Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bands that maintain a similar sound and are good at it are praised for being consistent and having a signature style. Bands that maintain a similar sound and are bad at it are criticized for being stagnant and tired.

Bands that change things up and are good at are praised for being eclectic. Bands that change things up and are bad at it are criticized for going away from their roots.

I don't know why this is a difficult concept for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

It needs a little EQ and I'm not sure a lossless version exists, but seek out the Guitar Hero rip. There's really no other way to listen to the album (well, not without getting a headache).
I'll look into that, thanks! As for St. Anger, there are definitely bits of it I really like and overall I don't consider it to be a huge failure but I agree on the snare. That loving snare. The Mission: Impossible 2 track (I Disappear?) was good but the snare is there too.

E: Yeah, holy poo poo. Even with the slightly muted vocals the GH3 version of Death Magnetic is ridiculously better than the release. How did they not put this out instead of the retail version?

Makes me think of the "... And Justice for Jason" version of "Justice":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kqTcLwUYj8

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 20, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When I was in my mid to late teens, I used to think that longer was better and bands had to play in a certain "style" to be authentic. This was all at the expense of the actual songwriting. Like if Dream Theater's latest album was released in 2005, I would think it was the greatest poo poo ever instead of what it actually is now. Musical tastes shift with age, but I think as you age you get better at discerning what is "good" songwriting and what is just noodling. That could be tied with the nostalgia I feel for that time in my life, but I also feel like I can say that Octavarium is objectively better than A Dramatic Turn of Events.

Metallica is never going to play the same music as their first four albums, but the stuff they're putting out now isn't hot garbage or anything. The thing that gets me is that when they released their first few albums, they really defined the genre. What they're doing now is just a rehash or at least trying to reach back into what made those albums great and failing at it.

What if Dream Theater or Opeth broke up right at the peak of their songwriting and popularity? You wouldn't have to suffer through what their current output is and we'd all be like "man Opeth could still be making poo poo like Ghost Reveries and just killing it.". In a way, I'd rather the bands retire their names and just start new under something different, but from a business sense that would hurt what limited marketability they have. Then again, I don't think any band would be like "we've just released our best album that we're going to make, we should get out while we're on top". Gotta ride that wave as long as it lasts.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Zeal and Ardor is a pretty natural progression out of black metal-influenced white trash alt-country like The Goddamn Gallows but it coming from NYC is kind of surprising

I was actually in the 4chan thread where this guy came up with the concept :v:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Gamma Nerd posted:

I was actually in the 4chan thread where this guy came up with the concept :v:

Yeah, it's funny to see how rags like Noisey praised him for being revolutionary, when the dude just came up with the idea on 4chan. This after someone said "friend of the family music" enough times.

I personally thought it was poo poo, but I can't argue with other people's taste.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bands that maintain a similar sound and are good at it are praised for being consistent and having a signature style. Bands that maintain a similar sound and are bad at it are criticized for being stagnant and tired.

Bands that change things up and are good at are praised for being eclectic. Bands that change things up and are bad at it are criticized for going away from their roots.

I don't know why this is a difficult concept for some people.

It ends up being about whether or not you like the band.

I like Sabaton despite the fact that they always sound virtually the same, and hate Alestorm for always sounding the same (plus their innate lack of talent).

What you see as an asset on some, you hate in others. We try to come up with reasons to justify this cognitive dissonance, but it's just about "I like this band... gently caress that other one".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

but I can't argue with other people's taste.

I think if there's one thing this thread demonstrates it's that you absolutely can

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

St. Anger is a concept album about James growing the gently caress up, and I can respect that. There are even perhaps 2-3 good songs on it, even with the horrible mixing.

I don't really get why Death Magnetic is considered a "return to form" when there is nothing on it that sounds like or has much to do with their 80's or 90's stuff and the production value is terrible. This was the whisper campaign before they had even released it. "Metallica is making a Metallica album again!" It mostly sounds like a more developed St. Anger.

Hot take: Kirk Hammett hasn't put together a good solo in 25 years.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah. The solo in the new song is extremely bad, like probably the worst part of the song, basically a parody of a Bad Kirk Hammett solo.

How does everyone feel about the new Blood Incantation? I think it's very good, Vektor & Gorguts still top of the heap this year tho (Sinistrous Diabolus is also incredible, please listen to that).

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I really really like Starspawn

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

david crosby posted:

(Sinistrous Diabolus is also incredible, please listen to that).

I wish he'd separated out the songs instead of putting it into two sides, but it's pretty cool. They were insane last year when I saw them too.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

im listening to zeal and ardor and this is some a-level invisible oranges / cvlt nation retard bait

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Well...maybe not with Metallica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMs9yNlBp4c&t=144s

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kirk hasn't put together a good solo ever. James' solo in nothing else matters is better than anything Kirk has ever done. He's the most useless member of the band by a long shot.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
He wrote the Enter Sandman riff thus making them richer than Croesus.

And they've spent the past 25 years since basically rewriting that riff in every permutation imaginable.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Laserface posted:

Kirk hasn't put together a good solo ever.

