Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's interesting to hear because the tone of Higurashi's anime was something I really dug, particularly in the Question arcs before you knew what the hell was going on. That's probably my favorite part of the Umineko VN as well, though a lot of that might just be the god-tier OST setting the mood so wonderfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the anime skipped over things for time which resulted in the plot not being very well explained so they had to put together an extra arc or two just to get information out there. i didn't think it did a very good job even then but i read the vn first so i'm probably naturally inclined to see it that way.

also iirc they randomly threw out a second half spoiler waaaaay early just for shock value and that bugged the hell out of me.
edit: just checked holy poo poo it's worse than I remembered, what the gently caress

the rei op was cool for how well it caught the oppressive tone of that arc though

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 20, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I did enjoy the anime but I didn't really understand the answers to the mystery or the way it fitted together thematically until I read the VN. Which is a shame because I think everything comes together very well at the end in the VN.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Raxivace posted:

That's interesting to hear because the tone of Higurashi's anime was something I really dug, particularly in the Question arcs before you knew what the hell was going on. That's probably my favorite part of the Umineko VN as well, though a lot of that might just be the god-tier OST setting the mood so wonderfully.

I never watched the Higurashi anime but in the VN I would say that the answer arcs were better than the question ones. The way the reveals were done was nice (except for the final chapter one which kinda dragged a bit) and it felt like it actually continued building on the concepts established before while increasing the stakes, instead of taking a sharp right turn like Umineko did in its second half.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I still wanna know if his best friend's death genuinely affected how Umineko's story progressed or not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, there's no way it couldn't. I think it's silly to pin literally everything on that one thing, like some kind of magic bullet, but if even a casual acquaintance of mine died it'd affect how I chose to tell a story, let alone one of my closest friends.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

either way, the ending to umineko is perfect, and if anyone disagrees with me i'll act like im cool with it but secretly be real mad

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think some explanations were skipped out in the last couple of episodes (possibly due to time constraints) but thematically I think it's pretty clear that the ending was always going to be what it was.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought the ending was really silly and bad when I read it years ago, though I might feel differently about it now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

haha that's fair, different strokes, haha

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Raxivace posted:

Basically the Higurashi anime presents itself as more of a straight up horror story, rather than the drama/tragedy with horror elements that the VN goes with. I'd say it arguably only really works as intended in the first arc. Other issues were that the short run time for each arc (relatively speaking) and lack of most of the internal monologues meant that a lot of characterization was lost, it had none of the awesome music (nearly Umineko tier) from the VN Answer arcs, and honestly it's just kind of really ugly even if people convinced themselves at the time that it somehow made it "scarier" (it didn't, it just looked super bad!).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Raxivace posted:

I thought the ending was really silly and bad when I read it years ago, though I might feel differently about it now.

It helps to be able reread it all at your own pace

The first time I was reading Umineko I was actually following the releases, so we had 6 mo-year of speculation points while waiting for the next part to release and then be translated

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

It helps to be able reread it all at your own pace

The first time I was reading Umineko I was actually following the releases, so we had 6 mo-year of speculation points while waiting for the next part to release and then be translated
I think that was part of it for me (I jumped on slightly before the Episode 5 translation was put out, so I had a couple of years of too much speculation myself), though I was more bothered in the ending by all that stuff about Ange using "magic" to delude herself into thinking her family didn't die. It just struck me as a super unhealthy and bad message to send (Particularly after the emphasis on finding the truth in the first half of the story), and at the time it seemed like an uncritical endorsement of escapism to me. I don't care as much about the murders being "solved" in the story or whatever now.

Again, not sure how any of that might read to me now.

Nate RFB posted:

Basically the Higurashi anime presents itself as more of a straight up horror story, rather than the drama/tragedy with horror elements that the VN goes with. I'd say it arguably only really works as intended in the first arc. Other issues were that the short run time for each arc (relatively speaking) and lack of most of the internal monologues meant that a lot of characterization was lost, it had none of the awesome music (nearly Umineko tier) from the VN Answer arcs, and honestly it's just kind of really ugly even if people convinced themselves at the time that it somehow made it "scarier" (it didn't, it just looked super bad!).
Interesting. I'll have to give the VN's a look sometime.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 20, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Apparently it was just leaked that Dies Irae is getting a Steam release? I don't know much about that one other than the fact that it's chuuni and philosophical as hell, and everyone seems to love it. The version being localized is the all-ages re-release with extra content that most people seem to consider the definitive version.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I think that was part of it for me (I jumped on slightly before the Episode 5 translation was put out, so I had a couple of years of too much speculation myself), though I was more bothered in the ending by all that stuff about Ange using "magic" to delude herself into thinking her family didn't die. It just struck me as a super unhealthy and bad message to send (Particularly after the emphasis on finding the truth in the first half of the story), and at the time it seemed like an uncritical endorsement of escapism to me. I don't care as much about the murders being "solved" in the story or whatever now.
That's not really it. The decision was more to move on and accept an unknowable truth rather than spending her whole life trying to disprove what she saw in Eva's diary. Similarly in the earlier arcs Battler had no interest in finding the actual truth (ie, that someone he knew was the culprit) and would stop listening every time he was confronted with it. Eventually he accepted the witch instead.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

either way, the ending to umineko is perfect, and if anyone disagrees with me i'll act like im cool with it but secretly be real mad

