Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Thief posted:

fwiw there have been over 50 players on the Wings of Liberty server each time I've logged in since the update.

Makes for some very seriously good PvP going on if you actually just want to dogfight in massive furballs. :pilot:

40v40 is also quite common (late Central European time). Server's often full. Whats your callsign by the way, saw a LAME dude jump in couple of days ago and thought it might be you.

Also bombing poo poo with Ju 88 and 110 is awesome and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So, I just read "The Dauntless Dive Bomber of WW2" by Barrett Tillman, which got me itching to fly 1946 again. I realized while flying that I have an incredibly basic flying question: what exactly am I supposed to be doing with the rudder? I understand it's function to yaw the aircraft, and I also know it's used for ground maneuvering, but whenever I'm in the air I feel like a big dumb clod flopping my feet around.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

So, I just read "The Dauntless Dive Bomber of WW2" by Barrett Tillman, which got me itching to fly 1946 again. I realized while flying that I have an incredibly basic flying question: what exactly am I supposed to be doing with the rudder? I understand it's function to yaw the aircraft, and I also know it's used for ground maneuvering, but whenever I'm in the air I feel like a big dumb clod flopping my feet around.

Short answer: use your rudder to keep the bubble centered:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Use your rudder to yaw the plane so the gunner has a better shot at someone on your tail!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
You can use the rudder to slip the plane sideways like a :rice:. It's kind of turns the entire plane into one big airbrake. It's also just plane ol' fun when doing weird deflection shots later on once you get comfortable with it. Helps when attacking bombers from the front at an angle and not shooting completely blind.

El Perkele posted:

40v40 is also quite common (late Central European time). Server's often full. Whats your callsign by the way, saw a LAME dude jump in couple of days ago and thought it might be you.

Also bombing poo poo with Ju 88 and 110 is awesome and fun.

Sorry, just saw this and yeah it was probably me or Burno.

My name in game is Witch :witch:

One thing that is awesome about big servers is the bombers actually get players filling them up as gunners. It's really cool to see fully loaded He-111s actually shooting stuff down.

Thief fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 21, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I find that rudder use is way more intuitive in a real plane. Flight sim rudder pedals are just an annoying springy contraption that gives no feedback whatsoever.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

I find that rudder use is way more intuitive in a real plane. Flight sim rudder pedals are just an annoying springy contraption that gives no feedback whatsoever.

MFG Crosswind is your answer, tovarish

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

JerikTelorian posted:

Balancing out prop torque and recovering from spins, mainly.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
This will cause no end of wailing and gnashing of teeth for Il-2 CLOD fans. For some reason out of the blue it has just had an update "to ensure Win 10 compatibility."
This looks of course to have completely borked the Team Fusion patches that have made the game somewhat playable :(

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

immelman posted:

This will cause no end of wailing and gnashing of teeth for Il-2 CLOD fans. For some reason out of the blue it has just had an update "to ensure Win 10 compatibility."
This looks of course to have completely borked the Team Fusion patches that have made the game somewhat playable :(

Go figure. :cripes:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
"Now that the worst performing older game has now been made marginally playable it's time to gently caress it up so people buy the newer, more expensive game!"

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

"Now that the worst performing older game has now been made marginally playable it's time to gently caress it up so people buy the newer, more expensive game!"

To make it even more :tinfoil: the ATAG web server that provides the third party patches was suddenly offline today as well for several hours! Some of the stuff being said on Teamspeak was awesome.
Anyway the first update in more than four years for this game was very quickly re-updated so that you could opt out of the update and after reapplying the patches it works again...
Automatically updating Steam games, which by default you cannot opt out off is poo poo.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Two new planes have been announced for preorder:

Jason Williams posted:

Dear Pilots!
Today I have the pleasure of announcing the opening of Pre-Orders for the Ju-52 and Yak-1b Collector Planes! They can be ordered in the Official Store.
Prices are typical premium: preorded is $ 15 per plane, standard $ 20. I do not believe these will be on sale before summer 2017. Preorder prices last for "couple of months" according to Williams. Planes should be available late 2016.

Overpriced, but I'm a bit tempted on Yak-1b.

No information on the next installment yet, but both Crete and Kuban have been casually mentioned here and there :tinfoil:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ju-52 but no Li-2 or DC-3 is an outrage

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I think more people want to actually shoot it down than fly it.

