Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

The Dark Id posted:

Any additional bits about Salt & Sanctuary?

Bit late, but:
-Guide Totems activate fast travel at any sanctuary. It's a good idea to try to put one at each sanctuary so you can quickly move about the world with ease.
-Magic is OP as hell but it takes some time before it gets there.
-The transmutations are your biggest opportunities to increase damage in one shot, especially if you go mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I usually try to avoid tips like these but I've heard that Valkyrie Profile has some obtuse stuff you need to do to get a better ending and even if I end up liking it I don't know if I have multiple playthroughs of a JRPG in me anymore. Is it worth looking up what to do or should I just ignore that stuff?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's worth it. Valkyrie profile's good ending is a lot more super good content, and you will not figure out how to get it on your first playthrough blind. The game is shorter than a lot of PS1 jrpgs though.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Alright, thanks. Am I missing out on anything if I don't do the normal ending first?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Neddy Seagoon posted:

• Likewise DNA Digivolving is in the game too, all it requires is getting both Digimon's CAM up to 100% along with other prerequisite stats, then select it like any other Digivolution for one with both in your party.
Are these listed? I got Cyber Sleuth a bit ago and haven't seen any, and now I'm worried I'll have to look them up.

Also please note: normal mode is pretty easy, but hard mode will chew you up and spit you out. It's legitimately harder than the High Tier of hard JRPGs like SMT Nocturne etc. Don't do it unless you're pretty confident and like to grind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Are these listed? I got Cyber Sleuth a bit ago and haven't seen any, and now I'm worried I'll have to look them up.

Also please note: normal mode is pretty easy, but hard mode will chew you up and spit you out. It's legitimately harder than the High Tier of hard JRPGs like SMT Nocturne etc. Don't do it unless you're pretty confident and like to grind.

They're regular digivolving options, you'll just see an extra criteria like "Stingmon at 100% CAM".

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

HMS Boromir posted:

Alright, thanks. Am I missing out on anything if I don't do the normal ending first?

Not a thing. The normal ending is just a short unsatisfying anticlimax with a brief scene where some characters hint that maybe this isn't all there is to the story.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Righto, thanks again. I'm really liking the game so far! I was already familiar with the basic gameplay from having played the prototype for Indivisible (which takes heavy inspiration from VP) but I'm really taking to the baffling-but-presumably-deep crafting and skill mechanics. The visual presentation is fantastic as well.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

Major Ryan posted:

I've managed to never actually play Zelda: Ocarina of Time, so I picked up the 3DS version. I've played through the first dungeon and been let out into the big wide world. Should I just go with the flow or is there anything in particular I need to know? I'm more than happy to put up with it being an old game with old design/controls etc.

I'd like to add that I find that using gyroscope aiming for when you shoot things in 1st person is much easier than analog.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

HMS Boromir posted:

Righto, thanks again. I'm really liking the game so far! I was already familiar with the basic gameplay from having played the prototype for Indivisible (which takes heavy inspiration from VP) but I'm really taking to the baffling-but-presumably-deep crafting and skill mechanics. The visual presentation is fantastic as well.

It's a good game but gently caress me the hoops you have to jump through in order to get the best ending for sure require you to have a guide. I played it when it was released and I still recall it more for its weird ending requirements than anything else.

I do enjoy that on "hard" mode the game itself ends up being easier. The other modes lock you out of content (I think whole dungeons?) which screws you out of gear/characters/levels.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mayor McCheese posted:

It's a good game but gently caress me the hoops you have to jump through in order to get the best ending for sure require you to have a guide. I played it when it was released and I still recall it more for its weird ending requirements than anything else.

I do enjoy that on "hard" mode the game itself ends up being easier. The other modes lock you out of content (I think whole dungeons?) which screws you out of gear/characters/levels.

