Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

amethystbliss posted:

I'm in a master's entry program that involves 1 year pre-licensure RN training + 2 years NP training. You're accepted to your specialty track when you apply. I just finished the first year, and will continue to the psych NP training in the fall. I have a decent amount of psych experience; I have a master's degree in a related field, and have worked for the VA in psychiatric research for 5 years managing various research trials and doing diagnostic assessments. I've also done some mental healthcare research abroad. I was initially going to go the clinical psych PhD route, but after doing the publishing and conference presentation circuit for a few years, decided academia wasn't for me. I definitely prefer working with patients. I initially started undergrad in a BSN program ages ago, but then life happened and I switched majors/moved abroad for a while, so becoming an RN has been a long time coming :).

I'm doing a new grad internship now for the summer (unpaid), and the hiring manager said a position is opening next month that they'd love to consider me for. She knows I'm moving straight into more schooling, so I'm hopeful. It's not psych (L&D/mother/baby), but it's a great unit. Until then, I just got my first offer to give flu shots to people who work at Google for the next few months?

Sounds like you've got a solid plan! It's great to have contacts within a hospital who can see your performance, especially when they want to hire you! There's plenty of psych stuff that comes through MCH, anyway.

If you've got your timeline all planned, go for the flu shot gig and enjoy a cushy job while you still can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well I aced my Access to nursing course but my uni application was declined and I was placed on the waiting list. The admissions tutor contacted me today to tell me that all 60-odd place offers they'd made have been accepted and confirmed by the uni which means nobody failed to meet the grades required, but they're waiting on the health and criminal record checks of 10 people. So basically from now until the course begins on September 12th I have to just hope someone decides they don't want their incredibly difficult to get university place after all and I get a call out of the blue asking if I want it.

This suuuuucks

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ya that's what happens when every 20-something-year-old girl has wanted to be a nurse since like 2006

poo poo is so insane competitive it's ridiculous. The standards they keep raising are absurd

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ya that's what happens when every 20-something-year-old girl has wanted to be a nurse since like 2006

poo poo is so insane competitive it's ridiculous. The standards they keep raising are absurd

Now if only they'd stop quitting after 2 years, maybe staffing wouldn't suck so much.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm the only person in my Access group without a place.. most unis required at least 24 distinctions, I got the full possible 45 distinctions, and at least five people in my group didn't meet the 24 distinction requirement but were still accepted. One of them got nine distinctions and was still accepted. So I dunno if it's a standards thing. I somehow failed hard at interview, I guess!

I guess I'm proud I smashed the access course but I feel like most of it was wasted time and effort if nine distinctions was enough to get a place. The Nursing Times newsletter I got today had a top story about a chronic shortage of mental health nurses which was reeeal salt in the wound. I'm trying! I'm TRYING!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ya that's what happens when every 20-something-year-old girl has wanted to be a nurse since like 2006 2016.

Fixed that for ya.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

dog days are over posted:

I'm the only person in my Access group without a place.. most unis required at least 24 distinctions, I got the full possible 45 distinctions, and at least five people in my group didn't meet the 24 distinction requirement but were still accepted. One of them got nine distinctions and was still accepted. So I dunno if it's a standards thing. I somehow failed hard at interview, I guess!

I know some schools do a small random lottery for admissions

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Student Room forum saw fit to send me an email just now entitled 'I didn't get my grades but I still got into uni!'. All these kicks in my kidneys today. :(

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
My GPA was worse than my coworker, but my TEAS score creamed hers so now she's paying something like $40k for school while I get away with around $12k. :awesome:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

In many cases it's hmm wait two+ years for a chance to get in or just pay $50k now

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Reading these posts, I feel slightly better about myself for getting into nursing school in one go and passing everything the first try.

Of course I'm starting my last semester of my BSN program and, looking at the list of assignments due in just the first 6 weeks, hate myself all over again.

But I feel less stressed than I did before telling myself "it's OK to take some time off before grad school". I think I would have either burned out, failed out, or had a breakdown, if I'd gone straight into a 4 year DNP program like I'd originally planned.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Annath posted:

Reading these posts, I feel slightly better about myself for getting into nursing school in one go and passing everything the first try.

