Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Things I hate in games: forcing you to replay all the bosses in a row.

This is usually where I stop playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Ofecks posted:

Someone may have answered this at some point, but are there original GD-ROM images out there? All I ever came across were hacked-up DiscJuggler shits made to fit on a CDR, which was fine I guess, but that's not gonna cut it for proper preservation.

I don't have a link or anything, but there's a proper modern set of SCD/Saturn/DC isos now, instead of the old hacked up ones and the bin/cue/mp3 ones.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't have a link or anything, but there's a proper modern set of SCD/Saturn/DC isos now, instead of the old hacked up ones and the bin/cue/mp3 ones.

Can someone explain the way DC burning works? I know I've asked before and never got a straight answer, but apparently you need a plugin for your burning software? I tried installing the thing you supposedly need, but it made no difference to my burns. (My DC is not the model that won't play burns)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It's really weird but I find myself playing the SNES so much more now that I got these. I don't know why having wireless controllers makes such a big difference but it does. My wife and I play Tetris (the SNES one with doctor Mario) against each other every single night now. For some reason we weren't really doing that with the wired controllers.

Tetris & Dr. Mario has the best "got a tetris" sound effect out of all the Tetris games I've played.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Turbinosamente posted:

Edit: Oddly expensive PS2 games? Can some one explain why the .hack series is up there in price too? Is it because of Project X Zone? Surprisingly for some one who wasn't gonna get into PS2 games I've got about two dozen and just about everything I ever wanted for it.

They're relatively popular in their niche, and since it's a series of direct sequels with save carryover that means there are potentially less copies of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th games out there, making it hard to get a full set. Also they may have had a lower print run than usual?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The first dothack series was a pretty major release, I bought mine at a KMART of all places. Being part of a series does inflate the price. It was never collected so the only people buying parts 2-4 are in it for completion. You also had an anime DVD which drives up the price of CIB.

The second series is when Xbox 360 and that generation consoles hit the market so of course nobody wants this old, mediocre three part series except for die hard completionists and fans.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ofecks posted:

Someone may have answered this at some point, but are there original GD-ROM images out there? All I ever came across were hacked-up DiscJuggler shits made to fit on a CDR, which was fine I guess, but that's not gonna cut it for proper preservation.

There's two archive projects like TOSEC for console media - TruRip and ReDump.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

al-azad posted:

The first dothack series was a pretty major release, I bought mine at a KMART of all places. Being part of a series does inflate the price. It was never collected so the only people buying parts 2-4 are in it for completion. You also had an anime DVD which drives up the price of CIB.

The second series is when Xbox 360 and that generation consoles hit the market so of course nobody wants this old, mediocre three part series except for die hard completionists and fans.

Which is a shame because G.U. is the much better playing of the two, and I can't find the first game for a decent price anymore.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even through it won't be back in stock until October, how is the PSIO?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Allen Wren posted:

Can someone explain the way DC burning works? I know I've asked before and never got a straight answer, but apparently you need a plugin for your burning software? I tried installing the thing you supposedly need, but it made no difference to my burns. (My DC is not the model that won't play burns)

You install ImgBurn and its DC driver/plugin and then you burn the .cdi files onto a disc. A good tutorial is easy enough to google. It shouldn't be too hard. Make sure that you have the proper ROMs, there's a good modern set floating around.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 21, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

I really hate when MAME cabinets have artwork for a thousand different games on it. I'm not sure why it bothers me but it does.

I'm usually OK with this if at least minor effort has been put into it but some motherfucker (like the one pictured here) is always gonna put fuckin Link on an arcade cabinet or whatever. It's a fuckin arcade cabinet put arcade characters on it rear end in a top hat :spergin:

OK yeah it's probably set up for hyperspin and every emulator ever but it bugs me.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone else think of any examples of a video game where it could basically be considered a "take your money and run" scam other than "Plumber's Don't Wear Ties"? I swear if I were an attorney general I would have went after them for what is essentially a scam (or at the very least, false advertising). It would be like if Universal put out Jurassic Park on VHS but it was just text from the book scrolling the entire tape. It's the only time I would think you'd actually be able to file a class-action lawsuit against a video game for outright fraud. Any other examples of this other than "Star Citizen lol" and "anything LJN made"? I mean yeah there are a lot of lovely games but that one was clearly "haha we got you rear end in a top hat, thanks for the money" and I was wondering if it had ever been done before or since.

