Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

awwwwww

that's a good death, then. tell him hi when you see him next. :unsmith:

ed: everyone i dig is buried at least a 2 hour drive from me

I shall do so. Those dudes would probably seriously fistpump if they heard someone's talking about them 400 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

I shall do so. Those dudes would probably seriously fistpump if they heard someone's talking about them 400 years later.
fistpumps from stallhandsch would be serious fistpumps indeed :prepop:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kemper Boyd posted:

He's buried in the cathedral in my hometown. His tin casket has been put on display there, along with his armor. I usually give a tour to people consisting of "this wrought iron fence is 700 years old", "here is the only queen that's been buried in Finland", "Åke Tott was a big deal and probably The Biggest Deal in Finnish history and boy did he marry well" and "Torsten Stålhandske was one of the best commanders of cav Sweden ever produced and boy did he marry well."

Also: descendants of Stålhandske still leave flowers at his chapel in the cathedral.

Didn't he die childless? Do you have good photos of his mausoleum? What does the text on it say?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Koesj posted:

How about them United Provinces.

the biggest losers of the war. still full of dutch people even today.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

libre office
how do i turn the years 90 degrees so they take up less space and can i pick my own colors on libreoffice?

Not a clue, I use SigmaPlot pretty much exclusively. When you get back to the US, your home university/department should have copies of better spreadsheet and graphing software they will install on your laptop for free.

If you want to email me the spreadsheet you used to make that I can throw something together quickly as an example and I can help you with SigmaPlot when you're back.

I would probably flip the whole thing 90 degrees and have the dates on the Y-axis, then you can add in major battles and events.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

I would probably flip the whole thing 90 degrees and have the dates on the Y-axis, then you can add in major battles and events.
yeah, i definitely want to highlight at least Breitenfeld, Wittstock, and the Pomeranian campaign, because that's what the paper's about

is sigmaplot online? i should finish counting dragoons tonight and then i'll have a completed spreadsheet as well as a csv document

also, speaking of the 30yw dudes fistpumping from heaven...
http://www.vice.com/read/this-guy-went-on-an-all-alcohol-diet-for-a-week-722

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

yeah, i definitely want to highlight at least Breitenfeld, Wittstock, and the Pomeranian campaign, because that's what the paper's about

is sigmaplot online? i should finish counting dragoons tonight and then i'll have a completed spreadsheet as well as a csv document

Yeah I would switch the axes so your dates and battle notations read left-to-right. You could also get fancy and have another graph parallel with shading that represents various phases and campaigns or whatever.

Sigmaplot has a 30-day free trial that is fully functional: https://systatsoftware.com/downloads/download-sigmaplot/

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

Didn't he die childless? Do you have good photos of his mausoleum? What does the text on it say?

Should have clarified, not direct descendants because the noble side of the family has died out. But apparently some people related to him. A tour guide told me this when I wondered about a vase of flowers in the chapel.

It's pretty hard to get decent photos or read the text on his memorial since it's behind one of those fences. If I ever have the chance, I could try to ask the staff if I could get some photos.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kemper Boyd posted:

Should have clarified, not direct descendants because the noble side of the family has died out. But apparently some people related to him. A tour guide told me this when I wondered about a vase of flowers in the chapel.

It's pretty hard to get decent photos or read the text on his memorial since it's behind one of those fences. If I ever have the chance, I could try to ask the staff if I could get some photos.

cool

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Just wanted to say that while I didn't read every part of your naval mine posts (I mostly read the tidbits with interesting sounding titles), they're very well written, and really cool and informative stuff.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Was it common for 17th century generals to be childless (or just having illegit kids) because they spent all of their life campaigning?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

Was it common for 17th century generals to be childless (or just having illegit kids) because they spent all of their life campaigning?
anecdotally, i really think so. off the top of my head,

wallenstein: one surviving child, one dead infant
pappenheim: ditto but his son was also a soldier and died in the 40s in a duel, surprising nobody
aldringen: no kids, the noble line he founded is the Clary-Aldringens, that's his sister's kids
gallas: two kids
piccolomini: three kids, all also soldiers, all died before he did. The piccolominis, like the montecuccolis, kinda all were in the military.
tilly: no kids but he's a special case, his nephew was his heir
sporck: two daughters, the noble line he founded was the Swets-Sporcks
holck: was he even married? :iiam:

can anyone give a comparatively halfassed list of anti-imperialists

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 21, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

anecdotally, i really think so. off the top of my head,

wallenstein: one surviving child, one dead infant
pappenheim: ditto but his son was also a soldier and died in the 40s in a duel, surprising nobody
aldringen: no kids, the noble line he founded is the Clary-Aldringens, that's his sister's kids
gallas: two kids
piccolomini: three kids, all also soldiers, all died before he did. The piccolominis, like the montecuccolis, kinda all were in the military.
tilly: no kids but he's a special case, his nephew was his heir
sporck: two daughters, the noble line he founded was the Swets-Sporcks
holck: was he even married? :iiam:

can anyone give a comparatively halfassed list of anti-imperialists

Gustavus Adolphus with one daughter Christina and one bastard son Gustav, who was raised to a count by his half-sister. Btw, the cavalry museum I mentioned is in a town that was chartered by Queen Christina.

