Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Until the Light Takes Us was good except it basically skips over the entire part of how Varg was a huge Nazi and is generally creepily on his side about everything. I know the film makers have said that they figured anyone watching the movie knew what was up and they wanted to let him implicate himself by just letting him talk and dig a hole in front of a camera, but it doesn't really come across like that, instead it almost feels like they have a weird reverence for Varg in a downright creeptastic way.

If someone were to cut Until the Light Takes Us and Once Upon A Time in Norway together into a single film you might actually get one decent doc about Black Metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

KozmoNaut posted:

I have a friend who's got a gigantic tape collection of mostly black metal. Most of it is like 1 of only 20 tapes ever made of that album, released on various extremely obscure Eastern European or South American labels that you can only order from if you know someone who knows someone. Forget about online stores or even email, for most of them you have to send a letter or call them directly. Or you have to know which obscure unannounced tape trader get-together to attend. It's even more ridiculous than it sounds.

These are labels which distribute neo-nazi music where it is illegal. I doubt they publish their phone numbers, you just need to "know someone" for obvious reasons. If it's more than 20 copies you'll usually find them in distro lists in America and Finland. These also overlap with the labels/distros which churn out 33 copies on CD-R and have a webshop in places where it is legal to sell that stuff.

You're not missing anything. Just look up "Tank Genocide" on YouTube if you're wondering why there's a band with 146 releases limited to double digits and they're still available.

...but those international Nazi propaganda networks aren't really unnerving, so I'll get back to writing about our favorite Norwegian murderers! Which is more unnerving?

"he stabbed him 37 times"
"he stabbed him 23 times in self defense"

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Until the Light Takes Us was good except it basically skips over the entire part of how Varg was a huge Nazi and is generally creepily on his side about everything. I know the film makers have said that they figured anyone watching the movie knew what was up and they wanted to let him implicate himself by just letting him talk and dig a hole in front of a camera, but it doesn't really come across like that, instead it almost feels like they have a weird reverence for Varg in a downright creeptastic way.

If someone were to cut Until the Light Takes Us and Once Upon A Time in Norway together into a single film you might actually get one decent doc about Black Metal.

I actually thought Until The Light Takes us did a great job of making Varg seem crazy but just letting him talk :shrug:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I've read a lot about Warsaw from Jews. Never thought that there might be even more horror in a story from a German. But among the Jews and the Poles, at least you had stories of people trying to be kind and decent to each other amid all the horror.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Best thing to read about Varg is his own take on the Euronymous murder, which is so batshit crazy it really explains everything you might need to know about it.

His defense is basically ''Euronymous invited me to his house, so he was obviously going to murder me. So I stabbed him like twenty times in self defense.''

fake edit: gently caress it, let me quote the man

http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/a_burzum_story02.shtml

[quote="Varg" post=""""]
Euronymous was waiting for me in entrance, looking very nervous, and I handed him the contract. I may add that of course he was nervous. The guy he planned to murder showed up at his doorstep in the middle of the night. I then asked him what the "f***" he was up to, and when I took a step forwards he panicked. He freaked out and attacked me with a kick in the chest. I simply threw him to the door, and was a bit stunned. I wasn't stunned by his kick, but by the fact he had attacked me. I didn't expect that. Not in his apartment and not like that. He had just started to train "kick boxing" and like all beginners thought he had become "Bruce Lee" overnight, but still.

After a few seconds he jumped from the floor and dashed for the kitchen. I knew he had a knife lying on the kitchen table, and I figured that "if he's going to have a knife, I'm going to have a knife too". My belt knife was in the car, because it was in the belt I had left there, but I had a pocket knife, or rather a boot knife (with an 8 cm long blade) in my pocket. I jumped out in front of him and managed to stop him before he got his hands on the kitchen knife. At this point he had showed his intentions, so when he ran for the bedroom I figured he was going for another weapon. He had some weeks earlier told some people that he would soon get the shotgun back from the police (used by "Dead" when he shot himself), so I figured that was what he was going for, or he was going for his stun-gun. (Although he actually didn't have a stun-gun or the shotgun in his apartment, I didn't know that.) I gave chase, stabbed him and was a bit surprised when he ran out of the apartment instead. It made no sense to flee and it made me angry to know that he had started the fight, but the moment it didn't go his way he decided to flee instead, instead of fighting like a man. Such is always something I have disliked strongly.

