Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Epic High Five posted:

Well Cajun has enormous French influences but the other two are pretty goddamned American.

We oughta bust up into Italy and force them to rename everything that uses tomatoes to have the word FREEDOM in the name

Cajun might have French influences but it's still an American style of food.

If we really want to stretch it, Hawaiian food and Tex-Mex can be added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

American cheese is just the natural result of the ridiculously industrialized food culture we have. It may be not that great, but it's cheap and ridiculously consistent in how it will melt and behave in a food product

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

disjoe posted:

I'm so American I don't even know or care what 70 degrees Celsius would be equivalent to.

e: looked it up, who's to say I don't keep my house at 158.

Well seeing as I cook steak in water colder than that :v:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So uh regarding peacetime American innovation, I just wanna point out that the powered, heavier than air flying machine was first successfully demonstrated by two bike mechanics who got bored and hosed around with aerodynamics, not a billion dollar military industrial complex.

But no, America only exists for war and nothing else.
I'm almost positive brothers Wright did not create their craft to be a springboard for fighter jets and bombers and poo poo, so while we also succeeded at that, the primary invention was done by civilians for nonmilitary purposes

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 22, 2016

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I wouldn't want to live in a world without toasted ravioli. But European food is good too.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Europeans do dessert better than us

Unless somebody wants to tell me that tiramisu is American, in which case I will love you

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Epic High Five posted:

Unless somebody wants to tell me that tiramisu is American, in which case I will love you

Fried Ice Cream was invented by an American Mexican chain restaurant, and then adopted by actual Mexican restaurants.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LunarShadow posted:

This is objectively wrong as long as Alabama style BBQ sauce exists. And I say this as a native Alabamian.

Oh come on, that's just a joke that some people have taken so far that many can no longer tell it is a joke anymore and profess to actually like it.

It is the /pol/ of BBQ sauces.

Edit: America still owes a culinary debt to the rest or the world for making ranch dressing.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Epic High Five posted:

Afraid not. But still...

Key lime pie?
Bananas foster?
Fruit cobbler?

Hell, we invented the chocolate chip cookie, the brownie and the ice cream sundae.

I mean, yes, we don't do fancy desserts you'll find in a fancy restaurant, but if you're going old-timey home-made? We can't be beat.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

computer parts posted:

Fried Ice Cream was invented by an American Mexican chain restaurant, and then adopted by actual Mexican restaurants.

was it chichis

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh come on, that's just a joke that some people have taken so far that many can no longer tell it is a joke anymore and profess to actually like it.

It is the /pol/ of BBQ sauces.

Edit: America still owes a culinary debt to the rest or the world for making ranch dressing.

What? I assure you it isn't a joke, it exists and is disgusting.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Afraid not. But still...

Key lime pie?
Bananas foster?
Fruit cobbler?

Hell, we invented the chocolate chip cookie, the brownie and the ice cream sundae.

I mean, yes, we don't do fancy desserts you'll find in a fancy restaurant, but if you're going old-timey home-made? We can't be beat.

Chocolate chip cookies.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Sorry, those are actually Mexican. They were first made for Americans though, so maybe they still count.

EDIT: Chili con carne though...

Welp. What was I thinking of then? Was it Caesar salad dressing?

I do like this bit from that website you linked.

quote:

1967 - The most famous and well known chili cook-off took place in 1967 in Terlingua, Texas. Terlingua was once a thriving mercury-mining town of 5,000 people and it is the most remote site your can choose as it is not close to any major city and the nearest commercial airport is almost 279 miles away. Just getting to Terlingua requires a major effort. It was a two-man cook-off between Texas chili champ Homer "Wick" Fowler (1909-1972), a Dallas and Denton newspaper reporter, and H. Allen Smith (1906-1976), New York humorist and author, which ended in a tie.

The cook-off challenge started when H. Allen Smith wrote a story for the August 1967 Holiday Magazine titled Nobody Knows More About Chili Than I Do, which claimed that no one in Texas could make proper chili. Smith contended that ". . . no living man, I repeat, can put together a pot of chili as ambrosial, as delicately and zestfully flavorful, as the chili I make." His article included his recipe for chili that included beans.

