Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MonsieurChoc posted:

They, of course, have a process for verification. They don't go out and inspect business.

What does the verification involve if they do not actually go out to inspect the business which is being complained about?

By your logic, the police aren't police, because they don't randomly search homes for evidence of criminal activity.

EDIT: Further, what are the standards for them to go and verify and possibly uphold a complaint? There's obviously enough aggrieved busybody Francophones that any violation, however tiny or utterly ridiculous, will be complained about eventually, so the fact that they don't literally go around doing random inspections is a distinction without a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

He means they go out and look at something only after someone calls and tells them where to look.

They don't have people wandering around looking for infractions to write up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

resistentialism posted:

He means they go out and look at something only after someone calls and tells them where to look.

They don't have people wandering around looking for infractions to write up.

Yes, I'm aware of that. The people who go out and look... what are they, if not inspectors?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Gotta give it to ya, you're pretty quick to switch gears when you're trying to avoid looking like you didn't understand something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

How am I switching gears? Did I ever claim that there were roving bands of inspectors doing random inspections? I said they have inspectors, whose job is to go around to businesses and enforce the language laws. Nothing MonsieurChoc has said has in any way conflicted with that, he's just choosing to use a bizarre definition of "inspectors" and "police."

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress is the matter with you people. Please stop replying to him. Just please stop.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tsyni posted:

What the gently caress is the matter with you people. Please stop replying to him. Just please stop.

Why don't you explain why my conception of the OLF is incorrect, if indeed there are no inspectors?

This is not a grey area. Either the OLF employs people to inspect businesses if a violation is reported, or they don't. This cannot be based on opinion; it's a matter of fact, either way.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
This was dumb sorry

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 21, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So as soon as I come up with a question you can't answer while remaining in step with the orthodoxy of the thread, you just take your ball and go home?

Interesting...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

apatheticman posted:

Please sign the pledge below.*

I vow to never reply to a PT6A post. I will put him on ignore. Responding to him only hurts all of us. This is for the good of the country.**

*note you can choose to sign it in your heart not on this here internet messaging forum.
** note - Even if you hate the country it is still a net benefit.

*puts apatheticman on ignore instead*

if you don't like PT6A's posting don't respond to it, but talking about it is even more boring than it's content

also the hip suck, SNFU ruled though, super glad I got to see Chi Pig before he clocks off - guy still puts on one hell of a show for a toothless desiccated husk

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

vyelkin posted:

I probably couldn't name one Tragically Hip song if I tried, oh well, this is a politics thread.

http://www.pressprogress.ca/christy_clark_just_unveiled_a_climate_change_plan_thats_so_bad_her_own_experts_are_ripping_it_apart

I'm pretty sure she could have shown up and barbecued several endangered species while making mocking gestures about people drowning and you guys would still re-elect the Libs with a majority so what does it matter at this point.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canada will still be debating coal use in twenty years when the US has transitioned to huge solar and wind farms. Canada has never been a leader at anything and we'll probably just end up selling coal to third world countries.

Because there is no innovation in Canada there is absolutely no one lobbying for anything that isn't the status quo business practices of firms using twenty year old tech.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
but 10 posts back some guy said canada is the best courntyr in the world

:confused:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

vyelkin posted:

I probably couldn't name one Tragically Hip song if I tried, oh well, this is a politics thread.

http://www.pressprogress.ca/christy_clark_just_unveiled_a_climate_change_plan_thats_so_bad_her_own_experts_are_ripping_it_apart

Never in my life did I ever think I'd say this: Gordon Campbell was a far better premier than Christy Clark. If the NDP had some level of spine we'd probably be able to get rid of her.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

large hands posted:

Quebec is well known for its excellent music lol

This but without the lol.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jordan7hm posted:

Dude's take from his editorial about how climate change policies are going to make it harder for developing nations to develop, and that the western nations pushing for those changes have already benefited from the lack of such policies during their development, isn't wrong.