[/quote]

and in the middle of this murder talk, let's also talk about what really bothers me

[quote="Varg" post=""""]
I don't know if this is embarrassing or just stupid, but the guy in the apartment actually used to claim he was me, when he was out. He actually used "Hi, I'm the Count" as a pick-up line when hitting on girls (?!). I know this because some girls came up to me and told me about it. So if he indeed wore my jacket and walked around in Bergen trying to make people think he was me, it doesn't necessarily mean he tried to give me an alibi. It is rather a testimony to how incredibly pathetic he was - and just how low some human beings can sink to get laid. I may add that I don't think this pick-up line was particularly effective, not least considering that it was very easy for the girls to know that he wasn't "the Count". Bergen is a very small town of only 130.000 (or 250.000 if you include the whole municipality) people and pretty much everybody there and at that time knew how I looked, so what on Earth was he thinking about?! He wasn't even from Bergen (but from Lillehammer in Eastern Norway), and everybody could hear that the moment he opened his mouth.

[/quote]

:laffo:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zodijackylite posted:

...but those international Nazi propaganda networks aren't really unnerving

That's an uh interesting sentence to read

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Phanatic posted:

Story behind this guy, Michael Peterson, is that he's supposedly the most violent criminal in England.

A woman I know exchanges letters with him and is so obsessed she actually named her son after him. I find that pretty disturbing in itself.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Flopstick posted:

A woman I know exchanges letters with him and is so obsessed she actually named her son after him. I find that pretty disturbing in itself.

Isn't there some quasi-medical term for people attracted to murderers? Posters itt would know, I am sure.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Varg made a roleplaying game, Myfarog, and the RPG subforum went over it, and it's pretty much just like Varg: once you strip out the racism and the weirdness of knowing that he's an actual convicted murderer, it's nothing to write home about. It's another D&D clone in a sea full of them, full of pointlessly complicated rules for "realism." This one has a half-baked setting built around Glorious Aryan Supermen fighting foreign christian weaklings, but honestly, it's not even the first of those among D&D knockoffs. Also, it's written with the Papyrus font, which really drives home how half-assed the whole thing is.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Isn't there some quasi-medical term for people attracted to murderers? Posters itt would know, I am sure.

Hybristophilia. Although Charles Bronson never actually killed anyone. He just punched people and beat up washing machines.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Nckdictator posted:

Alright, I just read the worst thing ever. An account of the Warsaw Uprising by a Wehrmacht solider.

http://www.warsawuprising.com/witness/schenk.htm

"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Dirlewanger posted:

Dirlewanger was arrested on 1 June 1945 near the town of Altshausen in Upper Swabia by the French occupation zone authorities while wearing civilian clothes and hiding under a false name in a remote hunting lodge – reportedly recognised by a former Jewish concentration camp inmate – and brought to a detention centre. He died around 5–7 June 1945 in a prison camp at Altshausen, probably as a result of ill-treatment.[13][14][34][35] The exact cause of Dirlewanger's death is unknown, which over time led to speculation. His death certificate issued by French authorities stated that Dirlewanger died on 7 June 1945 of natural causes. However, the certificate has been questioned, especially by German historians.[36] According to Rolf Michaelis,[37] a Luftwaffe lieutenant named Anton Füssinger claimed he was Dirlewanger's cell mate, and said that he witnessed Dirlewanger being gravely beaten by Polish guards in French service on the night of 4 to 5 June, resulting in his death.

:unsmith:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nckdictator posted:

Alright, I just read the worst thing ever. An account of the Warsaw Uprising by a Wehrmacht solider.

The most unnerving part of that is that he wasn't hanged after the war, tbh.

edit: like that's a lot of "knife fights" to be in so I'm thinking he embellished times he bayoneted civilians, not to mention that he was a demolitions man in a conflict where the city was destroyed and a couple hundred thousand people were murdered as reprisal

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Aug 21, 2016

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

BattleMaster posted:

edit: like that's a lot of "knife fights" to be in so I'm thinking he embellished times he bayoneted civilians, not to mention that he was a demolitions man in a conflict where the city was destroyed and a couple hundred thousand people were murdered as reprisal

Yeah, the "knife fights" raise an eyebrow but it was urban warfare so it's possible. I would be shocked if he hadn't omitted some details though considering it's basic human nature to try to make yourself look good. That's one thing that's frustrating when reading or listening to accounts of Axis soldiers is it's difficult to know if their being 100% open and honest or are neglecting to mention certain details.

