Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MarsellusWallace posted:

All shells in real life come down at an angle, all shells in the game come down at an angle. Shells from very long range have a chance of penetrating the relatively thin deck armor and piercing the citadel.

TL;DR everything NTRabbit says is a pass poor attempt at trolling.

All shells in the game do not come down at the same steepness of angle of real world ones because the game doesn't work that way, and never has. It's not controversial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Burt posted:

Can anyone who does mods tell me how to get rid of the critical hit "go deaf hear heartbeat" sound. it drives me loving mental when it goes off.

There may or may not be dubs/free ships in it for you.*

*[Probably not].

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/43657-sound-repack-research-group/#topmost

Note that after you perform the unpack and repack, any time the game is updated, you'll have to perform these steps again.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

MrKatharsis posted:

Double post here, but with the Bismarck out and the British cruisers on the way, it's time to tell the story of Unsinkable Sam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsinkable_Sam
Hah, there's actually a cat with the same name and very similar backstory in the CRPG Divinity: Original Sin. Cool to know he's based on a real thing. :)

Astroclassicist posted:

Not as cool as enlisted Great Dane, Just Nuisance RN
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Nuisance
As an officer of the WOOF clan, I hereby declare this dog our official mascot because holy poo poo this is amazing. :allears:

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Krogort posted:

Not much but hope for fire yea.

My life as a russian cruiser :

Had to back-to-back games this weekend in the Chapayev where I did over 100k damage and a Witherer badge, took almost no damage (first game 100% hp, second game I took one overpen from a Scharnhorst). Team lost both games I was the only survivor. Frustrating as hell to basically have a superb game melting Tirpitzes and dodging like a madman but you lose because your destroyers all die in the first three minutes.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bulbaros and I carrying pubbies to victory....

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Pacra posted:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/43657-sound-repack-research-group/#topmost

Note that after you perform the unpack and repack, any time the game is updated, you'll have to perform these steps again.

That may have well as been written in Aramaic.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I don't know why I unlocked a carrier, this seems absolutely unbearable gameplay.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Say what you want about the german BB line, but the early ones make for some spectacular death rides when you decide to stop giving a gently caress. Diving right into a destroyer and multiple cruisers while an enemy Nassau is sitting right next to me? Why not? :black101:

Replay

Also featured: A carrier player getting angry because he failed at basic map reading and prediction. :ughh:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't know why I unlocked a carrier, this seems absolutely unbearable gameplay.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of RTSes, so I don't think it's my thing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Magni posted:

Say what you want about the german BB line, but the early ones make for some spectacular death rides when you decide to stop giving a gently caress. Diving right into a destroyer and multiple cruisers while an enemy Nassau is sitting right next to me? Why not? :black101:

Replay

Also featured: A carrier player getting angry because he failed at basic map reading and prediction. :ughh:

LOOK AT YOUR REPLAY

LOOK AT IT!

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I just unlocked the Omaha. What's better about it compared to the Phoenix? Also, any reason to hold onto the Phoenix? I was going to retrain my crew.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
With the update to the MM the main difference to the Phoenix is that you have the pleasure to be free xp for tier VII ships :v:

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Junkozeyne posted:

With the update to the MM the main difference to the Phoenix is that you have the pleasure to be free xp for tier VII ships :v:

I picked the perfect time to blow through it, then. I haven't seen anything higher than a tier 5 all weekend, and I've been top tier more often than not. Thanks German battleships!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Junkozeyne posted:

The Omaha is seriously the perfect ship to dunk on. The citadel is made to be penetrated. Any decent salvo on the broadside will blow it to kingdom gently caress.

You have to be bobbing and weaving like crazy and never, ever, ever show broadside or you will be destroyed.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm kind of thinking cruisers at tier five are in a real bad place right now. They just seem so fragile.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Astroclassicist posted:

Not as cool as enlisted Great Dane, Just Nuisance RN

Just Nuisance wins by virtue of having actually existed.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Y'all are filling me with confidence. I guess I have the Cleveland to look forward to at least.

I thought the Phoenix was pretty decent. My opinion may be skewed by all the retards in battleships at the moment, though.

On the other hand, I would much rather have better guns than any sort of torpedoes on the American cruisers. They're pretty worthless 90% of the time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If you stay at range you can be infuriating to hit and just continually rain shells on battleships. It's not bad, but be scared of those big shells.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Flamu posts up another video and there is a combination of fun to be had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L70ESqICKBo

First up, a little 1.5 minute talk about his turtleback armor chat from earlier. I guess there was some slight doubters, so he used a montana to prove again what he meant. He did this buy one shotting a montana up close getting 7 citadel strikes in a volley. Same went for the yamato. And then the kurfurst had no citadel damage taken and only like something like 1/3rd of its health.

