Me Plenty) and I get owned pretty consistently. What I wanna know is, should I put in a level between 2 and 3 that has maybe one big arena room before throwing them into a bunch in the third level?

edit: Also there's no music because I haven't decided what to put in yet, so turn down your music unless you really like the doom 2 main menu theme :v:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

A.o.D. posted:

I did the airboat chapter on foot once. It was fun, and took hours. Had to cheat a few times to get places where I normally couldn't go too. Highway 17 on foot is a lot easier, and more hectic, since you have no way of outrunning all the antlions.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Getting close to finishing Quake 4, and now I have a hankerin' for some Quake Wars. I remember having tons of fun with the early-access beta back in the day, but I have no idea what the state of the game is now. Can you even buy it anywhere?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

ChickenHeart posted:

Getting close to finishing Quake 4, and now I have a hankerin' for some Quake Wars. I remember having tons of fun with the early-access beta back in the day, but I have no idea what the state of the game is now. Can you even buy it anywhere?

I don't think so, which is a shame :/

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Thyrork posted:

Still need to review Dump 3 when its done too, heh. :stonklol:
You've got a while on that, I think; still not really clear on when the final compilation's gonna be released. There is a test build out, but there's been a few revisions to various maps since then that it doesn't cover.

Also the weapons mod. TBH I didn't really pay that one too much attention, barring a brief run around in Plutonia with the first release; it's okay, I guess?

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

ChickenHeart posted:

resellers on amazon are most likely the easiest way

Dukka fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 21, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah it was pulled from Steam for some reason. I bought it and can still download it but it's not on the shop anymore.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just played through the first episode of DTWID on UV with MetaDoom, going 100% apeshit the whole time. I don't know if it's just because MetaDoom is balanced around rewarding aggression or I'm finally getting better at Doom, but I finished it without dying and had the most fun I've had with Doom in a long time.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah it was pulled from Steam for some reason. I bought it and can still download it but it's not on the shop anymore.
It got pulled when they brought down the master and stat servers (or around then at least), though as one would expect there is still a niche community that plays it either through hard copies or like in your case with a legacy purchase on Steam.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Where I live there are tons of Quake Wars copies in stores. Nobody buys them. I wonder if they have Steam codes inside boxes.

BTW, you can add Prey permanently to your Steam library if you have an original copy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quake Wars keys can't be redeemed on steam. Also, for some reason I swear that I owned a steam copy but it isn't on my game library.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Is there any sort of comprehensive list of early FPS games?

There was one game I played in like 1995, and literally all I remember about it is that it's set on some sort of space station and that it had an SVGA mode.

I don't even remember if I liked it, I'd just love to remember what it was called.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

joedevola posted:

Is there any sort of comprehensive list of early FPS games?

There was one game I played in like 1995, and literally all I remember about it is that it's set on some sort of space station and that it had an SVGA mode.

I don't even remember if I liked it, I'd just love to remember what it was called.

Corridor 7 maybe? It's a boring rear end wolfenclone

http://youtu.be/3ICP-4c23CA

In re: vehicle segments, the 2000s craze is probably entirely attributable to Halo and it worked a lot better there than in any of the attempts to imitate it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

skasion posted:

In re: vehicle segments, the 2000s craze is probably entirely attributable to Halo and it worked a lot better there than in any of the attempts to imitate it.

Didn't Halo get a lot of flak even back then for bad vehicle controls? I thought they were fine. v:geno:v

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Didn't Halo get a lot of flak even back then for bad vehicle controls? I thought they were fine. v:geno:v

Halo has incredibly floaty and unrealistic handling on the vehicles, and in the first game getting tagged by a moving vehicle was instadeath (even if it was a jeep you had just jumped out of that was moving at all of five mph) so it invited bitching. But the whole concept of vehicles was way more integrated into the game and the maps were designed to have fun ways to use different vehicles. HL2's vehicles are a gimmick by comparison.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It also had slightly nonstandard controls where the vehicles autopiloted in the direction you were looking rather than giving you direct access to the steering, it took a bit of getting used to but it worked better than any of the imitators.

And it took a while for them to dial in the balance so they weren't incredibly overpowered in MP, which represented a lot of the bitching.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Well multiplayer wise, the balance was a shitshow, they were basically invincible death juggernauts. Then in Halo 2 the balance tipped the other way thanks to the SPNKR's lock on and they became death traps instead. They were never intended to be balanced though, they were more designed with the single player in mind and I never found their implementation in multiplayer to be terrifically interesting, as fun as it could be to zip around Sidewinder in a full hog wrecking poo poo.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My favorite thing about Halo's vehicles was doing completely unintended things with them.

Example: flipping a Scorpion tank over and driving another Scorp onto its tracks. When you flip the bottom tank the top one goes flying accross the map. There was also that map in Halo 2 with the massive hundred foot fan blade. Jamming a Warthog into that thing made the worst loving sound.

My friends once co-op played through the trilogy back in college. Whenever a map had a Warthog in it they would ride it to the end of the map. I mean the very end, like long after you were supposed to disembark to walk into a building full of small narrow corridors. I could be misremembering this but near the end of Halo 2 there's a building with a slope/staircase that spiraled down a huge rectangular blue shaft. At the bottom there's a small doorway they couldn't fit the jeep through. Rather than get out and walk through they backtracked all the way outside to get another hog so they can ram it at full speed through the door. It loving worked.

Halo's vehicles kick rear end.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Quake Wars was super fun but sadly came out just a week before The Orange Box, and thus TF2, was released. It really didn't have a chance and if had come out a year later or months earlier it would've lasted a lot longer

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Quake Wars was super fun but sadly came out just a week before The Orange Box, and thus TF2, was released. It really didn't have a chance and if had come out a year later or months earlier it would've lasted a lot longer
Probably would've also helped if it wasn't rear end.

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

skasion posted:

Corridor 7 maybe? It's a boring rear end wolfenclone

http://youtu.be/3ICP-4c23CA

drat, I remember beating that game back in the day...wasn't a very good game at all...but I actually did beat the thing (then went back to playing through DOOM and DOOM2 over and over and over again).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I gave quake wars a run earlier this summer when i found the DVD in a box and tbh i didn't really find it that fun to play. Also I dunno what players on the servers are like but if you're gonna try the bots you essentially have to play as an engineer and it doesn't have great weapons.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm sad that the would-be successor to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, one of the funnest multiplayer experiences I ever had, turned out to be so weak. I'm glad I didn't buy Quake Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

laserghost posted:

BTW, you can add Prey permanently to your Steam library if you have an original copy.

I wish it had controller support.