A book I've been skimming through (Mussolini's Death March) is a collection of interviews with Italians who had the misfortune to fight on the Eastern Front and it's really frustrating with this. "Oh. we never harmed any Russian civilians or committed war crimes, it was all the Germans and we were shocked and horrified." Again, that's vaguely possible I guess (the decision to send troops the Russia was quite unpopular in Italy) but when every single one interviewed says the same thing it seems odd considering the pure brutality of the Eastern Front.

One interview that stood out though for the fact that one barely had to read between the lines contained a passage to the effect of: "Out troop train was passing through Poland and we were really confused why the German's were being mean to the Jews there. We managed to hide a attractive Jewish doctor on our train and out of pure gratitude she had sex with most of our officers. The next day the Germans took her away though and that kinda annoyed us"

It's just maddening.

Nckdictator has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Aug 21, 2016

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

"Knife fight" can also be used as a colloquialism for a fight at extremely close range.

Extraordinary Perdition
Nov 7, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

Yeah, the "knife fights" raise an eyebrow but it was urban warfare so it's possible. I would be shocked if he hadn't omitted some details though considering it's basic human nature to try to make yourself look good. That's one thing that's frustrating when reading or listening to accounts of Axis soldiers is it's difficult to know if their being 100% open and honest or are neglecting to mention certain details.

A book I've been skimming through (Mussolini's Death March) is a collection of interviews with Italians who had the misfortune to fight on the Eastern Front and it's really frustrating with this. "Oh. we never harmed any Russian civilians or committed war crimes, it was all the Germans and we were shocked and horrified." Again, that's vaguely possible I guess (the decision to send troops the Russia was quite unpopular in Italy) but when every single one interviewed says the same thing it seems odd considering the pure brutality of the Eastern Front.

One interview that stood out though for the fact that one barely had to read between the lines contained a passage to the effect of: "Out troop train was passing through Poland and we were really confused why the German's were being mean to the Jews there. We managed to hide a attractive Jewish doctor on our train and out of pure gratitude she had sex with most of our officers. The next day the Germans took her away though and that kinda annoyed us"

It's just maddening.

Sometimes I think, wouldn't it be great if cameras were as available in world war 2 as they are now so we could see the truth . . . then I think nope, maybe some things are better forgotten. And then i watch youtubes from Syria and realise it would have been exactly the same - war crimes, torture, massacres - just on a bigger scale.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Zodijackylite posted:

This concludes Part 1. Part 2 will deal with a bit more context and history, as well as Mayhem in the aftermath of Dead's suicide. That means murders and church burnings, and when there's only one member left, they finally release an album.

Awesome write up - where's the rest!

Being Norwegian and too young to have followed this as it unfolded I was always interested in the whole story. I was in sort of a BM environment in my teens and this ~saga~ was always a big topic (and obviously riddled with rumours and made-up stuff).

My husband gets so much poo poo when Varg is brought up just for sharing the same and "aryan" looks. It's still a powerful cultural reference in Norway.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Anyone else remember that guy who did the very polarizing Dragon Age 2 LP on this forum, and after a ton of drama surrounding it eventually got banned for good when he tried to do a New Vegas gimmick LP as Varg Vilkernes?

man what a tryhard

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How does an LP cause drama?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Volume posted:

How does an LP cause drama?

the LP subforum is a special place with special people

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

the LP subforum is a special place with special people

What exactly was polorizing about the DA2 LP though?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

What exactly was polorizing about the DA2 LP though?

it seemed to almost be intentionally low-quality and the jokes were bad

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Alaois posted:

it seemed to almost be intentionally low-quality and the jokes were bad

A lot like the game itself

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

HUMAN FISH posted:

A lot like the game itself

that was the main defense of the thread :v:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Playing video games and making sub par MST3K commentary on the internet is a big deal and should be taken seriously. If you're not gonna put out a quality product it's not just insulting, it's irresponsible.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Playing video games and making sub par MST3K commentary on the internet is a big deal and should be taken seriously. If you're not gonna put out a quality product it's not just insulting, it's irresponsible.

throwing stones at LP while posting in PYF isn't a glass house, it's a shack made of rock candy

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

lizard_phunk posted:

Awesome write up - where's the rest!

