Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Jonah Galtberg posted:

dont post a source or anything

loving Fine.

It's like a 7-11 situation it seems where the company and Union knew that workers were being underpaid but did nothing about it:

Supermarket giant Coles knew that more than half its workers were underpaid as part of a controversial workplace deal - saving it an estimated $70 million a year.

A report commissioned for Coles shows the company was aware of the extent of the underpayment as it was fighting a major case in the Fair Work Commission in which it was accused of short-changing workers.

The Ernst & Young report from January, marked "confidential", includes detailed data on pay rates across two stores selected by Coles. It showed 56 per cent of workers were underpaid, often by large sums.

The data suggests that about 43,000 of Coles' 77,000 supermarket workers were being paid below the legal award minimum, the basic wages safety net.

The data emerged from a case brought by Duncan Hart, a Coles trolley operator who had appealed to the Fair Work Commission against the tribunal's approval of the Coles workplace deal.

In a landmark decision in May, the Fair Work full bench found the Coles deal with the Shop, Distributive & Allied Employees Association (SDA) had failed the important legal test that requires that workers are better off overall under any new agreement.

It found that some Coles workers faced "significant" underpayment - a fact first revealed by Fairfax Media in 2015.

The Coles deal provided lower (or no) penalty rates for night and weekend shifts. Many of the underpaid workers earn as little as $10,000 to $15,000 a year, including working on checkouts, night fill or as cleaners.

Coles is Australia's third largest employer and the extent of what Coles knew about the underpayment, and when, is an ongoing legal issue with a new case underway in the tribunal.

The company and union signed statutory declarations in mid-2015 to the effect that all workers were better off from the deal.

Brisbane night fill worker Penny Vickers, an SDA delegate, said workers did not know they would be underpaid when they voted to approve the deal.

"This is dreadful, what happened," she said. "It's not appropriate to pay less than the award and hide that from employees."

"Why wasn't it brought to our attention? Why were we were asked to vote for an agreement that pays less than the award," she asked. "I'd have never voted for an agreement that would pay me less than the award."

A Coles spokesman defended the deal.

"It is our firm belief that all monetary and non-monetary benefits should be taken into account as well as wages when assessing the overall value of the benefits Coles provides its team members," he said.

The Fair Work decision gave limited weight to the non-monetary benefits of the Coles deal as it found part-time and casual workers, who make up 80 per cent of the Coles workforce, were hardest hit.

Tim Lyons, Per Capita research fellow and a former ACTU assistant secretary, said Coles would have known all along the effect of its workplace deal on its bottom line and on wages.

"This is an incredibly sophisticated company, they make these claims with the aim of reducing wages costs. Any sense they would have been shocked by the decision - that is just bullshit."

Mr Lyons said the SDA needed to take some responsibility for agreeing to Coles' demands. But he said the bulk of the blame lay with Coles and the Fair Work tribunal which originally approved the agreement.

"They would know the effect these [terms] would have on their bottom-line wage costs," Mr Lyons said of Coles. "In the end, the main responsibility lies with the boss."

As part of the recent Fair Work case, lawyers for Coles commissioned Ernst & Young partner Bruno Cecchini to analyse and report on store rosters from Benalla and Northcote.

The raw data from the January report, analysed by Fairfax Media, shows that the average underpayment was $1497 a year. Taken across all its stores, that works out to between $64 million to $70 million a year.

Industrial researcher Josh Cullinan, who helped bring the original case against Coles, estimates the underpayment to be worth between $70 million to $100 million a year.

The overall results are likely to be conservative as the two stores featured in the case study have relatively limited trading hours.

Since the full bench decision in late May, Coles has refused to negotiate a new agreement with the union. Workers have instead been reverted to a 2011 agreement with Coles undertaking to keep the higher base pay rates from the 2015 deal.

Ms Vickers has now taken action at the Fair Work Commission to terminate that 2011 agreement.

A successful challenge would result in Coles workers being moved onto the award which pays lower hourly base rates of pay but much higher penalties and night payments.