Most servers seem to like the idea of transport planes as side missions to fuel respawn tickets.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah that sounds logical and like a good use of it. I'd definitely fly it in PVP to help restore tickets.

How is PWCG working nowadays for single player folks? Is it possible to play a bomber campaign and have a reasonable time with good game stability?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Jason Williams has been active on the IL2 forums lately. He's a bit cagey on details but it sounds like he has a vision for the franchise but needs to demonstrate to their publisher/funders that the demand is there:

quote:

I'm not a miracle worker. I may disappoint. I hope I get all the funds I need to build what we want. Not everything I want will probably get built in the next year, but I have a long term plan that I think will work if the community gets behind it. We have to make up for lost time and then move to support the future. Not easy. I'm starting off in the hole. I need a boost. That's where you guys come in. If you like the vision I have buy in and tell your friends. The team is ready to work hard and make the most out of the budget we get approved, but this is a marathon not a sprint unfortunately. It's a similar situation to what we had with ROF 5 years ago. Lots of hard work ahead.

quote:

can't explain anything in detail because I don't know what I can and can't make in the next 18 months. My plan goes out as far as 5 years. We're already 3 into the adventure and we have 5 to go. We have ground to make up. And someday i'd like to go back to WWI. There is just no easy answer without massive cashola.

He also said he wants to address the requests for coop content, but I can't find that post now.

They are going to release a new map (Odessa) for BOS/BOM. This is not the new theatre that's being talked about. Apparently it was a test exercise for one of their team:

A new theatre will be announced quite soon but there's been no official hints as to where it will be set.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Like hell I'm going to buy in to the promises of a sim developer. Fool me once.

I'll wait until there's a playable version of his grand vision.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

EvilJoven posted:

Like hell I'm going to buy in to the promises of a sim developer. Fool me once.

I'll wait until there's a playable version of his grand vision.

yeah, pretty much. I don't really buy that "make IL-2 1946 again" is actually that hard a sell for a publisher, and if that isn't his vision then he needs glasses.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Developer Diary posted:

Today we announce that next week we will unlock all modifications (weapons, equipment, skins) for all planes if you own either the Standard Edition or Premium Edition of BOS or BOM. The Starter Edition, primarily sold in Russia, will not be changed. Unlocking all modifications is the first step in a new direction (or old direction depending on your point of view) for our beloved IL-2 Sturmovik series.

About time.

Not sure whats up with the Starter Edition, I guess Russians just really like grinding unlocks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's probably cheaper.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm going to bet Crimea for the next theater.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Popete posted:

About time.

Not sure whats up with the Starter Edition, I guess Russians just really like grinding unlocks.

A step in the right direction, for sure.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Russians are too cheap to pay.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Grumio posted:

Jason Williams...

I bet he's a fan of Star Citizen.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

-50 % sale on BoS, La-5 and Fw 190.

Premiums: 190 is currently meh in multi, La-5 feels better. Neither is really necessary.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Both are great! The 190 is godmode if you like to just bnz but the La-5 is far more suited for furball flying fun, especially against 109s. You'll be doing a lot of RTB drag racing in the 190 if you miss but it has excellent visibility and firepower compared to 109s.

I really wish they would make the Lagg-3 or Peshak and Stuka free to play so that people can get a taste for the game. That's what got me into Rise of Flight and DCS (Su-25/T-51).

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Thief posted:

Both are great! The 190 is godmode if you like to just bnz but the La-5 is far more suited for furball flying fun, especially against 109s. You'll be doing a lot of RTB drag racing in the 190 if you miss but it has excellent visibility and firepower compared to 109s.

I really wish they would make the Lagg-3 or Peshak and Stuka free to play so that people can get a taste for the game. That's what got me into Rise of Flight and DCS (Su-25/T-51).

I love my 190 in 1v1 dogfights and Peshka hunting, but in MP (which is de facto Wings of Liberty) it:
- requires much more teamwork and coordination against Yak hordes than the nimbler 109.
- At higher alts 109s have it beat and at deck 109s have it beat due to their superior sustained climb. At 2-4km 190 is superb, but you have to get on deck with Yaks to kill Peshkas
- is often available only in limited numbers
- in WoL does not get ground attack ordinance

It does some things much better than F-4 or G-2, but it doesn't make or break games and often feels superficial. That's why I consider it meh (and later 190s will probably be standard in some later addons as well). I still always pick it up if I can but I often fly red anyways (and Ju 88 in blue).