I'M REAL HAPPY FOR YOU :cry:

One good thing is that I'm normally terrible about keeping my phone with me and charged, but now that I'm literally waiting for a phonecall at any moment now is a great time to get in touch with me easily. My family are thrilled!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

What're people's thoughts about the shift away from ABSNs to Masters Entry Programs? Some of them, like UCSF's, sound like an ABSN and a Master's program crammed together, so you leave after three years with a MSN as an advanced practice nurse. Others though, like Columbia's, don't sound any different from ab ABSN program; you finish after 15 months with the NCLEX as an RN.

Would it be weird to put MSN on your resume but not have any advanced practice study?

dumb stupid idiot
Nov 4, 2015

REALLY NOT
FEELIN UP
TO IT RIGHT
NOW. SORRY.

:h:
My school created a clinical nurse leader program out of thin air and started selling it *hard* to the absn students at my orientation with a "guaranteed acceptance if you continue right from your bachelors" thing.

It was funny because their rationale for taking this seemingly-completely-pointless degree was "set yourself apart as a new graduate with extra qualifications." Except that they spent the first half of the orientation telling all of us how brilliant we were for getting into an absn program and how they only accept the best of the best. If that's true then why would any of us need that kind of leg up??

I mean I can at least see the purpose of a straight-to-FNP or straight-to-CNM program, but this just seemed like a poorly disguised way of saying "Okay I know you all just signed up to give us a huge amount of money, but have you considered.... giving us even more money??"

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

dumb stupid idiot posted:

My school created a clinical nurse leader program out of thin air and started selling it *hard* to the absn students at my orientation with a "guaranteed acceptance if you continue right from your bachelors" thing.

It was funny because their rationale for taking this seemingly-completely-pointless degree was "set yourself apart as a new graduate with extra qualifications." Except that they spent the first half of the orientation telling all of us how brilliant we were for getting into an absn program and how they only accept the best of the best. If that's true then why would any of us need that kind of leg up??

I mean I can at least see the purpose of a straight-to-FNP or straight-to-CNM program, but this just seemed like a poorly disguised way of saying "Okay I know you all just signed up to give us a huge amount of money, but have you considered.... giving us even more money??"

When I learned about being a nurse I took a deep dive into all the specialties and I've never heard of this one. FNP or CNM though. I doubt you'll need to set yourself apart with the state of healthcare. If you're competent and have a pulse, you're in.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Would it be weird to put MSN on your resume but not have any advanced practice study?
I don't hire, but if I was orienting a new grad who told me they had a MSN without any experience I'd probably be a little wary about it. And the people who went on from my ABSN right to FNP school have me extremely nervous too. I mean, I learned more in my first month of orientation than I ever did in my ABSN, and going to be an NP without that experience seems just wrong. Maybe I'm paranoid and trying to justify not going to school immediately to myself, or I'm viewing it solely from the perspective of being in the ICU, but still.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

I don't hire, but if I was orienting a new grad who told me they had a MSN without any experience I'd probably be a little wary about it.

I think that's fair but situational. I'm a nontraditional student who has worked in law for years after getting my bachelor's, and am working on my pre-reqs for multiple programs, one of which is a MSN, like you said that is a sort of ABSN and MSN all crammed into one. By the time I get boarded I'll have over a decade in the legal field and probably be 37-38. I would like to think that a solid work history, even in another field, combined with good marks, a good interview/attitude and networking while in clinicals could overcome a degree of wariness regarding lack of experience for some MSN holders.

That said, if it was some 22-24 year old with a MSN, I'd probably be a bit wary too. The real world, and working in any real industry teaches you poo poo you just don't learn in school.

Edit: Also, think about how med students go direct into their internships/residencies with no real experience. I think the medical field understands that there's an acclimation period before whatever training you've had will fully kick in, and expects you to learn a great deal on the job. I know that's the way it was for me in the legal field as well. Then again, I may just be thinking positively.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 21, 2016

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
How does a person know they want a masters degree in nursing with zero experience actually working as a nurse? Going straight from BSN to MSN or DNP doesn't make any sense to me, especially since you'd have to write that you have no experience on the application.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

From what I remember hearing you can pretty much become a FNP without being a nurse. Just have to get your RN at x point during the program

It does seem extremely backwards and you learn so much simply working for at least a couple years. But then again PAs and MDs hardly have actual experience and go through all that schooling and such after doing a bunch of pointless volunteer hours in a hospital running labs back and forth and greeting people so

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

What're people's thoughts about the shift away from ABSNs to Masters Entry Programs? Some of them, like UCSF's, sound like an ABSN and a Master's program crammed together, so you leave after three years with a MSN as an advanced practice nurse. Others though, like Columbia's, don't sound any different from ab ABSN program; you finish after 15 months with the NCLEX as an RN.

