Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Thanks. sfc and DISM didn't work but mashing the indexing troubleshooter a couple of times worked, apparently the device didn't start because it didn't have permissions to its folder in programdata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
at work somebody suggested irc as an alternative to hipchat and the IT guys laughed

whats so bad about irc???

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Corla Plankun posted:

at work somebody suggested irc as an alternative to hipchat and the IT guys laughed

whats so bad about irc???

no giphy memes

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

normals don't know how to irc

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

spankmeister posted:

normals don't know how to irc

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hipchat is fine, it's chat and it works

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it looks like it does have a real client. probably be good to use that, but we already got the skype so meh.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
skype is garbage and gently caress anyone who says differently
irc is also piss
hip chat is for some jerkoff middle management to suggest because you get it as part of whatever unholy pact you already have with atlassian
slack works because:
- normal people can use it
- offline messages
- its external
- has a good mobile client

the only "downside" is the free plan having a limit of messages and attachments but I think short term memory only is a good side because otherwise it becomes critical storage instead of a collaboration tool

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ahmeni posted:

irc is also piss
hip chat is for some jerkoff middle management to suggest because you get it as part of whatever unholy pact you already have with atlassian
slack works because:
- offline messages
- its external

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

is http://matrix.org/ a slack clone or an irc clone

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
nobody is cloning irc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

is http://matrix.org/ a slack clone or an irc clone
neither, both slack and irc are centralised, and

ahmeni posted:

nobody is cloning irc

alternatively its either, if you imagine closed infrastructure with single server

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

mishaq posted:

hipchat is fine, it's chat and it works

according to ops it is actually really, really bad

i dont understand how chatting is still so hard to get right when aol had chatrooms that worked fine literally 20 years ago

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

i dont understand how chatting is still so hard to get right when aol had chatrooms that worked fine literally 20 years ago

ive used it and it was fine

slack is 100 times better but it works

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Corla Plankun posted:

aol chatrooms sucked

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fishmech posted:

aol chatrooms sucked

ok, SmarterChild

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

ok, SmarterChild

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

ok, SmarterChild

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
it seems i have the most recent virtualdub but it's still not compatible with h.264

is there something else that will edit video and not resize or recompress, just spit out a shorter video file??

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the lolest windows error: powersaver is on according to update so it wont run but that poo poo has been turned off for a week. the only options are turn it off and wait or reregister every dll ever and ive already done the repair thing for updates. anniversary update status: :smithicide:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Corla Plankun posted:

chatting is not hard

chatting with the combination of push alerts and mobile devices and consistency needed in chat rooms is really hard

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

irc is also piss
slack works because:
- offline messages
- its external

the only "downside" is the free plan having a limit of messages and attachments but I think short term memory only is a good side because otherwise it becomes critical storage instead of a collaboration tool

slack and hipchat are almost exactly the same in every way

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

slack and hipchat are almost exactly the same in every way

except they're not

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

it seems i have the most recent virtualdub but it's still not compatible with h.264

is there something else that will edit video and not resize or recompress, just spit out a shorter video file??

ffmpeg

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Kuvo posted:

ffmpeg

will check out, danke

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

chatting is not hard

chatting with the combination of push alerts and mobile devices and consistency needed in chat rooms is really hard

lmao i dont have a smart phone so this part literally never occurred to me. now i get it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

chatting is not hard

nah its actually pretty easy but people like to try to get fancy with it. the trick is you gotta keep it all server side and let the client do nothing but receive alerts and display the server content. as soon as you trust the client to handle anything beyond view of the server side chat rooms you start loving things up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

nah its actually pretty easy but people like to try to get fancy with it. the trick is you gotta keep it all server side and let the client do nothing but receive alerts and display the server content. as soon as you trust the client to handle anything beyond view of the server side chat rooms you start loving things up

I don't disagree but this requires either onsite servers or putting your trust in the hands of :clod:. i know this is obvious and a dumb thing to point out but its a hard decision either way

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
clod is pretty good and if you're really anti-clod onsite servers aren't that bad. also you can do both for maximum scalability and uptime.

client side is just the worst. don't do anything client side.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

except they're not

if nobody wanted to talk to me id probably consider all communication systems the same too

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i am an idiot who invariably breaks every linux vm he sets up within a week trying to do some weird thing

what linux should i install this time

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

i am an idiot who invariably breaks every linux vm he sets up within a week trying to do some weird thing

the answer is gentoo but what have you been using

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

anthonypants posted:

the answer is gentoo but what have you been using

i broke a debian install trying to upgrade it to testing
i broke an ubuntu installing vmware tools somehow
uhhhhh i had fedora at one point but grub decided that it didn't want to cooperate anymore

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
go for arch and tell us how you hosed it up before reaching a functional desktop

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

nixos

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

i broke a debian install trying to upgrade it to testing
don't use 'testing' unless you actually want to, you know, test a totally unusable version of debian and file bug reports

it's not a sound platform to do any actual work

Luigi Thirty posted:

i broke an ubuntu installing vmware tools somehow
neither of these was a good idea individually
combining them was worse

it's 2016 there is no reason to use vmware

there are some reasons to use ubuntu but none of them are good. (if you are an isv and ubuntu is one of your supported platforms i pity you)

Luigi Thirty posted:

uhhhhh i had fedora at one point but grub decided that it didn't want to cooperate anymore
well boot the installer and reinstall grub then?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fuckin snapshots bruh jeez

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

is virtualbox finally not poo poo then or

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

use fedora, op

Adbot