Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

This must taste awful. I can personally confirm that the taste of Orange Juice and chocolate together is akin to that of toothpaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zipperelli. posted:

So I don't know how widespread this is, but apparently this is actually a thing. Supposedly, if you cook chicken to exactly done, temperature-wise, it'll still actually be somewhat pink in the middle, and there are places that actually serve it like this.

A buddy of mine had some, and he said it was actually pretty drat good. The texture was different, and it had a different taste.

Again, I don't know how true this all is, but a cursory Google search has this article: http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/food/how-to/a10797/eating-raw-chicken-0911/

YMMV, of course.
I think it's most widely recognized as a French countryside preparation. It is kind of hard to bingo the correct temperature, but it seems to have gotten more popular with the popularity of sous vide.

Its kind of a brain short circuit to eat chicken that isn't well done. You probably need to have a good source on lean chicken too, the store bought stuff is super fatty to baste it into well doneness without making jerky so you can end up with super slimey streaks of fat that would cook out in the traditional way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zipperelli. posted:

So I don't know how widespread this is, but apparently this is actually a thing. Supposedly, if you cook chicken to exactly done, temperature-wise, it'll still actually be somewhat pink in the middle, and there are places that actually serve it like this.

A buddy of mine had some, and he said it was actually pretty drat good. The texture was different, and it had a different taste.

Again, I don't know how true this all is, but a cursory Google search has this article: http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/food/how-to/a10797/eating-raw-chicken-0911/

YMMV, of course.

Yes, there are two factors. One is that if the chicken is raised properly it won't be any more dangerous than beef and you can eat it raw if you want. There are chicken sashimi places all over Japan that do this. The other is that the FDA temperature guidelines are extremely conservative, what they give you is the temp which will sterilize (log 7 reduction, technically--one in one million bacteria can survive) the meat instantly. So you can cook chicken to that temperature for one second, OR you can bring it to a lower temp, say 140, and hold it there a few minutes and you'll achieve the same result in killing the bacteria. You can end up with fairly pink looking chicken that way but it's perfectly safe.

I do not think either of those apply to that guy but it is A Thing.

E: Also people are just paranoid about chicken. It is the most likely of the common meats to be dangerous, but it's still very unlikely. I think it's something like a 1 in 30,000 chance, compared to like near zero with beef. Salmonella poisoning really sucks though.

Grand Fromage has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Aug 21, 2016

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It's a bit like pork in America, you aren't going to get trichinosis from supermarket pork anymore, but most people still cook it to death out of habit.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I don't have a picture of it, but I would like to share with you how my grandmother cooks chicken.

First, fill a glass casserole dish with oil. Yes, oil. Preferably the cheapest vegetable oil you can find. Then drop the raw chicken into the cold oil and throw some sad potatoes that have started to go of into the dish. Maybe some canned cream corn if you feel fancy. Put it in the oven at like 350 degrees for ohhh.... Let's say 5 hours. You don't want the chicken undercooked! :downs: don't bother rotating the chicken at all. Let the tips not covered by the oil become dry but still somehow greasy while the chicken submerged in the oil becomes some kind of oil meat slurry. For flavor, stick a badly chopped whole onion in there at the the hour mark.

Get angry when people try to eat it out of politeness and end up getting violently sick into your trash can.

Edit: I have suffered through so many of her "recipes", I can easily recall with soul crushing clarity each and every one of them.

Look at my poo poo on redbubble please it's cool I promise.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/sociopastry/shop?asc=u

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Space Wizard posted:

Coming up next at Midnight - It came from Facebook

I'm the mismatched dinner plates

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

You Are A Elf posted:

I'm the mismatched dinner plates

I'm the gigantic loaf if (garlic?) Bread.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I can't tell if that's shrimp or pasta or what the gently caress

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I... is.. is that shrimp on brussels sprouts? Or is it off-brand cheetos with poor colour balance?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Sociopastry posted:

It's small pastries.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
small salad pastries

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

What the gently caress. They look like either poorly cooked shrimps, packing peanuts or overcooked pasta

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I love shrimp but those tiny salad shrimps are gross and watery. Honestly that entire dish still looks half-frozen

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Julias posted:

I'm the gigantic loaf if (garlic?) Bread.

Looks like one of those pre-made garlic breads you can buy at Walmart, too.

Uncooked :prepop:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You Are A Elf posted:

Looks like one of those pre-made garlic breads you can buy at Walmart, too.

Uncooked :prepop:

That's PC salad mix and PC salad dressing. This meal is to the shame of a Canadian who shops at a Loblaw-owned retailler.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SynthOrange posted:

Yes the wall will have its own place setting too

Maybe it's for Elijah. Guess returning from heaven doesn't mean you get a place to sit.

edit: gently caress, beaten

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
I just saw a commercial for this on TV.

