Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

.tag Ramc 50 turn NAPing pony picker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 14, 2016

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

:captainpop:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Dominions 4 Video LP:

Episode 9: More aimless rambling

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013
Meanwhile in Cataclysm:

Super Combatant Battle 1

I feel The Summit may have been buffed a little too much in the artifact mod. Then again, things like the Wondrous Box of Monsters letting the wielder cast Animal Horde certainly help generate large armies quickly.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Rotekian posted:

Meanwhile in Cataclysm:

Super Combatant Battle 1

I feel The Summit may have been buffed a little too much in the artifact mod. Then again, things like the Wondrous Box of Monsters letting the wielder cast Animal Horde certainly help generate large armies quickly.

Pro-click, pro-mod. I will probably be using this mod in many games going forward.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
It's time again for me to pretend that I know what I'm doing in

:siren: DOMINIONS 4 MULTIPLAYER MAYHAM PART 10 :siren:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Thanks for posting your videos Libluini, I'm enjoying seeing Mo Money 2 from your perspective!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Thanks for posting your videos Libluini, I'm enjoying seeing Mo Money 2 from your perspective!

Thanks, I just wish the timer wouldn't run out when I come back from work, it's astonishingly stressful to switch on your PC and be greeted by a red timer counting down! :v:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
oh right, Indychaos.

I was Ulm. I expanded slowly because I was worried about Hill Demons or whatever. When expansion ended I was small, but I doubled my territory by conquering Tien Chi the moment they were done fighting Asphodel and killed them. Then I started to get ready to attack Gath, because they were one throne away from winning, but my plans were foiled when Ctis attacked on the opposite side of my nation. My map move 1 troops slowly hoofed their way over there while I wore down his invading forces through attrition, and our armies traded territory for a bit until Gath/Agartha attacked him and I withdrew to my own territory. While this was going on Jotunheim seized all of TC's former territory with stealthed vaetti, but fumbled the touchdown and had their army wrecked on one of the forts, by which time my mm1 troops had gotten over there and I pressed forward to start sieging his own forts. Then the game ended because no one wanted to fight Xibalba. I blame Ctis and Jotunheim.

My pretender was the dragon dwarf and he didn't do much: just site searching until he was caught by Ctis and killed and I never got around to raising him. I didn't have a good plan for him beyond trying to do something besides my preferred immobile imprisoned scales pretenders.

My main issue I think is I tried to play Ulm like I played Agartha, as they were both earth-heavy nations with terrible mobility. I didn't make enough use of buffs for my troops, though I got some killer battlemagic going from iron blizzard and magma eruption. I really missed golems. Ulm's recruitable troops are pretty great though and had a lot of fun with some recruitable minotaurs I found.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 17, 2016

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Morrow posted:

oh right, Indychaos.

I was Ulm. I expanded slowly because I was worried about Hill Demons or whatever. When expansion ended I was small, but I doubled my territory by conquering Tien Chi the moment they were done fighting Asphodel and killed them. Then I started to get ready to attack Gath, because they were one throne away from winning, but my plans were foiled when Ctis attacked on the opposite side of my nation. My map move 1 troops slowly hoofed their way over there while I wore down his invading forces through attrition, and our armies traded territory for a bit until Gath/Agartha attacked him and I withdrew to my own territory. While this was going on Jotunheim seized all of TC's former territory with stealthed vaetti, but fumbled the touchdown and had their army wrecked on one of the forts, by which time my mm1 troops had gotten over there and I pressed forward to start sieging his own forts. Then the game ended because no one wanted to fight Xibalba. I blame Ctis and Jotunheim.

My pretender was the dragon dwarf and he didn't do much: just site searching until he was caught by Ctis and killed and I never got around to raising him. I didn't have a good plan for him beyond trying to do something besides my preferred immobile imprisoned scales pretenders.

My main issue I think is I tried to play Ulm like I played Agartha, as they were both earth-heavy nations with terrible mobility. I didn't make enough use of buffs for my troops, though I got some killer battlemagic going from iron blizzard and magma eruption. I really missed golems. Ulm's recruitable troops are pretty great though and had a lot of fun with some recruitable minotaurs I found.

If you are a MM1 nation you have to lean heavy on mages and small groups of MM1 mans on alternate fronts otherwise you get the whole slowly creeping around ineffectually.

