Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

al-azad posted:

It's a multiplayer game where the soldiers at the original Mother Base are sucked through a portal during the attack and have to fight zombies. Considering Konami's handling of Metal Gear Online expect a janky rear end shooter that would make Umbrella Corps look like Overwatch. Let's start a betting pool, bet you $5 the way you acquire gear is by putting real money into a slot machine.

They're even treating it as canon from what I heard.

It sounds like there's some kind of alternate universe thing going on, so it sounds like it'd be canon in the same way the new Star Trek movies are?

Not gonna take you up on that bet, by the way. I'm shocked that they didn't show off the pachinko integration in the trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's frustrating is that MGS5 has a really strong core design. It is the best feeling stealth/action third person game I've played. If they ever do another Splinter Cell the bar is super high.

But MGS5's failing came with its long term content and after Kojima washed his hands Konami made it actively worse. Over time they shifted more and more of the base game to the online portion, something you originally could've opted out of but basically can't now because resource generation was cut in half and 3/4 of your resources now are kept online like a bank. I don't trust them one bit, don't give Konami money.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

To quote one "thatkindoffangirl" -

quote:

Title: MGSV Survival
Fandom: Metal Gear
Author: Konami
Tags: Alternate Universe, Alternate Universe – Zombie Apocalypse, major GZ ending spoilers, OCs
Summary: During XOF’s attack on motherbase, some MSF soldiers are transported to a different universe. With Metal Gears. And zombies.
(A/N: Please be kind!! This is my first attempt at writing a MGS story all alone!! Don’t like, don’t read.)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody have some strong recommendations for good Twine/IF/Text adventure horror games? I'm looking for really good horror games that are heavily narrative- or text-driven. I've played My Father's Long Long Legs and The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo, both were really good, and I have Layers of Fear, which I'm to understand at least tells a lot of its story through in-game documents. Anything else I really need to try?

If you like horror in the vein of Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos you should give Anchorhead a shot. Even if you're not into Lovecraft's loaded, fat mouthed prose and outward racism (a lot of people aren't), that's okay. It has none of that. It's more or less been the #1 IF horror recommendation for the better part of two decades. It does atmosphere, tension, and horrifying imagery better than you would hope any IF could. The puzzles are challenging but logical and well paced also.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
"My uncle works in nintendo" is a good spooky twine game.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

To quote one "thatkindoffangirl" -

Should've thrown in the "original story do not steal" caveat. Could have been knee deep in that pachinko blood money about now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

catlord posted:

It sounds like there's some kind of alternate universe thing going on, so it sounds like it'd be canon in the same way the new Star Trek movies are?

Not gonna take you up on that bet, by the way. I'm shocked that they didn't show off the pachinko integration in the trailers.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what it is. Mother Base soldiers literally get sucked into a portal in the sky that drops them into an alternate dimension, and they have to fight these weird zombies and get to the wreckage of Mother Base that came with them to find a way back to their world.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The only way I can see it smartly (lol) tied in is if the soldiers returning to the "real world" are the creepy monstrous ones you have to rescue occasionally.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The zombie like enemies were already some of the worst parts of MGS4&5, and the horror parts of 5 were pretty awful. But maybe getting rid of Kojima will clean up some stuff. Does anyone know how much of the actual workers from the mgs team are still at Konami?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

al-azad posted:

The only way I can see it smartly (lol) tied in is if the soldiers returning to the "real world" are the creepy monstrous ones you have to rescue occasionally.

Yeah, the oily dudes. The first one of those I encountered freaked me out a bit. I didn't know what the gently caress was going on.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Looking forward to the "droppin a fat, slimy turd" monster in Year of the Ladybug.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Year of the ladybug is two guys with cool spooky ideas and a good artist right ?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Something like that. It's just a concept, I think they're shopping it around to producer-type people soon?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

"My uncle works in nintendo" is a good spooky twine game.

