Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still trying to catch up on the monthly range, the 4th Doctor Adventures, the 8th Doctor standalones AND all the currently running specials they've got going like UNIT, River Song, War Doctor, New Monsters etc - I'm not even gonna look at stuff like Companion Chronicles, Third Doctor sets etc until I get caught up.

So much Doctor Who.... :swoon:

Yeah, I feel bad that I've neglected the Main Range so heavily in favor of all the "special release" stuff they've been doing...but I backfilled a whole lot of the really early (read: cheap) Main Range stories earlier this month, and I'm kinda looking forward to visiting Big Finish circa The Year Two Thousand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I've got 2 x 8 hour road trips coming up soon, so I'll be burning through a lot of Big Finish. I should get around to seasons 2-4 of the Lucie Miller era, but I also want the new stuff!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I feel bad that I've neglected the Main Range so heavily in favor of all the "special release" stuff they've been doing...but I backfilled a whole lot of the really early (read: cheap) Main Range stories earlier this month, and I'm kinda looking forward to visiting Big Finish circa The Year Two Thousand.

I have UNIT...then Real Time and the Excelis trilogy lined up! Then probably the 2nd Fourth Doctor series...

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That reminds me, I've listened to some Big Finish stuff, recently:

The Natural History of Fear
Very predictably dystopian. The shifting roles make it interesting, but the final reveal is just goofy. Still, I liked the more experimental nature of it all. 3/5

The Faith Stealer
The multihaven seems like it should be an amazing setting, but it’s mostly used to make some half-hearted attempts at Monty Python-style humour. The villain is never really established very well, either. This feels like a standard Doctor Who episode, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I was just hoping for something fresher. 2/5

The Last
With the farcical remnants of the state hiding in a bunker below their destroyed world, an army of ghosts roaming the surface and Charley paralysed, it’s hard to imagine how the Doctor is going to save the day. C’rizz finally gets some much needed character development. The resolution feels fairly rushed, though. When it is finally revealed what the importance of the Last is, the whole thing is almost over. The actors also seemed a bit too nonchalant about their fates. 4/5

The Next Life
What a mess. A large chunk of time is wasted on Rassilon messing with Charley’s and C’rizz’ minds. Meanwhile, the Doctor is cleverly lured towards a place that he was trying to get to, anyway. Maybe this time should have instead been spent on properly establishing the three villains. When they finally reveal themselves, they barely feel like a threat. The finale consists of a bunch of plot twists that have to be explained because none of them were set up properly. Still better than Zagreus. 2/5

Overall, this was pretty rough. The writing is hokey, and it often ruins the interesting premises.

Time Works
This feels more like a modern Who episode than all the other audio plays, from the corny metaphors and alliterations to the triumphant revolution at the end. The narrative framing takes away a lot of the tension, though. After all the gloomy divergent universe stuff, it’s really refreshing, even if it’s not very deep. 4/5

I've also started reading Rob Shearman's Tiny Deaths. It's been really mad and inventive so far. Particularly the first short story about everyone on earth finding out how they'll die and the one in which a man goes to hell and bonds with Hitler's dog. It kind of lost me at the one about a mother dying separately for each person she knows. Not sure when I'll read the rest of it. :shrug:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still trying to catch up on the monthly range, the 4th Doctor Adventures, the 8th Doctor standalones AND all the currently running specials they've got going like UNIT, River Song, War Doctor, New Monsters etc - I'm not even gonna look at stuff like Companion Chronicles, Third Doctor sets etc until I get caught up.

So much Doctor Who.... :swoon:

It's really kind of amazing just how much stuff there is.
The run time for the entire monthly range - more or less - is something like 430 hours - 18 solid days listening, non-stop. Just the monthly range.

I've only just got round to listening to River Song. Still got to get around to the sizeable chunk of Jago and Litefoot (it's far too enjoyable for its own good :negative:).

