Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

anime was right posted:

i still think doffy should have stringed luffy and he couldnt do anything with his body so law would heartswap him with bellamy since both him and luffy have similar powers. and luffy would spend like a chapter figuring out how to be luffy with spring powers and show bellamy a new trick and then when doffy got hit real hard luffy could get his body back.

This is a really loving cool idea thinking about it and now I am retroactively sad that Oda missed this opportunity. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Yeah the do flamingo fight had some annoying stuff in it. Honestly it feels like it wasn't entirely thought out before hand, which is fine that happens in these long rear end series, especially now where I feel every little thing that happens has a good amount of planning out into it

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Oxxidation posted:

The biggest issue with Dressrosa was the handful of ridiculously overpowered Fruits, in my mind. Doflamingo's got absurd with the Birdcage and the "true Paramecia" crap or whatever that was, the Heal Heal Fruit is broke as hell, and the Hobby Hobby Fruit reads like someone pulled a bunch of powers out of hat and threw them together - any one of Sugar's ancillary powers like the eternal youth or contract abilities would constitute a crazy versatile Fruit all on their own, so having them all together was just silly.
Good points. The birdcage was pretty inexcusable, and I can't really think of a way to make it tolerable. The bomb and melee in Alabasta served a similar purpose of adding tension and urgency to the Crocodile fights, but was a lot more tolerable even if Pell survived it point blank. And nobody had anything as broken as Sugar's fruit. Now that I think about it, Dressrosa could a clear case of One Piece stumbling into powerlevel hell. A lot of the missed beats and ideas from Dressrosa were things that managed to hit a lot closer to the mark during the overall Alabasta arc.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wasn't all the birdcage and pica chase stuff building up to 800. i'm sure that had something to do with it

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I'm pretty sure the reason Zoro couldn't cut the Birdcage was because there wasn't enough space for him to do the anime thing where he slashes an enemy as he runs past them. See exhibit A:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Of all of Dressrosa's faults I never really thought Sugar's fruit was one of them. The toys made the setting interesting and the memory shenanigans were implemented well, if not a fully coherent extension of the toy maker theme. The payoff with God Usopp was phenomenal.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

QuantaStarFire posted:

Yeah, it was really weird how Doffy could hold an entire island that was filled with strong dudes (including a Marine Admiral) captive with a string cage. It was also weird that it could block all communication in or out of the island. I was expecting someone at some point to figure out the weakness and shatter the whole thing, right before Luffy was ready for the final beatdown.

Being a Faraday Cage was negative 5 of the Bird Cage's problems.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
If the Toy Solider really needed to get Donflamingo out of the way, then he should have just gotten a message about Sugar's power to the World Government.

Think about it, her DF ability would be prized above all others. If they are so worried about pirates and revolutionaries inciting discord among the common people, then someone who has the power to literally remove the memory of a person existing would solve that easily. You wouldn't even need Impel Down, just have all the high ranking pirates turned into toys. Doffy would have to give her up (which we know he would never do as he is totally loyal to his crew), leading the Marines to have and come get her, leading into a Doffy/WG conflict.

It's not a perfect plan, but its better than sitting on your rear end for years waiting for someone like Luffy & Co to show up.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Feels like the Bird Cage was set up to be broken through, but then Oda forgot about doing anything with the idea. We first see it in use during Law's flashback where Doffy uses it to to keep anyone from escaping that island. It should have been torn open by Zoro and Fujitora to further show how ridiculously powerful those two are, and as a slight tension reliever during that whole build up.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If Oda really wanted to make the Bird Cage "invincible", he should have had it regenerate when cut.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that would make it a really easy thing to escape considering it's one layer of string

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm an anime watcher only but I'm just popping in here to ask if Zou is over yet in the manga? If it's not over have we at least had a big bad reveal or what's the status? It took me a long time to catch up so this having to wait feeling is kinda strange.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well yes, Zou's over and the plot's rolled right on to Big Mom stuff without skipping a beat but

I can't even fathom watching the anime, it must be torture

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well yes, Zou's over and the plot's rolled right on to Big Mom stuff without skipping a beat but

I can't even fathom watching the anime, it must be torture

I started around 690 and caught up by 740s so it wasn't really torture other than some arcs I didn't like.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I started around 690 and caught up by 740s so it wasn't really torture other than some arcs I didn't like.