Played it on my lunch break and I'll vouch for it. It's really good at slow buildup.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hel posted:

The zombie like enemies were already some of the worst parts of MGS4&5, and the horror parts of 5 were pretty awful. But maybe getting rid of Kojima will clean up some stuff. Does anyone know how much of the actual workers from the mgs team are still at Konami?

IIRC basical no one even vaguely important in KojiPro is left at Konami. And considering Konamis recent track record with non-pachinko spinoffs of existing series, I somehow doubt that that a zombie themed MGS spinoff will be any good.

Regardless of your opinion of Kojima he has a much better track record than modern Konami does.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 19, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

IIRC basical no one even vaguely important in KojiPro is left at Konami. And considering Konamis recent track record with non-pachinko spinoffs of existing series, I somehow doubt that that a zombie themed MGS spinoff will be any good.

Regardless of your opinion of Kojima he has a much better track record than modern Konami does.

Anyone who didn't jump ship is probably still at Konami, just relegated to manufacturing pachinko machines.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Or janitors at their health clubs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Wasn't some big-ish dev at Konami "promoted" to head of secuirty after the breakup of their games division?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You'd probably have a better horror game just making a Konami employee simulator.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm DEEPLY hurt by the loss of PT. And also the general lack of information on Death Stranding besides one of the best Pre-Rendered teasers I've seen so far. I'm saying that when poo poo like this exists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnuFKlVaSYI. Has there been even a hint of what genre it may be? Cause honestly it looks kinda like a survival game mixed with a game made by Team Ico

On the Last Light note I'm deeply enjoying Last Light. It starts really nicely and doesn't really mess around. Then again I played it first on PS3 so my previous experiences with it don't really count.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 19, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

You'd probably have a better horror game just making a Konami employee simulator.

It would basically be Stanley Parable but 1984 and in a sterilized Japanese business environment. Instead of a sardonic narrator it's a tinny voice over an intercom telling you to pee faster.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

It would basically be Stanley Parable but 1984 and in a sterilized Japanese business environment. Instead of a sardonic narrator it's a tinny voice over an intercom telling you to pee faster.

I'd Play

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

al-azad posted:

That would actually be a pretty good game if done right, like Cart Life just for the corporate world.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
How is the game Soma?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Annoying enemies, cool atmosphere and great existential horror. Regular type of horror may depend on how used to horror games you are, but I was spooked enough.

its a good game overall. Avoiding the enemies is the one part most people don't like but even that was passable in my opinion.

smuh fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 21, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's going to be in the next month's Humble Monthly for $11 along with whatever additional nonsense they add in, so that's not a bad deal.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

smuh posted:

Annoying enemies, cool atmosphere and great existential horror. Regular type of horror may depend on how used to horror games you are, but I was spooked enough.

its a good game overall. Avoiding the enemies is the one part most people don't like but even that was passable in my opinion.

I just refunded Outlast because that just felt bleh. Looking for good atmosphere and a constant feeling of uneasiness to straight up spooked.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

NeoSeeker posted:

I just refunded Outlast because that just felt bleh. Looking for good atmosphere and a constant feeling of uneasiness to straight up spooked.

SOMA is more Amnesia than Outlast in that its focus is on the setting and story more than just avoiding the enemies. The monsters are an unfortunate side effect to needing actual danger in the story, but all of them except one are fairly easy to navigate around.

There is one near the end which is more or less just getting lucky to get through, but that is just one scene

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I remember at some point there was talk that one of the HD remasters of a classic horror game was really bad for some reason, but I can't remember either the game or the reason. Was there some major issue with the Silent Hill HD remaster collection? My wife wants to play through them, and getting that would at least make it less of a pain, given that I don't think I have a functional PS2 anymore.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MockingQuantum posted:

I remember at some point there was talk that one of the HD remasters of a classic horror game was really bad for some reason, but I can't remember either the game or the reason. Was there some major issue with the Silent Hill HD remaster collection? My wife wants to play through them, and getting that would at least make it less of a pain, given that I don't think I have a functional PS2 anymore.
Yeah, the Silent Hill HD collection is garbage and should be completely avoided. The PC versions of 2 and 3 are the best versions but 2 is really expensive.

