Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Space Fish posted:

Among larger conventions though, I always have a good time at C2E2 and HeroesCon. They'll attract some celebrities for the casual crowd, but also plenty of talent for panels and signings. Nothing that overpowers the show itself. Something for everyone, and without drowning in a mob like at the big Comic-Cons or DragonCon.

HeroesCon is pretty drat awesome. I've gone for the last four years, and it's been super fun every time.

Last year I got attacked by Matt Chapman and the Homestar Runner puppet. It was great. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Frankly I do not go to cons or comic book shops. Both are full of undesirable people (workers and customers).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Frankly I do not go to cons or comic book shops. Both are full of undesirable people (workers and customers).

:mad:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Holds up for the most part, I'd drop The Cosby Show a couple spots just because of what we know now.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 21, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Seriously gently caress McLean Stevenson!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wow. Hudson Hawk and the metric system? gently caress you buddy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

Libraries across America have been putting on miniature "cons" the past few years, with admins at other libraries all leaning over their younger staff and asking, "So how about those conventions, huh? What if our library had one?" The result is usually a day-long mixture of cosplay contest, artist/vendor alley, some local talent, a woefully misplaced local author or two ("Why don't these pop culture nerds want to read my book? Historical fiction is its own form of cosplay!"), a make-your-own-comics lesson for the kiddies, and if they're lucky, a big name that draws an attentive crowd.

Oh my god a local library in my city did one of these, I didn't even know it happened until I saw it on the news that night. Judging by the report all they had was some artists I've never ever heard of and some of the saddest Batmen I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever felt a stronger sense of second-hand embarrassment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Oh my god a local library in my city did one of these, I didn't even know it happened until I saw it on the news that night. Judging by the report all they had was some artists I've never ever heard of and some of the saddest Batmen I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever felt a stronger sense of second-hand embarrassment.

Our local library wanted to do FCBD two years ago so they worked out a deal with us to get books. Then half the poo poo they ordered ended up not being all ages appropriate despite my warnings so they left us holding our dick on 1000 books. So this year they asked to do it again and we were like "sure but here's a written contract." Then then don't contact us until 4 days before and ask where their books are and we're like "where's the order you were supposed to place?" So then one of the employees reaches out to diamond to bitch about us not following through with our deal and wow did our rep get pissed off at us for a while.

I really hope they call about it this next year so I can slam the receiver down as hard as possible.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Reminder that Marvel Coolometers aren't a list of things that are cool to uncool, it's a ranking of topics being discussed that month.

Case in point, this one isn't saying serial killers are cooler than Beverly Hills 90210.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dario the Wop posted:

Case in point, this one isn't saying serial killers are cooler than Beverly Hills 90210.

Well, that wouldn't be wrong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dario the Wop posted:

Reminder that Marvel Coolometers aren't a list of things that are cool to uncool, it's a ranking of topics being discussed that month.

This poo poo is like Little Kid Message Board.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Druids are never not cool, I don't know what's going on there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

This, plus undesireable physical paper based products. The future is better.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't mind reading digitally, but I just like having some thongs on physical form and in my hands.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Roth posted:

I don't mind reading digitally, but I just like having some thongs on physical form and in my hands.

You are absolutely not getting out of this slip.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

END ME SCOOB posted:

You are absolutely not getting out of this slip.

He just said he preferred having the slip!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't type with touch screens

I'm not even fixing it, wearing that typo with pride.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Roth posted:

I'm not even fixing it, wearing that typo with pride.

Like your thongs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're going to cons to just wander the dealer room you're Doing It Wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

What paper products? Conventions and comic book shops sell POP!s and Steampunk attire.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

Yeah I've come around to this. Don't have to keep 30 long boxes around.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mover posted:

Druids are never not cool, I don't know what's going on there.

"Agreed."

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

"Agreed."

Needs more Ellis.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Did this get posted before?

Letters of Note posted:

In 2013, a then-9-year-old boy named Joshua wrote to his hero, Alan Moore, the genius responsible for writing such classics as Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Joshua’s father recently told me by email:

quote:

“Whilst my sons were at primary school they both did an exercise in English where they wrote letters to their favourite writers. In fact they both did it twice, and three of those times received back a form letter from the publishers. However, my youngest wrote a letter to Alan Moore and received back the most wonderful reply, along with a book and some unlettered art from The Roses of Berlin which hadn't yet been published.”
Moore's reply is indeed wonderful, as is Joshua's original letter; transcripts of both can be found below. Since Joshua's father contacted me, and I subsequently got in touch with Alan Moore, I've learned that Joshua's quote will quite literally be reprinted on the back of Moore's upcoming Jerusalem: see here. Enormous thanks to all--Joshua, his father, and Alan Moore--for generously allowing these to be featured.

The whole thing is a bit long but is worth checking out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh, so it's okay for the nine year old to love Rorschach, but I can't. :colbert:

(joking)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Oh, so it's okay for the nine year old to love Rorschach, but I can't. :colbert:

(joking)

You're right, we shouldn't expect more from you than we do of a nine year old :cheeky:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rorshach's an interesting character, but people who idolize him are really creepy to me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alhazred posted:

You're right, we shouldn't expect more from you than we do of a nine year old :cheeky:

Exactly!

Roth posted:

Rorshach's an interesting character, but people who idolize him are really creepy to me.

I don't think he should be idollized per say, I just don't think he's as much of a monster as people tend to paint him as. He absolutely has bad mental issues and a notable problem with women and gays*, but part of the appeal of Watchmen is how flawed the entire cast is in their own ways.

*possibly internalized homophobia? must investigate further

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Exactly!

I don't think he should be idollized per say, I just don't think he's as much of a monster as people tend to paint him as. He absolutely has bad mental issues and a notable problem with women and gays*,

Don't forget minorities and the left.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Confession: Have never actually read the book, just adore the movie. I've just honestly never had the opportunity, but I've listened to and read a lot of analysis of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mystery solved.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rorscach is easily my favourite character in Watchmen, but the whole point of him is that he's damaged beyond repair by society. Looking at him and going "alright, so he's hobo Batman with gay issues" is reductive - he spends most of his page time making nihilistic monologues to himself which makes him seem cool to teenagers, but he holds deeply conservative values across the board because tradition offers meaning and stability; he's completely detached from society and judges it from the perspective not of an outsider but a cast-out. When he fails to rescue the girl and 'becomes' Rorscach he frames it as understanding the meaninglessness of life, but it's not true - the Comedian is the one who understood it, Rorscach denied it and lives in denial; he uses his vigilantism as a structure to hide from the horrors of meaninglessness. He's retreated from an actual life into the only meaning he can find - obsessively fighting crime. His cowardice is culminated as he kneels in the snow begging Manhattan to kill him to protect Ozymandias' plan, as he searches once more for a way to give life meaning. His journey is the inverse of Manhattan's - they both begin the book detached from society, but whereas Manhattan returns to it finding new purpose in his life, Rorschach moves further away from it into the filth he defensively has surrounded himself in and dies in want of purpose because he cannot accept that all of the horrible things he's seen, done and had done to him really meant nothing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Confession: Have never actually read the book, just adore the movie. I've just honestly never had the opportunity, but I've listened to and read a lot of analysis of it.

Oh my god

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

WickedHate posted:

Reading analysis without reading the work for yourself when it's something as accessible as Watchmen is kind of dumb.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WickedHate why must you do this every week.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

JFC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, I knew yall'd react that way. It's not like I don't want to read the book I've just never gotten around to it.

• Locked thread