He's not wrong, but there's an assumption that the only method for developing improved quality of life is the industrial revolution model. It's a model that does work (for certain values of "works") but increasingly all I hear when Christie Clark and her Fraser Institute friends talk are the sounds of cancer cells quacking about sustainable growth.

I don't think any of this though is an altruistic concern about the state of the human race. It's the face of old money, heavily based in oil and coal, fighting a war to keep its hegemony and ability to sell all the oil all the time everywhere. Last thing the Koch brothers and their friends want is to become less politically relevant.

Wherever the innovation comes from I doubt it will be B.C. We're a culture of remoras, hitching rides and making a good living picking up scraps from the big guys. When the shark dies we're hosed. Also, we suck.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

cowofwar posted:

Canada will still be debating coal use in twenty years when the US has transitioned to huge solar and wind farms. Canada has never been a leader at anything and we'll probably just end up selling coal to third world countries.

Because there is no innovation in Canada there is absolutely no one lobbying for anything that isn't the status quo business practices of firms using twenty year old tech.

Canada was the first country in the world to introduce regulations on coal-fired electricity.

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/business/u-s-and-canadas-coal-regulations-side-by-side-who-wins/

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I cycled 60km yesterday and I had paid to see Dimond Saints but I went to bed instead because I'm a tired old man like Gord Downie :rip:

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Jesus gently caress this thread contains some amazingly terrible opinions from possibly the saddest people possible?

I was in Kingston last night with the crowd in Market Square and I thought the concert was great. I am a hip fan, but I've only really paid attention to them for 4 years. People that are saying it's a bad concert are trying to look at Gord Downie in a vacuum and you can't do that. He's weird, he has strange phrasing, he often riffs in ways that are much less melodic than his album versions. You have to look past that stuff and embrace his personality and energy. He's a hard artist to watch if you're not connected to him and the music. But if you are, it's a spectacle.

Anyone that thinks that the hip aren't intimately tied with Ontario and Canadian culture should look at their discography. It's plastered with stories of canada.

One of the reasons The Hip are so loved is the fact that they are an artist appreciated by multiple generations. If they didn't play any songs you enjoy, you don't like the band. It's not their fault. They played a THIRTY song set list, hit after hit.

Also Canada's brand of nationalism is a good thing. Just because people are often ignorant to the problems of canada, it does not mean you cannot optimistically celebrate the country either.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Oh okay, in that case I think the Tragically Hip is a bad band with one good album and a handful of decent hits, owing to not being "connected to him" or some hippie poo poo.

Glad we could clear that up.

EDIT: Out of the set list, these are the songs I liked:

Little Bones
50 Mission Cap
Twist My Arm
Blow at High Dough
At The Hundredth Meridian

Honourable Mention:

Ahead By A Century
New Orleans Is Sinking

That's slightly over 20%, which is not at all good. Compare that to the last Rush concert I saw, where I thought there was no way they'd play my favourites Cygnus X-1 and Xanadu -- and then they loving did because they are a total national treasure. Also, 2112! This was in addition to their bigger hits like Tom Sawyer and Spirt of Radio. That's how you do a concert, IMO.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 21, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Careful not to cut yourself on that edge.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
CanPol Megathread: PT6A's suicidely boring takes on whatever the gently caress is going through his mind at that moment

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Since when is it edgy to not like a thing? Presumably there are plenty of things that other people don't like.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I don't really have an opinion on PT6A's posting but I feel like I should probably jump on the metaposting bandwagon.

Hey PT6A you should uh...

whateve r

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If y'all like metaposting then the LAN Toronto thread's favorite past time is making GBS threads on Pivo don't miss out

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

WAHH, a band that I'm not a big fan of only played 7 songs I like at their concert. SAD!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JawKnee posted:

if you don't like PT6A's posting don't respond to it, but talking about it is even more boring than it's content

also the hip suck, SNFU ruled though, super glad I got to see Chi Pig before he clocks off - guy still puts on one hell of a show for a toothless desiccated husk
Not touching the hip comment with a 10 foot pole, but that's awesome you got to seen SNFU. Seeing a listing for them about a month ago blew my mind. Of all the band's I've listened to, they would be right near the bottom of the list of "Band's you'll be able to see live again in 20 years". Competing for bottom on that list would be LAMS. And wouldn't you know it, I saw them on the very same listing!? Like I stepped into a loving time warp, and I'm 16 again.

