Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cenotaph posted:

The 1999 version of Acquire is the biggest box I have. It's absurd.

My biggest footprint is Roads & Boats, my biggest volume is Cthulhu Wars. The Gallerist honestly isn't much bigger than Kemet.

Recent light to medium Euros for five, excluding games already suggested:

Tokaido (v.light, light with expansions)
Orleans
Carson City
Praetor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I don't own the physical box, but Kingdom Death is a 15 pound box.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I want to play Cthulhu Wars. :(

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

The Gallerist honestly isn't much bigger than Kemet.

Kemet is about an inch and a half longer than any of the other games on my shelf and it drives me nuts.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Is Pandemic Legacy good with just 2 players? I'm like three games into a Risk Legacy campaign and it's like pulling teeth getting everyone together and then making them want to play the game instead of something else.

I didn't play this way, but I'm sure it's fine as long as you play multiple roles. Like each person takes two characters.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Another game for 5 players that might be worth mentioning is Flock. I haven't played it enough to really formulate a definite opinion on it, but I think it's worth looking into if you want a lighter, short game. It's a worker placement game with delayed activation of the action cards you place your birds/workers on. Timing and manipulation of initiative is very important. Not sure how much depth there is to it, but the game has a tiny footprint and comfortably fits into another game's box, which is a plus. Also, it takes like half an hour.

Lorini posted:

The nice thing about Keyflower is that it plays well at all player counts.
It does, but I think it's too swingy with 2 players. Especially the early game seeding. If one player gets a good combination of meeples or synergistic winter tiles they have a definite advantage, especially if the ships and autumn tiles then also play nice.
It's not bad with 2, but I'd rather play something else.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My wife and I played through Pandemic Legacy with 2 characters each, worked fine for us. I didn't notice anything that would be an issue.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Mister Sinewave posted:

My wife and I played through Pandemic Legacy with 2 characters each, worked fine for us. I didn't notice anything that would be an issue.

Me too. Can't say for sure but I suspect it's the optimal way to play. I recommend it as the ideal couples game to a lot of my friends.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm going to play 1830 in a couple weeks (my first one!), and wanted to double check which rule set was better. It's the Mayfair edition with the base and classic rules. I think I remember people saying the classic rules were better, but I don't remember.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Wizard Styles posted:

It does, but I think it's too swingy with 2 players. Especially the early game seeding. If one player gets a good combination of meeples or synergistic winter tiles they have a definite advantage, especially if the ships and autumn tiles then also play nice.
It's not bad with 2, but I'd rather play something else.

Well I've played it at least 10 times two player and it's fine. It's not the same experience of course, but there's still plenty of strategy, tactics and meanness :).

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

unpronounceable posted:

I'm going to play 1830 in a couple weeks (my first one!), and wanted to double check which rule set was better. It's the Mayfair edition with the base and classic rules. I think I remember people saying the classic rules were better, but I don't remember.

Classic rules, with no expansions.

The Classic and Mayfair ("Base") rules differ in two places:

• In the Classic Game, players use a "buy-or-bid" system to grab the private companies at the start of the game. In the Mayfair version, the private companies are pre-grouped into lots, and you're just bidding for first/second/third pick of the lots. While the Mayfair version is easier to explain rules-wise, it's less balanced value-wise, and it's actually easier for new players to sabotage themselves in the opening bids.

• More importantly, in the Classic Game a player can go bankrupt, which immediately ends the game. The Mayfair version lets (or rather forces) an insolvent player to take out loans to stay afloat. This is a terrible idea, and will make games drag out long after a player has been functionally eliminated. For god's sake, do the merciful thing and let the poor chump die.

EDIT: There seems to be a patten with modern game companies trying to "fix" Avalon Hill classics and accidentally pissing in the soup. 1830 and Merchant of Venus are both examples, you should never bother with the "updated" versions of either. Which sucks, cuz I'd really like to see someone competent take a modern-design scalpel to Magic Realm at some point. But I'm afraid it won't come out the other side with all its limbs intact.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 20, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Some people were asking about Captain Sonar and I want to say I enjoyed what I played. I find I enjoy turn based more than real time because real time requires familiarity of the system and solid coordination with your teammates. As is it's a good hide-and-seek game with direct conflict and plenty of variability in the map and tactics to warrant multiple plays with the same group before concrete strategies are formed.

