Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

flyboi posted:

Another would be the TMNT port from NES to PC. There's a jump that is impossible no matter what you do.

Is that the gap on the ~3rd floor of the building right before you go swimming in the dam? I could barely make that on the NES.

E: oh wait it's a sewer jump in level 3, now I remember

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man I had mentioned I had an Illusion of Gaia coffee mug when I was a kid and I searched and searched and could not even find anyone online even mentioning it ever, and I see a completed eBay auction for it. Over $100 for a mug!! drat it! Why did I throw everything out when I was a stupid kid??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nin...=p2047675.l2557

The seller is embellishing a bit as it wasn't a promo thing. Anyone could buy it; they had it in the "Super Power Catalog" thing that Nintendo put out 4 times a year from like 93-95 (it's how the Donkey Kong Competition carts came to light). I don't know how something could be so rare that it wasn't mentioned on the internet before 2015, especially when it was in a catalog that went out to millions of people. I guess no one ordered from them?? I wish there were scans of them (I will probably just get mad at all the stuff I never bought or did and threw out like my glow in the dark Super Metroid poster and my loving Illusion of Gaia mug!!!).

I love that game.

Some other stuff I remember they sold: Super Punch Out boxer shorts, a Killer Instinct wristwatch, uh, that's actually kind of all I remember. Probably for the better.

Captain Rufus posted:

https://youtu.be/0mn-4y8YrU4

A video by Guru Larry covering a few of these games that you can't complete because reasons. Unsurprisingly Ocean software is involved in a few. Because much like LJN/Acclaim, and Takara and Bandai their existence was based around ruining the joy of children.

Thanks for the video! I love oddities like this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Some other stuff I remember they sold: Super Punch Out boxer shorts, a Killer Instinct wristwatch, uh, that's actually kind of all I remember. Probably for the better.
I think they sold little holders for, like, the Megaman X pogs or faux Topps cards they had in a few issues.

I purchased the Ocarina soundtrack and the Ocarina of Time pocket watch and a little brass LoZ bracelet from that thing. Don't remember if I paid for it or if it was like a Renew your Subscription promo

But bah GAWD some of that swagstuff was really tempting to a little kid.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I regret not sending in the card for a Rocket Knight Adventures t-shirt.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Can anyone else think of any examples of a video game where it could basically be considered a "take your money and run" scam other than "Plumber's Don't Wear Ties"? I swear if I were an attorney general I would have went after them for what is essentially a scam (or at the very least, false advertising). It would be like if Universal put out Jurassic Park on VHS but it was just text from the book scrolling the entire tape. It's the only time I would think you'd actually be able to file a class-action lawsuit against a video game for outright fraud. Any other examples of this other than "Star Citizen lol" and "anything LJN made"? I mean yeah there are a lot of lovely games but that one was clearly "haha we got you rear end in a top hat, thanks for the money" and I was wondering if it had ever been done before or since.

Ninjabread Man / Trixie in Toyland / I'm pretty sure there's a _third_ all for the Wii are all the exact same game reskinned with no indication as such come to mind as feeling incredibly scammy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

That Holy Diver game that never(?) came out in NA requires a glitched jump to beat it right at the end before the final boss.

wait what

are we literally talking a dio video game here?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

wait what

No, just a weird action platformer that drives speedrunners nuts because a lot of enemies are erratically flying monsters straight from the Medusa Head school of design but even less predictable.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. Dos posted:

Ninjabread Man / Trixie in Toyland / I'm pretty sure there's a _third_ all for the Wii are all the exact same game reskinned with no indication as such come to mind as feeling incredibly scammy.

Anubis II and then also Rock 'n' Roll Adventures. So it's 4 of the same game. You can watch a TAS of the Anubis II version here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MORAvx-S70

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
When it comes to old merchandise, I wish I'd seen this ad back in the day.

