Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

GalacticAcid posted:

Looks like he was on his account about 4 hours ago, there's a bunch of manual RT's which are his trademark.

What makes you say he is now Twitterless?

I guess I didn't see any mention ITT.

I know some people with silly names though.

This is nice news from the last page though: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/republicans-prep-break-glass-emergency-plan-as-trump-tumbles-227217

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

"We're going to do it this time! We swear! "

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, even described in glowing terms by someone who was there, the whole thing sounds like the decadent trivialities of a youth culture unaware of its own extreme privilege.

You rioted at a concert over expensive bottled water for Christ's sake

It wasn't even angry rioting. People just really wanted to run around half or totally naked. I was sixteen at the time, so maybe I saw it rosier than it was, but you're right. Your first paragraph covers the mindset very well.

Trevor Hale posted:

Yeah, well, explain Limp Bizkit.

The nookie. We covered this. Try to keep up.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Otteration posted:

I guess I didn't see any mention ITT.

I know some people with silly names though.

This is nice news from the last page though: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/republicans-prep-break-glass-emergency-plan-as-trump-tumbles-227217

Bringing us full circle on "Silly Names" chat:

GOP Rep. Bob Dold.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McAlister posted:

$125 an hour is about right for what the customer pays. The staffing agency and/or overhead takes a bite out of it before the programmer gets paid.

The funniest part is that he apparently mocked how Obama had spent "billions" (!?) on his websites. And it is not a very good site. I have worked on much larger and more complex sites that we billed much less for. Good on that firm for totally bilking him though. I guess they're better businessmen than Trump. Giles-Parscale for President(s) 2020

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
So about that web development work, xpost from the Trump thread.

Hamelekim posted:

Interesting that the website company is owned by Tump's digital director.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/767224983617691648

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/767239054320623616

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
I'm probably going to do canvassing for the first time tomorrow. The lady hasn't called me to tell me where to meet her yet but I presume she will.

Advice?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

McAlister posted:

I'm probably going to do canvassing for the first time tomorrow. The lady hasn't called me to tell me where to meet her yet but I presume she will.

Advice?

The people who hate you will just not talk to you and the people who do not hate you will. You might get one or two real big assholes but otherwise its a relatively painless experience.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Pakled posted:

How on earth :psyduck:

Is this a case of massive embezzlement, or is it because Trump micromanaged the hell out of it?

Trump just wants to be like his best bro Putin. Comically corrupt. It's no solid gold highway to Sochi corrupt but baby steps.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The 90s are going to be the decade that takes the 50s place as the idealized decade once all the Boomers die won't it? Except we'll be right. :colbert:

late genx and early millenials are the new baby boomers

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, even described in glowing terms by someone who was there, the whole thing sounds like the decadent trivialities of a youth culture unaware of its own extreme privilege.

Yeah opposed to the older generations who would go on lethal riots at concerts for better reasons like the band being late or you paid the security in beer

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Trabisnikof posted:

you paid the security in beer

to be fair that was the security itself doing the rioting

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

to be fair that was the security itself doing the rioting

Well that does actually fit with the excess of "police forces" at the time, so maybe we're on to something here

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah opposed to the older generations who would go on lethal riots at concerts for better reasons like the band being late or you paid the security in beer

or just because they hated disco

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy poo poo i looked up giles-parscale on glassdoor and their one reported graphic designer salary was $120k

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The breakdown: http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/hillary-clinton-allies-outpace-team-trump-fundraising-n635346. And this lil tidbit.

quote:

Trump doesn't have much to spend money on. He has not built out a ground game in critical battle ground states, has yet to open a significant number of field offices and doesn't believe in data operations. He just went on the air with his first television advertisements this week with a $4 million ad buy in four states, which was not accounted for in the July numbers.

The $18 million Trump did spend in July, compared to Clinton's $38 million, went mostly to staff payroll at his New York headquarters (as opposed to out in the field) and consultants. A digital company called Giles-Parscale received a massive portion of Trump's campaign cash. He spent just over $8 million - nearly half of his July expenditures - on the firm that he has employed for his businesses since 2011.

Trump had his best month yet in terms of revenues and expenditures, does literally nothing that will win him votes with yet.

The GOP is looking pretty good though:

quote:

Hillary Clinton:
Raised in July: $52.3 million
Raised in June: $36.4 million
Spent in July: $38.2 million
Cash on Hand: $58.5

Donald Trump:
Raised in July: $36.6 million
Raised in June: $26.7 million
Spent in July: $18.5 million
Cash on Hand: $38.4 million

Democratic National Committee
Raised in July: $32.3 million
Raised in June: $11 million
Spent in July: $30 million
Cash on Hand: $10.1 million

Republican National Committee:
Raised in July: $27.2 million
Raised in June: $17.2 million
Spent in July: $13.8 million
Cash on Hand: $34.5 million

SUPER PACS
Pro-Clinton super PAC Priorities USA:
Raised in July: $9.9 million
Raised in June: $12 million
Spent in July: $11.4 million
Cash on Hand: $38.7 million