Being Norwegian and too young to have followed this as it unfolded I was always interested in the whole story. I was in sort of a BM environment in my teens and this ~saga~ was always a big topic (and obviously riddled with rumours and made-up stuff).

My husband gets so much poo poo when Varg is brought up just for sharing the same and "aryan" looks. It's still a powerful cultural reference in Norway.

Glad you like it. The next section is taking a while, and will be by far the longest for two reasons: there are simply too many good bits of popular story to pass up, and I'd like to talk about the characters a bit more - as people, not just as caricatures. It simply isn't covered in most sensationalist accounts of it, and I noticed that a lot of people picked up on the human element of Dead. They're not just boogeymen, and you can sympathize with parts of their story that don't involve stabbing a guy in the back of the head.

One thing to respond to. Varg is the greatest antagonist ever. When he started Burzum, he heard everyone used Marshall amps, so he bought a Peavey. Two years later he was using a fuzz pedal plugged into a stereo. The visual aesthetics of his early works are iconic, and often imitated - the old English font used for the logo is a perfect fit. That's why he uses Papyrus font on *everything* now. It's antithetical to the aesthetics of black metal. It's comically annoying. It really annoys people on the internet, and that's why Varg uses it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who's casting stones? We all live in the same glass house. I'd say it's more like giving your brother a wet willy.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Alaois posted:

Anyone else remember that guy who did the very polarizing Dragon Age 2 LP on this forum, and after a ton of drama surrounding it eventually got banned for good when he tried to do a New Vegas gimmick LP as Varg Vilkernes?

man what a tryhard

If you want some real creepiness related to that game, read about how much Anders Behring Breivik loved Dragon Age 2 (I believe he mentions it in his manifesto).
If you try to take a look through a twisted mind, there are some eerie similarities:

In DA2, the rogue misunderstood and tortured mage Anders blows up the seat of Templar power with a bomb and basically slaughters half a city.

If video games inspired Norway's biggest terrorist, I don't think it can be blamed on WoW.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nckdictator posted:

He mentions Derlwanger a few times. Derlwanger was such a sadistic piece of poo poo he got kicked OUT of the SS. When the god drat SS is saying " Nein, this guy is real rear end in a top hat" you know you've got problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Dirlewanger

Come And See, quite possibly the most disturbing and depressing movie ever made was based on what Dirlewanger did in Belarus.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

He mentions Derlwanger a few times. Derlwanger was such a sadistic piece of poo poo he got kicked OUT of the SS. When the god drat SS is saying " Nein, this guy is real rear end in a top hat" you know you've got problems.

Come And See, quite possibly the most disturbing and depressing movie ever made was based on what Dirlewanger did in Belarus.

jesus christ he looks like loving ghoul. i remember reading some hosed story about how some of his soldiers(maybe him as well) raped a girl and gutted her with a bayonet at the same time and she was only like 13 or something. i mean he led a penal battalion of brutal loving monsterts. its like a nazi dirty dozen if they were all that rapist played by telly savalis. he was in charge of this number right here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wola_massacre this poo poo made even the standard SS sick. i am glad he died horribly.

Dapper_Swindler has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Aug 21, 2016

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yeah, i posted about him a while back in one of these threads. Out of curiosity I decided to Google him the other night to see what more information was out there, which led me to that interview. On a more unnerving note it also brought up a forum that was full of Wehraboos and posts like "Well Derlwanger was not a nice guy but he was really brave and strong and manly and that's why I have an avatar of his unit's logo. By the way, I'm not racist"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

Yeah, i posted about him a while back in one of these threads. Out of curiosity I decided to Google him the other night to see what more information was out there, which led me to that interview. On a more unnerving note it also brought up a forum that was full of Wehraboos and posts like "Well Derlwanger was not a nice guy but he was really brave and strong and manly and that's why I have an avatar of his unit's logo. By the way, I'm not racist"

how is he brave? lol. "yeah he was really brave, that small child he raped to death could have killed him" also even if you are a nazi loving dipshit, why would you pick him. pick rommel or someone you can at least call honorable or some poo poo.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

lizard_phunk posted:

If you want some real creepiness related to that game, read about how much Anders Behring Breivik loved Dragon Age 2 (I believe he mentions it in his manifesto).
If you try to take a look through a twisted mind, there are some eerie similarities:

In DA2, the rogue misunderstood and tortured mage Anders blows up the seat of Templar power with a bomb and basically slaughters half a city.

