Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Butt Ox posted:

Plutonis up there already spoiled half of DiU on the second page, so

i think that was edited away pretty quickly, anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that bad boy is still there

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think that was edited away pretty quickly, anyways

It's still there and it was quoted like 6 times. There's someone who caught up with the show and said they were reading through the thread from the start, I feel sorry for them

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao, so it is

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I left it up because, at the time, I figured the payoff would be so far off that most people who didn't already know it to be true would forget about it, and erasing it would mean anyone who had read it would know it was the genuine article.

Personally, I feel like spoilers are the molehill of choice for people to make into mountains these days. With the exception of maybe murder mysteries, I can't think of anything I've ever been spoiled for that actually lessened my enjoyment of the thing in question. If a story's well-written and you care about the characters, what transpires should still affect you even if you know it's coming, even when revisiting the material.

So yeah, I don't think spoilers are that big a deal, and most spoilers that get reported I just edit out or tag. Most (though not all) of the people I actually slap for spoiler chat typically get slapped more for their attitude rather than whatever it was they posted.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I recognize your "Playing it off" was mostly an attempt at damage control, Johnny, but even so phrasing it like that wasn't gonna do the conversation any favors.

Next time I promise to have another panel ready.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I left it up because, at the time, I figured the payoff would be so far off that most people who didn't already know it to be true would forget about it, and erasing it would mean anyone who had read it would know it was the genuine article.

Personally, I feel like spoilers are the molehill of choice for people to make into mountains these days. With the exception of maybe murder mysteries, I can't think of anything I've ever been spoiled for that actually lessened my enjoyment of the thing in question. If a story's well-written and you care about the characters, what transpires should still affect you even if you know it's coming, even when revisiting the material.

So yeah, I don't think spoilers are that big a deal, and most spoilers that get reported I just edit out or tag. Most (though not all) of the people I actually slap for spoiler chat typically get slapped more for their attitude rather than whatever it was they posted.

This is my attitude towards them.
Though I think if you care so much to discuss something at length, you can take that time to read it in its invariably superior format.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 21, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I mean, if we're arguing about that, there's no argument.

Read the manga.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Part of the fun of the anime thread is seeing the first-time reactions from people though, and I want the precious, adorable new people to be protected like they deserve.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Read the manga thread

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the manga thread people are desolate souls, while the anime people are pure diamonds

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

More like the manga thread are brilliant noble Wamuus and the animeonlies are lovely little Caesars

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My hot take is I really don't care about anime watcher reactions.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I care about AnimeCentrul and his reaction because he's funny.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
anything to spice up the same old memes

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kono duwang da!!!!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I care about AnimeCentrul and his reaction because he's funny.

yoooo

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I said that the latter half of DiU would never have happened if josuke and okuyasu weren't such liars but realistically it also wouldn't have happened if Kira's gf didn't break that sandwich wrapper

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

no they will not posted:

I said that the latter half of DiU would never have happened if josuke and okuyasu weren't such liars but realistically it also wouldn't have happened if Kira's gf didn't break that sandwich wrapper

she really should keep her hands to herself

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The anime is better than the manga

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

get this hot head out of here

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The anime is better than the manga

both are good

edit: also I hadn't noticed how much american psycho that chapter was, araki is basically just recreating the latest movies he saw isn't he.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

both are good

edit: also I hadn't noticed how much american psycho that chapter was, araki is basically just recreating the latest movies he saw isn't he.

Wasn't the film made long after DiU, though?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Wasn't the film made long after DiU, though?

Yes. DiU was 1992 - 1995. American Psycho was 2000.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The novel was published in 1991, and Araki's talked about how his parents used to read him Western literature as a kid. No idea if it was ever translated into Japanese, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was, that Araki had read it before fully establishing Kira.

I mean, both Kira and Bateman expound at length at the minutiae of the things they do to fit neatly into their societies the way they want to and how acting that way torments them, less so Kira, as they are mentally compelled to act out so part of me feels like it's more than a coincidence, but who knows really

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I suppose it's possible that Araki had read the novel, but on the other hand it's equally possible that both he and Ellis drew from the same well of hosed-upness.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Araki also later copied the book Holes for the backstory of one of DIO's sons in part 6. It was a couple years before the movie came out, so he must have been keeping up with the latest American teen fiction.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I'd be shocked to find out Kira wasn't at least in some way influenced by American Psycho. For gently caress's sake, it's a book about a serial killer who takes entire chapters to discuss his favorite rock bands. That's like Araki-catnip.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

that bad boy is still there

lmao

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bad Seafood posted:

I recognize your "Playing it off" was mostly an attempt at damage control, Johnny, but even so phrasing it like that wasn't gonna do the conversation any favors.

Next time I promise to have another panel ready.

oh, yeah, i have no issue with being probated. i was just making a stupid joke, didn't really expect some rando poster to pop up and freak out about spoilers or whatever the hell was going on there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

guys i've not read jojolion 57 please stop discussion of all jojo media thank you

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i haven't read jojolion

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i quit Jojolion sometime around shakedown round and am just waiting for it to conclude so i can read it all at once

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

a cartoon duck posted:

i quit Jojolion sometime around shakedown round and am just waiting for it to conclude so i can read it all at once

same but the beetle fight, I think

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
hot jojolion spoilers

it seems pretty alright

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Jojolion spoiler alert: Joshuu is a bad person.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Frionnel posted:

Jojolion spoiler alert: Joshuu is a bad person.

yet many of us feel some affection for him now which is a very weird space to occupy

I mean liking bad guys is one thing but Joshuu is... Joshuu

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

joshu owns

but we're not allowed to talk about it incase an animefriend misclicks shhhhh

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
joshu a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Butt Ox posted:

joshu a poo poo

Nice to meet you joshu