And More posted:

That reminds me, I've listened to some Big Finish stuff, recently:

Divergent Arc
Aside from maybe revisting, Scherzo, I keep deliberately skipping over the Divergent Arc stuff. Ironically, I lose all concept of time listening to it; it's simultaneously far too short to properly develop its concepts, but each individual episode drags itself out impossibly long.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

I just dropped $50 on Big Finish, so expect a massive sale or something to start tomorrow!

Has nobody in the thread listened to the Third Doctor Adventures set? Couldn't find any reviews or impressions. I've gone on a rather large early-doctor binge and have been listening to everything 1 and 2 lately, figured it was time to try 3!

I was dubious about it, but I ended up really enjoying it. Tim Treloar's not too bad as Pertwee, and there's a few moments where he really nails him. The Havoc of Empires is the superior of the two in the box. Definitely picking up Vol 2 in Nov, and Vol 3 in July.

The Lost Story, The Mega, however, is too long for its own good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God the Divergent Arc, so much promise (and Scherzo delivered!) and then..... what we got. :negative:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

I have UNIT...then Real Time and the Excelis trilogy lined up! Then probably the 2nd Fourth Doctor series...

Excelis is going to feel rough after hearing so much later stuff. It's pretty much EarlyBigFinish.mp3.

Speaking of the Divergent Arc, you know what goes on concurrent to that*? Gallifrey! You should listen to Gallifrey. I may have thrown the entire series back onto my iPod since I'm coming up on Season 4 after the next round of Jago & Lightfoot. :dance:

* In as such as a concept like "concurrent" makes sense for something with with that much time travel.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

echoplex posted:

Only S12, which isn't the series coming out next month, but the one some time in 2017. Fun job, but the best bit was fun as saying hi to Carrie Fisher walking her dog or just bumping into spaceships in storage. Holy balls I wanna work on a Star Wars.

Wait, there's new Red Dwarf coming out this year AND next year?! :dance:

jivjov posted:

I just dropped $50 on Big Finish, so expect a massive sale or something to start tomorrow!

Has nobody in the thread listened to the Third Doctor Adventures set? Couldn't find any reviews or impressions. I've gone on a rather large early-doctor binge and have been listening to everything 1 and 2 lately, figured it was time to try 3!

Yeah, that's probably my next purchase, once I finish The Prisoner.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Aside from maybe revisting, Scherzo, I keep deliberately skipping over the Divergent Arc stuff. Ironically, I lose all concept of time listening to it; it's simultaneously far too short to properly develop its concepts, but each individual episode drags itself out impossibly long.

Yeah, I kind of crawled my way through these audio plays. McGann's run had been so good up until Zagreus, but then it just takes a step back.

Jerusalem posted:

God the Divergent Arc, so much promise (and Scherzo delivered!) and then..... what we got. :negative:

Scherzo definitely sets the bar impossibly high. It doesn't help that it feels like most of the other writers don't really want to properly integrate the divergent universe into their stories. There are some recurring themes, but the concept is more often used as a cheap plot twist, instead. The only one that really left a lasting impression was The Last, and even that has minor issues that almost ruin it, like the voice actors seemingly phoning it in.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

I want to like Real Time more than I do because Lee and Herring are in it. But it's really not great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Who was it who didn't want a BF sale? It's Sylvester McCoy's birthday, so BF are doing a sale on some of his stories all weekend!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/happy-birthday-doctor-who-sylvester-mccoy

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

I want to like Real Time more than I do because Lee and Herring are in it. But it's really not great.

Well, they can't all be David Warner.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

After The War posted:

Excelis is going to feel rough after hearing so much later stuff. It's pretty much EarlyBigFinish.mp3.

It's a bit "We've got Anthony Head! Quick, throw together a story for him before he has to go back to America!" (I think Excelis came out while Buffy was still on the telly.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Who was it who didn't want a BF sale? It's Sylvester McCoy's birthday, so BF are doing a sale on some of his stories all weekend!

Goddammit; I KNEW it. Every time I make a big big finish purchase, they start up a sale.