The confidential Coles figures are embarrassing for the SDA which has consistently argued that the "vast majority" of its members were better off under the deal.

It also raises questions about a string of similar agreements across the retail and fast food sectors.

The full bench ruling has rocked the conservative union, which is renowned for its social agenda, including opposition to same-sex marriage. It recently said it would no longer have a position on the issue.

That allowed the ACTU this week to finally come out in support of marriage equality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

dont post a source or anything

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

Netflix is $10 a month.

My Usenet block account is $50 a year and gets stuff sooner.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
My lying on the ground and crying all day is free.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

The Peccadillo posted:

Sounds like it's pretty clear why Australian TV isn't very good from this sentence right here, dude

Can you please write angry emails to all the advertisers, networks and productions houses?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Brownblitzkrieg if its in your power can you let somebody know to stop padding out the funny internet clip shows with english standups or at least keep playing the animal footage while the unfunny assholes do their hot takes as a voice over or from a bubble in the corner like a japanese tv show? Thanks

HO HO HO, how I wish it were. Also, I didn't know those shows existed until right now. They sound like they would make me long for Australia's Funniest Home Videos and Gladiators.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

But why is this the case? Is there a .ppt somewhere that shows that turning the dumb-o-meter up to 11 results in more advertising dollar?

WHY are you producing such absolute crap? Is there not a market for something more nuanced? Or is it just easier....

Not in Australia, it seems. Or rather, in Aus that market is too small compared to the much bigger market of self-entitled fuckos who slobber our poo poo down while sitting on their couches and gaining weight.*

Sanguine posted:

A part would have to be that when you're financially on the back foot is easier to focus on cutting costs. Get some bozos to write the worst junk, and air that using real-world sets.

This is it. Also, Howard changed a bunch of rules about what counts as Australian content, so instead of having quotas for comedy and drama etc, it's just quotas for Australian content. If we do a reality show, the contestants pay for their own wardrobe, pay for the location (we often shoot in their house), often pay for their own ingredients if it's a food show like Come Dine With Me, and get little to no recompense for all of this. So what do you think we're going to choose to make? Something scripted where we have to pay for a bunch of people to film, or something where we get shitloads of things/people for free? And because the great mass of fuckos out there are just watching TV, I suspect, out of habit, they'll just watch whatever's on. And I suspect that serving this broadcast version of The Grid to them is making them even dumber, but what can I do? I try to only work on ob.doc and factual, but I have to put food on the table for my family.**

*This fatshaming brought to you by a fat slob who is shamefully just about hit 120 kilos.

**Also, hi thread. I have a babby on the way.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

*This fatshaming brought to you by a fat slob who is shamefully just about hit 120 kilos.

**Also, hi thread. I have a babby on the way.

Congrats, must feel like an important milestone in your life!

Also yeah nice work on getting someone knocked up or whatevs.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Laserface posted:

Get plex and Sickbeard and never deal with bullshit television again you clowns.

I guess someone has to keep the species going, all the intelligent professionals are not having kids.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Kommando posted:

I guess someone has to keep the species going, all the intelligent professionals are not having kids.

:iceburn:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Can you please write angry emails to all the advertisers, networks and productions houses?

Who?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

This is it. Also, Howard changed a bunch of rules about what counts as Australian content, so instead of having quotas for comedy and drama etc, it's just quotas for Australian content. If we do a reality show, the contestants pay for their own wardrobe, pay for the location (we often shoot in their house), often pay for their own ingredients if it's a food show like Come Dine With Me, and get little to no recompense for all of this. So what do you think we're going to choose to make? Something scripted where we have to pay for a bunch of people to film, or something where we get shitloads of things/people for free? And because the great mass of fuckos out there are just watching TV, I suspect, out of habit, they'll just watch whatever's on. And I suspect that serving this broadcast version of The Grid to them is making them even dumber, but what can I do? I try to only work on ob.doc and factual, but I have to put food on the table for my family.

