Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RadicalWall posted:

All games are now about heroes, abilities and ultimates. Welcome to 2016.

I mean this game just has a loadout, it's not any different than the last one billion cod games in that regard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

NESguerilla posted:

I see no problem with the TTK. It's exactly like COD for better or worse. Some people might not like that doesn't make it bad.

It encourages camping, which we're seeing in this tech test with everybody hiding behind roofs/hills with snipers because health is so low that it discourages all the parkour moves that made the original game so good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly haven't felt that way. I frantically run around the map all the time and don't really get sniped by campers enough that it's bothersome to me.

Unless you are playing that lovely death match mode, those guys are just sabotaging their own teams anyways.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The problem with low TTK and fast respawns isn't that it encourages camping, it's that it turns most engagements into a matter of someone just shooting another in the back, or milliseconds-long engagements where there is absolutely no time for anything but raw reflexes to play a part. It makes the differences between weapons matter less when everything needs an incredibly few number of shots to kill, makes fights generally not come down to skill at all but instead come down to whoever happened to end up behind the other player, and it makes the times when you are both shooting at each other at the same time be incredibly short-lived.

It's ultimately a matter of preference, but to me the disadvantages far outweigh whatever advantages an ultra-low TTK supposedly has.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The advantage is epic skillshot comps

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Digirat posted:

The problem with low TTK and fast respawns isn't that it encourages camping, it's that it turns most engagements into a matter of someone just shooting another in the back, or milliseconds-long engagements where there is absolutely no time for anything but raw reflexes to play a part. It makes the differences between weapons matter less when everything needs an incredibly few number of shots to kill, makes fights generally not come down to skill at all but instead come down to whoever happened to end up behind the other player, and it makes the times when you are both shooting at each other at the same time be incredibly short-lived.

It's ultimately a matter of preference, but to me the disadvantages far outweigh whatever advantages an ultra-low TTK supposedly has.

I agree if someone gets the drop on me they definitely should not be able to just kill me despite clearly having the advantage :downs:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Javes posted:

Don't forget microtransaction RNG gambling crates.

Respawn isn't charging for new maps so this will probably happen.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

SUNKOS posted:

It encourages camping, which we're seeing in this tech test with everybody hiding behind roofs/hills with snipers because health is so low that it discourages all the parkour moves that made the original game so good.

Lol people tried the camping sniper thing in TF1 and got mercilessly owned by smart gamers (such as myself) who would just parkour above/around them and kill them.

If the camping stuff is working now it's because people aren't remembering they can wallrun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it doesn't seem effective at all. Yeah, you will get shot by a guy standing on a roof sometimes like in every other shooter ever made, but if anything I feel like I see less campers in this game because the maps are too dense and big to just sit there and camp all day. I'll be the first to delete any game that I think encourages too much camping but that has not been my experience at all in the 5 or so hours I've put into this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I've one or two games where a sniper tries to camp from that middle tower in the map with the huge tower in the middle but you just hit the grapple button and zip up into his balls and explode him:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Digirat posted:

That's why the Titan half of the game exists.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

I agree if someone gets the drop on me they definitely should not be able to just kill me despite clearly having the advantage :downs:

So anytime you see someone else from an angle, it should be guaranteed that you win and not them, no matter how good they are? Even though the person who shoots the other one in the back often did nothing at all to get in that position, it's just how the game spawned them?

"Having the advantage" in terms of angle shouldn't be the one and only thing that decides who wins, and very often in fast paced COD-style games, whether or not you get the angle on someone usually has nothing to do with your skill. When you combine it with fast respawns and accurate weapons, games quickly devolve into people just charging around and shooting each other in the back over and over. It makes the gameplay repetitive, thoughtless, and boring. In rainbow 6 siege figuring out how to get the angle on someone is part of the whole strategy of the game, and all the other mechanics of the game as well as its pacing contribute to it as a strategic element, so it makes sense there. In a COD-style shooter, it just means you got lucky.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Using the chest laser on pilots is overkill but pretty god drat satisfying :rock:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Antoine Silvere posted:

Lol people tried the camping sniper thing in TF1 and got mercilessly owned by smart gamers (such as myself) who would just parkour above/around them and kill them.

If the camping stuff is working now it's because people aren't remembering they can wallrun.

That's because Titanfall 1 had well designed maps that facilitated wall running. Have you actually played the Titanfall 2 tech test yet?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Oh good I'm not the only one who thinks the TTK is ridiculously small. Like enough to drop it from a sure thing preorder to a rent first if they don't adjust it in any further tech tests.

And I played the poo poo out of 1 on PC with m/kb and I do not remember TTK being that short

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ninjahedgehog posted:

That's why the Titan half of the game exists.

And the Titan half is terrible here, so it's all terrible

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yeah I'll definitely play more of the tech tests, and it may grow on me, but the feel of the game is kind of off right now. Even the titans feel weird to me

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Well, if you played TF1 on a PC and are playing this on a console, that might explain some of the weird feel

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lemming posted:

Well, if you played TF1 on a PC and are playing this on a console, that might explain some of the weird feel

I played the console version of TF1, and it still feels incredibly off

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grapple should just be a basic function. It's pretty dumb it's tied to a perk. Also it makes it so everyone is stuck playing as the same robot.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Lemming posted:

i did play some on console. I didn't play PVP on console, just the co-op thing, but even so this does feel different than I remember

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

NESguerilla posted:

Grapple should just be a basic function. It's pretty dumb it's tied to a perk. Also it makes it so everyone is stuck playing as the same robot.