Of course, this offended many Texans who would never consider adding beans to their chili. When Frank Tolbert (1912-1984), famous journalist and author of A Bowl of Red, saw Smith's article, he started open warfare in the press with a column he wrote for the Dallas News. A reader suggested that Fowler answer the challenge, which he did. The cook-off competition ended in a tie vote when the tie-breaker judge, Dave Witts, a Dallas lawyer and self-proclaimed mayor of Terlingua, spat out his chili, declaring that his taste buds were "ruint," and said they would have to do the whole thing over again next year.

According to Gary Cartwright, writer for Sports Illustrated, the blindfolded judge number three, David Witts, was given a spoonful of chili which he promptly spit out all over the referee's foot. "Then he went into convulsions. He rammed a white handerkerchief down his throat as though he were cleaning a rifle barrel, and in an agonizing whisper Witts pronounced himself unable to go on."

But then, everyone knows that proper chili don't got beans.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mel Mudkiper posted:

was it chichis

Yes.

Sort of.

It was popularized by them, but actually invented either by Americans in the 1890s or Japanese tempura restaurants in the 1960s.

EDIT:

citybeatnik posted:

Chocolate chip cookies.

But I already said that. :confused:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

theflyingorc posted:

....it's a fried potato bit, this is entirely psychosomatic

Maybe so, but I detest them intensely.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

Even if you think patriotism is dumb ceding it strategically to the other party is even dumber. There's no reason dems shouldn't be wrapping themselves in flags and flag pins and whatever the gently caress. I was so glad to see all that at the dem convention. There's room to do that without going full Freedom Fries.

Like what is the possible gain by avoiding being too enthusiastic about the country a party is spending billion+ dollars and untold effort to try to run?

If past national crimes prevent leftists from cheering for their country they might as well stop running and let the right do whatever they want. That poo poo is never going to bother conservatives and they'll go right on committing terrible poo poo but those lefties who avoided waving a flag can stay at home content they were totally right about everything.

gently caress if Republicans had killed Bin Laden they would never ever shut up about it. Considering Bill and Obama still dropped a lot of ordinance on people they should probably have done a little more macho posturing. It's not like avoiding it helps any of that collateral damage not exist.

Especially when the half that is traditionally associated with patriotism:
  • Doesn't want to pay the taxes needed to run the Nation they claim to love.
  • Hates all the major population centers of the Nation they claim to love.
  • Categorically hates 40% of the people in the Nation they claim to love.
  • Claims any random jackass running a corporation is more trustworthy and competent than the government of the Nation they claim to love.

Love of country right there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mister Adequate posted:

Maybe so, but I detest them intensely.

how much do you fry it

squishy soft tots are grody as gently caress

crunchy tots are divine

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
My two cents to BBQ chat, it was invented by Caribbean natives. Racist southerns should have more respect for the people that created their beloved staples.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But I already said that. :confused:

I glazed over your post. My fault.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Aren't you guys mixing up patriotism with nationalism?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Aren't you guys mixing up patriotism with nationalism?

its a really murky line

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Never imagined SC to be at the forefront.

http://www.live5news.com/story/32804080/police-body-cam-funds-go-to-all-including-oyster-officers

quote:

COLUMBIA, SC (AP) -
South Carolina's funding for police body cameras is being distributed to every agency that applied -- including one that monitors oyster health and scrutinizes pharmacists.

After a bystander's video last year showed a white North Charleston police officer killing a fleeing, unarmed black man, widespread outrage spurred state lawmakers to vote in favor of police body cameras.

They also came up with $5.8 million to pay for cameras and data storage.

A list provided to The Associated Press shows that while many small agencies got every dollar they applied for, the state Department of Public Safety is getting less than one-sixth of its request

State economic advisers had estimated equipping all of South Carolina's officers would cost $21.5 million.

Legislators called the $5.8 million a start.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I saw this as I'm catching up on the thread, holy poo poo.

I pay 275$* for my room albeit I share the building with six other roommates.

*I got tricked into becoming the principle tenant when the previous one hadn't been paying the utilities and had 1200$ outstanding. I got that cleared without having to pay a cent and managed to cram another renter into a spare room we had and now I effectively pay 0$ but that's a lucky gamble paying off. And it sucks having to hassle people like a mafioso each month for rent and paying out of your own pocket if someone is late.

