Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pixaal posted:

He's in a job dry area, which sucks, but he has a family there.

Don't gently caress up your livelihood because goons in a job rich area tell you what to do. I mean if you gently caress it up you will end up in not IT or having to move and leave your family which is not cool.

It didn't sound like he was going to take the "Be abrasive against your best interests" advice.

Standing up for yourself is definitely something to do, but Larches knows his boss, the area he lives in, and the situation he's in, if he says that doing X will put his life and family in jeopardy that's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I feel that demanding an IT director drop everything because a minor ticket came in is unreasonable BUT it could be mitigated by saying "you know we just fired our only IT guy do I will do it this time but please understand I left the help desk a long time ago"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pixaal posted:

One time they also threw everything in the fridge out the window becuase giant rats the size of cars wanted it and they were going to chew into the room if any food was left inside.

That is a pretty good reason. I wouldn't gently caress with rats the size of cars either.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I've been away from the thread studying (and passing!) my CCENT and also being in and out of lucidity/conscious from painkillers and scotch after shattering my finger playing soccer but I have to say I'm very proud my post got to be the thread title :allears:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

iajanus posted:

I've been away from the thread studying (and passing!) my CCENT and also being in and out of lucidity/conscious from painkillers and scotch after shattering my finger playing soccer but I have to say I'm very proud my post got to be the thread title :allears:

Congrats!

I have a little over a month before my CCNA training class starts.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

pr0digal posted:

Congrats!

I have a little over a month before my CCNA training class starts.

Thanks! Now i get to power self study to get icnd2 before it changes :D. Hopefully I can stop needing the drugs soon because at the moment the idea of reading anything complicated is basically impossible. I'll just go do some more aimless flying around in NMS, it's very relaxing.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I appreciate the concern and advice, but my standing up for myself or attempting to appeal to my boss's sensibilities just isn't going to work. This man is universally despised by every single employee at the school for his temper, his paper thin skin, and his complete inability to empathize or see the big picture. He was supposed to be leaving over the summer, but didn't, and some very talented faculty that have been here for decades have quit over him.

Here's an example that was told to me just today about my predecessor, who we'll call Patrick. Similar to my situation, Patrick had a tendency to leave campus to get lunch, which is understandable because sometimes you just need to get away from the place for a little bit. One day he went to lunch and got a call from the director. Director asked him why he wasn't in his office, and Patrick told him he went to lunch. Director basically told him he needed to be in his office at all times and ready to assist with anything that comes up. Patrick then asked him "Are you saying that I'm not allowed to take a lunch break?" Director responds that that is exactly what he is saying. He was apparently serious about this and for the next week would do routine checks to make sure he was in his office at all times. So Patrick filed a complaint with OSHA, who came in and investigated and found his treatment unlawful.

Sounds to me like he's slipping back into that mindset. I've heard story after story of director and Patrick locking horns over this sort of treatment but nothing ever changes. Now, granted Patrick was a shithead alcoholic who apparently phoned in his entire job his last two years, there's a reason Patrick worked here for nearly a decade and then abruptly quit only a year and a half after director started. The difference is, Patrick has no family or ties here and hosed off to NYC. I don't have that luxury. Like I said, if it's not within a half hour drive of here, I can't do it.

So, I bide my time. I deal with it the best I can and use this thread to blow off steam. I appreciate the advice and I appreciate the concern but getting your feathers all ruffled that I'm not standing up for myself isn't going to change anything. If I honestly felt that my confronting the man would change anything, I absolutely would have done it by now, and I have for some other concerns that I haven't mentioned here before. But this particular situation isn't worth the potential backlash.

I can tell you exactly how the conversation will go. I'll explain that I need a particular amount of time to eat lunch and that I will only address issues with tickets associated with them or appointments signed off on, and he will dramatically put his head in his hands and say, "Larches, let me tell you about how this works. Your department is in the business of customer service. Your only focus is to make sure the customer is happy, no matter what that takes. This entire organization relies on you to make everything function smoothly and if a teacher or student is unable to do their work over a technology issue; you have to be there to fix the problem as soon as possible. Not after lunch, not after you get back to your office. You have to fix it now and you need to be available at any time of the day to address their concerns." And then he'll stand up and tell me we won't be having this conversation again, and just like that I am forever forbidden to leave campus for lunch again, which is totally in his power to do.