And the aforementioned Stålhandske. Kemper Boyd probably knows more.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 21, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
...best queen?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

...best queen?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
sexiest person in europe, right here.
daaaaaang

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

the biggest losers of the war. still full of dutch people even today.

:drat:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

On the bright side, thanks to Gustavus Adolphus' efforts, there's a lot less Swedes in Sweden. :v:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

...best queen?

Catherine the Great was pretty cool too

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GAL posted:

...best queen?

I quite like

But I may be stretching things.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

...best queen?

itym best king

Åke Tott's son, Claes Tott, was one of Christina's favorites and so bad at fuckin' the Tott line died out.

Incidentally, I think there's a relationship between infertility/male impotence and riding horses. That would explain a lot, because all of those dudes spent a ton of their time on horseback. Dunno where I read this and if this is bullshit.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kemper Boyd posted:

itym best king

Åke Tott's son, Claes Tott, was one of Christina's favorites and so bad at fuckin' the Tott line died out.

Incidentally, I think there's a relationship between infertility/male impotence and riding horses. That would explain a lot, because all of those dudes spent a ton of their time on horseback. Dunno where I read this and if this is bullshit.

What about Genghis Khan?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmI3vAIhbE

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

itym best king
yaaaaaaaas king

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pershing posted:

Not to criticise you, Cythereal, but I think an argument could be made to link instead and mark with a :nms: tag.

This is from a bit ago but no, don't.

This is the milhist thread. People doing awful poo poo to each other is pretty much its reason for being.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Pellisworth posted:

Nay.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I'm working on the last post about mines now, i may split it up into two depending on how much i feel like typing tommorrow evening but i wanted to ask if people would want to read another series of posts in a while when im done reading about the topic.

Would people be interested in an industrial overview of production in the World Wars? I got very excited today when i found the US and UK official histories of wartime production and a book by a professor at my university about WW1 industry, it can get a little dry as a topic but if people are i will read them with a view to coming back and writing about them,

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Polyakov posted:

I'm working on the last post about mines now, i may split it up into two depending on how much i feel like typing tommorrow evening but i wanted to ask if people would want to read another series of posts in a while when im done reading about the topic.

Would people be interested in an industrial overview of production in the World Wars? I got very excited today when i found the US and UK official histories of wartime production and a book by a professor at my university about WW1 industry, it can get a little dry as a topic but if people are i will read them with a view to coming back and writing about them,

Your effort posts on mines are great. And you know how this thread responds to new content

Just post

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Polyakov posted:

Would people be interested in

:justpost:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is from a bit ago but no, don't.

This is the milhist thread. People doing awful poo poo to each other is pretty much its reason for being.

That post was also prefaced with what it was about, and it was something you have to consciously read and interpret, not like a picture of a dismembered corpse.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Pellisworth posted:

Neigh.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Kemper Boyd posted:

literally from a roleplaying game

http://gregstolze.com/reign1/

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Watched from my balcony jets circling back to the lake for the Chicago air and water show while catching up on this thread. Good stuff. From that horrifying Warsaw story the narrator mentions how getting shot in a full stomach is much worse than an empty one. Any truth to that or just an old soldier's tale?

Also I have deck of cards of naval spotting for ships from the 40s through the 60s. It's missing a card since I gave the ship class my dad served on to him. Useless as a deck and it's just a repro, so anyone want it? Thought one of you naval nerds might anyway.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Poor old Catherine, thought of studs and died.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

Watched from my balcony jets circling back to the lake for the Chicago air and water show while catching up on this thread. Good stuff. From that horrifying Warsaw story the narrator mentions how getting shot in a full stomach is much worse than an empty one. Any truth to that or just an old soldier's tale?

Presumably a full stomach means that your digestive tract is working and draws extra blood, whereas on an empty stomach there'd be less blood in the area where you got shot. Which is good. Kinda.

Before antibiotics, a gut shot just meant your death was slow and painful, anyway.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

ArchangeI posted:

Presumably a full stomach means that your digestive tract is working and draws extra blood, whereas on an empty stomach there'd be less blood in the area where you got shot. Which is good. Kinda.

Before antibiotics, a gut shot just meant your death was slow and painful, anyway.

I have read that same story, that being shot into an empty stomach lessened the chance of fatal infections. Adolf Ehrnrooth, liutenant-colonel at the time, was hit into stomach by grenade fragments and, in an interview much later (he died in 2004) said the surgeon who operated him said his life was saved by the fact that he had not had the time to eat before taking part in an assault.

Edit: The reason given was that if your stomach gets perforated while it has food inside that semi-digested crap is going to get into your stomach cavity and if there is nothing there you won't get poisoned by your lunch.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Also an empty stomach wouldn't have all its lining cells producing stomach acid at full tilt, which the rest of your insides would probably appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Nonsense. Have a hearty lunch before battle and instruct your batman to finish the job if you get gutshot.