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm usually OK with this if at least minor effort has been put into it but some motherfucker (like the one pictured here) is always gonna put fuckin Link on an arcade cabinet or whatever. It's a fuckin arcade cabinet put arcade characters on it rear end in a top hat :spergin:

OK yeah it's probably set up for hyperspin and every emulator ever but it bugs me.

haha yeah, I was either going to have my machine just remain entirely in black paint with maybe some color accents, or a single dedicated cabinet artwork.

I saw some guy selling this huge Nintendo-branded arcade machine and oh god everything about it got my spergy senses tinglin'. It had a huge Nintendo logo which made no sense. It had Hyperspin and every console and arcade ROM imaginable but only had button layouts like a huge NES pad so Street Fighter 2 was out of the question, and it had a 36" LCD screen. It literally looked like someone just put a bunch made a bunch of white plastic into a quazi-arcade machine shape and 2 arcade panels that looked like NES controllers for some reason and slapped whatever Best Buy TV was on sale that week right in there and called it a day. At that point I honestly see no difference than putting a $50 Android box to your living room flat screen and getting 2 arcade sticks. Why even bother?

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know why cabinet art designed by a middle schooler with a Trapper Keeper and a pack of Garbage Pail Kid stickers should bother you.

Well I meant I don't like them even when it's well done. Donkey Kong and Pac-Man can not exist in the same world! (Countdown until someone links me to Mario Kart Arcade GP with Donkey Kong racing Pac-Man)

Discount Viscount posted:

Tetris & Dr. Mario has the best "got a tetris" sound effect out of all the Tetris games I've played.

haha yes! It sounds like a wild animal being harmed or something. Like the sound of torture (for the other player).

Which kind of reminds me...why did the Game Boy Color version of Tetris (Tetris DX) not have any of the Russian music in it? Obviously not a licensing thing because it's public domain. It is pretty much identical to the original Game Boy version so I never understood that.

RZA Encryption posted:

Things I hate in games: forcing you to replay all the bosses in a row.

This is usually where I stop playing.

Wow I am the total opposite! I love games that make you play all the past bosses at once. I don't know why I love it. I think because it's kind of like "you are at the end of this journey, but before you can proceed, here's a bit of nostalgia". The only other games I remember it being in were Nightmare on Elm Street on the NES (the only good thing about that game) and Kirby.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 21, 2016

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Well I meant I don't like them even when it's well done. Donkey Kong and Pac-Man can not exist in the same world! (Countdown until someone links me to Mario Kart Arcade GP with Donkey Kong racing Pac-Man)

Smash Brows for Wii/3DS, too!

Wow I am the total opposite! I love games that make you play all the past bosses at once. I don't know why I love it. I think because it's kind of like "you are at the end of this journey, but before you can proceed, here's a bit of nostalgia". The only other games I remember it being in were Nightmare on Elm Street on the NES (the only good thing about that game) and Kirby.

The entire Mega Man series?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I forgot about Smash even though it's one of my favorite games ever.

And as you can tell, I must not be very good at Mega Man.

And I somehow forgot Illusion of Gaia! One of the best games ever. Makes you fight every boss again at the end.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ofecks posted:

As mentioned before there are proper images out there now. That's another reason to get the flash drive mod for the dream cast.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Can anyone else think of any examples of a video game where it could basically be considered a "take your money and run" scam other than "Plumber's Don't Wear Ties"? I swear if I were an attorney general I would have went after them for what is essentially a scam (or at the very least, false advertising). It would be like if Universal put out Jurassic Park on VHS but it was just text from the book scrolling the entire tape. It's the only time I would think you'd actually be able to file a class-action lawsuit against a video game for outright fraud. Any other examples of this other than "Star Citizen lol" and "anything LJN made"? I mean yeah there are a lot of lovely games but that one was clearly "haha we got you rear end in a top hat, thanks for the money" and I was wondering if it had ever been done before or since.

