Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Pvt.Scott posted:

You can run from battles. :)

And good thing, too, otherwise I wouldn't have kept all the incredible loot I'd picked up to that point. Imagine a perfect dungeon crawl ended right at the end with four screeching madmen/women, gibbering and rolling around and playing scratch lotteries all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Episode 7 Notes, i.e. exploring things too small for their own post.

This episode is interesting since we explore a bunch of random oddities that I find too small to discuss in general. I was going to do just a post on the Necromancer, but we can fit some small tidbits in as well.

The Necromancer, Undead progenitor of the ruins.

The Necromancer, depending on how one plays, is usually the first boss players face off against and is a test to see if you can survive the rough and tumble fights that await you beyond this hurdle. If you couldn't guess, the Necromancer's main gimmick is summoning creatures; every attack the necromancer possesses also has the ability to summon a skeleton minion in front of him, and you don't address his creations ASAP then he will quickly run out of your reach and dole out punishment in bounds. As difficulties go up, the quality of minions the necromancer can summon increases as well, so hopefully your team is up to snuff for dealing with the undead before taking on this profane villain.

The Necromancer comes with three attacks:
-The Flesh is Willing is a gruesome attack where the necromancer stabs at the front two ranks with various bones and sinew accumulated from his vile arts. This attack does a fair bit of damage and comes with an 8% chance to crit. This attack is dangerous, but a well-prepared Vestal can negate all the damage it puts out.

-The Crawling Dead attacks the opposite side of the formation spectrum, dealing damage to your back rows with an 8% chance to crit. Much like the last attack, a properly trained vestal can respond to the damage in kind.

-Six Feet Under is probably his most dangerous attack, since it hits everyone for a decent amount of stress damage alongside the minion it summons. I consider this his most threatening attack since Stress is rather hard to remove if you don't anticipate it, and depending on how the walk to the Necromancer went, you might be starting the fight with enough stress to tip you over should he use this multiple times.

For fighting the Necromancer, as seen in the episode, Crusaders and Plague Doctors are wonderful for the fight. Crusader brings the damage for managing the summons, while the Plague Doctor controls the field with widespread stuns and blight. Your rank 2 fighter can be any ranged damage unit, I just like using the Grave Robber since the one we have right now is well built to dole out crits en masse. The big threat of this fight comes from the numbers he's capable of bringing to the fight, so once you're able to surmount that then the Necromancer's no big threat, especially since he lacks the normal action-economy benefits that other bosses have.

Secret Rooms

Secret rooms are a fun little thing added some time after the addition of The Collector. These rooms are the main reason why I bring keys to every dungeon nowadays. Now in order to find a secret room, you must scout it out; You cannot pull a cheap trick and just mash up to try and brute-force your way into a supposed secret room since they are an encounter generated from scouting and are not predetermined. I'm also not sure about this, but getting a map from a bookshelf or book pile won't reveal this since its supposed to be a hidden treasure that you wouldn't list in public documents.

Secret Rooms are always a plus, its just a matter of how much of a positive you want it to be. If you interact with it without any items, you will open it up to find a modest pile of three treasures for your time. However, if you use a skeleton key, your rewards are much more grand: You can recieve anywhere between 1-3 Puzzling Trapezohedrons worth 2500 each, along with a high chance of getting once of three rare accessories. These are heads of the "canon" adventurers for the Highwayman, Vestal and Man at Arms, and each provides a different buff at the cost of 20% more stress damage: Dismas' head gives you +25% damage along with the extra cost of -10% HP, Junia's head provides +33% Healing, and Barrista's head provides 13% PROT. These are wonderful accessories through the game in general, however once you get them they are removed from the spawn pool so do your best to not lose these. I'd also advise against selling them, but you can only get 150g for them anyways so unless you're super desperate I doubt you will. After watching some streams, I just learned that you can indeed get your heads back once they're lost. You can only get one head though unless the RNG stars align in a weird way..

Common Enemies

These enemies are found throughout all of the areas around your troubled estate. Sometimes they come in their own groups, other times they are woven into the local wildlife in order to mix up the team dynamic. Either way, you would do well to understand these enemies, lest you fall to them unceremoniously.