Wrong.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

funeral fag posted:

im listening to zeal and ardor and this is some a-level invisible oranges / cvlt nation retard bait

There are many, many experimental music—metal, noise, and otherwise—albums out there, but none of them sound quite as human as this one. Only a truly curious, seasoned musician with little regard for tetchy genre constraints could have pulled this off half this well

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Laserface posted:

Kirk hasn't put together a good solo ever. James' solo in nothing else matters is better than anything Kirk has ever done. He's the most useless member of the band by a long shot.

Bullshit sir, listen to One.

Here, I'll help you out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXPkmIwwobA&t=342s

e: also, I really don't see how anyone can say anybody but Lars is the most "worthless" member of metallica, he's had 30+ years to work on it and he's still the shittiest fuckin drummer

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 20, 2016

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
My 15 YO niece is going to Metallica tonight.

She's painted her nails in preparation.

She also plays electric guitar. I had to share how awesome she is and this seemed like a good place to do it. The world needs more teenage girl metalheads.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I'm going to Skeletonwitch so I think I win

I'm gonna paint my nails too gently caress you

Fenrir posted:

e: also, I really don't see how anyone can say anybody but Lars is the most "worthless" member of metallica, he's had 30+ years to work on it and he's still the shittiest fuckin drummer

Imagine the lessons you could get on Metallica money. Gene Hoglan just teaching you in your bedroom.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 20, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fenrir posted:

He's a halfway competent businessman, which puts him ahead of 99% of working musicians.

As stupidly as they handled the napster thing, he was prescient about what the effect would be with digital distribution and the lack of royalties.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Lars Ulrich is the best man - someone who probably never listened to black and or death metal.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Ramaroot posted:

My 15 YO niece is going to Metallica tonight.

She's painted her nails in preparation.

She also plays electric guitar. I had to share how awesome she is and this seemed like a good place to do it. The world needs more teenage girl metalheads.

This is the best thing :kimchi:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Non Serviam posted:

Yeah, it's funny to see how rags like Noisey praised him for being revolutionary, when the dude just came up with the idea on 4chan. This after someone said "friend of the family music" enough times.

I personally thought it was poo poo, but I can't argue with other people's taste.
Eh, I don't see how someone recommending a fusion of two genres of music diminishes the work the guy did to actually compose or produce any of it. It's really good for what it is and how it came about. Whether that's actually worth anything independent of those confines is a matter of taste. Mariachi El Bronx started out as a dumb gimmick too and has now arguably outreached the band that spawned them

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I listened to some Zeal and Ardor but it just made me want to listen to Panopticon so I did

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Eh, I don't see how someone recommending a fusion of two genres of music diminishes the work the guy did to actually compose or produce any of it. It's really good for what it is and how it came about. Whether that's actually worth anything independent of those confines is a matter of taste. Mariachi El Bronx started out as a dumb gimmick too and has now arguably outreached the band that spawned them

I don't think it diminishes his work. I just think that it's silly to paint him as a visionary when it just came out of a 4chan thread. If the results are good for you, or for anyone, go for it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

I don't think it diminishes his work. I just think that it's silly to paint him as a visionary when it just came out of a 4chan thread. If the results are good for you, or for anyone, go for it.
the Toby Fox of black metal

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

the Toby Fox of black metal
I giggled.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I listened to some Zeal and Ardor and can't help but feel that it would be better without the "black metal" bits that feel rather tacked on.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
the new skeletonwitch EP is actually pretty good

its not "fun" like the older albums but still worth listening to

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

MrBling posted:

I listened to some Zeal and Ardor and can't help but feel that it would be better without the "black metal" bits that feel rather tacked on.

Try Graveyard Train

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE

Faffel posted:

I'm going to Skeletonwitch so I think I win

I'm gonna paint my nails too gently caress you

Post pictures!

My bro-in-law (not aforementioned niece's dad) fell asleep half way through the concert. He's not living that down any time soon I think.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Also the aforementioned Goddamn Gallows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDTTnXfsMus

e: haha, I forgot this song had the words "graveyard train" in its lyrics

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
re: new Metallica

Honestly, I think that even if they made a new album that was super great it still wouldn't measure up or move me like their earlier stuff or even an album by another band possibly would. Any new Metallica album, no matter how good, would have to compete with a body of work that not only has music that I enjoy from the standpoint of pure music analysis, but also has a bunch of other emotions and memories baked into it due to it being one of the pillars of my adolescence. You know, stuff like it being the soundtrack to parties that I went to in high school, jamming on riffs with my friends when we were all first learning how to play our instruments., or listening to it on my discman walking to and from school. Even if an album like Ride The Lightning was somehow full of other songs and their new album was the RTL songs, I still probably wouldn't like it as much. and think that there was something off about it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chiming in late to say that Blood Incantation is indeed great

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Chiming in late to say that Blood Incantation is indeed great

I'm the guy whose pre-order from DD still hasn't arrived...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Use Spotify to tide yourself over?

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Did you preorder through bandcamp? You should be able to download a digital copy if u did. I'd hate for anyone to have to wait to listen to such a great album.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

david crosby posted:

Did you preorder through bandcamp? You should be able to download a digital copy if u did. I'd hate for anyone to have to wait to listen to such a great album.

Nope. Directly from dd. I'm an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Maybe I'm crazy but the new metallica song sounds kind of decent when the drums aren't the loudest thing.

https://youtu.be/HZan1NsiAYs