There are quite a few hard-only dungeons, which have the flame jewels you need to find everything in the seraphic gate.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
There's also the fact that new recruits join at level 1 on Hard, which just means you can get them souped up levels that end up much more useful.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I know somebody has been asking about it here, so just for the record; in Ori And The Blind Forest:

-In the Definitive Edition (the only one you can get now, actually), you can revisit the areas that were closed off after playing them in the original. This is extremely helpful for the chase segments since a)the collectibles there are no longer permanently missable, b)whatever was chasing you in the first place is no longer there so there's no time limit and you can save in the middle of the thing. So that's one less headache.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ori Definitive is pretty drat great, yeah. It solves every issue with missables that original Ori had. Some of the achievements are still missable by their very nature (like beat the game without dying or within a certain time limit), but all the in-game collecting and exploring is completely open.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Metro: Last Light tips I feel are missing from the wiki:

- You get "morality points" towards the good ending by exploring (and looting) out of the way spots, listening to incidental conversations all the way through (civilians and enemies both), doing good deeds and avoiding enemy casualties. If you explore well enough, you can skip the pacifist angle and still get the good ending though.

- Don't worry about getting separated from your allies. They will always wait for you to finish exploring, safe and sound.

- Many stealth sections are based around advancing as far as you can without being detected to trigger a conversation that will make the enemies move on to more convenient spots.

- With the exception of "Nightfall", none of the boss fights are about pointing a gun at the bad guy and pulling the trigger for a while. There's always a environment / vulnerable spot to target.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: Seeing as there's nothing in the wiki already, here's some stuff for Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

• Play on Normal or higher. The game is exceedingly easy, and playing on Easy is so unchallenging you could sleep through it.
  • The Digimon's type (Data, Vaccine, or Virus) is more important than the element. Make sure to bring a few Virus-types as well as your favourites because some recurring bosses use Data-type Digimon.
  • Resetting the Digimon's level with Digivolution isn't the handicap you first think it is. Their stats remain the same, so don't fret quite so much about throwing your new Level 1 Greymon into a fight.
  • Digimon in your Reserves gain EXP at the same rate, but they don't gain CAM (camaraderie/friendship). Only those actually participating do. CAM is generally only really used for the "main" digivolution paths for some of the more notable Digimon (eg; Agumon->Greymon->MetalGreymon)
  • Veemon can get two of his DigiEgg Armor Evolutions. The first Digi-Egg is obtained from a bonus boss in the same area of Kowloon as your target for Chapter 7. Keep going past your target and you can't miss him.
  • Likewise DNA Digivolving is in the game too, all it requires is getting both Digimon's CAM up to 100% along with other prerequisite stats, then select it like any other Digivolution for one with both in your party.
  • Your Code-Hacker abilities have prerequisites for their use aside from your Cyber Sleuth Level. If you can't use one despite your CS Level, check in the Player section of the Digivice menu. Generally it just requires you have a Digimon of a specific Type in your party.

Some more stuff for Cyber Sleuth;

The first thing you should do at the start of a new Chapter is go hunting through every location in Tokyo for a guy with a pair of big yellow spikes for hair called Victory Uchida. Every time you find this victorious fellow, he'll give you a rare item. As a freebie for a tricky on;, when you have to go to Tokyo Underground for the second time, immediately turn around and go back the other way (south). The sneaky bugger's hiding against the wall and you'll never find him otherwise if you don't think to look.

When you create a new Digimon from Scans higher than Rookie, the first thing you should do is devolve it a stage or two. Newly-created Champions and higher have an awful ABI stat and Level limit (A max level of 25 for Champions, for example), which generally means they can't actually Digivolve to Ultimate at all.

There are only two ways to raise ABI: Digivolution and Miracle Meat. Miracle Meat's rare and expensive, so the best way to get a Digimon's ABI up is to de-and-re-Digivolve it a bunch of times. By mid/late game, that's not so bad when you can burn up into the Level 20-30+ bracket off just a few fights.

If you want Stingmon for DNA-Digivolving into Paildramon, don't do it through Wormmon because his stats take some serious work to meet the requirements. Falcomon or Tentomon are much easier Rookies to get to him through.

DNA Digivolving requirements only need to be met by one of the two Digimon, except for the 100% CAM requirements which both need to fulfill. The other is consumed in the process, so you can burn a crappy Digimon force-fed Digimeat for CAM requirements to supplement the other well-leveled one.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm starting the witcher 3 and I heard you can't master all the skills. Anything exceptionally good/bad stuff I should look out for?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

If you're not running a "general perks always active" mod, you should stay away from general perks. Possible exceptions - Gourmet, which turns food into a long-lasting healing potion, and Cat / Griffin / Bear school techniques, which give you neat bonuses for wearing light / medium / heavy armor.