It's just not worth it.

But don't think I'm not constantly looking for something bigger and better to move on to. Same deal as with CE, if I was sure I had something lined up, I'd tell the guy where to stick it and start bopping him upside the head with my backbone, but I don't so I'll just meekly cow and be glad I've got a job to support my kids.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Since you work for a school, then there is presumably a union. Join if you haven't already and make them ensure you get the appropriate meal breaks and other basic conditions.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

"This entire organization relies on you to make everything function smoothly"

Sounds like you've got some bargaining power.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Methanar posted:

Sounds like you've got some bargaining power.

Way to completely ignore the point Larch was making :thumbsup:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If he's universally disliked, I'm sure you can work with the chemistry or biology faculty to give the guy a lot of sick leave. :unsmigghh:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

larchesdanrew posted:

I appreciate the concern and advice, but my standing up for myself or attempting to appeal to my boss's sensibilities just isn't going to work. This man is universally despised by every single employee at the school for his temper, his paper thin skin, and his complete inability to empathize or see the big picture. He was supposed to be leaving over the summer, but didn't, and some very talented faculty that have been here for decades have quit over him.

Here's an example that was told to me just today about my predecessor, who we'll call Patrick. Similar to my situation, Patrick had a tendency to leave campus to get lunch, which is understandable because sometimes you just need to get away from the place for a little bit. One day he went to lunch and got a call from the director. Director asked him why he wasn't in his office, and Patrick told him he went to lunch. Director basically told him he needed to be in his office at all times and ready to assist with anything that comes up. Patrick then asked him "Are you saying that I'm not allowed to take a lunch break?" Director responds that that is exactly what he is saying. He was apparently serious about this and for the next week would do routine checks to make sure he was in his office at all times. So Patrick filed a complaint with OSHA, who came in and investigated and found his treatment unlawful.

Sounds to me like he's slipping back into that mindset. I've heard story after story of director and Patrick locking horns over this sort of treatment but nothing ever changes. Now, granted Patrick was a shithead alcoholic who apparently phoned in his entire job his last two years, there's a reason Patrick worked here for nearly a decade and then abruptly quit only a year and a half after director started. The difference is, Patrick has no family or ties here and hosed off to NYC. I don't have that luxury. Like I said, if it's not within a half hour drive of here, I can't do it.

So, I bide my time. I deal with it the best I can and use this thread to blow off steam. I appreciate the advice and I appreciate the concern but getting your feathers all ruffled that I'm not standing up for myself isn't going to change anything. If I honestly felt that my confronting the man would change anything, I absolutely would have done it by now, and I have for some other concerns that I haven't mentioned here before. But this particular situation isn't worth the potential backlash.

I can tell you exactly how the conversation will go. I'll explain that I need a particular amount of time to eat lunch and that I will only address issues with tickets associated with them or appointments signed off on, and he will dramatically put his head in his hands and say, "Larches, let me tell you about how this works. Your department is in the business of customer service. Your only focus is to make sure the customer is happy, no matter what that takes. This entire organization relies on you to make everything function smoothly and if a teacher or student is unable to do their work over a technology issue; you have to be there to fix the problem as soon as possible. Not after lunch, not after you get back to your office. You have to fix it now and you need to be available at any time of the day to address their concerns." And then he'll stand up and tell me we won't be having this conversation again, and just like that I am forever forbidden to leave campus for lunch again, which is totally in his power to do.

It's just not worth it.

But don't think I'm not constantly looking for something bigger and better to move on to. Same deal as with CE, if I was sure I had something lined up, I'd tell the guy where to stick it and start bopping him upside the head with my backbone, but I don't so I'll just meekly cow and be glad I've got a job to support my kids.

Dude, if you've got a problem with every single supervisor and employee you work with to the point that you're giving up and leaving, maybe you need to take a good long look in the mirror and see if the problem isn't staring back at you.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Chickenwalker posted:

Dude, if you've got a problem with every single supervisor and employee you work with to the point that you're giving up and leaving, maybe you need to take a good long look in the mirror and see if the problem isn't staring back at you.

Normally I'd agree with you but I'm having trouble justifying the whole lunch thing.

