Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Only took us ~3.5 years to get a way to not have to hunt through dozens of 'Mechs to find the one you use the most.

What a time to be alive. PGI A+ number one best game developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

How many mechs do you guys have that you're having trouble finding them???

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Trucker-mom

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Ghost trucker mom owns.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Atlas (all variants): Can now equip all Inner Sphere Faction Camo Patterns.

Worth it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

IMO the short version is the more amusing part, but anyway:

This was back in the fall that MWO went from beta to "release". Lang was doing that weird project that looked like Mech Commander: Amateur Hour but for some dumb reason it was supposed to be a 3rd person pilot a single mech sort of thing. I don't think he had a good grasp of what he was trying to do with it, or at best he has 0 skill in pitching a project.

Here it is. Last updated in late 2013. What happened Sean?

Anyway, so he fails in explaining the point of this thing and I'm mentally wary at this point. Unfortunately I try to be polite in these situations so I continue talking to him about it. At the time I didn't have a lot of 3D work up, but I showed him what I had and I linked him some rough cut stuff too, rigging tests on super low poly stuff...

Now let me provide some evidence here, for context.

Now I know it's not much but it is something and it is easily on par with the 2 models they got made before they dropped the project. I also had animation reels as well. Here's a rough break down of the conversation. MWO Shill should be read in the voice of that boss from Office Space.

D:Yeah so here's the link to my portfolio, this is just the 3D stuff...
MWO Shill: ....ummm yeah, you should have a web portfolio...
D: well, here's some youtube links to stuff that isn't finished yet.
D: ...and here's some animation reels, on my portfolio...
MWO Shill: (spends 5 minutes telling me about the importance of having an online portfolio)

I don't remember how we got on the subject of Great Houses but before he hung up I mentioned that I'm associated with House Liao. I don't think he picked up the hint.

Oh god, I remember hearing about that project and a friend linking me to a youtube video they had up of a demo and it looked baaaaaad. What a loving doucher though, does Lang even have any creative skills? Besides the obvious sucking cock ones.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I've found an interesting build for the King Crab 000B that I haven't seen elsewhere, and which is specifically good on this variant (most KGC builds are best on one of the other two):

KGC-000B - Midrange

The key is the +30% ballistic velocity that particular variant gets. It's supposed to help the AC/20, but it really shines on the AC/10s, since their base speed is kinda meh for their range. The Large Lasers share the same range, and if you equip a cooldown module for the AC/10s you get pretty well synced shots. It's pretty hot, but you can either take cover (if you're at your appropriate range) or just lay off the lasers and stick to the autocannons for a couple salvos.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 21, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

aniviron posted:

How many mechs do you guys have that you're having trouble finding them???

Considering you need 3 variants of each chassis to Elite them, and I rarely, if ever, sell 'Mechs...I probably have at least 60.

EDIT: I just saw they're doing "Mech-Con", and holy poo poo the tickets are half of a Dragon*Con (4 day Con) ticket for a 13 hour con!

Devorum fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 21, 2016

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Skoll posted:

What a loving doucher though, does Lang even have any creative skills? Besides the obvious sucking cock ones.

Do not sully my favorite pastime by associating it with Lang.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Tourmaline Desert is my personal hell.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Artificer posted:

I raise you alpine peaks.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Skoll posted:

What a loving doucher though, does Lang even have any creative skills? Besides the obvious sucking cock ones.

Not that I know of. Some buddy of his made those unity renders but that dude was, according to Lang, "had a lot on his plate". Which means dude has a life and a job and ain't got time for that fan boi poo poo.

And that's all it was; fan boi pipe dreaming. Lang is totally an "idea man". It wasn't even a fleshed out idea.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
If you thought that Lang thing looked at all interesting, or would like to play an isometric mech sim that isn't made by a prolapsed anus, I recommend Brigador, which is extremely fun, extremely stompy, and on sale right now.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can second Brigador looks fun as gently caress. The art for it is amazing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Sonderval story night makes this game so good. I laughed so hard I cried.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Artificer posted:

that's my favourite map, it's nothing but sneaky angles for brutal ambush

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

There are plenty of hills at least on Alphine. On Tourmaline there are poo poo ton of tiny little perches for people to snipe at you from when you're in one of the fairly wide stretches of open land. Also pubbies don't know how to handle it.

The Alphine Hill thunderdome for those with jumpjets and stuff is a lot of fun.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Artificer posted:

There are plenty of hills at least on Alphine. On Tourmaline there are poo poo ton of tiny little perches for people to snipe at you from when you're in one of the fairly wide stretches of open land. Also pubbies don't know how to handle it.

The only time those perches are a problem is if you're playing Domination or your pubbies are really dumb and bunch up too much/peek and poke forever until they die. Tourmaline is flanking central.

Hint: those perches are also decent cover from the bottom side because their hitboxes are larger than they seem.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

The only time those perches are a problem is if you're playing Domination or your pubbies are really dumb and bunch up too much/peek and poke forever until they die. Tourmaline is flanking central.

Hint: those perches are also decent cover from the bottom side because their hitboxes are larger than they seem.

Guess what pubbies do all the loving time. Oh no we're getting shot from all directions better hunker down and poke occasionally rather than pick a direction and pushing.