Wall hanging used to be a basic function and that's tied to a perk now as well.

Lemming posted:

That's probably part of the reason why I'm finding this so jolting, because I still play Titanfall on PC.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Looks like Respawn patched Hardpoint to allow players to earn Titans faster.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wall hang seems completely useless

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

In Training posted:

Wall hang seems completely useless

It was pretty useless in the first game

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Just did some testing and it seems ttk is actually longer than tf1 so not sure what you are all on about.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Knifegrab posted:

Just did some testing and it seems ttk is actually longer than tf1 so not sure what you are all on about.

Goons have wrong impressions of early gameplay. Film at 11.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

TTK seems fine to me but I wonder if giving everyone amped damage cards by default and not being too difficult to obtain is the cause of some of the complaints.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Roman posted:

And I played the poo poo out of 1 on PC with m/kb and I do not remember TTK being that short

The TTK was crazy short in the first game.

Lemming posted:

It was pretty useless in the first game

Wallhanging was a good way to juke out a fucker chasing you, run through a door and jump above said doorway and pick the dude off as he comes in after you. It was really situational but it had some uses.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The TTK complaints seem really silly to me because A. it's exactly what you should have expected and B. actually a lot more forgiving than COD because you can just slide or grapple out of half of the deaths you'd experience in COD. Doubling the health isn't going to save you from getting shot in the back, a thing that happens in every shooter ever.

Also, after actually playing long enough to form an opinion that isn't totally reactionary I'd say the Titans are balanced really well. They have a bit of learning curve but once you know when and why to use them they are pretty invaluable. To me the whole game feels like a tradeoff between being nimble and vulnerable or powerful and sustainable. Once you get the rhythm down it's great. Bounty is already one of my favorite multiplayer modes in any game. It's got a nice progression to it and it can feel really high stakes and tense.

Wazzit posted:

Using the chest laser on pilots is overkill but pretty god drat satisfying :rock:

punching a pilot in the air, when they are trying to grapple you head on and watching them explode into a cloud of red mist is also pretty drat great.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 21, 2016

ScubaSteve2K10
Jul 5, 2008
Anyone playing this on ps4 today? I haven't seen a single pubbie do a wall run or grapple.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

If you see grapple incoming when your a Titan you can also just hold up your heart shield if you scorch to fry em. Ooh also if you are being grappled, left in the d pad will turn on electric smoke. It has some cool down that I don't think is displayed.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I've got a feeling that at one point during development the grappling hook was a default ability and the maps were designed around it, and then sometime later someone decided to change it so that it's a loadout choice. That would explain why maps like Homestead and Forwardbase Kodai are so flat and lacking in walls to run on.

Also, someone found an old talk on AAA combat design by some Respawn devs from two years ago where they explain some of the key design decisions for the original Titanfall and why the game was designed the way that it was. Funnily enough Titanfall 2 ignores all of these principles. It's bizarre seeing the developers correctly address key faults with Titanfall 2 a couple years before the game is actually unveiled. My guess is that a lot of the people who worked on the original Titanfall had absolutely nothing to do with this sequel, and it really shows.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Has anyone figured out how to play with your friends on PS4, because we couldn't do it yesterday. We even tried creating a network and getting everyone on it, but then choosing "Invite network" and picking a game mode just kicked back to the main menu screen.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Why the hell were Amped weapons in the first game and why are they back? It was nice having an Amped anti titan weapon but I can't see how they ever fit into a balanced game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

qbert posted:

Has anyone figured out how to play with your friends on PS4, because we couldn't do it yesterday. We even tried creating a network and getting everyone on it, but then choosing "Invite network" and picking a game mode just kicked back to the main menu screen.

At some point between yesterday and today I think it broke, it was working as intended for a bit but now it seems you can only just randomly queue

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

punching a pilot in the air, when they are trying to grapple you head on and watching them explode into a cloud of red mist is also pretty drat great.
I never played the first game, but just did this today and boy oh boy this game is fun. also, how do stop a pilot from already rodeoing you?

some thoughts: smg and lmg seem underpowered compared to everything else

radar kunais are cool but grappling hooks are cooler

the ion rocket launcher secondary weapon doesnt seem to do much of anything

titans need emotes

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

If you see grapple incoming when your a Titan you can also just hold up your heart shield if you scorch to fry em. Ooh also if you are being grappled, left in the d pad will turn on electric smoke. It has some cool down that I don't think is displayed.

Any idea if that electric smoke is some type of streak reward? I randomly have it at times.

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:

Wazzit posted:

Any idea if that electric smoke is some type of streak reward? I randomly have it at times.

I think maybe it charges up like your titan's core, there looks like there are 2 overlapping charge bars in the corner?

Also it's nice to see charge rifle sniping is still alive and well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

super macho dude posted:

titans need emotes

If I can't dab, whip, or naenae(?????) as a Titan I refuse to buy the gambling poo poo