With Ulm you'd probably be better off just raising a new army near where the other guy is by relocating all of your smiths into a fort closer to them.

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013
My experience as Jotunheim in indychaos was trying to expand with vaetti and jotun axemen and getting owned by indies like 3 times. I think I had 8 or 9 provinces well into year 2. My strategy was heavily dependent on getting forests to recruit more vaetti spearmen and mages. Unfortunately, I was next to Asphodel and Xibalba and they had literally all of the nearby forests.

I tried my best to pick up bits and pieces of my neighbors as time went on, but my slow start really hampered my ability to take advantage. TC pushed me out of Asphodel's good poo poo and Ulm took TC's poo poo before I could do anything.

I was able to still get to enchantment/evocation 5 and was summoning my first vampire lord when the game ended; if the thrones weren't broken, I think I could have lasted a good while longer.

My takeaway was to take an awake god as opposed to the dumb bog lich I did take. Also, vaetti don't have frost resistance and get cold in Cold 3.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Atlanton posted:

My experience as Jotunheim in indychaos was trying to expand with vaetti and jotun axemen and getting owned by indies like 3 times. I think I had 8 or 9 provinces well into year 2. My strategy was heavily dependent on getting forests to recruit more vaetti spearmen and mages. Unfortunately, I was next to Asphodel and Xibalba and they had literally all of the nearby forests.

I tried my best to pick up bits and pieces of my neighbors as time went on, but my slow start really hampered my ability to take advantage. TC pushed me out of Asphodel's good poo poo and Ulm took TC's poo poo before I could do anything.

I was able to still get to enchantment/evocation 5 and was summoning my first vampire lord when the game ended; if the thrones weren't broken, I think I could have lasted a good while longer.

My takeaway was to take an awake god as opposed to the dumb bog lich I did take. Also, vaetti don't have frost resistance and get cold in Cold 3.

Were the indies and throne defenders in indychaos any more interesting than usual? I myself started in a rather vanilla area, Jomon bandits led by a demon general were the most interesting thing I ran into iirc.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
They weren't. As Ctis I saw only a single province guarded by trolls. Nothing else, only standard humies and horseymans

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All that’s necessary for the triumph of ulm is for goon men to do nothing. (in almonds)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Density posted:

All that’s necessary for the triumph of ulm is for goon men to do nothing. (in almonds)

eh that's a lot of words against someone that's not the strongest power in the world atm

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

MF_James posted:

eh that's a lot of words against someone that's not the strongest power in the world atm

Ragha is the legit probable gamewinner so everyone get him.

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013

Ramc posted:

Ragha is the legit probable gamewinner so everyone get him.

Yeah!

Kill him and then those stinky hydras!

Bogarus will boogie again!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Rotekian posted:

Meanwhile in Cataclysm:

Super Combatant Battle 1

What artifact mod is this? Sounds awesome.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That is the Weapons of Mass Destruction mod and it is as awesome as it sounds.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Atlanton posted:

Yeah!

Kill him and then those stinky hydras!

Bogarus will boogie again!

I needed your cold ok :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:siren: New part of my LP is ready! :siren:

Some crazy guy ranting about fantasy games, I think? Part 11

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I think next turn Bogarus attacks that Monolith + Watchers Throne and gets turned into fine, red mist by lightning bolts. Hope you had a scout there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

I think next turn Bogarus attacks that Monolith + Watchers Throne and gets turned into fine, red mist by lightning bolts. Hope you had a scout there.

Not exactly, no. Also I skimmed through my recordings of the next four turns real fast and no, Bogarus doesn't attack that throne during this time. Apparently that's still some way in the future.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Hello,

Did you know that there are 50 different thrones in Dominions? I sure didn't. I would have guessed that there are, like, ten. And that at least four out of those ten are The Throne of Gaia. But I'd be wrong. Or would I?

If you ask me, this isn't a throne befitting of the pantokrator. This isn't a throne at all. This is an old-rear end leather easy chair you find behind a dumpster in the depressing part of town. Leather all ripped up and poo poo. All foam insides just spilling into the street. Someone should do something about these thrones. Someone should replace them with better thrones. Someone should replace them with THRONES.DM.

THRONES.DM is a mod which replaces all of the default thrones in the game with all-new custom thrones. There are 24 level one thrones, 10 level two thrones, and 9 level three thrones.