I don't really know what specifics to discuss so if anyone has questions or concerns ask away.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Lunsku posted:

Goons, throw some suggestions on somewhat recent (say last five years) light to midweight euros that play well with five. That seems to be our group size most of the time at the moment, but a lot of the older stuff I'd like to dig out from the cabinet caps at 4 (Samurai, Goa, Ingenious) in practice isn't something I would like to bring to the table for five (Caylus). I don't mind getting to play my Amun-Re and Space Alert a lot, with a bit of Ticket to Ride in the mix, but would like something fresh.

A bit late, but need to re-emphasize Istanbul which was previously mentioned since it's one of my favorite games. ESPECIALLY good at 5 with the Mocha expansion.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Jedit posted:

My biggest footprint is Roads & Boats, my biggest volume is Cthulhu Wars. The Gallerist honestly isn't much bigger than Kemet.

Acquire almost assuredly isn't as big as a lot of the games that people are mentioning, especially the FFG coffin boxes, but it's so ridiculously huge for something that was originally a 3M bookshelf game. It's the epitome of late 90s/early aughts overproduced plastic.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 20, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

EDIT: There seems to be a patten with modern game companies trying to "fix" Avalon Hill classics and accidentally pissing in the soup. 1830 and Merchant of Venus are both examples, you should never bother with the "updated" versions of either. Which sucks, cuz I'd really like to see someone competent take a modern-design scalpel to Magic Realm at some point. But I'm afraid it won't come out the other side with all its limbs intact.

I'm surprised the Valley reprint of Titan didn't ruin anything rules-wise - it just had poor quality control and some questionable counter design. It's possible the main board is an improvement though, I've yet to play on a Valley set.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Definitely have been eyeing this one up, it has always sounded interesting.

rchandra posted:

Stonemaier's Viticulture and Between Two Cities are good with 5, I suspect Euphoria is also but only tried it with 3 so far.

Viticulture too, it seems to consistently get good feels here.

Wizard Styles posted:

I was going to suggest El Grande, but since that's too old

I love El Grande and I think if I'd see it on the LGS shelf it'd be a big risk I'd pick it up. Ditto for Princes of Florence which plays excellent with five, those two games I don't personally have but we played a lot of ten years back or so. Need to check your other recommendations too.

Merauder posted:

A bit late, but need to re-emphasize Istanbul which was previously mentioned since it's one of my favorite games. ESPECIALLY good at 5 with the Mocha expansion.

Rüdiger Dorn? Sign me the gently caress up, Goa is easily one of my favourite euros.

Thank's for the recommendations y'all, feel free to drop more if something needs mentioning.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Merauder posted:

I prefer the prequel, Constantinople.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/196328/constantinople

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Thanks for the Worker Placement suggestions, we'll hunt some down at a board game cafe and see if its the mechanic he dislikes or whether he was just playing the wrong worker placements.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gutter Owl posted:

Classic rules, with no expansions.

The Classic and Mayfair ("Base") rules differ in two places:

• In the Classic Game, players use a "buy-or-bid" system to grab the private companies at the start of the game. In the Mayfair version, the private companies are pre-grouped into lots, and you're just bidding for first/second/third pick of the lots. While the Mayfair version is easier to explain rules-wise, it's less balanced value-wise, and it's actually easier for new players to sabotage themselves in the opening bids.

• More importantly, in the Classic Game a player can go bankrupt, which immediately ends the game. The Mayfair version lets (or rather forces) an insolvent player to take out loans to stay afloat. This is a terrible idea, and will make games drag out long after a player has been functionally eliminated. For god's sake, do the merciful thing and let the poor chump die.

Merchant of Venus was a lovely roll and move game in the first place and deserved to die.

