Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've learned three things about Deus Ex today:

1. Greasels and Karkians actually gain health when they eat corpses.

2. The Versalife Greasels will ignore you after the first few seconds (if you don't attack them) and go after any Versalife staff.

3. Some people at least claim to have never played the Single Player campaign. They just stick with the multiplayer servers. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Multiplayer was surprisingly fun for something shoehorned in later. It wasn't balanced at all and just nuts.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Deus Ex had multiplayer?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I remember the multiplayer it was fun. Especially on modded maps that had default jump height quadrupled etc.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Deus Ex had multiplayer?

One of the last, if not the last patch added it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Let's see, the initial New York seems to be one night. Then you go to Hong Kong, and if you're doing that in a helicopter that's like a two day journey at least.
It's like 16-20ish hours because you're trying to beat your 24-hour killswitch.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Deus Ex had multiplayer?

Yeah and it had the skill system, so after a kill streak you became harder and harder to take down since you could upgrade running speed/weapons etc. It was a lot of fun

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Xander77 posted:

3. Some people at least claim to have never played the Single Player campaign. They just stick with the multiplayer servers. :psyduck:

I was one of those people. I first got DX when I was very young, got bored of liberty island and proceeded to exclusively play multiplayer on RP servers (which are to these day one of the best experiences I've had with online shooters)

I think it took me 5+ years to actually give singleplayer a try. DX1 is now my favorite game and I hate my younger self

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Is there some sort of mod or adjustment to DX: Revision that puts all the augmentation upgrade canisters back to the vanilla placements on Realistic difficulty instead of moving and removing a lot of the early ones you kinda need a lot to keep the early game from being too punishing? Fanboys and the modder seem to think "just play with Shifter and in the lategame you'll get so many aug loot drops it won't matter" is a satisfactory answer and it astonishes me someone so dedicated and talented can't understand why that's a really stupid answer to a problem that exists for no reason.

"this is why you're playing on realistic ;) " it is not, actually, friend. if i wanted to do no-augs-perfect-stealth on Realistic i'd do that without your aid. please give me the aug upgrades back, which are in places for game balance reasons, please.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's like 16-20ish hours because you're trying to beat your 24-hour killswitch.

JC says to Gordon Quick that he won't be his ally for "more than 12 hours." I guess Jock flew really fast?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

JC says to Gordon Quick that he won't be his ally for "more than 12 hours." I guess Jock flew really fast?

Of course he did. It's A Black Helicopter.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

You can tell whether or not somebody is a true DX fan by their preference between Revision or GMDX.

But what if you prefer vanilla, like I do?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

closeted republican posted:

But what if you prefer vanilla, like I do?

Better than fans.

Gods.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 20, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Willie Tomg posted:

Is there some sort of mod or adjustment to DX: Revision that puts all the augmentation upgrade canisters back to the vanilla placements on Realistic difficulty instead of moving and removing a lot of the early ones you kinda need a lot to keep the early game from being too punishing? Fanboys and the modder seem to think "just play with Shifter and in the lategame you'll get so many aug loot drops it won't matter" is a satisfactory answer and it astonishes me someone so dedicated and talented can't understand why that's a really stupid answer to a problem that exists for no reason.

"this is why you're playing on realistic ;) " it is not, actually, friend. if i wanted to do no-augs-perfect-stealth on Realistic i'd do that without your aid. please give me the aug upgrades back, which are in places for game balance reasons, please.

This is one of the reasons I don't care for Revision. They don't take gameplay into account when they alter the levels the same way that GMDX does. Honestly given the choice I would pick vanilla over Revision. Just up to the mole people I was disappointed like a dozen times by exploring the new areas and not finding cleverly hidden loot. GMDX sticks a hidden item in pretty much every nook and cranny in the game. I can tell you that I have 5 upgraded augs after destroying the NSF generator, not sure what you would have at vanilla at that point.

edit: Should probably point out GMDX is a lot harder than vanilla, so definitely not the way to go if you don't like a challenge on Realistic.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 21, 2016

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a mod or method to disable those huge white halos that pop up on screen when you walk within 30 feet of a street light?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Your vision is augmented.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So I'm playing through Deus Ex again, this time with GMDX and it's actually a really cool mod. I especially like how they made the AI smarter but balanced it out by giving you more tools to play with and rebalancing some of the weapons. The mini-crossbow with tranq darts is actually good if you score a headshot instead of a piece of poo poo now!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So I'm playing through Deus Ex again, this time with GMDX and it's actually a really cool mod. I especially like how they made the AI smarter but balanced it out by giving you more tools to play with and rebalancing some of the weapons. The mini-crossbow with tranq darts is actually good if you score a headshot instead of a piece of poo poo now!