At least CI quit making GBS threads on the rodeo clown for a couple pages. He was beginning to make this thread's punching bag sound pretty reasonable.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Good Quebec music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12wqGGTB8MA

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I've always wondered what you'd get if you choked the style and joy out of zydeco, now I know.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The OQLF aren't literal cops? Next you'll tell me a Canadian Tuxedo doesn't fit the dictionary definition of a tuxedo!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Canada was the first country in the world to introduce regulations on coal-fired electricity.

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/business/u-s-and-canadas-coal-regulations-side-by-side-who-wins/

Status quo is hydro and nuclear in Canada, so the example was poo poo. We have researchers working on tidal power but they couldn't find anyone to fund an install in Canada so they had to go to Scotland. No offshore giant wind installations either despite then going up around the world.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

cowofwar posted:

Status quo is hydro and nuclear in Canada, so the example was poo poo. We have researchers working on tidal power but they couldn't find anyone to fund an install in Canada so they had to go to Scotland. No offshore giant wind installations either despite then going up around the world.

First you said we'd still be debating coal use in 20 years, and now you say that regs on coal don't matter because we don't use it anyhow. Sort out your cynicism.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Also Canada's brand of nationalism is a good thing. Just because people are often ignorant to the problems of canada, it does not mean you cannot optimistically celebrate the country either.

ok well here's your bronzed pair of diapers, the Romeo dallaire award for Canadian valor and glory in canpol posting

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

cowofwar posted:

They are testing a tidal turbine in the bay of Fundy right now. First one got destroyed by the current.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Typical Goon posted:

CanPol Megathread: PT6A's suicidely boring takes on whatever the gently caress is going through his mind at that moment

And a hundred responses from people who are easily trolled.

There's no way he's not trolling you at this point.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
please do not construe this as engaging with pt6a, but: while the hip make good music, gord downie's stage performance isnt for everyone and was (understandably) very strained during last night's show; as the result of gord's whole deal + where we are in history it's a fine show to end on; i still turned it off after 30 minutes because, although i appreciated watching it for the landmark thing that it was, i wasn't actually enjoying the performance

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

First you said we'd still be debating coal use in 20 years, and now you say that regs on coal don't matter because we don't use it anyhow. Sort out your cynicism.

CanPol thread doesn't require any effort in arguments. Canada's measure of innovation is poo poo, it's R&D is poo poo, it's ability to attract talent or maintain businesses that aren't simply bought out by American multinational is poo poo. Blah blah blah moving goal posts I don't give a poo poo. Canada is a laggard and I will worry about what the US federal government does and not that of BC.

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016

namaste faggots posted:

ok well here's your bronzed pair of diapers, the Romeo dallaire award for Canadian valor and glory in canpol posting

even edgier than PT6A

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

cowofwar posted:

CanPol thread doesn't require any effort in arguments. Canada's measure of innovation is poo poo, it's R&D is poo poo, it's ability to attract talent or maintain businesses that aren't simply bought out by American multinational is poo poo. Blah blah blah moving goal posts I don't give a poo poo. Canada is a laggard and I will worry about what the US federal government does and not that of BC.

ECOEnergy for Renewable Power represents $1.4 billion of federal investment encompassing 4500 megawatts of renewables. If you think Canada's not doing anything, you're not looking hard enough.

In 2015, despite funding falling by 50%, Canada spent the eight highest amount on renewable energy in the world in absolute dollars 1. Given that we have the 10th largest economy in the world, we're punching above our weight, despite the decline.

If you think we're not doing anything, you're not looking hard enough.

Fluffy Chainsaw fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Doing something so Canadian right now I bet just looking at this picture drives some of you Canada hating urbanites insane.

http://i.imgur.com/C6b71bY.jpg