I was spoiled on it, didn't wasn't enjoying the Umineko answer arks as much as the questions, and actually never bothered reading chapter 8. Good enough where it's still worth reading?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Apparently it was just leaked that Dies Irae is getting a Steam release? I don't know much about that one other than the fact that it's chuuni and philosophical as hell, and everyone seems to love it. The version being localized is the all-ages re-release with extra content that most people seem to consider the definitive version.

apparently its notoriously incredibly difficult to translate and had an extremely successful crowdfunding translation project, so it seems like it'll be worth checking out

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Cake Attack posted:

:same:

also higurashi is billed as a horror story and umineko as a murder mystery & they do have big elements of those but I'd put them in entirely different genres for the finished pieces

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best thing about dies irae is that the game's fanbase skewed so surprisingly female and loved the villains so much that they made a spinoff otome game about the villains

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the otome game is also a ripoff of interview with a vampire

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stexils posted:

apparently its notoriously incredibly difficult to translate and had an extremely successful crowdfunding translation project, so it seems like it'll be worth checking out

The crowdfunding project was for an anime and not a translation, I think the translation part is news. But yeah, I guess it's a super big deal so I look forward to it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Psn flash sale on norn9 and C:R Jic you haven't played them yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Steins;Gate 0 is getting a special edition release on PS4 and Vita.

Some of the stuff in there looks cool but I think I'll just stick with the regular PS4 version.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 21, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i'm still not sold on the idea of a S;G sequel, but i'll probably play it regardless.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'll wait for it to come out and see what you guys think. Please keep me updated, tia.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i'm still not sold on the idea of a S;G sequel, but i'll probably play it regardless.

I was hoping that it followed the Suzuha ending, as that's the closest thing to a good sequel hook I saw in Steins;Gate, but oh well. I'll probably end up playing it and complaining about it anyway.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is fata morgana any good

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yes.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
It's very good.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fata Morgana might be the best visual novel on Steam right now. It is extremely good.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

I was hoping that it followed the Suzuha ending, as that's the closest thing to a good sequel hook I saw in Steins;Gate, but oh well. I'll probably end up playing it and complaining about it anyway.

That would be great and it would have been cool and I almost said I hope they do that but 3 games out of one story is pushing it real hard

Selane
May 19, 2006

Just finished The House in Fata Morgana, and drat. I had to actually stop myself at one point yesterday because I realized I had been at it for 9 hours. The writing, art, and music are all about as good as it gets, and I'd say 12.99 for the 68 track soundtrack was a good deal too.

I think the thing I like most about the game though, is that this is probably the first game of any kind I've played with a convoluted-rear end story where I actually feel like I completely understand every part of it once its over, so good on them for that. Amazing translation too, unlike most VNs you actually forget that this game is Japanese while you're playing it.

I think the game benefited a lot from the relaxed pacing, nothing at all felt rushed and they took their sweet time telling every story that needed to be told, so even though it's complex it's pretty easy to follow the whole way through.

Overall probably my game of the year, and the same for the OST. Some of these Portuguese songs like Cicio and Giselle are crazy good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Fata Morgana might be the best visual novel on Steam right now. It is extremely good.

Woah, this is post G-Senjou no Maou, Higurashi 1-4 and Umineko 1-4. Is Fata Morgana really as good, if not better, than these?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

being better than g senjou isn't hard. I'm not super far but I can see it being better then Higurashi but it would need to become way better to touch umineko

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I love Umineko but I think Fata Morgana is a better all-round experience. The pacing and visuals are a lot stronger and I think the later chapters bring everything together a lot more cleanly (it took some supplemental materials and discussion before I really "got" Umineko's ending at all).

I would've put it below Umineko before those later chapters though so I don't really disagree with you.

e: It is my favourite VN but there are some recommended ones I haven't read/refuse to read.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 24, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Woah, this is post G-Senjou no Maou, Higurashi 1-4 and Umineko 1-4. Is Fata Morgana really as good, if not better, than these?

It's right up there, if not better than Umineko, yeah, and definitely better than Higurashi. The marketing for it is deceptive in a bad way, it's not just some weird gothic horror VN. It's a very complicated and intertwining series of some very human and emotional stories that are surprisingly well written. It's crazy, but easy to suspend your disbelief for. It's complex but easy to follow. It's just really freaking good. Great soundtrack, too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dang, that's some good praise. I need to grab it whenever it's on sale.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Higurashi chapter 4 isn't on steam yet.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MegaZeroX posted:

Higurashi chapter 4 isn't on steam yet.

Ah yeah, the post-credits scene in Ch.3 confused me slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I expect some people to not like Fata Morgana as much as I did, but even so it has been criminally overlooked by almost everyone. It deserves a lot more discussion than it has been getting, and deserves a lot more sales as well for that matter.