La-5 I consider much more fun if MP is your choice, since it's quite different to LaGGs and Yaks and is such a fun little ball of cannons.

Bottom line: these planes are completely optional and not in any way required for you to be a perfectly good part of any team.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

The most important thing about the 190 is that it is much easier to fly and check your 6 in.

But yeah, 109s are just the most fun dogfighters in the game with the La-5 having a slight edge over most variants in the rare event that two players in these planes are meeting at equal skill/energy levels. 109s are probably the single most fun plane to fly at stall speed regardless of angle or altitude.

The only reason I fly the 190 is because I can since it came with the rich nerd version of the game but my favorite planes right now are the F-2, F-4 and 202/Kittyhawk. I hope to see a pacific expansion for this game because Japanese planes would be a dream to fly in this engine.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Are there any real differences between the F and G 109s? I looked up the differences on Wikipedia but it all seemed rather trivial.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The G has easier engine management but not as high max performance potential as the F.

edit: This is specifically about the F-4 and the G-2 that are in the game.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 30, 2016

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Popete posted:

Are there any real differences between the F and G 109s? I looked up the differences on Wikipedia but it all seemed rather trivial.

G-2 in BoS is limited to 1.3 ATA, whereas F-4 is limited to 1.42 ATA (which seems to be historically accurate). This gives the lighter F-4 the edge. If G-2 could use 1.42 ATA, it would clearly outperform F-4. You don't have to worry that much about blowing your engine in G-2, though!

F-4 also has better frontal visibility and is more manouverable. They feel different, with G-2 feeling more like BnZ plane while F-4 can also play the angles role if needed. In dive G-2 should be faster than F-4. Maybe.

edit: In real life 109Gs had a more powerful engine as a starting point. It all went to insanity after that. Mid-series Gs started to show improved canopies, heavier machine guns, changed wings and tail geometry, methanol-water boost systems and a ridiculous number of all sorts of "field modification" and "series improvements". All those improvements were finally compiled into the final Bf 109 model, the K-4.

Germans were bad at standardization.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 30, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thief posted:

The most important thing about the 190 is that it is much easier to fly and check your 6 in.

But yeah, 109s are just the most fun dogfighters in the game with the La-5 having a slight edge over most variants in the rare event that two players in these planes are meeting at equal skill/energy levels. 109s are probably the single most fun plane to fly at stall speed regardless of angle or altitude.

The only reason I fly the 190 is because I can since it came with the rich nerd version of the game but my favorite planes right now are the F-2, F-4 and 202/Kittyhawk. I hope to see a pacific expansion for this game because Japanese planes would be a dream to fly in this engine.

I miss battering Zeroes in a P-40.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I'd love a pacific expansion, but I get the impression the biggest player base (EU+Russia) really doesn't care for it.

It sounds like the new theatre, whatever it winds up being, will be announced fairly soon. Mediterranean is a prevailing fan theory, as that lets them use a lot of the planes already in the game (plus by adding spits, hurricanes, havocs etc you can port them over to the eastern front as lend lease). Only problem is that the CLoD Team Fusion guys are apparently making a North Africa expansion to their mod, so there is some competition there.

I'm interested in what happens, I just don't want to get burned again.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I miss desert ops too

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Grumio posted:

I'd love a pacific expansion, but I get the impression the biggest player base (EU+Russia) really doesn't care for it.

Most people love the Pacific theatre due to carrier combat, even europeans. The biggest issue is adding carriers, arresting hooks and chocks.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Most people love the Pacific theatre due to carrier combat, even europeans. The biggest issue is adding carriers, arresting hooks and chocks.

And catapults!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I think the biggest hurdle for a developer is making a functional deck that bounces on waves.

iirc boatplanes in Rise of Flight were affected by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ROF sea planes were loving fantastic except for the fact that even with Pat Wilson's excellent campaign generator, the missions for them were mostly poo poo.

There's nothing quite as rear end in a top hat puckering as trying to land on water in one of those things when you're not 100% certain its not all going to fall apart because you've taken some damage from ship AA or somewhere else.