I didn't even like Fatal Fury that much, but I would've had a blast circumventing the "one per person" rule to build an army of little rubber figures

On the subject of games you can't complete, a strange glitch in the Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete demo can render the final game unfinishable. If you remove Alex's ocarina from his inventory in the demo and then carry over your save to the full game, you can't get past a climactic moment some 20 hours into the story.

http://www.lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.php?t=5526

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think I need to mess with the Sync settings for my N64 on the XRGB-mini. Unlike the SNES/NES, there is a very noticeable visual glitch where the screen tears for a split second as an artifact scrolls quickly down the screen. Happens maybe twice a minute and I'm fairly certain it's a Sync issue as the N64 is the only one using a Luma-based SCART cable and when I set "SYNC_MODE" to Off it goes away and is instead replaced with a less annoying judder. I figure there must be some way for me to tweak the settings where I can avoid both the tearing glitch and the judder.

I've tried playing around with SYNC_LEVEL and SYNC_TIME a bit, and if they made a difference I couldn't really tell other than if I set SYNC_LEVEL super high the display would simply go black. I've heard getting a "sync cleaner" to go in between the SCART cable and the RGB connector on the mini might help; does anyone have any experience with this?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Kid Fenris posted:

When it comes to old merchandise, I wish I'd seen this ad back in the day.

I didn't even like Fatal Fury that much, but I would've had a blast circumventing the "one per person" rule to build an army of little rubber figures

On the subject of games you can't complete, a strange glitch in the Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete demo can render the final game unfinishable. If you remove Alex's ocarina from his inventory in the demo and then carry over your save to the full game, you can't get past a climactic moment some 20 hours into the story.

http://www.lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.php?t=5526

Why the gently caress don't I own a Terry Bogard M.U.S.C.L.E. guy

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rirse posted:

Even through they show up in later Castlevania games (or every game as in the case with Death), I like Super Castlevania boss rush against Gaibon Slogra, and Death, who you do not fight at all at this point in the game. All while this creepy piano track plays.

And the lead-up to the unique boss rush is a nail-bitingly tense scramble up a tower with collapsing staircases, pursued by a giant circular saw blade. It's one of the all-time great final levels for sure.

Hell, I can think of maybe one level in Castlevania IV that isn't stunningly over-the-top awesome (Level 5), and even then it's drat atmospheric.

Forever a criminally underrated game in my mind, because even as widely loved as it is, it's never gotten the level of praise Castlevania 3 or SotN have—and it's one of the best games ever made.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Castlevania IV holds the distinction of being the only video game I ever dreamt about (which is actually pretty amazing now that I think about it). I saw it on the TV show Gamepro had (the one hosted by that redhead kid who is still doing TV shows) and I was so blown away by the stage that looks like it's inside a rolling pin that I had a dream that night that I won it in a contest and I was sooooo pissed when I woke up and I didn't have it.

I actually think it's the best Castlevania but I know that's sacrilegious. I typically like my games to be very linear. I don't mind when rpgs aren't but I don't wanna futz around in my action games.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
As far as game dreams go the most recurrent one for me is the fact that all dream driving zooms out behind the car GTA-style due to all the San Andreas I've played.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Castlevania IV holds the distinction of being the only video game I ever dreamt about (which is actually pretty amazing now that I think about it). I saw it on the TV show Gamepro had (the one hosted by that redhead kid who is still doing TV shows) and I was so blown away by the stage that looks like it's inside a rolling pin that I had a dream that night that I won it in a contest and I was sooooo pissed when I woke up and I didn't have it.

I actually think it's the best Castlevania but I know that's sacrilegious. I typically like my games to be very linear. I don't mind when rpgs aren't but I don't wanna futz around in my action games.

Nah, I agree with you. The most frustrating thing about Castlevania's design to me is that it demands the average player memorize the location of and rely heavily on subweapons because of your ridiculous movement limitations. Seeing people beat that game with whip only are like wizards to me because gently caress if I can do anything without getting holy water and praying nothing else drops. How old school Castlevania survived so long without some ability to ignore dropped subweapons or bank them is beyond me. No, I don't want to accidentally run into a dagger and have my precious cross fly off the edge of a platform you dicks. Even Contra offered that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Allen Wren posted:

wait what

It's not officially licensed or anything but all the characters/enemies are named after metal bands, musicians, etc. It's a pretty decent game.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

al-azad posted:

Nah, I agree with you. The most frustrating thing about Castlevania's design to me is that it demands the average player memorize the location of and rely heavily on subweapons because of your ridiculous movement limitations. Seeing people beat that game with whip only are like wizards to me because gently caress if I can do anything without getting holy water and praying nothing else drops. How old school Castlevania survived so long without some ability to ignore dropped subweapons or bank them is beyond me. No, I don't want to accidentally run into a dagger and have my precious cross fly off the edge of a platform you dicks. Even Contra offered that.

