Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

That's the whole reason I love this game, you sometimes make 'wrong' choices and the ramifications are often not what you expected at the time. Would you tell someone the right or wrong choice at choosing between the tree spirit or the crones?

Or choosing between the boy king or the girl king at Kaer Trohold?

I do understand your meaning that some decisions don't clearly lay out the very-large consequences they result in but that's exactly the source of joy for me when I played it. I'd make a tiny choice and it would blow up so badly. That's the game CDPR made. So I just don't get the satisfaction in making choices for another player. You may be letting them experience the most dialogue or whatever but the sense of ownership is robbed -- this is a game where you are meant to gently caress up because nobody should tell you what will happen as a result.

I agree, literally the only choices I suggested making for a player were not shoving (assassination plot) and doing the HoS wedding quest by losing a card game to the halflings immediately at the wedding in HoS.

Maybe those are sacrosanct stuff I should spoiler, but I only mention them because they're not the obvious options.

Witcher gives you numerous options to be a ruthless shitbag or whatever, those few in particular are not what they might seem.

in this case, the non-obvious actions are the "best," so I suggest them without actually detailing their consequences

lose to the halflings at the HoS wedding and see what happens, I dare you :v: rear end

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Pellisworth posted:

lose to the halflings at the HoS wedding and see what happens, I dare you :v: rear end

I'm pretty bad at Gwent so they beat me fairly and then I rocked my punishment like a star, I made it look good

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Digirat posted:

Hey person who started the game, here's some spoilers! Here you go!

While I agree with your post for the most part, the assassination one is something I'm glad I asked about when I played and got spoiled for. It would be a shame to gently caress that up. And unlike the other choices it isn't at all clear what Geralt is actually gonna do there. That said once it happens it's easy enough to reload I guess.

Also I'm now replaying on death march. Finding all the oils and bombs I want is kind of a pain.

edit: Spoiling the other things is pretty pointless and annoying though. Who wouldn't make the obvious choice for the drinking night? All telling someone about that spoils is the existence of it which is a nice surprise (and it's on the main path so it can't even be missed).

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 21, 2016

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

The base game has been out for a year, it's pretty stupid to obsess about spoilers at this point.

I don't understand this justification where X has been out for "insert time here" therefore spoiler tags stop being used. It's like people can't comprehend that a person doesn't buy the game or see the movie immediately after it's released and it's their own darned fault if things are spoiled for them.

I've only just picked up this game and it's been nice seeing that most of the posters here are still pretty mindful to hide anything that could be considered a spoiler.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Also Yeah he draws two cards but you're giving one to your opponent basically.
Dude, spies are the most powerful cards in the game. Basically getting another card in Gwent (be it by using a dummy, medic or spy) is infinitely more useful than card power. I'm telling this to you so that the next time you win a spy you also immediately put him into your deck until you have each and every one in there.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hmm. Well, since I only have lovely cards I started with, I'll have to see when I get more.

Like right now my spy is likely to draw me lovely 1 power guys which does not make up for the stuff I gave my opponent

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

A Sometimes Food posted:

While I agree with your post for the most part, the assassination one is something I'm glad I asked about when I played and got spoiled for.

Yeah, there's a difference between small actions having unintended consequences and what the game says you're going to do being vastly different from what you actually do. Witcher 2 had a few bits where a simple choice of "no" would result in Geralt going on a gently caress you frenzy - I got flashbacks to that playing LA Noire. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Any tips for levelling up Aerondight? I'm not sure if everyone's dying before I get enough charges or what, but it's falling behind my level.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Gwent for idiots like me.

Buy every card from listed merchants. The Harviken innkeeper only appears after meditating. Another merchant dies in a side-quest so do this early.

Win cards from no-name merchants. You can win a random card from a fixed pool from each merchant once until the pool is exhausted. I missed playing the Downwarren merchant because he got hanged for some reason but I didn't lose out any cards.

As long as the collect Em All quest is active you cant fail it.