The crossbow was always good with headshots. Also incendiary darts are really fun with it.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there a mod or method to disable those huge white halos that pop up on screen when you walk within 30 feet of a street light?

Clean your glasses.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

The crossbow was always good with headshots. Also incendiary darts are really fun with it.

Incendiary darts was really good yeah but tranq darts were always a piece of poo poo to me. I hit someone in the head and they run around like headless chickens screaming in pain, setting off an alarm and then finally passing out. In GMDX, one headshot means they're out cold and even if you don't hit them dead on the head, they'll pass out much quicker than they did in the original. Same goes for other non-lethal weapons like the baton, I remember you had to aim at a very specific part of the body and you had to be pixel perfect to knock them out in one hit. Now it's much more lenient.

But enemies are also much more perceptive and will actually investigate where they last saw you instead of assuming you're some homeless guy and if you're hiding in the dark they'll now throw flares to flush you out so it all balances out. GMDX makes pacifist runs much more viable and less of a pain in the rear end and makes the prod more of another tool in your arsenal instead of being about the only good way to knock out enemies like the vanilla game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The tranq darts were always a one hit kill, no matter where you hit, so not exactly bad

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The tranq darts were always a one hit kill, no matter where you hit, so not exactly bad

Not before they run around screaming for 5 minutes and alerting every guard within a 10 mile radius as they scramble to the nearest alarm panel and activate it. They were supposed to be a non-lethal way to silently take out enemies, instead they're just non-lethal ammunition that will alert everyone to your presence.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not before they run around screaming for 5 minutes and alerting every guard within a 10 mile radius as they scramble to the nearest alarm panel and activate it.

Well that's pretty much the reason tranq darts aren't used by the police and military IRL. If you want the enemies to go down instantly and silently, you'll have to kill them lethally.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

First impressions of GMDX.

Had to use this fix to get it to run.

Still using the original assigned keys, which mods apparently feel the need to do, for some reason.

I've lured the NSF patrol bot back to Paul. Haven't fire a single shot at it, yet the moment its fire clipped the Unatco trooper and a firefight started, Paul turned on me. I survived for a while, but once the Unatco bot took the NSF bot out, it turned on me as well. Ouch.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Cat Mattress posted:

Well that's pretty much the reason tranq darts aren't used by the police and military IRL. If you want the enemies to go down instantly and silently, you'll have to kill them lethally.

Prod with the prod.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've been aware of GMDX since before it came out but I can't say that I've experienced it, so I'm not going to big it up like SolidSnakesBandana. However, I did watch all of those explanatory videos that they did for it and the attention to detail is mind-boggling. It's fantastic marketing for the mod done simply by meticulously breaking down everything that is in the mod. You have to admire that level of dedication.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I wish there were a way to get Biomod's augs working with GMDX because that would be basically perfect. I'll almost certainly give GMDX it's day in court regardless because I've already futzed around with Biomod and Revision...

*spits*

I don't like talking about Revision.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

I wish there were a way to get Biomod's augs working with GMDX because that would be basically perfect. I'll almost certainly give GMDX it's day in court regardless because I've already futzed around with Biomod and Revision...

*spits*

I don't like talking about Revision.

GMDX seems to incorporate some stuff from Biomod anyway, like being able to mantle on objects and some augs being passive instead of needing to be toggled on.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I hate pretty much all the GDMX changes thus far. Changing codes without dropping the information about what the new codes are into the world, having all the ammo pickups be 2-3 measly bullets, that terrible red inventory, the highly unreliable mantling, not including Biomod/Shifter as an option...