I don't think you could really keep Magic Realm.. Magic Realm in a modern sense, the sprawling nature of the game just doesn't lend itself to a modern design.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

My girlfriend and I have been playing Pandemic Legacy with just one character each and it's been fine!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also, it's a lot easier to jump in and out of Pandemic Legacy games since it doesn't really need a constant group like Risk Legacy and Seafall do. I've been playing with a rotating group of six people, even had someone do a one-off in June or whatever, and everything's worked out fine. Worst thing is that you'll have to catch people up on what crazy poo poo's currently going on, and honestly there's not that many more mechanics even later on so teaching everything isn't a major issue.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
What was the consensus on the new version of Mansions of Madness? My FLGS just got it, and I want something that would surpass Eldritch Horror that I can bring more consistently to the table.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ETB posted:

What was the consensus on the new version of Mansions of Madness? My FLGS just got it, and I want something that would surpass Eldritch Horror that I can bring more consistently to the table.

The app is a little clunky to use, but its fun to play and flows pretty well. I didnt get to play 1st edition so I can't compare them.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just checked out the rules for Key to the City - London, the parallel game to Keyflower. I think I'll skip it, at least initially. It definitely looks like Keyflower with a few interesting rule changes, but it also looks like some of the viciousness is taken out.
I'm really just posting this to say that I like that the "what was seen remains seen" variant in it is called The Jennifer Variant.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did anyone pick up the Cosmic Evil expansion for Tragedy Looper at Gencon? How much did Z-Man gently caress this up or did Asmodee apply some QC?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What's short, simple, and pretty like Machi Koro, but not awful like Machi Koro?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Toshimo posted:

What's short, simple, and pretty like Machi Koro, but not awful like Machi Koro?

Splendor though most people here would say it's mediocre. Not awful though!

Sushi Go perhaps?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Lanterns: The Harvest Festival

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Toshimo posted:

I dunno about pretty, but I like Welcome to the Dungeon. Tokaido is short, simple and pretty but it is not terribly portable.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Electric Hobo posted:

I just checked out the rules for Key to the City - London, the parallel game to Keyflower. I think I'll skip it, at least initially. It definitely looks like Keyflower with a few interesting rule changes, but it also looks like some of the viciousness is taken out.
I'm really just posting this to say that I like that the "what was seen remains seen" variant in it is called The Jennifer Variant.

Very cool!! I'll have to find the rules at some point. I do plan on buying it as well.

(Jennifer)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Dice City.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dice City looks neat. Pros-cons?

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Picked up Tharsis from the slightly-old humble bundle. It's a short single player game where you control four astronauts that have a terrible case of ship-exploding. The game plays similarly to Blood Bowl where you roll dice for everything and the strategy boils down to risk assessment. I'd definitely recommend it at $1.00; don't try and play it on easy as that will destroy the magic of losing due to your own horrible choices.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
One of my friends said Valeria: Card Kingdoms was like a good Machi Koro?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
My copy of Castles of Mad King Ludwig seems to be missing the master builder & player score tokens. Is this common? Should I bother trying to exchange it? (Got it off Amazon.)

The game seems interesting enough after one playthrough (though it does seem to want more than two players), but it's a bit annoying to have punched out all those chits of cardboard and still be missing bits at the end.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Archenteron posted:

One of my friends said Valeria: Card Kingdoms was like a good Machi Koro?

The big problem with it is that card yields are slightly overblown, with 4 or 5 from the mid game onward you'll have way too much resources. We have soft fixed it in our group by adding an extra resting player so only 3 people ever get resources each turn.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

My copy of Castles of Mad King Ludwig seems to be missing the master builder & player score tokens. Is this common? Should I bother trying to exchange it? (Got it off Amazon.)

The game seems interesting enough after one playthrough (though it does seem to want more than two players), but it's a bit annoying to have punched out all those chits of cardboard and still be missing bits at the end.

Just send an email to Bezier Games and they'll send you replacement tokens. Board game customer service is generally really good in this department.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SynthOrange posted:

Dice City looks neat. Pros-cons?

It's a market row deckbuilder disguised by a board and dice rolling.

Also it's not a short game. 20 minutes plus per player is normal in my experience.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
It's also very multiplayer solitaire, though some people see that as a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Toshimo posted:

Taluva and Via Nebula are pretty. Not as short as Machi Koro, but will rarely take much longer than 45 minutes. Very easy to learn/teach if that's the main reason why you're asking for simpler games.
Celestia might fit, but I haven't played it myself yet, just heard good things about it.