Finding out the game had a save system since it was an FDS release originally blew my mind

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

FilthyImp posted:

I think they sold little holders for, like, the Megaman X pogs or faux Topps cards they had in a few issues.

I purchased the Ocarina soundtrack and the Ocarina of Time pocket watch and a little brass LoZ bracelet from that thing. Don't remember if I paid for it or if it was like a Renew your Subscription promo

The only thing I got out of there was the gold Game Boy Camera. There was a lot of other cool poo poo I wish I'd gotten/had the money to get, but I think I chose wisely.

The soundtrack CDs would have been especially nice to have snagged.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

FilthyImp posted:

Pog related:
Here's a resin Pog game board I got in Centralia, WA back in 1995.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

al-azad posted:

S A M E

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I saw a guy walking around wearing an Illusion of Gaia shirt like a decade ago and I have never been so envious of a piece of merch.

Probably woulda stopped him and demanded to know more if it had been Terranigma, tho

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I haven't followed this thread in a long time but any of you old cats interested in a mint condition, CIB JVC X'EYE? When I say CIB I mean even the plastic bags (I think), Prize Fighter/Compton's Encyclopedia/Karaoke Disc (+an extra for some reason, they doubled up by mistake on Compton's or Karaoke, don't remember), unused stickers, manuals, literally everything that came with it when new. Goddamn I loved this machine so much. I really, REALLY didn't want to sell my baby yet but I need to pay rent at the end of the month and have no other options that'll pay out in time. I could start an SA thread but this is such a niche item that I know one of you guys will actually appreciate it the most. Also have a CIB 32X I can sell with it. Also a ton of Sega CD discs in basic jewelcases (some with manuals) but all of my complete "large box" games were sold in bulk the last time I had to liquidate (on these very forums)! I have yet to price anything out again yet but throwing it out there now so you collectors can get a heads up (I like giving goons first dibs). Promise I won't spam the thread and just link later to an SA mart thread if it comes to it.

Can take pictures tomorrow, feel free to PM me if interested.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 22, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

Don't worry, the superior Sonic killer now has officially-licensed merch on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019989O1Y/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_4/166-8851745-5991837

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sinking belle posted:

I saw a guy walking around wearing an Illusion of Gaia shirt like a decade ago and I have never been so envious of a piece of merch.

Probably woulda stopped him and demanded to know more if it had been Terranigma, tho

IIRC, the shirt was actually packaged with the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Don't worry, the superior Sonic killer now has officially-licensed merch on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019989O1Y/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_4/166-8851745-5991837

I'd buy that ironically, but I don't want the makers of Bubsy getting even the token amount they'd receive.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Someone told me they were at some retro game thing in NYC iirc and he saw like three Illusion of Gaia t shirts.

I am going to see if I can find scans of all the Super Power Club catalogs so we can all get angry at our younger selves.

I do remember one other thing I had ordered from it: the SNES Donkey Kong Country soundtrack. Oh and a Link to the Past hoodie that would probably be worth a car payment today.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
DK Jamz! I bought it on cassette in middle school, still might have it somewhere.