Brigands!

Brigand Cutthroat, Threat Level: High
-The Cutthroat is the weird hybrid class of Tank and DPS for the Brigands, and they are good at what they do. Bringing decent protection with their hardened leathers, possessing the deftness of a huckster, and bringing heavy damage with their twin blades, these guys can dish out damage super fast and take hits while doing so. These guys can hit the front two rows with Slice & Dice for decent damage at a high crit rate, they can Uppercut Slice you for small damage and a knockback at nearly all ranks, they can Shank anyone for high damage and bleed, and if you ever put them in rank 4 they have Harmless Poke to not only get them back in the fight but also gain +2 speed. These are dangerous, high priority targets, take them out of the fight first and foremost.

Brigand Fusilier, Threat Level: Medium
-The Fusilier is the nuker of the bandit crew, and they exist to wear you down over time from out of reach. You'll often see them in rank 3/4 with decent dodge, so hitting them can be a task at times. Their main attack, Blanket Fire, does a small amount of damage but to everyone on your team, and they can do this from rank 2-4, so trying to prevent this with pulling them is tough. As if that wasn't bad enough, they have Rushed Shot to put them back in a favorable distance away and can do this from rank 1-3. However, the Fusilier comes with rather low accuracy values and can often times miss your party with their shots. Also, while their carpet fire is middling on their own, the big threat comes when they are in pairs. If they're ever in pairs then you have to focus them down first and foremost.

Brigand Bloodletter, Threat Level: Low
-The Bloodletter is the "tank" of the bandits, though he's really just a sack of HP with no PROT and very little dodge. These guys take point on the team and just sit there to make sure you can't meat-grinder the more threatening guys on his side. While his whip attacks do little damage and bleed damage, their main goal is to also inflict stress on you in order to slowly work your heroes over the edge. Their favorite attack, Rain of Whips, hits everyone for middling damage and middling bleed damage. Their alternate whip attack, Punishment, hits a little harder but only hits one target. Their most dangerous attack however comes not from a whip, but from Point Blank Shot in rank 1 with a staggering crit rate as well. Honestly, the only reason I consider them a threat is because of Point Blank Shot. Find a way to move them and their whips are hardly a threat.

Cultists!

Cultist Brawler, Threat Level: Medium
-The Brawler is an enemy that can range from a mild inconvenience to "How the hell did you hit that hard?" They're a one-trick pony, but that trick does a lot of effects and can hurt a lot if the dice roll poorly. Their main attack, Rend for the Old Gods, does a myriad of things: Does a small amount of damage, causes middling bleed, debuffs you to take more stress damage, moves the Brawler forward, and also does more damage to marked targets. They can only do that attack from ranks 1-2 however, but if you shove them back they respond with Stumbling Scratch in order to get back in the fight. These guys exists to supplement their partners in combat, and while they don't really do much on their own they have a crit rate that can catch players off-guard easily.

Cultist Acolyte, Threat Level: High
-The Acolyte is the mage-role of the cultist, and is one hell of a threat in general. The Acolyte will often be in ranks 3-4, and they also come with high evasion so hitting them is a bit of a trial. However it really doesn't matter what position they're in since the Acolyte can attack in *any* position. Their primary attack, Stressful Incantation, does heavy stress damage and reduces your torch by 10 percent. This is the big threat, since alone the cultist hits for 20-30 stress damage in general and they have the chance of being in pairs, doubling that stress output. Along with that, they have Eldritch Push & Pull to completely mess with your formation and more than often ruin your healer's position and stop their healing. I have a polaroid of this enemy on a dartboard, I hate them that much. They die first.

Spiders!

Webber & Spitter, Threat Level: Medium
-The spiders are, mechanically, one of the more fun things I see in this game. These guys operate on a sniper/spotter team, are really fast, and were designed to introduce players to the mark system. Webbers are the spotter and have two attacks: Web marks and stuns a target with a high chance, and Bite is an attack they use soon after to damage and blight the marked target. Spitters however are the sniper: They can shoot any rank with Spit and deal high damage to the marked target and also have Bite as well. The big threat comes from their cooperation, so if you take out one side of their team then the other half folds easily.