Also gently caress I've played for way too much way too long. I'm tier 2 now. :negative:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Chiming in about Brigador, it also has a totally kickin' soundtrack by MVS and is worth it for that alone.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Finished basicing the Boar's head, moving on to DDC, which of course must first be dekkel'd.

I don't think folks give the moon dekkal enough credit.

Not nearly enough.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Skoll posted:

For reference, this is the super simple 0XP build I use. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=311&l=5fe5717ea843b3a84fadca033bbf5b5731d49054

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I run straight-up this with -1 DHS +1 ton of ammo. Cataphract has always been my best heavy and before the 0XP came out I was running an identical 1X except with another medium laser in place of the ECM, but having the ECM is a nice safety blanket.

I wonder if the loyalty one with MASC instead of the ECM and an identical weapon setup will be worth it?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Wait...the loyalty Stalker has ECM? Almost sad I don't qualify for that one.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Artificer posted:

Alpine peaks is literally a hosed up version of Smash Bros final destination stage. Its flat and encourages really loving boring sniper shitfests.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

axelsoar posted:

Finished basicing the Boar's head, moving on to DDC, which of course must first be dekkel'd.

Not nearly enough.

:perfect:

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

axelsoar posted:

Not nearly enough.

Upcoming patch notes :

-Removed decals from game. Thanks for all the money guys!

Typical :pgi: thing to do.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

Sonderval story night makes this game so good. I laughed so hard I cried.

Sad I missed this. The Sonderval is an awesome and funny goon!

Browsing that leader board for the event and the top 5 in each weight class are all clan mechs save for the Locust.

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 21, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TeeMerk posted:

Browsing that leader board for the event and the top 5 in each weight class are all clan mechs save for the Locust.

Sonderval is why I keep playing this shitheap. That's why I always ask him if he's drunk when he shows up.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Speaking of Sean Lang, he recently posted this in a reddit thread about an energy draw opinion video:

quote:

SeanLangNo Guts No Galaxy 6 poäng 12 timmar sen
Great video as always. Just a heads up, many small changes will be coming for PTS 2. I'm sure details will be posted asap on the forums, but I can tell you guys that feedback like this is great and can't wait to test out the next batch of changes!

quote:

[–]So1ahmaShillahma 3 poäng 4 timmar sen
What about /u/tarogato and /u/celyth more critical views? Are those being weighed in, because they seem to be the most agreed upon in this community.

quote:

[–]SeanLangNo Guts No Galaxy 3 poäng 3 timmar sen
Read them and took notes as well and passed it on. Second PTS will be addressing the concerns.

So, on the plus side, it's not going in as-is - there will be changes, and there will be at least a second PTS session. On the minus side, "many small changes" doesn't sound too promising.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

NihilCredo posted:

So, on the plus side, it's not going in as-is

:allears:

But seriously, I suppose there's a first time for everything.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TeeMerk posted:

Just higher variance. They also have a lot of the worst, including the Mist Lynx, which is the absolute worst mech in the game according to those same leaderboards.

Been saying this since clan tech launched, as long as PGI sticks to locked engine sizes, equipment, endo, and ferro, clan tech will never be balanced. Right now the best mechs are still a touch too good because they have all the upgrades and the right engine sizes, so they're like IS mechs with slightly better weapons. But they can't nerf the weapons because the other 70% of clan mechs can't take endo or ferro or have lovely engine sizes or six locked in JJs and active probes, so they need the weapons to be better.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

aniviron posted:

Just higher variance. They also have a lot of the worst, including the Mist Lynx, which is the absolute worst mech in the game according to those same leaderboards.

Been saying this since clan tech launched, as long as PGI sticks to locked engine sizes, equipment, endo, and ferro, clan tech will never be balanced. Right now the best mechs are still a touch too good because they have all the upgrades and the right engine sizes, so they're like IS mechs with slightly better weapons. But they can't nerf the weapons because the other 70% of clan mechs can't take endo or ferro or have lovely engine sizes or six locked in JJs and active probes, so they need the weapons to be better.

Mixtech is the solution :can:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Appearently there are now assault mechs in Boxes.
Not that you would ever get one, just saying i had 2 with an executioner and a banshee in them.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Appearently there are now assault mechs in Boxes.
Not that you would ever get one, just saying i had 2 with an executioner and a banshee in them.

You can get anything in boxes. You'll probably just get the right arm of an Ice Ferret, but you could roll on that Awesome.

I generally reserve my keys for boxes that have both a mech and another mechbay in them, as well as some quantity of MC. So far I basically always get 250k cbills/

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

aniviron posted:

I'm curious what clan mechs you think are a touch too good.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

The usual suspects.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

A.o.D. posted:

The usual suspects.

Ice Ferret and HBK-IIC

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm pretty much saving all my keys and boxes until they add the rarity viewer in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

If I had to guess, the usual suspects are the KDK-3, for being able to cram an enormous clan XL in a mech with great hardpoints, leaving you with a durable, fast, hard-hitting assault. It's not so much unbalanced as the best in class that everything else has to be measured against. The only other one I can think of that's as obvious is the arctic cheetah in lights, which takes a slightly slower speed for having all the things you'd want from a light mech.

• Locked thread