It wasn't even an arrangement or anything, just a straight rip of the soundtrack.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

The Joe Man posted:

I haven't followed this thread in a long time but any of you old cats interested in a mint condition, CIB JVC X'EYE? When I say CIB I mean even the plastic bags (I think), Prize Fighter/Compton's Encyclopedia/Karaoke Disc (+an extra for some reason, they doubled up by mistake on Compton's or Karaoke, don't remember), unused stickers, manuals, literally everything that came with it when new. Goddamn I loved this machine so much. I really, REALLY didn't want to sell my baby yet but I need to pay rent at the end of the month and have no other options that'll pay out in time. I could start an SA thread but this is such a niche item that I know one of you guys will actually appreciate it the most. Also have a CIB 32X I can sell with it. Also a ton of Sega CD discs in basic jewelcases (some with manuals) but all of my complete "large box" games were sold in bulk the last time I had to liquidate (on these very forums)! I have yet to price anything out again yet but throwing it out there now so you collectors can get a heads up (I like giving goons first dibs). Promise I won't spam the thread and just link later to an SA mart thread if it comes to it.

Depends on the price but I'm going to assume since it's so CIB it'll be way higher than I'm willing to spend since I have a working Genesis/SCD/32x setup.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

sinking belle posted:

I actually bought one of these years ago, unworn and in original packaging, and the drat thing disintegrated. Don't buy one to wear unless you want to cosplay gamer Hulk Hogan.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

The Joe Man posted:

I've also got an X'eye from childhood but do NOT have the original JVC controller or the baller Karaoke disc (should have Achy Breaky Heart on it) and would be very interested if you're cool with splitting it up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The folks behind the Analogue NT have announced a successor, the Analogue NT Mini.

The original system used hardware salvaged from a stock of old Famicoms with hosed up cases, limiting the amount that could be made, while the new system uses Kevtris's FPGA core on a more powerful FPGA chip, allowing both traditional 240p analog output along with 1080p HDMI output. It'll be US$449 with a wireless controller packed in, limiting it to the kind of weirdo obsessives who... well... post in this thread, really. :v:

Lotta NES clones popping up lately.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Not a huge deal, but would it be my NES or TV that Mario's sound is a little...off. Not in rhythm or time but it's like it's been slightly pitch shifted

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Not a huge deal, but would it be my NES or TV that Mario's sound is a little...off. Not in rhythm or time but it's like it's been slightly pitch shifted

Is your scaler converting it to 50hz?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

If you're using a flash cart, you might be running a PAL ROM. PAL (european TV standard) consoles ran at a different speed, and games compensated for that in different, weird ways with varying degrees of success. When ran on an NTSC system, they might run faster than intended, or with higher-pitched/higher-tempo audio.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
I'm holding on to my Sunset Overdrive koozie I got as a preorder bonus from Best Buy in the hopes that one day it'll be worth BIG BUX to 20-30 year olds about 20-30 years in the future.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

The Kins posted:

The folks behind the Analogue NT have announced a successor, the Analogue NT Mini.

The original system used hardware salvaged from a stock of old Famicoms with hosed up cases, limiting the amount that could be made, while the new system uses Kevtris's FPGA core on a more powerful FPGA chip, allowing both traditional 240p analog output along with 1080p HDMI output. It'll be US$449 with a wireless controller packed in, limiting it to the kind of weirdo obsessives who... well... post in this thread, really. :v:

Anyone have thoughts on whether 1080p with the NT is worth $250 more than 780p with the AVS?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Lmao $450 for an NES in the year of our lord 2016

If I want an HDMI NES that isn't running on real NES guts I'll take my $40 Vita TV thanks

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Wonder if you're just better off buying the retrousb hdmi nes

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If people want a 1080p HDMI-enabled NES option, welp, Monitor Burn has a front-loader with Kevtris' HDMI board available right now, cheaper than the Analogue NT. Or look at buying an upgrade kit (when available again) and either installing it yourself or having MB do it, since he's one of the recommended modders anyway.

Like, geez people, this is a dead simple problem to solve :rolleyes: .

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

The Kins posted:

I'm the only one who think that these things look ugly as gently caress? It doesn't look like the original NES or Famicom, so nostalgia appeal is nil. Even Nintendo got that right with the NES mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lencho posted:

I'm the only one who think that these things look ugly as gently caress? It doesn't look like the original NES or Famicom, so nostalgia appeal is nil. Even Nintendo got that right with the NES mini.

Is nostalgia literally the only aesthetic value out there? Even if they don't look like the originals, I think they're kinda pretty.

• Locked thread