The torture comes from how drawn out it is.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

man theres some zou stuff that i hope the anime spends its like, once-in-18-months budget on and animates really well

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So far it seems to me the Birdcage was a more interesting idea when it was part of Skypiea. I remember finding the Iron Test kind of clever, as it was both the most straightforward of the Priest tests and arguably the most fair. Ohm doesn't need to prime his location for a fight, he just has to stop people leaving the area so he can hit them with his extending sword, so he creates an inescapable net and goes wild on everyone inside using his mantra.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

oddium posted:

wasn't all the birdcage and pica chase stuff building up to 800. i'm sure that had something to do with it

i think bounce man was the chapter 800 reveal? it definitely felt like it was dragging due to a big reveal being in chapter 800

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Jose posted:

i think bounce man was the chapter 800 reveal? it definitely felt like it was dragging due to a big reveal being in chapter 800

No, Gear 4 was before that. The drag to chapter 800 was because Oda decided on the method of extending the thing to be having Luffy run out on Gear 4 the 1st time and then needing to recharge before the finishing blow.

Which is dumb because it makes Luffy look weaker than he should be and not at all ready to immediately embark on an anti-4 Emperors campaign in the very next arc.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Jose posted:

The chapter 800 reveal was Straw Hat Armada.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

No, Gear 4 was before that. The drag to chapter 800 was because Oda decided on the method of extending the thing to be having Luffy run out on Gear 4 the 1st time and then needing to recharge before the finishing blow.

Which is dumb because it makes Luffy look weaker than he should be and not at all ready to immediately embark on an anti-4 Emperors campaign in the very next arc.

He really isn't though, there's no way he's gonna beat Big Mom right now without a ton of help, if at all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bisse posted:

The chapter 800 reveal was Straw Hat Armada.

oh right. i just remember it feeling like it was dragging out to make 800 a special chapter

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jose posted:

oh right. i just remember it feeling like it was dragging out to make 800 a special chapter

You are correct, sir.

Last Celebration posted:

He really isn't though, there's no way he's gonna beat Big Mom right now without a ton of help, if at all.

Assuming that all four Emperors are going to meet, my guess is that the Germa 66 will be the main antagonists right here and now to complete Sanji's storyline, with an initial ruck against Big Mom to establish how much of a threat she is to Luffy. She'll then follow the Sunny back to Wano in a fit of rage to try and get Sanji back, Kaido will already be there and the two will start fighting each other, Blackbeard will burst in to steal the road poneglyph at an opportune moment and Shanks will arrive as a stabilising factor because he can see that poo poo's falling apart at a stupendous rate.

Or maybe Big Mom will get her face caved in, but that would be dull and it wouldn't do anything about her ocean-spanning empire, so something enormous has to happen to take her influence out of the picture entirely.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Silver2195 posted:

The torture comes from how drawn out it is.

You could say Oda really strung us along for a while. :v:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You could say Oda really strung us along for a while. :v:

It's hard to keep a huge story like this stitched together sometimes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Or maybe Big Mom will get her face caved in, but that would be dull and it wouldn't do anything about her ocean-spanning empire, so something enormous has to happen to take her influence out of the picture entirely.

Her ocean-spanning empire would crumble and be taken over by other warlords and Yonkou if she was defeated because her influence is predicated on her strength and ability to scare people, same as basically any other empire. You could mean that nothing would be done about helping those parts free themselves from her tyranny or that of her successor as ruler of a given part I guess, but Luffy and the Strawhats aren't actually worried about doing that and it's almost certainly not going to be tackled even if your first scenario comes to pass and all 4 Emperor's meet on Elbaf or something. The most we'd be likely to get would be Luffy declaring them his territory in some kind of grand gesture, which can happen regardless of which scenario happens.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 21, 2016

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

It's hard to keep a huge story like this stitched together sometimes.