Stay away from crossbow skills (the crossbow is strictly a utility weapon) and Crippling Blows, which is a genuinely terrible high level skill.

If you want to know more, I wrote up a whole "what should I know before I play" guide for TW3.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut? The page on the wiki is mostly for the base game so some stuff might not apply anymore.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RatHat posted:

Anything for Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut? The page on the wiki is mostly for the base game so some stuff might not apply anymore.

For a second, I thought you were asking about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and I was about to flip out.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

RatHat posted:

The only thing Director's Cut changed was the boss fights, integrated DLC and developer commentary (which you should watch on youtube instead).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xander77 posted:

The only thing Director's Cut changed was the boss fights, integrated DLC and developer commentary (which you should watch on youtube instead).

The bossfights now have other ways to win besides direct violence. You still have to kill them even on an otherwise-pacifistic run, but look around the arena a bit if your direct combat skills aren't superb.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I have some other stuff for Cyber Sleuth:

- Unless you feed them the meat mentioned earlier, you'll have to de-digivolve your guys at least once before they'll have 20 Abi, the minimum for I believe all Mega evolutions. So don't expect to get a full team of them too early.

- A few Megas have as a pre-requisite to beat 'Great Challenge [Number]'. Those come extremely late in the game, so don't worry about them too hard.

- A lot of the poop digimon have pretty useful abilities, so they do have some use if you can put up with having one on your team.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

The DLC kicks in near the end of the game and there's no way to skip it. It takes away all your upgrades, but you earn some praxis points playing it and you get a hefty amount back at the end so you can redo upgrades. I came out with more points total than when I went in, but I've heard people say they came out with less.

Whatever way you spec Jensen in the main game, for the DLC the cloaking system is very useful. Hacking skills less so because codes can be found easily. At least that's what I thought back when I played it based on some old posts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Whatever way you spec Jensen in the main game, for the DLC the cloaking system is very useful. Hacking skills less so because codes can be found easily. At least that's what I thought back when I played it based on some old posts.

You keep your DLC spec when it rejoins the main game though, so if you want hacking for the final stretch (not mandatory but I like to hack the planet even if I have codes) keep that in mind. It's mainly a respec opportunity.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

My Lovely Horse posted:

The DLC kicks in near the end of the game and there's no way to skip it. It takes away all your upgrades, but you earn some praxis points playing it and you get a hefty amount back at the end so you can redo upgrades. I came out with more points total than when I went in, but I've heard people say they came out with less.

Does the game warn you before it starts the DLC and you lose your upgrades?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

RatHat posted:

Does the game warn you before it starts the DLC and you lose your upgrades?

If memory serves, it's the same "this is the point of no return, do everything you want to do first" message that appears in various parts. I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell you they've taken everything until you learn about it during the first cutscene of the DLC.

Also, I've no idea how you could come out w/ less praxis points going in because you get gifted back all your poo poo at the very end of the DLC and those points are part of it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Also they made the PC textures, performance and graphics settings worse!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Xander77 posted:

There's a few itty-bitty changes and balances here and there. For example, if you take the sneaky way into the factory on the first level, you find a much-needed sniper rifle.

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012
I'm considering playing Etrian Odyssey IV but am not looking forward to the Atlus grinding. What are some bullshit cheese strats I can use to breeze through the game?

I'm also thinking of jumping right in with a challenge hack of Pokemon X, but I haven't played any games in the series for a long time. What would an offense-focused competitive Gen 6 team look like? I know that speed is very important in 4 and that weather is king in 5, but I know nothing about 6.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mick Swagger posted:

I'm considering playing Etrian Odyssey IV but am not looking forward to the Atlus grinding. What are some bullshit cheese strats I can use to breeze through the game?