Playing on Normal, btw. The problem isn't with better AI or enemies doing more damage. It's about scouring the entirety of Battery Park and having enough ammo for one puff of the flamethrower.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 3, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
A lot of that I didn't notice because I just use the baton in 100% of all situations. Not sure what you mean by red inventory, you can change the color of the UI to whatever you want. I haven't had much trouble with mantling (just remember you have to jump again while in mid-air, you cant just press once and hold). I've been hovering around 15 multitools for a while now, so I haven't had to worry about codes. However I will say that generally GMDX does in fact have the codes out in the wild, though I'm unsure whatever specific one you're talking about. Biomod would not mesh well with this mod , since they change the same things. After playing GMDX my opinion is that Biomod is sloppy as hell by comparison. I used to like Biomod but now I see it just made an already easy game even easier. That's totally cool if you aren't the kind of person that plays on the hardest difficulty for every game. For one thing Biomod just shits skill points at you.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 21, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Smuggler, Osgood and sons, some others I forgot.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

A lot of that I didn't notice because I just use the baton in 100% of all situations. Not sure what you mean by red inventory, you can change the color of the UI to whatever you want. I haven't had much trouble with mantling (just remember you have to jump again while in mid-air, you cant just press once and hold). I've been hovering around 15 multitools for a while now, so I haven't had to worry about codes. However I will say that generally GMDX does in fact have the codes out in the wild, though I'm unsure whatever specific one you're talking about. Biomod would not mesh well with this mod , since they change the same things. After playing GMDX my opinion is that Biomod is sloppy as hell by comparison. I used to like Biomod but now I see it just made an already easy game even easier. That's totally cool if you aren't the kind of person that plays on the hardest difficulty for every game. For one thing Biomod just shits skill points at you.

Do you mean Shifter? Biomod gave you roughly the same amount of skill points as vanilla I believe, Shifter is the one which gave you skill points for how you tackle enemies.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah sometimes I forget what the vanilla levels were like. GMDX adds a lot of locks that require a ton of picks/tools to open, I guess for people like me that hoard them. For all the talk of trying not to change much, GMDX changes a shitload about the level design and item placement, and I'm not even to Hong Kong yet.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Do you mean Shifter? Biomod gave you roughly the same amount of skill points as vanilla I believe, Shifter is the one which gave you skill points for how you tackle enemies.

Biomod 1.1 enables Shifter's skill system which, now that you mention it, is a toggle in the option menu. So I guess it's not really Biomod's fault

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 21, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Biomod 1.1 enables Shifter's skill system which, now that you mention it, is a toggle in the option menu. So I guess it's not really Biomod's fault

Yeah it has been a good few years since I used Biomod but I was fairly certain it was a Shifter feature that you could enable in Biomod through messing around with ini files. This was before 1.1 came out though.

Deus Ex might be my most replayed game ever. 3 playthroughs on vanilla, 2 on the PS2 port, 2 with Shifter, 1 with Biomod, an aborted playthrough of Revision and an ongoing one with GMDX. The features of the various mods start to blur together.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

does GMDX have the skulgun aug?

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Finished playing Revision, no guns nonlethal. The redesigned levels, in particular Paris, the Ocean Base, and Area 51 are really nice, but still feel familiar enough compared to the originals - the cathedral in particular is such a huge improvement over the original. As for complaints about the AI, I never really noticed anything too bad, but I hardly ever engaged directly, usually going for one-shot back hits with the baton or prod. My biggest gripe was the lack of nonlethal ranged options that aren't so trashy, but that's present in the original too.

If you're going to replay this game before trying Mankind Divided this is definitely the way to do it. Just make sure to switch the soundtrack back to the original beforehand.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

After playing GMDX my opinion is that Biomod is sloppy as hell by comparison. I used to like Biomod but now I see it just made an already easy game even easier.
GMDX is a mod that thinks soy food health regen and flashlight energy consumption need to be nerfed.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I could do with a vanilla/multi-mod Zyme comparison.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Best lockpicks in Deus Ex:
1. GEP fun
2. Dragon Tooth Sword
3. LAM
4. LAW
5. Actual lockpicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Best lockpicks in Deus Ex:
1. GEP fun
2. Dragon Tooth Sword
3. LAM
4. LAW
5. Exploit where only one lockpick is used if you open your inventory screen.
6. Actual lockpicks