Other than Kickstarter games? :v:

From a consumer standpoint there's not a lot. There's a few games that have been released in a fundamentally unplayable state intentionally that have run foul of consumer protection laws. I'm trying to recall specific titles but they're not coming to mind. And there are cases where advertised features weren't in the game, promised to come in a patch, and then never delivered on. The bigger scams in video games tend to be on the investor side (which I guess brings us back to Kickstarter after all) where there's been a fair share of criminally run fly-by-night operations that convince people to give them a pile of money and then pocket most of it.

Also, worst boss rush is in Actraiser.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Bubble Bobble Revolution on the DS. You couldn't progress past level 30 out of the 100 or so levels because it was bugged.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

Bubble Bobble Revolution on the DS. You couldn't progress past level 30 out of the 100 or so levels because it was bugged.

Only in the US version, for some reason. Of course, they promised replacements that fixed the bug and never sent them out...

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Did those Chinese guys on TaoBao ever stop making custom DC chips?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
There was also Alien: Colonial Marines where there was some semi-serious talk about whether the developer actually would end up getting sued, but nothing ever came of that. Truth be told, if your only criteria are "advertising included statements which are not true" then there's a whole shitload of games that would fall under it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

And I somehow forgot Illusion of Gaia! One of the best games ever. Makes you fight every boss again at the end.

As Shadow—the last character anyone would want to use, if given a choice. I remember being really pissed off that the pyramid boss was such an ordeal in the boss rush (genuinely hard, or just tedious, I can't recall) when she wasn't particularly difficult to begin with.

A boss rush as a separate mode is fine, though in most cases I probably wouldn't be interested in playing it. I guess I don't mind them too much in the main game if they're not much of an inconvenience and give you a "look how far I've come" moment, but they're just padding almost all of the time.

One of the reasons Radiant Silvergun is my favorite shmup is that it barely even reuses normal enemies in a genre where reusing all the bosses is the norm. The story mode does add a "boss rush" before the final boss, but it's a series of unique bosses not seen anywhere else.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 21, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ofecks posted:

Yeah I can send you a link to a great site if you want.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone been to those retro game conventions that go on in a few cities throughout the year? Are the prices at them generally decent?

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Kashuno posted:

Has anyone been to those retro game conventions that go on in a few cities throughout the year? Are the prices at them generally decent?

No. The last one of these retro or classic game fests I went to had a few sellers with little tupperware containers on their table with mixed loose Game Gear and Game Boy carts and they were $15-20, full stop, no negotiation. In fact, no negotiation was the prevailing theme with the sellers. This didn't stop every jamoke from trying to make custom lots and try to lowball these fuckers, though. You had people with guides on their phones bitching about how they could get one game or another for five bucks cheaper, and it's like - what the gently caress are you doing? It's not like that these sellers were able to come to this event for free, set up for free, travel here for free. It costs goddamn money. I'm not saying that justifies you paying $20 for a loose copy of Super Columns, but that's what it is. You're going to pay every bit of $200 for Shining Force 3. Yes, even if the case is cracked! I've been soured more by the attendees than the sellers at these things - not that the sellers have stellar attitudes either; I'd too be miserable dealing with every stripe of horrible, overbearing game dweeb breathing on you and your stuff trying to screw you out of even a marginal profit.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rollersnake posted:

As Shadow—the last character anyone would want to use, if given a choice. I remember being really pissed off that the pyramid boss was such an ordeal in the boss rush (genuinely hard, or just tedious, I can't recall) when she wasn't particularly difficult to begin with.

A boss rush as a separate mode is fine, though in most cases I probably wouldn't be interested in playing it. I guess I don't mind them too much in the main game if they're not much of an inconvenience and give you a "look how far I've come" moment, but they're just padding almost all of the time.

One of the reasons Radiant Silvergun is my favorite shmup is that it barely even reuses normal enemies in a genre where reusing all the bosses is the norm. The story mode does add a "boss rush" before the final boss, but it's a series of unique bosses not seen anywhere else.