Just make a good party comp on your first try :colbert: I can't remember EO4's classes and how they work, but if you're not going for the post game content it should be possible to get through with almost no grinding (unless you count almost dying and returning to town while you explore a lot as grinding)

It's also got an easy mode, if you'd enjoy that more.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mick Swagger posted:

Check out the Etrian Odyssey Megathread and feel free to ask in there. It's fairly active at the moment with EO5 out in Japan, and people there are more than happy to give advice and strategy.

In general though, EO4 is fairly decent when it comes to needing grinding. If you've got a decent team you're pretty much good to go, unless you want to do the post-game stuff.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Mick Swagger posted:

I'm also thinking of jumping right in with a challenge hack of Pokemon X, but I haven't played any games in the series for a long time. What would an offense-focused competitive Gen 6 team look like? I know that speed is very important in 4 and that weather is king in 5, but I know nothing about 6.
That depends greatly on whether you're up for using legendary pokemon (or Uber-tier, if you're going by smogon's rankings). It would be really easy to brute force just about everything with a combination or Arceus, Rayquaza, Landorous and all that. Very effective but really boring!

Greninja, Gengar, Sylveon, Blaziken/Infernape, Aegislash, Excadrill, and Talonflame are a good smattering of high-powered mons in gen 6. Speed is still super important; a lot of the best picks are priority attackers and sweepers. Mega evolution changes a lot of things as well. Mega-Kangashkan and Mega-Mawile are both available in X and are very good picks that drop a tier or two in their regular form.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mick Swagger posted:

General advice:
Gen 6 very much continues the tradition of singles becoming more and more rocket tag. Build your team around your Mega, either directly, or using it as a lynchpin in another strategy. But also remember that your opponent will be gunning for your mega, so don't overcommit. Most of the Megas are at least passable, but the best three available in X are M-Kangaskhan, M-Gengar, and M-Blaziken. (Unfortunately, M-Blaziken was a wifi exclusive for X, so unless you hack it in...)

More specific advice:
A fast Mega that gets off a Nasty Plot or Swords Dance (Or a powerful one that gets off an Agility/Rock Polish) can utterly annihilate a lot of teams. You'll want your mega, a couple mons whose main job is to cover the mega's weaknesses and prepare an opportunity for the mega to set up, and at least one defensive pivot. (I like using Overcoat Mandibuzz, but you do you.)
The auto-weathers got limited to 5 turns each, but Sunny still gets some play because of M-Charizard Y, and Sandstorm is eternal.
Some of the best defensive megas are OR/AS exclusive, unfortunately, so X/Y, you're very much playing rocket tag.
Dragons aren't nearly as dominating as they used to be because Fairies are a thing, but they're still very good.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 22, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mick Swagger posted:

You can level up insanely quickly thanks to the overworld map FOEs. I made it through most of the game at a comfortable level with no grinding thanks to the sheep FOEs in the second area; they're pretty weak and give loads of experience, especially if you feed them Gold Stinkhorn and eat an experience-boosting food thing beforehand - you get something ridiculous like 60k per fight.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Anything for Mercenary Kings? Does it ever get easier to find mission objectives?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Count Chocula posted:

Anything for Mercenary Kings? Does it ever get easier to find mission objectives?

1) Bring a friend. It'll get boring fast if you don't because it recycles maps, but not in creative ways like Monster Hunter does.
2) Yes, later on you can build a Computer accessory (it's super heavy, though) that'll mark objectives and boss enemies on the map.

... 3) you do know there's a map right :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also many of the missions are on the same maps, so you'll start to memorize good routes that take you through a lot of the level quickly where likely hiding places will be.

But definitely bring a friend.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Anything for Disgaea 5 that isn't on the wiki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Anything for Disgaea 5 that isn't on the wiki?

I think "play the game in a way that is fun for you" is something you need to keep in mind while playing all Disgaea games, especially Disgaea 5. If you are a completionist about it or obsessed about playing efficiently the game will turn into a chore. You don't need to grind all your stats into the multiple millions for the postgame content, and if you find that to be tiresome don't do make yourself do it because it is there. If you like the item world have fun in the item world, even though the gear you're leveling up will be outclassed soon enough. Don't even look at reincarnation if starting your units over from level 1 sounds like a pain in the rear end.