I'm in this program at UCSF. Happy to answer any questions. The specialties at UCSF all expect a significant amount of work history in the field at the time of application--I was accepted to all of the other well-respected masters entry programs and they all had the same expectation (Yale, Vanderbilt, Columbia, and the likes). In my cohort, psych students have years of experience as doing psych research, working as psych techs, prior careers in social work or counseling, etc. All of the midwifery students have spent years working as lactation consultants, doulas, or managing community clinics. A large percentage of my cohort have masters degrees in other fields, mostly in public health, and most have been working with nurses or NPs in other roles.

Also, most of us work full-time while doing the masters portion, so we have a solid 2-3 years of RN experience before actually working as NPs. Some people choose to take an extra step out year and work as an RN before doing the master's. Employers in the Bay Area don't seem to mind--UCSF is really well respected around here, and most specialties have 100% job placement upon graduation.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

amethystbliss posted:

I'm in this program at UCSF. Happy to answer any questions. The specialties at UCSF all expect a significant amount of work history in the field at the time of application--I was accepted to all of the other well-respected masters entry programs and they all had the same expectation (Yale, Vanderbilt, Columbia, and the likes). In my cohort, psych students have years of experience as doing psych research, working as psych techs, prior careers in social work or counseling, etc. All of the midwifery students have spent years working as lactation consultants, doulas, or managing community clinics. A large percentage of my cohort have masters degrees in other fields, mostly in public health, and most have been working with nurses or NPs in other roles.

Also, most of us work full-time while doing the masters portion, so we have a solid 2-3 years of RN experience before actually working as NPs. Some people choose to take an extra step out year and work as an RN before doing the master's. Employers in the Bay Area don't seem to mind--UCSF is really well respected around here, and most specialties have 100% job placement upon graduation.

How do you work full time while in NP school?

The program I was looking at suggested no more than 12 hours of work per week, preferably not more than 24 hours per month. It had 28-32 hours of clinicals per week, plus the academic assignments. A big part of why I put my plans for grad school on hold was because I honestly don't know how I could manage that sort of program, especially for 4 years (it is a BSN-DNP Program)

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
The problem isn't direct entry. It's that fnp school is a farce.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Roki B posted:

The sheer amount of NPs turned out every year is mind boggling. I'm sure there are some quality ones making it out but looking at some of the programs out there it's laughable. They really need more hard science and less leadership bullshit.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 22, 2016

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Annath posted:

How do you work full time while in NP school?

The program I was looking at suggested no more than 12 hours of work per week, preferably not more than 24 hours per month. It had 28-32 hours of clinicals per week, plus the academic assignments. A big part of why I put my plans for grad school on hold was because I honestly don't know how I could manage that sort of program, especially for 4 years (it is a BSN-DNP Program)

I've worked full time through NP school. I pretty much have no social life besides two weekends a year, and one date night almost every week. I've had to drop almost all of my obligations except the ones I can do online. It's been rough, but it is possible.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

B-Mac posted:

The sheer amount of NPs turned out every year is mind boggling. I'm sure there are some quality ones making it out but looking at some of the programs out there it's laughable. They really need more hard science and less leadership bullshit.
It's pissing me off because I'm eyeing ACNP as a career and I really don't need more competition to drive my salary even lower than it will be.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So when they gonna require a doctorate for it

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So when they gonna require a doctorate for it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I've met some really really good NPs. But I think it was a bit more niche years ago and arguably higher quality schools. Now the US is trying to increase access to healthcare heavily and pumping them out like crazy and all these weird shady schools popped up or added a program

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

amethystbliss posted:

The specialties at UCSF all expect a significant amount of work history in the field at the time of application--I was accepted to all of the other well-respected masters entry programs and they all had the same expectation (Yale, Vanderbilt, Columbia, and the likes). In my cohort, psych students have years of experience as doing psych research, working as psych techs, prior careers in social work or counseling, etc. All of the midwifery students have spent years working as lactation consultants, doulas, or managing community clinics. A large percentage of my cohort have masters degrees in other fields, mostly in public health, and most have been working with nurses or NPs in other roles.

well good to know i shouldn't waste my application fee applying at ucsf this spring

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Hey all I started a goon healthcare worker fb group if you'd like to join shoot me a pm or post here and I'll send you a link, God bless

Goon nursing student reporting in.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Roki B posted:

I've had (literally) equal numbers of people saying "FNP is terrible, go Adult-Gerontological", and "A-G is going the way of the dodo, FNP (or Psych NP) for Lyfe"

What makes you say it's a "farce"?