You actually are extremely aware of why our programming is horseshit, I agree with you that it's horseshit, but I'm not sure who you're lashing out at

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

The Peccadillo posted:

You actually are extremely aware of why our programming is horseshit, I agree with you that it's horseshit, but I'm not sure who you're lashing out at

Isn't it obvious?

Howard, execs, and the viewing public.

Also it looks like I maybe quoted the wrong person for that response, I don't know. I don't post much so I'm not very good at it. In fact I'm not even regulsr good at it.

This was a good vent though. Johngoodman.jpg

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 20, 2016

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Isn't it obvious?

Howard, execs, and the viewing public.

I think you said you purposefully produce terrible content for people you hate, intentionally, as a rule

That definitely ain't everyone else's fault

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

The Peccadillo posted:

I think you said you purposefully produce terrible content for people you hate, intentionally, as a rule

That definitely ain't everyone else's fault

Nah, you just misread it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I personally challenge BOC to make a good thing, that other people may enjoy

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Marriage can only be between a man and a women and is an important and sacred institution in the country *watches married at first sight

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

also hahahaha man is there a couple of great points coming up in the next nazi post

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Turnbull government will push back the date of the proposed same-sex marriage plebiscite until February 2017, breaking a flagship pledge.

The Prime Minister had said he wanted the vote to be held this year.

However a spokesperson for Mr Turnbull told Fairfax Media that Special Minister of State, Scott Ryan, received advice last week from the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) advising the government to push the vote back.

"The government has always said that a decision on same-sex marriage will be made by a vote of all Australians in a national plebiscite to be held as soon as practicable," the spokesperson said.

"That commitment has not changed. Late last week, the AEC provided advice to the Special Minister of State that strongly recommended against the conduct of a plebiscite this calendar year."

News Corp reported on Sunday that a timeline for the vote would now be announced in September and that the question expected to be asked is: "Do you approve of a law to permit people of the same sex to marry?"

The report said the government rejected other options for questions – including those relating to gender – following focus groups.

However the government on Saturday night denied that a date or a question had been finalised.

"The mechanics of the plebiscite, including the specific question and also the timing, are subject to the usual cabinet processes," Mr Turnbull's spokesperson told Fairfax Media.

"No decisions have as yet been made."

The $160 million plebiscite remains controversial inside and outside the Coalition, with reports in June suggesting some government MPs would ignore the will of the people if same-sex marriage was approved via the compulsory vote.

Opponents of the vote say it will fuel bigotry and homophobia.

Despite a split among gay marriage supporters about the need for the vote – opponents argue the matter should be decided by Parliament – a structured "yes" campaign is already forming ahead of the formal announcement of the vote date.

The ALP still hopes Parliament will decide the matter, with Opposition Leader Bill Shorten intent on pushing through a private members' bill to legalise gay marriage with a vote of MPs.

Mr Shorten has called the vote "Malcolm Turnbull's Brexit", seizing on similarities between Mr Turnbull and the former British prime minister David Cameron, who reluctantly called for the Brexit vote to appease his party, only to have the move backfire.

Mr Turnbull has been quoted as saying he expected the same-sex vote to "sail through".

For the plebiscite to go ahead, both the Senate and the House of Representatives must approve it. MPs must then return to Parliament to rubber stamp the outcome, the point at which it is feared Coalition opponents may block a "yes" vote.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-21/pm-office-denies-report-gay-marriage-plebiscite-delay/7770038

quote:

Media reports have today suggested Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull would push the $160 million plebiscite back until February next year, after saying during the election he would try to hold it this year.

In a statement, the Prime Minister's office re-affirmed the Government's commitment to a national plebiscite being held "as soon as practicable".

"The mechanics of the plebiscite, including the specific question and also the timing, are subject to the usual Cabinet processes," the statement said.

"No decisions have as yet been made."

However, it did confirm the Australian Electoral Commission last week provided advice to Special Minister of State Scott Ryan that strongly recommended against a plebiscite being held this year.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Since the census needs to be re-done, just add a question to the end about equal marriage rights.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Kommando posted:

Since the census needs to be re-done, just add a question to the end about equal marriage rights.