One slight error in the Gwent book. The White Orchard Scholar's card is found at Hangman's tree if you dont beat him in the prologue.

I found a card as loot in Following the Thread.

You can forgo playing some dudes as they may die or disappear due the plot. Their card drop will be in a quest-marked location.

You can choose to sell the Cards found in A Dangerous Game if you're a bigger idiot. The cards can be found in a late story mission.

Stick to using the 3 spies found in the Northern and Nilfgaard decks if you want the easiest ride. Commanders horn, Decoy and Scorch are invaluable for their synergy.

Using spies, try to get the opponent to exhaust most of their hand before they pass. You may need to lose a round to do so.

Hold off on doing A Matter of Life and Death until you get a better deck. This may stink if you're close to doing the Isle of Mists.

Don't do High Stakes until you're above level 30.

Use no more cards than you have to. 22 normal cards, 10 Special cards.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Find something numerous and weak, like pixies in Land of Thousand Fables or drowners. If you land perfect Whirl, you'll have killed most of them and taking out the last stragglers for permanent power is relatively easy. Other option is slow but durable, like golems.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Gamerofthegame posted:

play it in spurts tho

unfortunately the game proper is pretty samey and you'll get burnt the gently caress out if you go ham on it and it's like 80 hours long

I've been playing like once a week for 2-3 hours at a time for months now and it's so the way to go with this.

It's like I'm tuning in each week to another episode of Geralt the Warrior Princess.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
that would take like five years

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sebmojo posted:

'don't do all the ?'s in Skellige unless you are literally autistic and hate fun' is like the #1 quality of life tip in this thread.

I guess I'm "literally autistic and hate fun".

EDIT: lol at this being called autistic right as people had a huge meltdown over minor "spoilers" in a year old game.

The most "major" one was dont shove Dijkstra and people have directly said several times "don't shove a person when given the option" in this thread not sure why people were so mad about it this time.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 21, 2016

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
My character in The Wild Hunt is only level 20, grew tired of the game on Skellige last year but I'm interested in playing the expansions.

Is there a really quick way to level/cheat my way to the 30s? Would I miss out on anything by just starting a new character for the expansions? And is it recommended to have finished the story in W3 before playing them?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

PirateBob posted:

My character in The Wild Hunt is only level 20, grew tired of the game on Skellige last year but I'm interested in playing the expansions.

Is there a really quick way to level/cheat my way to the 30s? Would I miss out on anything by just starting a new character for the expansions? And is it recommended to have finished the story in W3 before playing them?

There's an option when starting a new game to have an expansion only character, provided you have at least one of the expansions, natch.

There's some dialogue differences depending how how far along, or what choices were made in the main plot but nothing major.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

PirateBob posted:

If ur on PC just give urself the XP. The "quickest" way to level in the game is the quests, particularly story quests. Some of the PoIs give great XP. The abandoned villages are like 150 XP for liberating.

Mobs give near none, so that's a different thing from RPGs.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Rather Dashing posted:

There's some dialogue differences depending how how far along, or what choices were made in the main plot but nothing major.

The epilogue of B&W is directly related to your choices in the story.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

If ur on PC just give urself the XP. The "quickest" way to level in the game is the quests, particularly story quests. Some of the PoIs give great XP. The abandoned villages are like 150 XP for liberating.

Mobs give near none, so that's a different thing from RPGs.

Cool. How much of the main W3 story do I have left (approx. hours?) if I'm on "In Ciri's footsteps - find out if Ciri is in Skellige" ?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

JetsGuy posted:

I guess I'm "literally autistic and hate fun".

EDIT: lol at this being called autistic right as people had a huge meltdown over minor "spoilers" in a year old game.

The most "major" one was dont shove Dijkstra and people have directly said several times "don't shove a person when given the option" in this thread not sure why people were so mad about it this time.

you should always shove that person, always. book geralt did it and so should you.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Gamerofthegame posted:

play it in spurts tho

unfortunately the game proper is pretty samey and you'll get burnt the gently caress out if you go ham on it and it's like 80 hours long

I've played this game for a whole year. I don't have much time to play games, but I have not got bored of this game at all. Samey is the last word I would use to describe it.