After that, he moves to talk about the bayern. I didn't watch that far yet as I knew there was some people had their ears perk up when I pasted his last video showing that the turtleback armor was modeled in game after all.

He also posted a stream highlight of him dunking on pubbie retards driving their german BBs while in a warsprite. However, I'm not going to bother linking it as it is only a couple of clicks away from the previous video.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

M.C. McMic posted:

I just unlocked the Omaha. What's better about it compared to the Phoenix? Also, any reason to hold onto the Phoenix? I was going to retrain my crew.

Its got more guns, and an AA floatplane. The last hull option sacrifices a couple of guns for more AA and also gives you longer gun range. Its also the first ship to get hydro in the US cruiser line? i could be mistaken.

Try and not be the first one to be spotted or engage 1 on 1 with any other cruiser or battleship, and be around other ships. If you get focused weave around and run away, you can still bring to bear a decent amount of fire power while running away too.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Just be wary of battleships and you'll be fine. Compared to every single non-battleship at your tier, your armor is great and there's nothing you can't penetrate. Play it MOSTLY like you played the Phoenix, but now you get a better forward gun layout (so you can fight head-on better, the days of broadside firing are over at Tier 5).

Also keep in mind, and this is hard to learn--DO NOT BE THE FIRST SHIP INTO A FIGHT. The first ship into a fight will be the ship that takes the massive hiding from all the enemies who just spotted it and are eager to kill something, particularly all those long-range BBs you don't want shooting you.

In other news, advice to all prospective Kaiser captains: favor your starboard side. The wing turrets CAN fire in either direction thanks to how they're set up, but shooting to port will generally be harder than starboard since the starboard-side turret is the forward-mounted one and has to do a massive rotation to get sights on portside targets. So try and keep your enemies to your right.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 21, 2016

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

My favorite CV captains are the ones who know what manual torp drops are, but haven't figured out how to use them, so they keep hitting me before they can arm.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

In other news, advice to all prospective Kaiser captains: favor your starboard side. The wing turrets CAN fire in either direction thanks to how they're set up, but shooting to port will generally be harder than starboard since the starboard-side turret is the forward-mounted one and has to do a massive rotation to get sights on portside targets. So try and keep your enemies to your right.

I'm pretty sure that the proper way to play the Nassau and Kaiser is to have enemies on ALL sides.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

xthetenth posted:

I'm kind of thinking cruisers at tier five are in a real bad place right now. They just seem so fragile.

Carriers are the ones that really got hosed. More up-tier matches = more higher-tier AA = more matches where you roll around on the ground screaming at an uncaring god.

I was going to keep my Ryujo for carrier-related missions, but now I think I'm going to sell it and use the Hiryuu for that purpose instead. It gets 2+/2- matchmaking, and while it will see tier 9 AA, at least it avoids the tier 10 slaughterhouse. It also has a much bigger hanger.

On the other hand, it only has tier 6 torpedo bombers, what the gently caress? And why don't air-dropped torpedoes increase in damage at all from tier 4 to tier 10?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Why yes, it's possible to citadel a Scharnhorst while driving a Konig. Just drop some of those fat 305mm AP rounds on top of his turrets from long range. :smug:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Redeye Flight posted:

Also keep in mind, and this is hard to learn--DO NOT BE THE FIRST SHIP INTO A FIGHT. The first ship into a fight will be the ship that takes the massive hiding from all the enemies who just spotted it and are eager to kill something, particularly all those long-range BBs you don't want shooting you.
Alternatively, if you are the focus, try to be really, really lucky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLJ-ZddpJAg
:shepface:

dublish posted:

My favorite CV captains are the ones who know what manual torp drops are, but haven't figured out how to use them, so they keep hitting me before they can arm.
I've been playing CVs off and on since CBT and I still sometimes do this like an idiot

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Carriers are the ones that really got hosed. More up-tier matches = more higher-tier AA = more matches where you roll around on the ground screaming at an uncaring god.

I was going to keep my Ryujo for carrier-related missions, but now I think I'm going to sell it and use the Hiryuu for that purpose instead. It gets 2+/2- matchmaking, and while it will see tier 9 AA, at least it avoids the tier 10 slaughterhouse. It also has a much bigger hanger.

On the other hand, it only has tier 6 torpedo bombers, what the gently caress? And why don't air-dropped torpedoes increase in damage at all from tier 4 to tier 10?