Pro-Trump super PAC Make America Number 1
Raised in July: $2 million (Robert Mercer)
Raised in June: $97.00
Spent in July: $300K
Cash on Hand: $2.8 million

Pro-Trump super PAC Great America PAC:
Raised in July: $2.47 million
Raised in June: $2.56 million
Spent in July: $2.74 million
Cash on Hand: $983K

I don't think Trump is going to get national support from the GOP, and they're likely to blitz local elections as November draws nearer.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaRcgw0QAqY

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I always wonder how modern teenagers would react to Fight Club. It was such a bible of 90s prosperity era angst that must seem completely alien to them now.
For what it's worth, I watched a chunk of Daria episodes with a PostMillenial a year or so back. She didn't really find the cynical biting humor all that funny and wanted to know exactly why the well educated daughter of a businessman/successful lawyer who lived in a house her parents owned and went to school in a nice, upscale public school suburban area was so upset at her conditions.

Trying to explain the 90s zeitgeist is hard because up until Clintonism, the outlook for the country was kind of loving bleak. You had a bunch of educated young professionals unable to find a job, the Bush/Reagan recession was just kind of there, manufacturing was gone, aerospace was anemic, the national forecast said it's the first generation to have less than their parents in a while.
Meanwhile, the people that were prospering were buttoned up ex-flowerpower folks that had free sex and drugs and decided that wasn't in the cards for everyone, or they were the insufferable post-Hippies that were above you and wore an aggravating ponytail but couldn't figure out the fax and copy machine.
Then this thing called the personal computer revolution hits full swing thanks to something else called The Internet and the recession is gone, a cool sax playing guy is president, jobs are back and if you know half a poo poo about computers you can make a killing. By 1996 the Grunge ethos is on its way out, replaced by the Spice Girls vanguard that paves the way for late 90s bubblegum optimism. But that cynicism and disregard for formal structures is still there. The critique of consumerism and conformity is still underlying.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not to mention there were there were reported gang rapes in the mosh pit during the Limp Bizkit set during which Fred Durst incited the crowd to act violently.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Trevor Hale posted:

We'll never be able to explain rap rock.
So there was this band called Faith No More and they had this one really popular song called "Epic" then every white suburbanite went "I could do that" turns out no, no they could not do that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FIRST TIME posted:

Limp Bizkit
While I can generally explain the angst/cynicism of the 90s fairly easily, I have a really really hard time coming to how the late 90s birthed poo poo like Bizkit/ICP/all the other stupid aggressive White Guy bands that seemed to have 5 minutes of fame.

Other than poo poo about how Women and outgroups had their moment in the sun, and Eminem started the pendulum swinging back to where White Dudes could go and be angry about their Daddy Issues (Staind), general mediocrity (Durst) or pre-emo adolescent rage (Linkin Park) by aping Rap and applying some Rock motifs. This was acceptable because the country was stable economically and growing through a technological revolution and some people were just too comfortable or something.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It all lead up to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E

A month after this video was released, Bush won Florida. And that, as they say, was history.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

achillesforever6 posted:

So there was this band called Faith No More and they had this one really popular song called "Epic" then every white suburbanite went "I could do that" turns out no, no they could not do that.

Dude, Rage Against the fuckin Machine

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Bring the Noise w/ Anthrax was a good song.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If I had to take a guess at nu-metal's popularity, I'd want to explore the suburbanization of American youth after Reagan accelerated deindustrialization. Hip-hop hit its first golden era in the early 1990s and nu-metal borrowed from that. I'd also want to look at race relations and how nu-metal, for all its lovely music, represented a fusion of white and black youth cultures (although nu metal was definitely on the whiter side of the equation).

I'm out of the loop today but I don't see music crossing racial boundaries as much. It feels like there's been a hardening.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
The soundtrack to Judgement Night was when rap-rock moved from relatively niche to the main stage I'm pretty sure.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Nu-metal really did have that vibe of "dangerous, angry music for suburban whites who don't understand those black guys and their gangsta rap". It seems like the rise of Eminem coincided with the fall of nu-metal. White fans could now listen to a white rapper who was legitimate and had talent instead of some lovely, half rear end rapping over some really watered down metal riffs.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 21, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Revelation 2-13 posted:

The soundtrack to Judgement Night was when rap-rock moved from relatively niche to the main stage I'm pretty sure.

Judgement Night itself is classist and racist as gently caress, though, and the core message is "if you're white, don't go to Detroit"

The soundtrack is the loving bomb, though.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

We're all the Phantasy Star III generation.

As in all generations are doomed?

We can probably demarcate generations based on their video game references.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

FilthyImp posted:

For what it's worth, I watched a chunk of Daria episodes with a PostMillenial a year or so back. She didn't really find the cynical biting humor all that funny and wanted to know exactly why the well educated daughter of a businessman/successful lawyer who lived in a house her parents owned and went to school in a nice, upscale public school suburban area was so upset at her conditions.

