Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TheFallenEvincar posted:

"Elementary my dear Watson, the culprit was the same loving dude that assaulted and raped her X years ago!" :monocle:

Edit: lmao are we sure they didn't accidentally lobotomize every member of the cast?

To be fair I might've found that badass at 15

Wait hahaha you can just take Hawkman down by cutting his dumb backpack strap things?? I thought the poor bastard just had wings. Hahahah sorry Dario and all Hawkfans but that's the saddest thing I've ever seen. "oh no you cut my jansport!!!"

This is so dumb, also it's not like a hypothetical C5 would be better than current plastic explosive, which the military uses because it's super stable for an explosive, not for any other particular reason. If you wanted a bigger boom there are much better options than something from the Composition C family. :science:

Not to mention the whole stabbing the Flash thing, which is just plain impossible. A better option would have been sharp metal wires in the area to use his own speed against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Chris Sims wrote about Deathstroke a few years back, DC "keeps trying to make fetch happen."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Deathstroke is not cool, has never been cool, and every time he shows up in something I kinda groan because I know it's going to try to make him look cool.

His appearance in American Alien was a welcome exception to this rule.

e: to be fair, he probably was cool at one point, way back, when he was primarily a villain for the Teen Titans. Since then, though...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dario the Wop posted:

Seriously though, none of the Leaguers were taken down how they would be in a well-written fight. Hawkman's got centuries of fighting experience, plus enhanced strength and healing. But this is a scene where the Flash runs into a sword and a Green Lantern gets his fist broken IIRC.

Yeah, that was the weirdest bit. First, Kyle Rayner has the most powerful ranged weapon in the entire universe, and he decides to go hand-to-hand with Slade, who's meant to be this Batman-level martial artist. Second, Slade breaks all the bones in his hand. But then it gets strange, because I'm pretty sure Slade decides he's going to use the ring against Kyle or something like that. It's really hard to tell from how it's written. You've got a sword and a machine gun, dude.

Also, he beats Black Canary by putting a bag over her head.

Android Blues posted:

Deathstroke is not cool, has never been cool, and every time he shows up in something I kinda groan because I know it's going to try to make him look cool.

e: to be fair, he probably was cool at one point, way back, when he was primarily a villain for the Teen Titans. Since then, though...

He was cool when his voice was Ron Perlman. :swoon:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The voice of Ron Perlman can make almost any lovely character cool.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kwyndig posted:

Not to mention the whole stabbing the Flash thing, which is just plain impossible. A better option would have been sharp metal wires in the area to use his own speed against him.

I said this the last time that panel got posted, but I feel like it still bears repeating; this plan requires Flash be fast enough to see and avoid the explosions, but not the sword.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Unless they threw in a ton of technobabble about it being a noise canceling bag, that might piss me off more than the "stabbing Flash" thing in terms of completely ignoring a character's abilities to make your character seem awesome.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Deathstroke was fine in New Teen Titans, where he was clearly competent, but he wasn't some godly fighter that nobody could touch.

I think Priest's run on Deathstroke is starting off strong with that Rebirth issue, and I look forward to more. But basically any other time that's not the animated series, he's just felt like a guy who should be way out of his depth, but is still a "badass" because the writers said so.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, that was the weirdest bit. First, Kyle Rayner has the most powerful ranged weapon in the entire universe, and he decides to go hand-to-hand with Slade, who's meant to be this Batman-level martial artist. Second, Slade breaks all the bones in his hand. But then it gets strange, because I'm pretty sure Slade decides he's going to use the ring against Kyle or something like that. It's really hard to tell from how it's written. You've got a sword and a machine gun, dude.

Meltzer seems to have thought that Kyle was still the same inexperienced dork he was when he first got the ring ... even though, at that point, he'd been a Green Lantern for a decade (real time).

and yeah, Deathstroke was okay as a Titans villain, because Wolfman wrote him as an actual intelligent opponent who picked his chances to attack, instead of just having him beat up the whole team at the same time.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Please, please tell me this makes her fall asleep. :v:

"Oh my gosh it's nighttime!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Unless they threw in a ton of technobabble about it being a noise canceling bag, that might piss me off more than the "stabbing Flash" thing in terms of completely ignoring a character's abilities to make your character seem awesome.

Nope, he just sticks a bag over her head, slaps a pair of handcuffs on her, and that's her out of the fight.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think it's hilarious that Deadpool started as a Deathstroke (one of the lamest DC characters ever) clone, but they leaned into how dumb of a concept Deathstroke is Marvel-side and so turned Deadpool into a goofy idiot (and then he became one of the most popular Marvel characters ever), while DC side they've doubled down on Deathstroke's ~SUPER EXTREME HARDCORE BADASS~-ness for literal decades, to absolutely zero dividends.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, it's funny. Arrow just immediately runs for her like she's a baby with her head in a plastic bag and of course the "master tactician" takes advantage of that opening
I love that you guys didn't even mention that he takes out The Atom with a laser pointer :lol: somehow? I'm not sure how he manages to pinpoint hit him with the loving thing while he's microscopic

Luckily Arrow stabs him point blank in the eye(patch) with an arrow and they remember that the Justice league trained them in fighting techniques like "let's all rush him at once and grab a body part"

Next time do that first guys

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 21, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"The League teaches you how to fight."

*the justice league literally dogpiles a dude*

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What the gently caress is going on with Black Canary's legs?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Getting mixed up with Zatanna's legs, looks like. Probably shouldn't have had the two chicks wearing fishnets be like right next to each other :v:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Getting mixed up with Zatanna's legs, looks like. Probably shouldn't have had the two chicks wearing fishnets be like right next to each other :v:

Granted, but also Black Canary's hips look all sorts of wrong.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Travis343 posted:

One of which is Doctor Light of all people, and the other is a guy on Batman's level.