I seriously would like to know who at WG was stupid enough to think changing the IJN line to get stuck with Kates from T5 all the way through T8 stock was an acceptable idea. Realistically, the drat things aren't even tier 6 torpedo bombers statwise, more like T5.5. Hiryu and Shokaku used to have a decent option (at all and stock, respectively), but this change a few patches ago was idiotic. Hiryu captains can still use them if they're extremely careful, and accept there are certain ships you just plain cannot touch, but when you hit Shokaku you're basically forced to either free exp the torpedo bombers immediately, or just accept you don't have them until you scrounge up enough exp from your other planes to research them.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The pubbie RNG has gotten so bad lately. I think it's because pubbies don't know how to use battleships and destroyers a lot more than they don't know how to use cruisers.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Boy I setup some of my teammates real loving good this game. Also, don't mess with the new mex. I love this ship.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Armored Patrol has states for the Brit cruisers, and boy they seem underwhelming. But, it looks like their gimmick is their cruisers have smoke screens starting at tier 5. At least it looks like they will set everything on fire before being sunk.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

CitizenKain posted:

Armored Patrol has states for the Brit cruisers, and boy they seem underwhelming. But, it looks like their gimmick is their cruisers have smoke screens starting at tier 5. At least it looks like they will set everything on fire before being sunk.

I think you're severely underestimating how powerful smoke + rapid fire guns can be.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I think you're severely underestimating how powerful smoke + rapid fire guns can be.

Yeah that's going to be murderous.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Vengarr posted:

If you want to keep only one CV for carrier related missions then T5 is the way to go. The Bogue can give you an option to go heavy AS or Strike depending on what mission you want to do and the Zuiho has the best all-round loadout (I personally prefer Zuiho). Both can only see +1 tier compared to the Indy/Ryujo getting +2.

CitizenKain posted:

I've said it before, but with nearly 1m XP on my Atlanta this RN cruiser line sounds fantastic. I really don't think these ships will have the Atlanta shell arcs either, perhaps something more like the Des Moines.

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm onto the Konig but I didn't think about this until too late. The starboard turret also has a horrendous firing arc to port which is another reason to keep stuff on your right. The Kaiser started clicking for me in the last 2-3 battles but overall I'm glad to be over it and will never play another T3 or T4 BB again. The Konig after 1-2 battles seems a massive upgrade already.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Just watch out for HE spamming Bogatyr/St Louis in your Kaiser, the ship seems to be made of chipboard soaked in petrol. If they catch you looking the wrong way they will punish you, but the Nassau seems pretty impervious.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The really fast firing Brit cruisers start at T9. For the effect you only need to look at the Flint, if the Brit shell arc is good, then this is gonna be nasty.

quote:

Hydroacoustic Search and Repair Party will occupy one slot each, Radar Surveillance or Smoke Screen on the final slot (British Cruisers lack Defensive-AA fire and will have smoke screens instead)

Taken from Armored Patrol:

So you can combine Sonar and Smoke....nasty.

Although I don't really agree with making the whole smoke meta an even more integral part of the game. It was the worst aspect of the last ranked season.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
My favourite is that allegedly the premium T7 Belfast has hydro, radar and smoke all in separate slots.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Pretty much a T7 torp less Kutuzov for which they said they said it would be overpowered with a Radar.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Dunkerque for sale in NA. It doesn't look promising though.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Redeye Flight posted:

Just be wary of battleships and you'll be fine. Compared to every single non-battleship at your tier, your armor is great and there's nothing you can't penetrate. Play it MOSTLY like you played the Phoenix, but now you get a better forward gun layout (so you can fight head-on better, the days of broadside firing are over at Tier 5).

Cool, thanks.

Not being first into a fight is something I've learned well from WoT. The slow pace of WoW makes this so much easier. When playing tanks, I'll often zoom into a position I like and get obliterated. I look at the mini-map and I'm all alone.

In WoW, even in a fast ship, there's much more opportunity to look at the mini-map and think, "I'm going to get caught out on my own if I keep doing what I'm doing." I feel like it's also quite a bit easier to predict enemy movements before and after they're spotted. Like on the Solomon Islands map... you know all the DDs are going to be running back and forth on either side of the straight dumping torps... likewise for any choke-points on other maps. That's what I do to start a map in a DD anyway... might as well roll the dice and see if you catch a couple idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Dunkek trip report.

AA: poo poo
Mobility: almost identical to Shotgunhorst.
Gun dispersion: not too bad but don't snipe.
Penetration: feels slightly better than Shotgunhorst.
Gun angle: quite wide. You can run away and shoot back if you angle a bit.
Concealment: poo poo
Armor: average.
Fire resistance: poo poo gets set on fire non-stop.

Overall it's not a bad ship and I don't get why super testers gave negative reviews. Play it like battleship and cruiser hybrid and it'll work out fine.