I just can't believe after a 2 year arc against a man made of strings we never saw him face off against the man with sewing powers.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sub Harrison posted:

I just can't believe after a 2 year arc against a man made of strings we never saw him face off against the man with sewing powers.

Yeah, the whole Dressrosa arc felt full of wasted potential, from that to Luffy vs Doflamingo, and especially the whole birdcage aspect. I think the setup was fine, if overly long, but in execution it definitely tumbled and flip floped. As others said, there should have been more of a focus on Doflamingo's clever uses of power, combined with his raw strength, and it definitely seemed like Oda was setting up a "clash of kings" scenario between Luffy and Dolfy, but outside of their first standstill clash, and Dolfy's speach, nothing came out of it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Then maybe he wasn't setting that up at all

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I mean, Leo's powers really didn't have anything to do with Dofy's. Leo stiches objects together, aside from the fact that he makes string appear to do so, he's nothing like Dofy. His power set comes more from just being a dwarf and having speed and power. If you thought that was a red herring for him to have some sort of epic showdown with Doflamingo, I have to say I never shared that sentiment.

I will admit however that five minute recharge time on haki is probably the dumbest thing introduced to the series since, well, haki itself I guess.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
When did haki itself have a recharge time? I must have blanked out a lot of the Doflamingo battle because it's not ringing a bell at all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bounceman specifically had a recharge time since its haki + gear 3. the bird cage was insanely dumb since it seemed a reason why zoro wouldn'tjust show up and chump doflamingo and the obvious reason is he'd just get lost

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

tsob posted:

When did haki itself have a recharge time? I must have blanked out a lot of the Doflamingo battle because it's not ringing a bell at all.

It was stated the Luffy "ran out of Haki" after using gear 4, which is why he couldn't move for 10 minutes. I think if it was explained as a straining sort of thing, like he's been exerting too much on his muscles, so he can't use Haki until he's been given rest, that would gave been fine, instead of making it akin to Chakra or chi.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Julias posted:

It was stated the Luffy "ran out of Haki" after using gear 4, which is why he couldn't move for 10 minutes. I think if it was explained as a straining sort of thing, like he's been exerting too much on his muscles, so he can't use Haki until he's been given rest, that would gave been fine, instead of making it akin to Chakra or chi.

I'm giving Oda the benefit of the doubt that he did mean this, that Luffy exerted his body too much and needed rest before he could focus his haki again. Now if someone yeĺls out "I'm almost of of haki!" I'll have to accept Oda can make big blunders.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Dressrosa showed us the devastating effects of a pizza-based diet. It is a good arc for that alone.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I mean I'd love to believe we just got a weird translation. Luffy just being unable to move because he was so overexerted physically, which would make sense and is even set up beforehand at Enies Lobby and Marineford, and may just be a side effect of the Gomu fruit, makes perfect sense. The translation I read literally said, "I'm tired so I can't use haki for five minutes", which had my eyes rolling harder than Ace spinning in his grave when Landfill 2 was introduced.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

tsob posted:

ppl argued adamantly for a long time that haki was not functionally the same thing as ki but it actually turned out to be the same thing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Can't wait for one of Luffy's arms to snap off after he stretches too much too fast

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Julias posted:

I'm going to be a bit contrarian here and say that the concept of running out of Haki is a good thing. The alternative is that Haki is some kind of perpetual motion machine.

Also, it's supposed to be akin to chi.

Last Celebration posted:

IIRC, while Haki literally just means spirit/conviction/willpower, it's always been spelled a certain way in Japanese so it resembles the characters for Chi. And in that context, it's pretty reasonable to assume he was using it to refer to his inner Haki, since it's a force that exists inside all living creatures and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

I'm going to be a bit contrarian here and say that the concept of running out of Haki is a good thing. The alternative is that Haki is some kind of perpetual motion machine.

Also, it's supposed to be akin to chi.

It translates literally to "Willpower". I think the idea that someone can be short on willpower, especially after being stressed repeatedly (such as fighting), isn't that far-fetched.