Hmmmm there seem to be a lot of houses that are both super religious and had sixty people staying at the address this census night

Nothing suspicious here

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kommando posted:

I use sickbeard I was more making a point that it's relatively easy to get quality TV from other countries without paying Murdoch a dime for his bullshit.

It's pretty great not having to watch yet another show about aspiring white people crying over cooking/renovations.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
lol the banner headline on the Weekend Australian has some top-tier spin. Public-Sector Growth Fuels Debt Crisis: Jobs Surge at Expense of Taxpayers

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Peccadillo posted:

I personally challenge BOC to make a good thing, that other people may enjoy

he made that joe hildebrand thing i think

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Kommando posted:

the abs didn't even have the money to do the first census, no chance they're doing another

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Recoome posted:

Marriage can only be between a man and a women and is an important and sacred institution in the country *watches married at first sight

Changes channel to Seven Year Switch; watches guy get cucked on national TV.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

lol the banner headline on the Weekend Australian has some top-tier spin. Public-Sector Growth Fuels Debt Crisis: Jobs Surge at Expense of Taxpayers

This makes so many weird turns that it reaches the point where I think you can legitimately read it as pro-dole bludger. Not even pro-unemployed, SPECIFICALLY pro-dole bludger.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cleretic posted:

This makes so many weird turns that it reaches the point where I think you can legitimately read it as pro-dole bludger. Not even pro-unemployed, SPECIFICALLY pro-dole bludger.

JUST after we've had an excellent demonstration of what happens when you cut the public sector ie Census. What timing they have.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

HuffPost Australia has an article on "rentvesting" which claims "more and more" young Australians are "renting, taking out a loan, buying a cheap house with it, using the rent they get from the cheap place to pay for their own rent & the loan" and the real estate market is calling this trend "smart"

Also today I learned there is a HuffPost Australia. Why??

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

So I keep hearing that 'right wing extremists' are just as likely to engage in terrorism and Mus_lims. Well actually...

And the common denominator is............

The Shoe Bomber was a Muslim
The Beltway Snipers were Muslims
The Fort Hood Shooter was a Muslim
The underwear Bomber was a Muslim
The U-S.S. Cole Bombers were Muslims
The Madrid Train Bombers were Muslims
The Bafi Nightclub Bombers were Muslims
The London Subway Bombers were Muslims
The Moscow Theatre Attackers were Muslims
The Boston Marathon Bombers were Muslims
The Pan-Am flight #93 Bombers were Muslims
The Air France Entebbe Hijackers were Muslims
The Iranian Embassy Takeover, was by Muslims
The Beirut U.S. Embassy bombers were Muslims
The Libyan U.S. Embassy Attack was by Musiims
The Buenos Aires Suicide Bombers were Muslims
The Israeli Olympic Team Attackers were Muslims
The Kenyan U.S, Embassy Bombers were Muslims
The Saudi, Khobar Towers Bombers were Muslims
The Beirut Marine Barracks bombers were Muslims
The Besian Russian School Attackers were Muslims
The first World Trade Center Bombers were Muslims
The Bombay & Mumbai India Attackers were Muslims
The Achille Lauro Cruise Ship Hijackers were Muslims
The September 11th 2001 Airline Hijackers were Muslims

Think of it:

Buddhists living with Hindus = No Problem
Hindus living with Christians = No Problem
Hindus living with Jews = No Problem
Christians living with Shintos = No Problem
Shintos living with Confucians = No Problem
Confusians living with Baha'is = No Problem
Baha'is living with Jews = No Problem
Jews living with Atheists = No Problem
Atheists living with Buddhists = No Problem
Buddhists living with Sikhs = No Problem
Sikhs living with Hindus = No Problem
Hindus living with Baha'is = No Problem
Baha'is living with Christians = No Problem
Christians living with Jews = No Problem
Jews living with Buddhists = No Problem
Buddhists living with Shintos = No Problem
Shintos living with Atheists = No Problem
Atheists living with Confucians = No Problem
Confusians living with Hindus = No Problem