Even through they show up in later Castlevania games (or every game as in the case with Death), I like Super Castlevania boss rush against Gaibon Slogra, and Death, who you do not fight at all at this point in the game. All while this creepy piano track plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYm6N5aM2wI

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

I AM THE TOILET posted:

No. The last one of these retro or classic game fests I went to had a few sellers with little tupperware containers on their table with mixed loose Game Gear and Game Boy carts and they were $15-20, full stop, no negotiation. In fact, no negotiation was the prevailing theme with the sellers. This didn't stop every jamoke from trying to make custom lots and try to lowball these fuckers, though. You had people with guides on their phones bitching about how they could get one game or another for five bucks cheaper, and it's like - what the gently caress are you doing? It's not like that these sellers were able to come to this event for free, set up for free, travel here for free. It costs goddamn money. I'm not saying that justifies you paying $20 for a loose copy of Super Columns, but that's what it is. You're going to pay every bit of $200 for Shining Force 3. Yes, even if the case is cracked! I've been soured more by the attendees than the sellers at these things - not that the sellers have stellar attitudes either; I'd too be miserable dealing with every stripe of horrible, overbearing game dweeb breathing on you and your stuff trying to screw you out of even a marginal profit.

Yeah I totally get that, I hope that my post didn't come across as trying to find some secret steal at these events. I'm mostly going because it's in my hometown and I haven't been back in a while, so it works out for me. I don't expect things to be stupid cheap, but just not overly price gouging like some of these kinds of events can be.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

flyboi posted:

There's two archive projects like TOSEC for console media - TruRip and ReDump.

This is super useful, thank you Gizmo butler.

fishmech posted:

Yeah I can send you a link to a great site if you want.

user name at the g mail

Rollersnake posted:

One of the reasons Radiant Silvergun is my favorite shmup is that it barely even reuses normal enemies in a genre where reusing all the bosses is the norm.

Something neat I noticed about the 4th-gen Toaplan shmups (Tatsujin Oh, Dogyuun, V-V, Batsugun) is that none of the enemies are reused between stages. Fillin up dem sprite roms.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 21, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

Oh wow, this is a great example, though I think it was more of a glaring oversight than a scam. As for unbeatable games, the only other one I can think of is Mission Impossible (heh) for the Atari. Any other games unbeatable due to bugs?

What about games that can actually be damaged to the point where it's unusable? I think there is only one case of this in history, but I can't find it for some reason. It was one of the GBA Mega Man games. Basically there was a glitch (difficult to pull off luckily) that would corrupt the save data, and for whatever reason, the game refused to boot with corrupted save data with no way to erase it, bricking the cart. I really doubt there is any other instance of this but if there is, I'd love to know about it.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 21, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Oh wow, this is a great example, though I think it was more of a glaring oversight than a scam. As for unbeatable games, the only other one I can think of is Mission Impossible (heh) for the Atari. Any other games unbeatable due to bugs?

What about games that can actually be damaged to the point where it's unusable? I think there is only one case of this in history, but I can't find it for some reason. It was one of the GBA Mega Man games. Basically there was a glitch (difficult to pull off luckily) that would corrupt the save data, and for whatever reason, the game refused to boot with corrupted save data with no way to erase it, bricking the cart. I really doubt there is any other instance of this but if there is, I'd love to know about it.

You could fix that with a GameShark, iirc.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Rirse posted:

Even through it won't be back in stock until October, how is the PSIO?
I got my March order this week (5 1/2 months) and here's my quick review:

It takes a long time to arrive after ordering.

Installing the switch board is easy if you've done fine-point soldering before (ps1 or ps2 modchips, etc) the only really tricky part is cutting the traces. One slip of the hand and you've either wrecked the board or given yourself a hell of a rework job. You also have to be careful with how you route the wires, so they don't get pinched by the metal RF shields when you reassemble the system. I had to re-route one wire I was absolutely sure I had put in a safe place due to how big the bottom RF shield is.