If video games inspired Norway's biggest terrorist, I don't think it can be blamed on WoW.

I'm starting to really dislike that guy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lizard_phunk posted:

a lovely person loves a lovely game. makes sense.

ohhhhhh

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

a lovely person loves a lovely game. makes sense.

ohhhhhh

I was about to say there was no way Breivik liked DA2 Anders cause he was gay, but I looked it up and apparently Breivik was strongly pro-homsexuality. Learn something new every day I guess

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

I was about to say there was no way Breivik liked DA2 Anders cause he was gay, but I looked it up and apparently Breivik was strongly pro-homsexuality. Learn something new every day I guess

hmm I never knew that. so he just hates brown people?

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

Cumslut1895 posted:

I'm starting to really dislike that guy

Yeah, he sounds like a real jerk!

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how is he brave? lol. "yeah he was really brave, that small child he raped to death could have killed him" also even if you are a nazi loving dipshit, why would you pick him. pick rommel or someone you can at least call honorable or some poo poo.

Some people get way into Nazi Germany for their own good. To quote some reply's from a supposed "Historical-research" message board I found.

quote:

...That he was an arsehole is beyond doubt and he finally paid the price for that.

With all his character faults Dirlewanger was personally also extemely brave and a dedicated patriot to the cause he believed in.

quote:

That's very true. Oskar Dirlewanger was, by most accounts, an objectionable character but his personal courage and dedication to the cause in which he believed were beyond doubt. He was, however, prone to excessive behaviour and was censured for this on several occasions by Himmler's office.

quote:

...Of course looking at the 1944 Warsaw uprising from purely a German Military viewpoint, (and in no way denigrating the event) in modern parlance it would be an uprising in occupied territory by organised militant insurgents (or terrorists) that were breaking the law of the land and needed to be crushed.
I do not condone the methods used in this no quarter given battle, but believe some similarities can be drawn with Operation Phantom Fury in Fallujah...

quote:

...Unfortunately, one cannot really take prisoners when operating in the bush, usually behind enemy lines or in partisan-infested zones. As for civilians, well, if they see you, you should kill them on the spot so that they cannot inform on you. When fighting ideologically-driven partisans and terrorists, such as the Reds in areas occupied by the Wehrmacht, there is no real alternative to killing them.

Men like Dirlewanger and Kaminski, and many of the men under their command, were therefore ideal for the job. That is the brutal truth of it. As for his interest in little girls, I think the issue hinges on how 'little' these underage girls were. Roman Polanski was accused of statutory rape of a minor but everyone knows he was set up by a well-developed Lolita and her scheming mother.

Maybe the schoolgirl in the Dirlewanger case was trading herself for better marks in her coursework. Maybe Dirlewanger was a violent sexual predator. I do not know the details of the case. Until someone posts the case records here, there is no point in believing any of the accounts one reads on the internet because most of them are written by people with agendas of one kind or another.

quote:

" Out of interest when was it “appropriate” for the Dirlewanger and Kaminski and their men to murder, loot and rape?"

By THEIR terms, whenever they were trying to terrorise the locals into denying their support to the partisans, of course. Remember what terrorism is - its making normal people afraid to do normal things....like feed or clothe or house their fellow citizens, who happen to be partisans in this case. It was a very simple equation - at that time We can't measure it against our sensitivities after 60 years of peace and nice thoughts. It wasn't our sort of a world.

quote:

...Unfortunately, there is only one way of dealing with communist ideologues and their followers and that is killing them. It is the only efficient solution.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BattleMaster posted:

From the description of Schenck's actions while relating his story he evidently had a bad case of the horrors. Hanging him might have been kinder even if he was guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

Some people get way into Nazi Germany for their own good. To quote some reply's from a supposed "Historical-research" message board I found.

So we can vote on this weird rear end poo poo being the most unnerving in the thread right? Do people really think he's so cool that they can pretend the pedophilia and necrophilia was just incidental? Because drat.