Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I left out the important fact that I am using a garbage open source framework called xamarin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

hell eloquent javascript is $8 right now in https://www.humblebundle.com/books/joy-of-coding-book-bundle just grab that, that's a pretty beloved book
i will check this out, because i keep doing more and more javascript and could probably do it better. thanks for the suggestion!

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
if you disagree with the design of something and think it's a mistake that will make the product worse or more difficult to maintain, but you're more junior on the team, when is the right time to give up the fight and try to stop caring?

i know the right answer is "yesterday and never care about anything but the paycheck", but I hate making my job harder / code uglier for dumb reasons and the more often this happens, the less faith I have that this product won't be a dumpster fire that customers hate

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

when its extremely clear that nobody gives a poo poo about your opinion. it sucks and i recommend jobhunting

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that's exactly why I left my first real-rear end job. now I still deal with corporate-rear end bullshit BUT the people I work with value my opinion and that's the only reason I'm still here

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

every operating system needs system calls and it just so happens that the 68k makes implementing them easy! the processor supports 16 exception vectors that can be called with the TRAP instruction. (the simulator hooks trap #15 for I/O tasks.) when running a trap, the processor is put in supervisor mode and jumps to the corresponding vector. this means we can call the OS without needing to know anything about its location or state other than the arguments we need to pass.

so we just have to set up the vectors when we boot:

code:
    lea     Trap2Handler, a0
    move.l  #$88, a1
    move.l  a0, (a1)
and then we can execute trap #2, which will jump to Trap2Handler. Trap2Handler expects an argument passed through the d7 register which is used to select a task from the table. it then calls it as a subroutine.

code:
Trap2Table:
Trap2Task0  dc.l    Trap2TestMessage
Trap2Task1  dc.l    ReadBootSector
Trap2Task2  dc.l    CountObjectsInRootDirectory
Trap2Task3  dc.l    PrintDirectoryEntry
Trap2Task4  dc.l    CalculateDiskCapacity
Trap2Task5  dc.l    EnumerateRootDirectory
Trap2Task6  dc.l    ReadFATEntry
Trap2Task7  dc.l    GetStartingCluster
when the task returns, we clean up anything we need to and return from the trap handler. ez

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
The architect is actually impressed with my ability to climb through a tomb of code full of pitfalls and then decipher the hieroglyphics in there.

A... am I actually not complete poo poo?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
maybe slightly less poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Space Whale posted:

The architect is actually impressed with my ability to climb through a tomb of code full of pitfalls and then decipher the hieroglyphics in there.

A... am I actually not complete poo poo?

prove it by not leaving a tomb for the next guy

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
the annoying thing about python syntactic whitespace imo is that they didn't go far enough. for instance, there is no language level specified "right amount" of whitespace, which in any other language of course there wouldn't be, but if it's semantically significant maybe you should specify that....

also whitespace only has to be consistent within a block, so you can do this:

Python code:
def piss():
   def fart():
           print("look how dumb i am")
   fart()
also we have a large python project. it's kinda nice because the alternative would be a large c++ project which we also have and it's also lovely but with the added bonus of "change something in a commonly used header? see you tomorrow", and this way it's easier to tweak little things.

also python3 generators are really nice to work with!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Phobeste posted:

generators are really nice to work with!

this is truth, if i had one wish and it had to involve adding a feature to java then that's what i'd wish for

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol xamarin
https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=43448

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Soricidus posted:

this is truth, if i had one wish and it had to involve adding a feature to java then that's what i'd wish for

good choice

some people would absolutely hate it but it's class extensions/categories for me

death to stringutils

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
spotted a guy today wearing a panama over a sun hat, I can't even figure out whether I hate him

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

hackbunny posted:

spotted a guy today wearing a panama over a sun hat, I can't even figure out whether I hate him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8K1fTZaR7w

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

new developer interpreted "remove these two column references from these procedures because we are dropping them from the base table as they do nothing" as "remove any reference to any columns with that name from every procedure even where you don't know what it does and its unrelated to the issue description". i don't know why i bother delegating.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Phobeste posted:

also we have a large python project.

i'm so sorry

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

new developer interpreted "remove these two column references from these procedures because we are dropping them from the base table as they do nothing" as "remove any reference to any columns with that name from every procedure even where you don't know what it does and its unrelated to the issue description". i don't know why i bother delegating.

he was trying to Show Initiative and you need to put that habit out of him pronto

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i don't know why i bother delegating.

same, you're really bad at it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i just hope you're not in a c# shop

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 21, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

if only it were 1986 and I could make lots of money off my autism for 68000s and 6502s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

jobhunting

I have an interview on friday. I am so desperate. when the market is poo poo like this it sucks coz it means SO many people are going for such ordinary jobs. gently caress

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

is it a programmer job?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
though a python job would be cool

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Luigi Thirty posted:

if only it were 1986 and I could make lots of money off my autism for 68000s and 6502s

you never know. about 3 years ago we had to hire a contractor who knew z8000 assembly.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jobhunting sucks rear end even in a high-demand field . nobody has adequately disrupted jobhunting yet

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bloody posted:

jobhunting sucks rear end even in a high-demand field . nobody has adequately disrupted jobhunting yet
sure they have they make you an independent contractor like uber

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

i just picked a few recruitment agencies and sent them my cv and they did all the work for me

too bad (by which I mean good) lots of companies refuse to deal with external recruiters. fuckem

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

considering the inappropriate job spam every computer toucher gets on linked in I can only imagine what some recruiters do to larger companies that have had to ban them

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
somehow i've never actually gotten any lovely recruiter spam on linkedin. i'd assume that's because i'm so terrible even those guys don't want me

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

i think a technical interviewer interrupting you constantly to confuse you counts as disruption,

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

YeOldeButchere posted:

somehow i've never actually gotten any lovely recruiter spam on linkedin. i'd assume that's because i'm so terrible even those guys don't want me

it's based 100% on job title

recruiters don't even read your resume

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

YeOldeButchere posted:

you need some keywords in your job description and skills section

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's based 100% on job title

recruiters don't even read your resume

agree on 2 but for 1 on linked in I'm almost 100% certain their queries include your skills. ie my title is software engineer but I don't get front end spam

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there is just so few jobs. maybe one pops up every week or two?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

maybe where you live is poo poo because i had at least one a day
(with an attitude that it's their problem to figure out if i'm actually qualified to do the work)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
recruiters: they're bad

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

my job title on linkedin is 'marlon brando' and i get tons of recruiter spam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

my company has an alternate title for software architect called

chief engineer

i want to get this title

it's gonna be my title

• Locked thread