Also, I figured a 4 year program would be more thorough and useful than a 2 year" accelerated" program.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

well good to know i shouldn't waste my application fee applying at ucsf this spring
Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions. If you have good grades, good pre reqs, and can show dedication to working with underserved populations, it's worth a shot :).

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Annath posted:

I've had (literally) equal numbers of people saying "FNP is terrible, go Adult-Gerontological", and "A-G is going the way of the dodo, FNP (or Psych NP) for Lyfe"

What makes you say it's a "farce"?

Also, I figured a 4 year program would be more thorough and useful than a 2 year" accelerated" program.

Yes please comment on this.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
The volume of essentially uneducated nurses being handed the title of NP via online school is diluting whatever reputation of quality they once had.

Blame diploma mills I suppose. If I had the capital I'd be trying to get in on NP tuition dollars too.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
What about acute care DNPs? My current plan is to work on the floor (ED/ICU, i dunno what yet) for many years and then likely try to specialize. Not interested at all in FNP.

Roki are you in Portland or Seattle? I think its Portland. I want to move to Portland. Right now we're considering Long Beach/LA, Chicago (top choice), Atlanta, and then the PNW is a dream of mine that likely won't occur because we don't know anyone there and also the Big One is coming. It's also really expensive to own a home up there which is an eventual goal. I graduate in December and will likely work out in AZ for a year or so since I have connections, assuming I can get a job. Plus it'll give us time to get used to the night shift thing, figured that would be a good idea before moving away from our entire support network!

dumb stupid idiot
Nov 4, 2015

REALLY NOT
FEELIN UP
TO IT RIGHT
NOW. SORRY.

:h:

Roki B posted:

The volume of essentially uneducated nurses being handed the title of NP via online school is diluting whatever reputation of quality they once had.

Blame diploma mills I suppose. If I had the capital I'd be trying to get in on NP tuition dollars too.

wait are you saying i can't learn how to deliver babies by watching online videos

you know what gently caress it i'll just go to libya or syria and call myself a medic, they'll recognize my 100+ hours of youtube credits there, i hear it's worked for goons before

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

Dude. These fuckers get into these programs and then have to go find their own preceptor and clinical site. poo poo makes me ashamed to be an APRN. CRNA programs have their own issues too though... allowing clinical sites where MDA's hamstring the students practice/training who then graduate being unable to compete with them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Finagle posted:

Goon nursing student reporting in.

PM'd you a link. If anyone else wants in to the group lmk it's pretty popping

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

PM'd you a link. If anyone else wants in to the group lmk it's pretty popping

Shoot me a link I reckon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

It's pissing me off because I'm eyeing ACNP as a career and I really don't need more competition to drive my salary even lower than it will be.

We're the rarest of the rare. I wouldn't worry about it. It used to be FNPs got hired everywhere and in the last few years I've started to see them essentially blocked from inpatient work because it's just too much of a crapshoot as to if they can hack it. There's a huge demand for inpatient trained providers and it's basically just us vs the PAs.

Iron Lung posted:

What about acute care DNPs? My current plan is to work on the floor (ED/ICU, i dunno what yet) for many years and then likely try to specialize. Not interested at all in FNP.

Roki are you in Portland or Seattle? I think its Portland. I want to move to Portland. Right now we're considering Long Beach/LA, Chicago (top choice), Atlanta, and then the PNW is a dream of mine that likely won't occur because we don't know anyone there and also the Big One is coming. It's also really expensive to own a home up there which is an eventual goal. I graduate in December and will likely work out in AZ for a year or so since I have connections, assuming I can get a job. Plus it'll give us time to get used to the night shift thing, figured that would be a good idea before moving away from our entire support network!

Careful there - ACNP does not prepare you to work in the ED. I could do ICU easily but there's so much god drat family medicine in the ED that we really aren't good providers for that. The ED also doesn't screen out kids and pregnant women so you straight up have next to zero training for a not-insignificant chunk of your population. If I wanted to go to the ED I'd have to go pick up an FNP degree before I felt remotely comfortable.

EDIT: Oops, misread that you want to work there as a nurse. Carry on...

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 24, 2016