Edit: to clarify, my year was just one playthrough of the entire game, expansions included. I cannot comment on multiple playthroughs, that's not my scene.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 21, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

PirateBob posted:

Cool. How much of the main W3 story do I have left (approx. hours?) if I'm on "In Ciri's footsteps - find out if Ciri is in Skellige" ?

Your not even halfway through the story (though kinda close). IIRC the quest after that one is considered the halfway point and you get a boatload of levels at the halfway point quests.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Vikar Jerome posted:

you should always shove that person, always. book geralt did it and so should you.

killing Radovid is far too much fun to give up just to shove Dijkstra. Also is it me or did they change he dialog option? I don't remember it saying "forcibly" last time. L

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Pellisworth posted:

Chug potions, decoctions, kill this poo poo out of everything while high as a kite.

Good advice for IRL too.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Konsek posted:

I've played this game for a whole year. I don't have much time to play games, but I have not got bored of this game at all. Samey is the last word I would use to describe it.

Edit: to clarify, my year was just one playthrough of the entire game, expansions included. I cannot comment on multiple playthroughs, that's not my scene.

The dialog, characters and world as a whole is great, but the game play proper re:combat and getting to dat fukken quest marker doesn't really change from what you experienced in White Orchard, ever.

Part of this is simply because dodge is actually kind of broken and you should do it all the time.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PirateBob posted:

If you follow the main quest it will dump tons of levels on you and there is some very cool stuff coming up.

Like JetsGuy said you're about halfway through the main plot and game overall depending on how much side questing you've done.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

If you follow the main quest it will dump tons of levels on you and there is some very cool stuff coming up.

Like JetsGuy said you're about halfway through the main plot and game overall depending on how much side questing you've done.

Alright, thanks. I guess I will stick to it and finish it, if this is indeed the last game in the Witcher series (?)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PirateBob posted:

Alright, thanks. I guess I will stick to it and finish it, if this is indeed the last game in the Witcher series (?)

It is the last Geralt game and the last game set in the Witcher world for a long time. Their next project is a cyperbunk game.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PirateBob posted:

Well, for a very long time. Cyberpunk 2077 is going to take up all their time for awhile.

Arglebargle III posted:

Their next project is a cyperbunk game.
lol

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Thanks for the pointers about brawling, I still suck but not nearly as much as before. I just started the Hearts of Stone quests and they are really a delight so far, really well put together.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I know this has been answered a hundred times before but there's a warning before the last point of no return right? I want to go right up to that point before I start heart of stone

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The point of no return is at the beginning of act three. You get locked into about five hours of main story but then it opens up again.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Digirat posted:

I know this has been answered a hundred times before but there's a warning before the last point of no return right? I want to go right up to that point before I start heart of stone
Yes there is a very clear message you get.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Digirat posted:

You can keep playing after finishing the main quest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gamerofthegame posted:

that would take like five years

Finishing up just in time for the release of Cyberpunk!

:negative:

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Does anyone else have the problem where they can't loot snow hares after they've killed them?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I can honestly say I've never tried.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

PirateBob posted:

No, Gwent beta starts soon :v:.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I googled to see what other Witcher games are released out there and did you guys know there was a Witcher MOBA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61MbVrdxeA

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Where are you supposed to get the bulk of your experience early game? I did like 5 sub quest and all the story stuff up to helping the bloody baron and I'm still only level 5 with most quests being from level 10 and up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DrManiac posted:

Where are you supposed to get the bulk of your experience early game? I did like 5 sub quest and all the story stuff up to helping the bloody baron and I'm still only level 5 with most quests being from level 10 and up.

do bloody baron, it owns and the main quest stuff (which baron is a part of) dumps huge amounts of XP on you

there's really only one tough fight (against a bunch of wraiths) in the Baron chain, it's a lot of dialogue so don't worry about being low level