Converting ReDump images to the single-bin and CU3 format the PSIO wants is pretty simple. You can do it by hand, use the tool they offer on their website, or there's a utility I found that will do it in batches. However, I think there's a bug (either in the tool or the PSIO) and I had to manually fix all of the CU3 text files to get them to work. I tweeted at the tool's author that I would fix it if he uploaded the source code, but he never replied. I might run the tool through a .NET decompiler and fix it that way.

Once I had the switch board installed, console reassembled, and the PSIO plugged in, it booted right into the menu. There's a video that plays on the first boot which is kinda weird. Then I loaded the SD card up with a bunch of converted games and played around. Compatibility is good but not great. A lot of stuff works just fine, very few things straight up don't work, but a whole bunch of things exhibit weird issues. FMV skipping, distorted audio, and freezing being the most common. I'd really like to play SOTN, but the audio is all hosed up and sounds awful.

The biggest concern to me is that there's very little info on their forums about when/if future software updates will be coming to address these issues. They're receptive to people reporting issues, but there's no clear, "Yeah, we're gonna fix this stuff, and here's a bunch of updates to show we mean it." I think there's been one major update to it during all of 2016.

I bought one because I'm trying to convert all my optical disc based systems to SD card loading for longevity. Unless that goal is high on your list, buy a spindle of CD-Rs and install a PS1 modchip. 100% compatibility at a tiny fraction of the price.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

As for unbeatable games, the only other one I can think of is Mission Impossible (heh) for the Atari.

That was Impossible Mission, was unrelated to the MI license, and ported to pretty much every western-accessible 8-bit platform. I had the actually impossible Atari 7800 version, but I didn't play it far enough to figure that out.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 21, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think mission impossible is also nearly impossible to beat on the n64. Or at least that's what I've heard.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

I think mission impossible is also nearly impossible to beat on the n64. Or at least that's what I've heard.

I don't think it's the N64 version. I beat that piece of poo poo.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I totally get that, I hope that my post didn't come across as trying to find some secret steal at these events. I'm mostly going because it's in my hometown and I haven't been back in a while, so it works out for me. I don't expect things to be stupid cheap, but just not overly price gouging like some of these kinds of events can be.

Look on the website and see if sellers have to pay. If yes, prices will be what you expect. The only time I have found deals is in local swap meets that had free admission and free dealer tables.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Just running broken games off the top of my head: Jak 2 has a weird bug where if you save the game at 89% or something it won't trigger the next mission. Viewtiful Joe's demo disc can easily reformat your PS2 memory card. The DOS version of TMNT based on the Konami NES game is unbeatable without a password because the infamous sewer jump can't be made by any means.

In cool slips, super rare and $1,000 Sega CD game Keio Flying Squadron had a UK "demo disc" that contained the full game. It would kick you out after level 1 but if you knew the level skip cheat you could continue playing from the second stage onward.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-Nyko-Joystick-Controller-Ultra-Rare-/370489239041?hash=item5642e12601:m:m8Aa2hCD1iBbR3jnHJ34-Kg

:wtf: is happening

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
That Holy Diver game that never(?) came out in NA requires a glitched jump to beat it right at the end before the final boss.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Just running broken games off the top of my head: Jak 2 has a weird bug where if you save the game at 89% or something it won't trigger the next mission. Viewtiful Joe's demo disc can easily reformat your PS2 memory card. The DOS version of TMNT based on the Konami NES game is unbeatable without a password because the infamous sewer jump can't be made by any means.

In cool slips, super rare and $1,000 Sega CD game Keio Flying Squadron had a UK "demo disc" that contained the full game. It would kick you out after level 1 but if you knew the level skip cheat you could continue playing from the second stage onward.

oh man I love stuff like this. Keep them coming.

How did no one try the TMNT game before releasing it? :allears:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
https://youtu.be/0mn-4y8YrU4

A video by Guru Larry covering a few of these games that you can't complete because reasons. Unsurprisingly Ocean software is involved in a few. Because much like LJN/Acclaim, and Takara and Bandai their existence was based around ruining the joy of children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Another would be the TMNT port from NES to PC. There's a jump that is impossible no matter what you do.

• Locked thread