Man, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman really carry the team.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, it's funny. Arrow just immediately runs for her like she's a baby with her head in a plastic bag and of course the "master tactician" takes advantage of that opening
I love that you guys didn't even mention that he takes out The Atom with a laser pointer :lol: somehow? I'm not sure how he manages to pinpoint hit him with the loving thing while he's microscopic

The narration says it's because Deathstroke has really good eyesight. He doesn't have microscopic vision or anything, keep in mind, he just has really good eyesight.

Travis343 posted:

I used to have the hardcover of Identity Crisis and I actually remember Meltzer's explanation for this scene in his notes in the back; basically, the idea was that Slade beats the team by turning their powers against them or something like that, but when they turn the tables it's because none of them were using their powers. He seemed quite proud of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When I remember things, I also remember them in third person.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You.
Took.
My.
Mind!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Someone remind me how he took out Zatanna? Because she should have been able to end that whole sorry excuse for a fight in like, two seconds.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Luckily Arrow stabs him point blank in the eye(patch) with an arrow and they remember that the Justice league trained them in fighting techniques like "let's all rush him at once and grab a body part"

Next time do that first guys

Oh no! The master tactician did not plan for the loving strategy that the Justice League apparently always falls back on when Superman and Wonder Woman aren't there to throw goddamned cars at the human strength bad guy.

Even Batman is dogpiling Light in that flashback.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dexie posted:

Someone remind me how he took out Zatanna? Because she should have been able to end that whole sorry excuse for a fight in like, two seconds.
Hard punch to the liver at the very beginning of the fight, which makes her want to puke so she can't talk, and I assume that lasts until she joins in on the team dogpile

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What're you guys talking about? The JLA Dogpile is a tried-and-true battle strategy!

"Zatanna, you take point! Starman, you wait over there and don't do anything! Everyone else, form a single-file line and attack!"

(I don't know the source)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Hard punch to the liver at the very beginning of the fight, which makes her want to puke so she can't talk, and I assume that lasts until she joins in on the team dogpile

I knew I shouldn't have asked.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Pretty sure that's Cry for Justice, which shares an equal position with Identity Crisis in my mind.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

John Dyne posted:

Oh no! The master tactician did not plan for the loving strategy that the Justice League apparently always falls back on when Superman and Wonder Woman aren't there to throw goddamned cars at the human strength bad guy.

Even Batman is dogpiling Light in that flashback.
You know what's funny/weird about Light getting triggered? I swear he adds Batman in for some reason.

??!!
I guess lobotomies do that though. Maybe it's uhh a plot point
I like how they always grab the same body part though. They really did train in the Dogpile Technique

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay just for the sake of the followup panels for that comic, where would Batman get Stephen Hawking's fighting skills from?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Evil Mastermind posted:

What're you guys talking about? The JLA Dogpile is a tried-and-true battle strategy!

"Zatanna, you take point! Starman, you wait over there and don't do anything! Everyone else, form a single-file line and attack!"

This is even worse to me because Roy nearly beat this idiot by himself.

Edit - I'm pretty sure that's Cry For Justice. Rise of Arsenal is where Roy nearly defeating Prometheus is from.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Roth posted:

This is even worse to me because Roy nearly beat this idiot by himself.

The best part is, when they capture him, they take off his helmet (which gives him his abilties) so he won't be a threat anymore.

Then on the next page, when he's tied up and sitting there, THEY GAVE HIM THE HELMET BACK FOR SOME REASON.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I tried to read what he was doing to Plastic Man but I'm pretty sure those aren't real words.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Android Blues posted:

He also was good in the second season of Arrow, what helped was that he was just fighting Green Arrow who was just a normal guy and it took place before metahuman existed as a result it actually felt like he was against a credible threat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dario the Wop posted:

Also, there's like three other Hawkfans. :(

I refuse to believe there are 3 Hawkfans.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hawkworld is pretty good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skwirl posted:

I think the idea is she can't breathe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Discendo Vox posted:

I think the idea is she can't breathe.

I guess I missed the issue with her funeral too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Android Blues posted:

He appears in the Arkham Origins Batman game as a guy they think can go toe-to-toe with Batman and win - you get to beat the poo poo out of him and leave him going :aaa: as you block every move he makes and take his poo poo. Later in the game you break into the prison and pass by him in his cell, and he goes,"If you think I'm going to escape, don't worry about me :smug:" and Batman just replies,"I wasn't." :laugh:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

The narration says it's because Deathstroke has really good eyesight. He doesn't have microscopic vision or anything, keep in mind, he just has really good eyesight.

In his one eye?!

I don't know much about Deathstroke, so maybe his remaining eye got super good but lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

He appears in the Arkham Origins Batman game as a guy they think can go toe-to-toe with Batman and win - you get to beat the poo poo out of him and leave him going :aaa: as you block every move he makes and take his poo poo. Later in the game you break into the prison and pass by him in his cell, and he goes,"If you think I'm going to escape, don't worry about me :smug:" and Batman just replies,"I wasn't." :laugh:

That boss fight was super lame too. Arkham's combat really was not built for one on one fights at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Roth posted:

That boss fight was super lame too. Arkham's combat really was not built for one on one fights at all.

I actually really enjoyed it but I think it's because it's so outside of how things usually go in the game where you're fighting a dozen dudes at once or stalking them and picking them of one-by-one to the point they start making GBS threads their pants in terror. Boss-fights were never those games' strong-point.