Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I'd rather they sit on the trilogy for a bit, and do Aldo vs Holloway for the FW belt and Alvarez vs Conor for the LW belt. Nate can just wait and fight the loser of Eddie vs Conor (most likely Conor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

maffew buildings posted:

really impressed conor answered the cardio question by showing he could go five rounds and run a 5k during the fight to boot

300k well spent. I mean this very sincerely.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

really impressed conor answered the cardio question by showing he could go five rounds and run a 5k during the fight to boot

lol

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

Im surprised that conor wasnt deducted a few points for timidity

No you aren't

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

kensei posted:

Oh goddamit I do not want the trilogy!

I know, that fight sucked!

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dangersim posted:

Are you surprised, motherfuckers?

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Embarrassing bro

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

if they dont do the 3rd fight next its never going to happen

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Bubba Smith posted:

I'd rather they sit on the trilogy for a bit, and do Aldo vs Holloway for the FW belt and Alvarez vs Conor for the LW belt. Nate can just wait and fight the loser of Eddie vs Conor (most likely Conor).

This.

Conor proved he can hang against bigger dudes at 170, but I'm still sure elite Welterweights like Condit, Lawler, and Wonderboy would murder him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Great PPV. Two contenders for KOotY and one for FotY is pretty good value for money.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Google Butt posted:

Didn't BJ and Hughes have a trilogy fight later on?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
You guys were all fine with gus doing the same thing against dc iirc

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Dangersim posted:

You guys were all fine with gus doing the same thing against dc iirc

He lost that fight

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Google Butt posted:

which I would be fine with because while this fight was close (I scored it 3-2 for McGregor) I think a 3rd fight would be lopsided for Conor. Conor fought the right kind of fight to beat Diaz and now that he knows it works he could just keep dialing it in.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Nice fight.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Conor is never making 145 again. He's going to try for the 155 belt and if he gets it he'll hold onto the 145 belt just long enough for the photo op

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

One part of me enjoys the awesome fight for what it is, but the other part of me is frustrated because it needs to know which punchman is better at punchmanning.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I don't want to see the trilogy if it holds up the belt. If he vacates, I don't really care if they want to stroke those two's egos.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

UnfurledSails posted:

One part of me enjoys the awesome fight for what it is, but the other part of me is frustrated because it needs to know which punchman is better at punchmanning.

Theyre called fighters

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I enjoyed that fight until Conor gassed and nate was blind in one eye and it turned into a cripple fight. I still don't buy McGregor as a "great fighter". He has good hands and knocks out little dudes. I wanna see him fight at 155.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Bubba Smith posted:

which I would be fine with because while this fight was close (I scored it 3-2 for McGregor) I think a 3rd fight would be lopsided for Conor. Conor fought the right kind of fight to beat Diaz and now that he knows it works he could just keep dialing it in.

Yup. Both Diazes are the same combination of extreme strengths and weaknesses, and anyone who can learn to abuse their weaknesses should beat them consistently. I think in a rematch Conor wouldn't be so cavalier about Nate's reaching shots to the body, abuse his terrible mobility even better, and focus even more on cutting him up to win a dominant decision.

It's not like Nate is going to become a different fighter after 10 years of being focused entirely on his one style.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Fun night! Poor Glover got Rumbled. Nate Diaz is too real for this sport.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I enjoyed that fight until Conor gassed and nate was blind in one eye and it turned into a cripple fight. I still don't buy McGregor as a "great fighter". He has good hands and knocks out little dudes. I wanna see him fight at 155.

He is a great fighter who put an awful lot on the line to prove he could win a rematch of a fight he definitively lost in a way few people thought he could (on points)

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
FOTY thus far. It's so awesome when these heavily built up fights end up delivering. I think I had 1 for Conor, 2-3 for Nate, 4 for Conor and 5 for Nate, but I was pretty heavily Nate biased and could easily see 2 going either way/draw. Sadly I agree that now Conor has solved the Diaz problem it might be a less compelling rematch, but maybe Nate won't get blinded/train with injuries/whatever he said earlier. Conor will still have gas problems too...

I think Nate also said "until then [the third fight], I'm out"? Nate and Conor have got the UFC dancing in the palms of their hands, it rules

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I still don't buy McGregor as a "great fighter".

this is a bad opinion. He's 8-1 in UFC and holds a championship.

Other guys who are 8-1 if not worse in UFC and hold a championship: Daniel Cormier, Stipe Miocic, Eddie Alvarez, probably every champ other than Joanna now that I think about it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

He is a great fighter who put an awful lot on the line to prove he could win a rematch of a fight he definitively lost in a way few people thought he could (on points)

I won't completely dismiss what he did at 145 because Aldo was an impressive win but I just don't see him dominating at 155. He found the formula to beating Nate and still barely squeezed it out. Hell it was a draw on my card after that 10-8 third

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, I guessed the best way for him to win was kicks, and go for points. But I figured he was too much of a showman, guess he needed to get his win back enough to rejig his style a bit.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Bubba Smith posted:

Other guys who are 8-1 if not worse in UFC and hold a championship: Daniel Cormier, Stipe Miocic, Eddie Alvarez, probably every champ other than Joanna now that I think about it.

All of those guys are bad though.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
WME signs the final paperwork and dana's face melts into a laughing skull as the contract's words dissolve and reform to say UFC CHAMPION EDDIE ALVAREZ

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Work Friend Keven posted:

WME signs the final paperwork and dana's face melts into a laughing skull as the contract's words dissolve and reform to say UFC CHAMPION EDDIE ALVAREZ

Hahahahahahahahaha

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

I like belts as much as the next guy, but Woodley is a champion and even though I like him he is also not a great fighter

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

kensei posted:

I don't want to see the trilogy if it holds up the belt. If he vacates, I don't really care if they want to stroke those two's egos.

I agree with that. FW has too many exciting fights to be held up.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Fluffdaddy posted:

I like belts as much as the next guy, but Woodley is a champion and even though I like him he is also not a great fighter

Go on...

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Conor is clearly really good, as for "great" itll depend what he does next, because if he goes down in weight or whatever and keeps looking good it will be really easy to write off his only loss as avenged and 2 weight classes up on short notice. But if he looks bad at all tons of people want to write him off as a one trick pony who got lucky against Aldo

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

manyak posted:

Conor is clearly really good, as for "great" itll depend what he does next, because if he goes down in weight or whatever and keeps looking good it will be really easy to write off his only loss as avenged and 2 weight classes up on short notice. But if he looks bad at all tons of people want to write him off as a one trick pony who got lucky against Aldo

It's going to be like this his entire career

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Nah if he wins at 155 the Diaz loss will just be a blip

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

No i'm just saying he can never lose another fight and people will still have reasons it doesn't count.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yeah anyone who wins belts in two divisions is always going to be one of the greats. Kudos on Conor for changing enough that he could grind out a win. And I saw Artem won as well, was it basically in the same manner?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Artem won b/c he was fighting the bag boy from a Stockton Walgreens

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

If he loses to any 155 guy ranked he deserves the scrutiny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Memento posted:

Yeah anyone who wins belts in two divisions is always going to be one of the greats. Kudos on Conor for changing enough that he could grind out a win. And I saw Artem won as well, was it basically in the same manner?

From what I saw during that fight he crippled the other guy's leg and then worked strikes. It went the distance but I didn't really think the kid he was up against was dangerous.

• Locked thread