Do you have an OG XBox? Because I always heard SH2: Restless Dreams was a solid port.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 21, 2016

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I mean, I'd straight up suggest an emulator for the ps2 silent hills.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah the Silent Hill HD collection got a lot of bad reputation for messing up certaing spooky effects by "improving" graphics, as in you saw too far and too clearly which ruined the creepiness and made things look stupid or some such, I don't really remember clearly. They also had new voice acting since the old stuff was ridiculed quite a bit back in the day, but ever since the opinion had changed to that the odd and stilted voice acting added to the creepiness value and the new VA was badly recieved. At least I believe you could change it back to original for Sh2 but sadly not for SH3, which really sucked for me as I actually liked the old one a lot more. At least that's how I remember it.

Anyways, it should be a fine-ish way to experience those games if you have no other options. They're still great games despite the mistakes of the HD versions.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I mean, I'd straight up suggest an emulator for the ps2 silent hills.
That too.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I only recommend the HD Collection to people who:
1) Do not have access to the original consoles + their games
2) Don't wanna spend money to buy those consoles/versions of the games
3) Aren't technically competent enough to get emulated versions running
4) Aren't technically competent enough to get the PC ports of SH2 and SH3 running (they're a little bit of a mess, too)

Only get 'the HD Collection as a last resort, or cause you're cheap and want 2 games for $30~. I didn't run into any super obvious bugs on the PS3 version, personally. And I prefer people to play SH games as opposed to not playing them at all just because other people said "DO NOT GET THE HD VERSION UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES." The HDC is not ideal, it's got problems, but the problems probably aren't as obvious to a first-time player as they are to super nerds like me.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

VoidBurger posted:

4) Aren't technically competent enough to get the PC ports of SH2 and SH3 running (they're a little bit of a mess, too)

Only get 'the HD Collection as a last resort, or cause you're cheap and want 2 games for $30~. I didn't run into any super obvious bugs on the PS3 version, personally. And I prefer people to play SH games as opposed to not playing them at all just because other people said "DO NOT GET THE HD VERSION UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES." The HDC is not ideal, it's got problems, but the problems probably aren't as obvious to a first-time player as they are to super nerds like me.

Well I'd be playing them with her for the most part so I'd go crazy if there's that big of graphical changes. Thankfully I'm at least not one of those four people, so I'll figure out a solution.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Also, the PS3 version of the HD Collection was patched to remove a bunch of bugs, but the 360 version wasn't.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VoidBurger posted:

All that true stuff aside, Laura Bailey's rendition of Angela is really drat good and worth looking up if nothing else.

She's probably the only one of the new VA's who unambiguously beats the old version.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

It still has that incredibly bland look to it and I'm pretty sure SH3 in that collection even on ps3 still has some really bad bugs.

It's Konami, what do you expect.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

It still has that incredibly bland look to it and I'm pretty sure SH3 in that collection even on ps3 still has some really bad bugs.

It's Konami, what do you expect.

I played through the HD collection a couple of years ago because I had never played them (PS3) and really only remember running into issues with SH3, stuff like cut scene audio not syncing with the animation mostly if I'm remembering correctly. Otherwise they played fine and I didn't notice any major issues with the fog effects in 2.

I am planning on picking up the originals and either a backwards compatible PS3 or an old PS2 to play through them again for my LP series because I do want to experience them in their original form.

Not looking forward to that Mall/Subway segment in 3 though, God drat what tedious segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'd go all the way and go PS2. Backwards compatibility with the ps3 wasn't even that functional. So I wouldn't say it's even reliable if it's on the list. You could run into problems.

It's kinda sad to see some of our favorite games fade into obscurity because only a dwindling portion of people can play it because they have a working copy AND a functional machine to play it on.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 22, 2016