Other Fiends!

Maggots, Threat Level: Medium
-Maggots are weird to me. They have low HP, average dodge, decent speed, and only one attack. That one attack however I feel like is a decent threat to merit the existence of these baby bugs. Grave Nibble does small damage, but it also causes stress damage, can stun the target, and can cause any disease. The disease is the big threat I see, because you can get super unlucky and get Black Plague or Tetanus and everything goes south. Luckily these guys have low HP and they only appear in their own groups, so once your teams cycle in they don't stick around long.

Madman, Threat Level: High
-The Madman is a sort of miniboss in a sense that they're a pain to deal with. These guys come with high speed and high evasion, making them super hard to hit in general. Their attacks however only do stress damage, but do a real good job at it. His single target attack, Accusation, causes stress damage and makes the target vulnerable to stress damage. His AoE attack, Doomsday, does stress damage to everyone. These guys often replace units at random, and you can wind up in situations where you would be fighting two Cultist Acolytes and the Madman, so it'd be best to focus these guys down first.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 7, 2016

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Highwang posted:

These are wonderful accessories through the game in general, however once you get them they are removed from the spawn pool so do your best to not lose these.

Yeah, I had a game once where someone lost Dismas' Head by gambling. :( I rarely use gambling anymore.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
A little gambling is fine, but don't lose you head over it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

I'd also advise against not selling them, but you can only get 150g for them anyways so unless you're super desperate I doubt you will.

You have a double negative here which means you're recommending the opposite thing!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Genocyber posted:

You have a double negative here which means you're recommending the opposite thing!

Never write your lectures at a 2am sleep deprived state kids.

RickVoid posted:

A little gambling is fine, but don't lose you head over it.

I wish I recruited you so I can throw you to the Shambler for that.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Glaive17 posted:

Yeah, I had a game once where someone lost Dismas' Head by gambling. :( I rarely use gambling anymore.

Heroes can also get absurdly drunk and lose trinkets! My Man at Arms lost a lovely class-specific rare on a bender.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Highwang posted:

I wish I recruited you so I can throw you to the Shambler for that.

Throw me on a Highwayman, Man at Arms, or Occultist then, if you're still taking submissions.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
You know for all my love of this game I have never gotten to the stage where my whole team is level 3 or over. That has happened today! Well most of it.

Highwang can you do a little talk about skill/gear level vs resolve level content for me? I went into a level 3 ruins with some level 1 skills and was seriously irked by the tiny plinks of damage they did.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I like when a crucial team member goes on a bender and disappears for a few weeks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

You know for all my love of this game I have never gotten to the stage where my whole team is level 3 or over. That has happened today! Well most of it.

Highwang can you do a little talk about skill/gear level vs resolve level content for me? I went into a level 3 ruins with some level 1 skills and was seriously irked by the tiny plinks of damage they did.

I'm not a drugged-out dick, but I can offer some advice nonetheless. Generally speaking, upgrading skills does not increase their damage, unless it's boosting a DOT like bleed or blight. Just accuracy, proc chance, and the magnitude/hit chance of buffs/debuffs. To up your damage you need to upgrade their weapons at the blacksmith or equip damage boosting trinkets. It is the case that enemies' HP scale up a bit more than your damage, so you do need to rely more on your primary damage dealers or moves that synergize well together (e.g. stunning an enemy and then using the Bounty Hunter's Finish Him skill). Also pay more attention to enemies' stats; a lot of the upgraded versions of old enemies/new enemies have some PROT that you may want to reduce before going ham on them.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
So you can have Dismas holding his own head as an accessory?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Genocyber posted:

I'm not a drugged-out dick, but I can offer some advice nonetheless. Generally speaking, upgrading skills does not increase their damage, unless it's boosting a DOT like bleed or blight. Just accuracy, proc chance, and the magnitude/hit chance of buffs/debuffs. To up your damage you need to upgrade their weapons at the blacksmith or equip damage boosting trinkets. It is the case that enemies' HP scale up a bit more than your damage, so you do need to rely more on your primary damage dealers or moves that synergize well together (e.g. stunning an enemy and then using the Bounty Hunter's Finish Him skill). Also pay more attention to enemies' stats; a lot of the upgraded versions of old enemies/new enemies have some PROT that you may want to reduce before going ham on them.