Better be an outage if you're expecting me to give up lunch.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Larches' boss sucks, he is stuck in an impossibly lovely position, can we move on to complaining about Java / printers / Sharepoint?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The one positive thing I can say about SharePoint is that there is no 'SharePoint for Business' brand fuckery that makes Onedrive and Skype such loving nightmares to discuss with staff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm sure Microsoft will fix that soon

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If MS split every single product into a plain and "For Business" line they would make so much more money. "Word... For Business!" "Windows Server 2012... For Business!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Xbox One for Business

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanks Ants posted:

Xbox One for Business

I think that's called a Dev Kit

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Thanks Ants posted:

Xbox One for Business

Team Building

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dick Trauma posted:

If MS split every single product into a plain and "For Business" line they would make so much more money. "Word... For Business!" "Windows Server 2012... For Business!"

I think they do that already.

....oh, its not that simple:

Office Home
Office Personal
Office University
Office Home and Student
Office Business
Office Business Premium
Office Home and Business
Office Professional

Bloody hell. Mind you, at least a Word doc created in 'Business' can be opened in 'Home' - so unlike Skype/Onedrive.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Normally I'd agree with you but I'm having trouble justifying the whole lunch thing.

Better be an outage if you're expecting me to give up lunch.

Yeah, if the SQL Server isn't somehow given sentience and trying to kill end users I'm probably not answering phones during lunch, much less cutting it short. Maybe I'll check my voicemail.

Having said that, my bosses are way less prickish than larches' boss. Is food from the cafeteria an option during the school year larches? I know that's not great, but it's better than bringing a sandwich yourself probably.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dick Trauma posted:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mo_Steel posted:

Yeah, if the SQL Server isn't somehow given sentience and trying to kill end users I'm probably not answering phones during lunch, much less cutting it short. Maybe I'll check my voicemail.

Having said that, my bosses are way less prickish than larches' boss. Is food from the cafeteria an option during the school year larches? I know that's not great, but it's better than bringing a sandwich yourself probably.

If the SQL Server gained sentience and started killing end users, I'm not going to try and stop it.

I'm going to encourage it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If a database server could gain sentience it would be the one time you were glad you were running Oracle, since weapons would definitely be a licensed addon feature.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
DROP TABLE "tblHumansToDestroy";

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

It's just not worth it.

Sounds like your predecessor didn't get fired for reporting this rear end in a top hat to OSHA, so you should as well. Also forbidding travel during lunch is against the law and he can go gently caress himself with that as well.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

I appreciate the concern

But it's none of ours? :mrgw:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

iajanus posted:

Thanks! Now i get to power self study to get icnd2 before it changes :D. Hopefully I can stop needing the drugs soon because at the moment the idea of reading anything complicated is basically impossible. I'll just go do some more aimless flying around in NMS, it's very relaxing.

High five, CCNA cramming buddy. I passed my icnd1 a month ago or so, but work has been so crazy since that I really haven't had much time to study for the next one. Things should ease up after this week though, so I've still got a shot.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Thanks Ants posted:

If a database server could gain sentience it would be the one time you were glad you were running Oracle, since weapons would definitely be a licensed addon feature.

:drat:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

stubblyhead posted:

High five, CCNA cramming buddy. I passed my icnd1 a month ago or so, but work has been so crazy since that I really haven't had much time to study for the next one. Things should ease up after this week though, so I've still got a shot.

hi5 CCNA cramming buddies

My excuse for the last minute cramming is that I'm lazy and burnt myself going too hard on ICND1.

My test is on Saturday and I'm not even done with the content, hooray!

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Renegret posted:

If the SQL Server gained sentience and started killing end users, I'm not going to try and stop it.

I'm going to encourage it.

Renegret's Yearly Review: Is not expert at SQL Server as advertised when hired. Recommend no pay raise with cancelled cost of living adjustment.

Renegret's Boss' Yearly Review: Unorthodox cost reduction measures exceedingly effective. Pay raise of 50% recommended with 75% bonus.

:devil:

Thanks Ants posted:

You made me snort my tea. But I admit I giggled too much at this. :v:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Renegret posted:

hi5 CCNA cramming buddies

My excuse for the last minute cramming is that I'm lazy and burnt myself going too hard on ICND1.

My test is on Saturday and I'm not even done with the content, hooray!