Think of all the time you'll save from not mixing your tuna, Mayo and loose corn!

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

CommonShore posted:

That's PC salad mix and PC salad dressing. This meal is to the shame of a Canadian who shops at a Loblaw-owned retailler.

This indeed a display of Canadian shame.

im the healthy layer of grime and filth on every surface.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I realize you can safely eat chicken that isn't totally solid and white, but having been sick from undercooked chicken twice before my immediate response to any mushy texture is to spit it out and throw the rest of it away.

I love rare steak, my body is just conditioned to barf from undercooked chicken.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

FractionMan posted:

I just saw a commercial for this on TV.

Think of all the time you'll save from not mixing your tuna, Mayo and loose corn!

It looks like lovely cat food. Like, the kind that if you feed it to your cat it'll puke out right back up

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GenericOverusedName posted:

It's a bit like pork in America, you aren't going to get trichinosis from supermarket pork anymore, but most people still cook it to death out of habit.

Except that salmonella is much, much more common than trichinosis

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
If anything, Salmonella is more common than it was before, and there's more and more outbreaks of it owing to our INSATIABLE HUNGER FOR CHICKEN.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sociopastry posted:

Its shrimp, but I wish it wasn't

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Canned spreadable meat. The wonders of the industrial era.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes, there are two factors. One is that if the chicken is raised properly it won't be any more dangerous than beef and you can eat it raw if you want.

The problem with raw chicken isn't (just) how they're raised, but how they're prepared after being slaughtered. In America, I don't know about other places, it's standard practice to soak the birds in a vat of water before packaging. This makes them juicer, adds extra weight so they can charge you more, and is the main reason you want to cook them thoroughly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SynthOrange posted:

I ate that once. It's very, very salty.

Still better than Ukrainian or Kazakhstani rations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SynthOrange posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZW-P8CJ6ec

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

chicken probably is superior (in flavor) "undercooked" but because of farming and slaughtering practices in the usa (and other places, but i can only speak about the us from knowledge) you really really don't want to do this

otoh please don't cook your pork past pink on the inside unless you are slow cooking it your tongue will thank you

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Who wants pictures of the Kazakhstani ration I ate?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Deviled chicken or ham on sourdough with mustard and a little mayo was my poo poo when i was a kid and ill fight any one of you who says otherwise

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I used to love all varieties of tinned meat and meat pies as a kid because it was still better than my mums cooking :smith:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

NecroMonster posted:

chicken probably is superior (in flavor) "undercooked" but because of farming and slaughtering practices in the usa (and other places, but i can only speak about the us from knowledge) you really really don't want to do this

It's pretty much the same here in Sweden, and I imagine the rest of western Europe. When our FDA tested chicken recently about 15-20% contained Campylobacter, which isn't as bad as Salmonella, but still bad enough that you want to avoid eating rare chicken. Organic and free range chicken had a larger chance of being contaminated than industrial raised chickens.

They found practically no contaminated beef, pork or lamb.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
What is it specifically that makes chicken so filthy with germs as opposed to pork or beef? Something in the raising/butchering standards or some sort of moral failing of the chickens part?

For content, brazilian feijoada is delicious but doesn't really photograph well:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

I think it's most widely recognized as a French countryside preparation.

What?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When you read those internet blogs about food what with the overly wordy life stories, if its not about Japanese chicken sashimi its usually somebody who is all I was staying with a host family in France and they gave me the craziest barely cooked chicken.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Bubblyblubber posted:

What is it specifically that makes chicken so filthy with germs as opposed to pork or beef? Something in the raising/butchering standards or some sort of moral failing of the chickens part?

I read somewhere that it has to do with the combination of chickens being raised in factory farms (thus, being coated in their own filth all day err day), and the use of water chillers, which the filth-coated chickens are dunked in before transportation to the store.

I feel like this is missing some important steps in between but I know I read something along those lines.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

When you read those internet blogs about food what with the overly wordy life stories, if its not about Japanese chicken sashimi its usually somebody who is all I was staying with a host family in France and they gave me the craziest barely cooked chicken.

What the foodie blogger doesn't realize is that these French farmers simply tried to kill him with undercooked chicken to steal his iPhone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

ChickenWing posted:

I read somewhere that it has to do with the combination of chickens being raised in factory farms (thus, being coated in their own filth all day err day), and the use of water chillers, which the filth-coated chickens are dunked in before transportation to the store.

I feel like this is missing some important steps in between but I know I read something along those lines.

Also chickens are just terrible, they'll poo poo in water and then drink the shitwater.
Here's an article by Seanbaby to tell you more http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-things-no-one-tells-you-about-living-farm/