In addition to this, pay attention to the positive quirks your people pick up. For example, the beast hater quirk is excellent in the weald and warrens, but not so great in the ruins while the Eldritch version is fantastic in the cove, but not as powerful elsewhere. There are also region specific damage buffs that can add up quickly. Also, if you use a lot of AoE, it becomes far less effective at higher levels to just spam it since enemies have far more hp and as stated before, have protection when the didn't before. Finally, if you're going into a region with many enemies with high prot, consider bringing the Bounty Hunter and Houndmaster, since their marking moves also lower the enemies' prot.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

A Curvy Goonette posted:

So you can have Dismas holding his own head as an accessory?

Oh yes. It's the best.

(Sadly, you cannot have Dismas holding his own head twice as two accessories, because you can only find each head trinket once.)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Iny posted:

Oh yes. It's the best.

(Sadly, you cannot have Dismas holding his own head twice as two accessories, because you can only find each head trinket once.)

Well that and you can't double up on trinkets.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Iny posted:

Oh yes. It's the best.

Actually there is a loophole that can allow you to have duplicate heads. This aint a glitch or anything but its somewhat exploitative of a very rare mechanic.

Red Hook is aware of this, however I think this is intended because they haven't made any efforts to patch it out. And yeah, Genocyber mentioned that duplicate accessories are verboten because of the 100% deathblow resistance exploit someone else mentioned in the thread. So yeah, you can have two heads if you're extremely lucky and unlucky, however it doesn't really give any game-breaking advantages.

Riders of Brohan
Mar 31, 2011
So, thanks to this LP, I finally went back to this game, and so far so good - I've still made a few rookie mistakes, but no one has died (yet).

Just had a pretty amazing Warrens run - ended up having way more fights than I was expecting, and seemingly each fight had monsters with stress attacks. My team's stress levels are skyrocketing, the bleed/blight attacks are wearing my party down, and I quickly realized I hadn't optimized the team for this run.

All this comes to a head in the final room battle, where my team starts the battle beat up and stressed out, and there's a wretch and a madman wrecking my team's sanity. The madman accuses my Bounty Hunter, pushing his stress meter almost to 100, and suddenly a swine chopper critically hits the Bounty Hunter, and his stress goes over 100 -

Only for him to make his Virtue roll and GET FILLED WITH RIGHTEOUS VIGOR :black101::black101::black101:

Suddenly, his stress level is almost all gone, and as he keeps fighting, he keeps lowering his own stress levels because he's such a badass - the tide turns, and those awful pigs (and madman) were chopped to pieces.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Throw me on a Highwayman, Man at Arms, or Occultist then, if you're still taking submissions.

Reposting because I forgot to bold the first time around.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update: Episode 8: Hylomania

Today we learn the ins and outs of the Antiquarian, and why you really shouldn't put her in a team of people obsessed with gold.

Also, its pretty determined that we're fighting the Hag at episode 14, so another new poll: Who's next on the hit list?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oh. oh dear.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Requesting an adventurer to take up my name. Any class will do as I'm fine being a warm body thrown into the grinder as Plan D. If it really matters, preference for a female class because badass chick are cool.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Highwang, that has to be the worst Antiquarian team combo (edit: for chance of maximizing loot) I have ever seen in play, and it's all due to quirks! Thanks for showing off how easily you can miss out or get messed up if you don't pay attention to the little things (like buying torches). And for making me laugh at your misfortune. That is why we're here, no? (That and getting horrifically killed in your service.)