Previous apartments I considered expensive when I had to pay between 500 to 520$, how do you afford 1000$+ if you only make 11-12$ an hour?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

People who wear bow ties outside of a tuxedo are mentally disturbed.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Especially when the half that is traditionally associated with patriotism:
  • Doesn't want to pay the taxes needed to run the Nation they claim to love.
  • Hates all the major population centers of the Nation they claim to love.
  • Categorically hates 40% of the people in the Nation they claim to love.
  • Claims any random jackass running a corporation is more trustworthy and competent than the government of the Nation they claim to love.

Love of country right there.

Also includes those that love to wave around the traitor flag.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I saw this as I'm catching up on the thread, holy poo poo.

I pay 275$* for my room albeit I share the building with six other roommates.

*I got tricked into becoming the principle tenant when the previous one hadn't been paying the utilities and had 1200$ outstanding. I got that cleared without having to pay a cent and managed to cram another renter into a spare room we had and now I effectively pay 0$ but that's a lucky gamble paying off. And it sucks having to hassle people like a mafioso each month for rent and paying out of your own pocket if someone is late.

Previous apartments I considered expensive when I had to pay between 500 to 520$, how do you afford 1000$+ if you only make 11-12$ an hour?
In what neighborhood tho?

e: Also how is Columbia Heights more expensive than Adams Morgan? That doesn't make sense

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

USPOL August: Redefining the concept of Tater Tots

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Bugman why are you avoiding American Football

Football is a game of chess where the pieces are intelligent and slam into each other repeatedly. If that doesn't sound great I don't know what to tell someone.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Gumbo is the most American food. It is a fusion of European, African and Native (Choctaw) cuisine, and it is loving delicious.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Epic High Five posted:

This woman has brain damage is is barely functional and she is loving annihilating us

Says who?

Says who?

Says who?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I strongly believe this is the year the Patriots regress to the mean. Their offensive line is injured, their WR depth is crap and they have a weak secondary. I don't think they're going to be 0-16 or even 6-10, but I see 8-8 a lot more likely than 12-4. They also play the AFC:N and the NFC:W.

Wait, what? Oh sorry I saw the BBQ/Chili chat and assumed I was in TFF.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

caleramaen posted:

Football is a game of chess where the pieces are intelligent* and slam into each other repeatedly. If that doesn't sound great I don't know what to tell someone.

*- does not include Ben Roethlisberger or Rob Gronkowski

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah American Football is extremely problematic

The problem is the season is only 5 months :colbert:

At one point in the 80s there was Spring football. Then some real estate tycoon hosed it up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Man I kinda wanna learn to make tater tots now

But I've never deep fried anything or really cooked anything with raw potatoes so it's sure to be a disaster :(

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

At one point in the 80s there was Spring football. Then some real estate tycoon hosed it up.

Thank god he was never heard from again or given any kind of political power

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

But I've never deep fried anything or really cooked anything with raw potatoes so it's sure to be a disaster :(

Deep frying is pretty easy. The hardest part is that your timing window is pretty specific.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CannonFodder posted:

Still wondering when Hillary is gonna start rolling those ads out

Gonna be real disappointed if she doesn't

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Rassle posted:

USPOL August: Redefining the concept of Tater Tots

More like traitor tots

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

In what neighborhood tho?

e: Also how is Columbia Heights more expensive than Adams Morgan? That doesn't make sense

Wild guess but could have something to do with the fact that columbia heights was more recently the next up-and-comer so there's a ton of overpriced new construction that's skewing the 1br numbers because the older buildings tend to be more 2+ brs, and to pay off those investments property owners haven't updated rents to reflect the fact that columbia heights' gentrification isn't quite panning out yet

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Necc0 posted:

More like traitor tots

USPOL August: Freedom Fries and Traitor Tots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

LMAO I was searching for a thread about the action film White House Down and came across this post:

Homework Explainer posted:

white house down rules and is a good palate cleanser after the onslaught of anti-dprk propaganda nonsense like red dawn, olympus has fallen, the interview, etc. as if they would ever invade or actually attack the us

• Locked thread