Muslims living with Hindus = Problem
Muslims living with Buddhists = Problem
Muslims living with Christians = Problem
Muslims living with Jews = Problem
Muslims living with Sikhs = Problem
Muslims living with Baha'is = Problem
Muslims living with Shintos = Problem
Muslims living with Atheists = Problem
MUSLIMS LIVING WITH MUSLIMS = BIG PROBLEM

**********SO THIS LEADS TO *****************

They’re not happy in Gaza
They're not happy in Egypt
They're not happy in Libya
They're not happy in Morocco
They're not happy in Iran
They're not happy in Iraq
They're not happy in Yemen
They're not happy in Afghanistan
They're not happy in Pakistan
They're not happy in Syria
They're not happy in Lebanon
They're not happy in Nigeria
They're not happy in Kenya
They're not happy in Sudan
******** So, where are they happy? **********

They're happy in Australia
They're happy in England
They're happy in Belgium
They're happy in France
They're happy in Italy
They're happy in Germany
They're happy in Sweden
They're happy in the USA & Canada
They're happy in Norway & India
They're happy in almost every country that is not Islamic! And who do they blame? Not Islam... Not their leadership... Not themselves... THEY BLAME THE COUNTRIES THEY ARE HAPPY IN!!
And they want to change the countries they're happy in, to be like the countries they came from where they were unhappy and finally they will be get hammered !!!!

Islamic Jihad: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
ISIS: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Al-Qaeda: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Taliban: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Hamas: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Hezbollah: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Boko Haram: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Al-Nusra: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Abu Sayyaf: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Al-Badr: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Muslim Brotherhood: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Lashkar-e-Taiba: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Palestine Liberation Front: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Ansaru: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Jemaah Islamiyah: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
Abdullah Azzam Brigades: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION
AND A LOT MORE!!!!!!!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

source your quotes

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

iajanus posted:

source your quotes

The book of Pauline, 14:88

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I'm confused, is china happy or not?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sanguine posted:

China is eternally strong, traitor.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Sanguine posted:

Funny that didn't go into detail about Uighurs or Rohingya.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Frogfingers posted:

Funny that didn't go into detail about Uighurs or Rohingya.
In all fairness they may have been putting their pants on their head when that issue came up.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Muslims living with Buddhists = Problem

I'm not sure why the Muslims being killed by Buddhists in Sri Lanka and Burma is the Muslims' fault. Little help here?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Starshark posted:

I'm not sure why the Muslims being killed by Buddhists in Sri Lanka and Burma is the Muslims' fault. Little help here?

it involved muslims so it was their fault, hope that helped

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Because the Buddhists are a peace loving people who know that the only way to stop the Islamisation (and therefore radicalisation) of their country is to murder the lot of them. Dontcha know?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Recoome posted:

MUSLIMS LIVING WITH MUSLIMS = BIG PROBLEM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years%27_War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Australia has attempted to derail a ban on nuclear weapons at a UN meeting on disarmament, by single-handedly forcing a vote on a report that had been expected to pass unanimously.

The report, which recommended negotiations begin in 2017 to ban nuclear weapons, was eventually passed by 68 votes to 22. An Austrian-led push for the treaty had reached a milestone on Friday, when the report was presented to representatives of 103 nations in Geneva.

Australia defends opposition to global push for nuclear weapons ban
Read more
Moves towards a ban have been pursued because many saw little progress under the existing non-proliferation treaty, which obliges the five declared nuclear states to “pursue negotiations in good faith” towards “cessation of the nuclear arms race … and nuclear disarmament”.

The proposal recommended a conference be held next year to negotiate “a legally binding instrument to prohibit nuclear weapons, leading towards their total elimination”.

The text was carefully negotiated, and compromise was attempted on contentious paragraphs.

Anti-nuclear campaigners involved in the process expected the report would pass without objection. But Australia surprised observers by objecting and forcing a vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/21/australia-attempts-to-derail-un-plan-to-ban-nuclear-weapons

what the gently caress

• Locked thread