Barristan's Head is indeed good, and it stacks with other +prot items and the +prot quirks and the +prot skills into making a lucky someone a near-invincible tank as far as damage goes. This can be particularly useful for reducing risk in the later difficulty levels or making gimmicky things like the hilariously invincible dodgeprot Jester.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 22, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, 13% prot + tough skin + some other thing gives you a meaty slab of action-efficient healing to take hits. Just stack that on somebody you can mark/make guard people etc. and enjoy having your vestal free to beat people up way more often. poo poo, put it all on a melee vestal. Why not? Front row supremacy!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Auto-click things are the worst.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Antiquarians can make inventory juggling very stressful though. My first run with one in my post town-events game was at the same time as free supplies. In a "Collect 3 Quest Items" quest. Where one was hiding in corridor, so I had no torches, starved a bit, and had two or three (failed) virtue checks by the end.

EDIT : After taking literally everything on the provisioning screen as it was free

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Tylana posted:

Antiquarians can make inventory juggling very stressful though. My first run with one in my post town-events game was at the same time as free supplies. In a "Collect 3 Quest Items" quest. Where one was hiding in corridor, so I had no torches, starved a bit, and had two or three (failed) virtue checks by the end.

EDIT : After taking literally everything on the provisioning screen as it was free

The "Get 3 items" quests are the worst for just this reason.

That's 3000+ gold you're asking me to pass up there pal.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Tylana posted:

Veloxyll posted:

I don't take those with the intent of making money. They're more "I have an underleveled unit and my team needs him" quest since they go by so fast.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 23, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I have a tendency to overstock on items.

But I also generally wait on activating curios till after a mission is mostly or completely finished, so the extra food and torches are still useful.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've been using this guide which works well enough. The author tends to over-emphasize defensive trinkets like bandages in the cove or ruins but overall it works well enough.

On that note I used to think that bandages in the cove are worthless. Then I had a short mission with 6! uca crushers who didn't use anything but bleed attacks.

I will never insult bandages again.

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 23, 2016

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hah. The confusion in the video makes me want to point out, you mean supplies (I think the game term is Supply Item if you've got a camping skill ot get more?)

Supplies, Trinkets, Relics, Curios, Heirlooms, Artifacts(?), Antiques!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

double nine posted:

I've been using this guide which works well enough. The author tends to over-emphasize defensive trinkets like bandages in the cove or ruins but overall it works well enough.

On that note I used to think that bandages in the cove are worthless. Then I had a short mission with 6! uca crushers who didn't use anything but bleed attacks.

I will never insult bandages again.

Having moved up to the Level 3 Missions I can say I'm totally taking more DoT clearing items on my adventures. Seriously gently caress 6pt bleeds.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just so's you know Highwang your youtube playlist is missing episode 7 :)

masam
May 27, 2010
Send me in as a an Occultist, Houndsmaster, or grave robber

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Hylomania is such an innocuous and easy to forget about quirk too, most of the things it triggers on aren't really dangerous

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I some rules when it comes to quirks.

Any character that starts with one of those auto-touch quirks is immediately disqualified from use (barring Reynauld).

Any character who gains one and I don't plan on keeping them is immediately dismissed.

Any character who gains one and I plan on keeping them goes into the the sanitarium immediately (including Reynauld).

I can deal with most quirks but those ones are infuriating.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Really? The negative results for just regularly interacting with most things are pretty minor. Better than a reduction to a crucial stat or something.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The only quirks I erase are Kleptomania/Egomania or stuff that actively impedes a character's usefulness like flat stat reductions, or things like Scattering on characters that exclusively used ranged attacks. The auto-interact quirks are hardly a problem and Hylomania is basically strictly positive because most of the relevant curios don't even have downsides or supply item interactions.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It's apparently a problem if you have all four members rolling around all grabby and you're interested in mad pawn shop cash from antiques.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Even the more benign ones actively reduce your income by making you do the wrong curio interactions, so cleansing them makes sense from a pure financial perspective if you're going to use that character more than once or twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

The town events patch made this a lot better. Now all the "collect/activate three" quests trigger unique events that make them a lot more worthwhile. Giving up a couple grand in loot is a lot more appealing when it can get you a free round of quirk, disease, and/or sanity treatment that would normally cost ten times as much.

• Locked thread