The last minute cramming is always the most important - I could count at least 5 questions on my test that related directly to things I'd reread a few minutes earlier and scribbled on my whiteboard the second I sat down, and without having done so I would have struggled with.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

30 minutes of unpaid break time are not optional - they are a federally mandated requirement that all employers must, by law, allow. Even in bumfuck Mississippi. As such the employer has no legal ground upon which to stand to deny an employee the opportunity to take a lunch break off-campus. If it's so critical that someone must be available at any time to assist a student, then the company needs to step up and hire additional personnel. The bus analogy works here - if you get hit by a bus and are laying in the hospital, what the gently caress are they going to do about it? Demand you leave the ICU to fix a students' password?

I understand that you feel like you have no power in this situation Larches, but trust me when I say that this is one instance in which you are in the right to demand the school (and the director) respect your rights, and that you have the full backing of the federal government and the Department of Labor and the state OSHA office. And if they terminate you for this, enjoy the massive payday that will be coming your way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If they fire him over that, they won't spell it out. They'll say it was something else. He won't get jack poo poo.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
"Not a team player. Did not meet expectations." and then he's flipping burgers to support his kids.

Yes he'd be 110% in the right to drop the weight of various government agencies on them over this but it's ultimately not worth it man, just drop it and post some poo poo like this:

I just spent my Sunday driving two hours each way to replace a hard drive in a machine. Get Windows reinstalled, add our remote support software so I can finish this mess at home, confirm machine is available in support dashboard, drive back home, sit down.. machine has dropped off the support dashboard :suicide:

Turns out I'm just an idiot and the new support session was clobbered by the old one since we identify them by serialnumbers. Ended the old session and all is well in the world.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 22, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

30 minutes of unpaid break time are not optional - they are a federally mandated requirement that all employers must, by law, allow. Even in bumfuck Mississippi. As such the employer has no legal ground upon which to stand to deny an employee the opportunity to take a lunch break off-campus. If it's so critical that someone must be available at any time to assist a student, then the company needs to step up and hire additional personnel. The bus analogy works here - if you get hit by a bus and are laying in the hospital, what the gently caress are they going to do about it? Demand you leave the ICU to fix a students' password?

I understand that you feel like you have no power in this situation Larches, but trust me when I say that this is one instance in which you are in the right to demand the school (and the director) respect your rights, and that you have the full backing of the federal government and the Department of Labor and the state OSHA office. And if they terminate you for this, enjoy the massive payday that will be coming your way.

They actually don't have to let you leave the building. They do have to allow you a break, this can be at a designated break room. It's normal for elementary school teachers to not be allowed to leave during school during lunch. What if a kid in their class is out of control. Little kids do strange things and sometimes only listen to their teacher.

To reset a password, no your lunch shouldn't be interrupted but sometimes in IT things break and if you are going solo you need to be flexable enough to get everyone back online. In HIghschool students have all of 45 minutes or whatever in a class 30 minutes of downtime puts the teacher a day behind in learning which can make hurt them come reviews. There is a reason that teachers freak out at the smallest thing broken. Sure they should have a backup play that doesn't involve technology but more and more federal and state legislature mandates so many hours make use of technology.

Often there isn't enough work that they even need a dedicated guy at a smaller school, and coverage wise so you can take a break you really need 2 people. It's a huge mess honestly complicated by the fact that most districts want computer on a 7 year replacement plan, so by the end of the cycle stuff is breaking left and right.

Yes you should be able to go out and get food, but saying you have 15 minutes to grab it of your 30 eat in the building isn't the end of the world as long as 99% of the time you are able to actually sit down and eat without interruption and it's once or twice a year you need to get up and fix a major issue (and than get the rest of your lunch).

Public school can't be treated like a company, a company has wants, a school has legal obligations for technology and can be shutdown if they aren't met. It's an overreaction on Larch's boss but it can be stressful we don't know the full story. It's possible the district is in trouble with technology laws already.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

pixaal posted:

Public school can't be treated like a company, a company has wants, a school has legal obligations for technology and can be shutdown if they aren't met. It's an overreaction on Larch's boss but it can be stressful we don't know the full story. It's possible the district is in trouble with technology laws already.

They also have legal obligations to their employees. Such as allowing for meal breaks for instance.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Varkk posted:

They also have legal obligations to their employees. Such as allowing for meal breaks for instance.

On one hand they are not wrong that the legal obligations are different in a public school, but on the other i know that it's not uncommon for churches to lose lawsuits over labor violations, and they think they are untouchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Life is a series of compromises we make to continue living.

• Locked thread