Was it off the DVD that doesn't have any of the original music because they couldn't get the rights? I loved Daria back in the day but I swear not having the 90s soundtrack kills the show.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Yinlock posted:

So I'm still baffled as to how Trump is getting away with literal crimes so publicly. I mean I'm aware that Rich Person Being Openly Shady As gently caress is nothing new but Trump's practically waving a giant banner from his dumb tower saying I'M STEALING MONEY.

If Hillary did any of the like 1000 things Trump's done she'd immediately be shipped off to a secret volcano prison carved into the shape of Reagan's face made specifically for her alone.

Imagine if Clinton's campaign manager had to resign due to literally working for the Russians. I think there'd be calls for her to pull out of the race.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Sex Hobbit posted:

Was it off the DVD that doesn't have any of the original music because they couldn't get the rights? I loved Daria back in the day but I swear not having the 90s soundtrack kills the show.

Imagine seeing a Beavis & Butthead boxset, buying it and taking it home and realising that they had stripped out all the music videos Judge gave the MST3k treatment to, aka the only reason anyone liked the show.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Trump's campaign is a town's prized bull in a China shop.

If he was led in and knocked over one thing, they'd cry over the one broken plate and move on. If he stampeded out the back and was gone, they'd move on. But Bull stood up on its hind legs, knocked one plate off casually, then looked at Reince. Then he knocked off another. Then another. Then another. Always looking back each time. Some were cheap saucers, some were fabrege eggs. Bull doesn't care, it make the same sound when it hits the floor and everybody still looks and nobody wants to stop a loving bull.

When he runs out of valuables, the outrage may catch up. Til then, nobody is going to stop a bipedal bull that shits orally, they're going to pull out iPhones

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ouch dude, gen X aren't boomers

Lol if you think boomers were the last generation of white people that were openly racist. Last time I checked Reddit wasn't full of boomers.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

gfsincere posted:

Lol if you think boomers were the last generation of white people that were openly racist. Last time I checked Reddit wasn't full of boomers.

The Internet is a double edged sword

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sam Wang just updated his prediction model, and those tweaks have made it a lot more confident in a Clinton win: http://election.princeton.edu/2016/08/21/sharpening-the-forecast/#more-17121

The gist is that previously, he was using a model based on several decades' worth of elections. The new version is based just on 1996 onward, a period in which pre-election polls have been much more stable in reflecting the eventual result.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

McAlister posted:

Apple IIe.

My ram was measured in KB ( 64 of them ) and I had two 5 1/4 floppy disk drives so I could copy game disks ... Reading from one and writing to the other.

They were bigger than my hard drive.

On account of there not being a hard drive since the OS was stored in ROMs.

And yep, played Oregon Trail on it.

Now I can post on my phone. It's insane. I'm holding more computing power in my hand right now than the space shuttle had.

My step brothers and I had Ataris when we were kids, then the next step up was the Atari XEGS.
Then we went all "mainstream" and got an IBM PS/2 with DOS 5.0, a 3.5 floppy and two 5.25 inch floppies. We were amazed it started up without needing a boot disk and was a gateway to the early internet. I remember my folks were concerned with that Michelangelo virus for a while and unplugged the phone line for a few months.
it had a whopping 80 MBs of storage which we were told we'd never ever be able to fill.

Now that's like nothing even for basic stuff and yeah, it amazes me every now and then that my phone can run rings around it and is the size of my hand

Oh, let's not forget the stereo system my folks had consisted of a cassette player, a record player, a radio, and a loving 8-track with one tape.

Ciaphas posted:

I always figured as an '84 I was a GenXer right down to the "I don't even know anymore :smith:" Simpsons mockups

But I don't remember the Cold War at all so, poo poo, guess I'm one of those darn dirty millennials after all. Unless... does hating Facebook give me GenX credit? Is there like a sliding scale for this

Eh, I'm '77 and even I don't remember the Cold War. All I remember about it from the time is the news showing the Berlin Wall coming down and the commentators saying we won the war. I was like "we were at war?" Then along came Desert Shield/Storm, a vigil in town, and watching us kick the poo poo out of everything on the news

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 21, 2016

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

FilthyImp posted:

Trying to explain the 90s zeitgeist is hard because

That show had clear stereotypes that were being made fun of from the perspective of someone more intelligent than average, there's nothing to understand about "the 90s zeitgeist". That kind of humor has always been around. The person you watched it with may have heard a different taste or is just too stupid.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Yinlock posted:

Option 3: Trump is old and has no loving clue how the internet works besides twitter. Which lets him get conned super easy.

I'm surprised it worked given how massively cheap he is otherwise.

This I believe. After all, Free Republic is full of ancient white men that jimrob manages to bullshit 80 grand a quarter from for "forums upkeep". Course the moron shot himself in the foot again doing their Trumpstaffle crackdown on Cruzers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gfsincere posted:

I was going to reply to a post in this thread earlier that was in the vein of "isn't everything going to be awesome when all the old people die, gently caress you dad" with this point. I'm genuinely concerned that millenials (my generation) will continue to pass down racism when they become the dominant generation. The alt-right kidz aren't going away soon (especially after the Bannon thing).

• Locked thread