Many of the thrones allow the recruitment of fantastic new monsters who are all probably severely imbalanced one way or the other but because they're recruited from a conquerable site it's absolutely fine. It's absolutely fine. It's absolutely fine.

Many thrones also trigger lots of different kinds of events, which I'm sure will have almost as many bugs as a certain chair you might find behind a certain dumpster.

Do the right thing. Make your next game of Dominions a THRONES.DM game of Dominions, and let me know what you think. Thanks for reading.

--
(Known bugs: it's impossible to increase global magic/drain or global luck/misfortune, you end up increasing growth/death instead. Some events will inappropriately increase growth/death until this is fixed.)

Mu. fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 24, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

this seems totally fun and balanced. Are the new thrones packed with horrible defenders like I think?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Mu, you're a goddamn treasure

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'll put up a game using the mod.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
How does one get a Dark Goat? I want one :catstare:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
From the throne of goats, I assume

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It is a goat event. ~Dominions Mystery~ precludes saying more.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

How are u posted:

Not this turn. I wait for my Pretender to arrive for some reason.

For the record, like forty turns later I still haven't resurrected my pretender because I still have no use for him.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I played a couple of games about a year and a half ago, before work got insane and I had no time. Now I want to get back in, but I'm too nervous to play with all the vets in the Throne game, which is the only one up right now.

Are there enough new guys to do a newbie game? Or maybe just enough interest to do a non gimmick game?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Jester Mcgee posted:

I played a couple of games about a year and a half ago, before work got insane and I had no time. Now I want to get back in, but I'm too nervous to play with all the vets in the Throne game, which is the only one up right now.

Are there enough new guys to do a newbie game? Or maybe just enough interest to do a non gimmick game?

:justpost:

Jump in, get owned, get better. No better way to do it, ask for advice on IRC. I really doubt there are enough newbies to host even a small newbie game right now.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

How are u posted:

:justpost:

Jump in, get owned, get better. No better way to do it, ask for advice on IRC. I really doubt there are enough newbies to host even a small newbie game right now.

That's what I'll do then. Which badnation is a good pick for someone pretty new?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Jester Mcgee posted:

That's what I'll do then. Which badnation is a good pick for someone pretty new?

Pick anything that's not a water nation imo.

You will learn a lot just by watching what other people do, what magiks they use, what troops they decide to recruit (if you want to take the time to scout/watch battles and look at their troop lists etc), how they form their troops etc etc.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Finally learning to play this and I've had some fun as MA Vanheim, Ermor and Ry'leh. I think for my next run I want to learn how to make a supercombatant. Whats a good faction/monster/gearlist for doing this?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

SCs don't really get made much (at all that I've seen) anymore, that was more of a dom3 thing.

thugs are still a thing, those are units that can clear PD solo or small force by stacking stuff like protection, regen, reinvig, and defense, also using stuff like vine shield/icebrand.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

nopantsjack posted:

Finally learning to play this and I've had some fun as MA Vanheim, Ermor and Ry'leh. I think for my next run I want to learn how to make a supercombatant. Whats a good faction/monster/gearlist for doing this?

Tuatha (the cap-only mage in EA Tir na Nog and MA Eriu) can make very good thugs. Most pony men with glam and air do too, probably. You can kit them out and air-drop them into a prov with cloud trapeze, have them buff with mist form and regen or whatever and wreck house. Vine Shields, Icebrands are a good start, and a reinvigoration amulet can keep them fatigue neutral.

Of course if someone actually scripts evocations to target a single dude they can get hosed, but they can clear an absurd amount of chaff and PD otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Ramc posted:

Tuatha (the cap-only mage in EA Tir na Nog and MA Eriu) can make very good thugs. Most pony men with glam and air do too, probably. You can kit them out and air-drop them into a prov with cloud trapeze, have them buff with mist form and regen or whatever and wreck house. Vine Shields, Icebrands are a good start, and a reinvigoration amulet can keep them fatigue neutral.

Of course if someone actually scripts evocations to target a single dude they can get hosed, but they can clear an absurd amount of chaff and PD otherwise.

Vanjarls don't even need gear, just get 2 of them, stand them in the same square, 1 casts bless, 1 casts mistform and you should be good iirc.

Vanjarls are EA/MA vanheim, EA helheim and LA Midgard

• Locked thread