Thankfully this time nothing I just bought is included, so I am now over my anger and am excited to buy more things.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Should I just buy all of these? People like the Hex stuff, right?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Only 1.99 for the comedy Fly Me To The Moon with Syl and India!?!

Still too much. Avoid this, it's awful

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Should I just buy all of these? People like the Hex stuff, right?

The Hex stuff is pretty solid...more importantly it's 10 stories for $70 bucks (US dollars), including some recent ones. On CD, it came to $95 (shipping to the US).

Hell, it's more Doctor Who, what else could one ask for?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CobiWann posted:

more importantly it's 10 stories for $70 bucks (US dollars), including some recent ones. On CD, it came to $95 (shipping to the US).

Hell, it's more Doctor Who, what else could one ask for?

Well, can't argue with that. Especially since the way Big Finish price their Who downloads means it's only $45 Ausland Funbux (32 USD or 26 GBP in real money) for the nine of the lot I need (already have Protect and Survive, apparently) :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Came out to $50 USD for me, an actual USD user.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks for triggering the Big Finish sale, jivjov, I got some good stuff :)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Came out to $50 USD for me, an actual USD user.

Yeah, I just meant that the way they do a flat [local currency units] for downloads means that what I end up paying with my worthless Australian Dollarydoos almost feels like a bit of a cheeky "discount" compared to if they actually charged me the 5 GBP or did an actual conversion to come up with an Australian price or whatever.

As opposed to CDs which are $10.32 AUD each for the sale items compared to the 6 GBP in the news article.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I remember liking A Death In The Family quite a bit; that might partially be because Evelyn is in it and there are some quite nice moments between her and Hex.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Protect And Survive is good, but it's very, very dark, so don't listen to it if you're looking for a goofy magic spaceman adventures.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Just based on the name I'd guess that

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
There's also barely any Doctor in it, if that matters to you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh look, it's the start of at least 20 Pertwee stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Quick, has anybody seen a crass but lovable poacher or his endearingly harping wife about? :ohdear:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

And the rest are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq1SZrZbRMA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh no, Vervoid larvae :stare:.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sea potatoes? They really expect us to believe that? Next they'll be saying it was all a mass hallucination caused by swamp gas.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Finished up the Fate of Krelos/Return to Telos two parter that closed out last year's 4DA series. I liked that there were no silly multi-doctor shenanigans, and I'm hella impressed that Frazer Hines records 2/Jamie dialog all in one go, rather than one characters' lines followed by the other's.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Frazer is so fantastic as a voice actor. He can go from narrating, to playing Jamie, to playing 2 and it all sounds different. He once flipped from Old Jamie to Young Jamie in the same audio--he could play a 20 year old version of his character as easily as a 60 year old one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: What if the Industrial Revolution..... but robots!?!

Long Synopsis: The 7th Doctor investigates a technologically advanced alien investigating ANOTHER technologically advanced alien on an industrial revolution-era planet with the unfortunate distinction of unknowingly being a Cyberman tomb-world. Can any good come from Cyber-technology or are intentions meaningless against its underlying imperative to survive? Who can be trusted with secrets, who will throw their own society under the bus for personal power, and what does it really mean to be "human"?

What's Good:
  • The setting/concept. The planet Tasak is divided into "Houses" of influence, something somewhat akin to the old Italian city-states though presumably on a planet-wide basis. They are slowly emerging from centuries of conflict and entering their Industrial Age, making great strides not only in engineering but also medicine, with the development of a miracle medicine called "The Silver" that seems capable of healing up wounds and curing previously fatal illnesses, and even halting or even reversing the aging process. But crucially, despite their relatively "primitive" level of technological development they are also fully aware that they are a part of a greater cosmos and that there are planets and alien races out there so far beyond their own level of technology as to be almost Gods. One such alien visitor is being kept a "guest" of the most prominent house on the planet, as they try to convince her to lend her advanced knowledge to their attempts to understand an ancient piece of technology that is the source of their recent technological breakthroughs. It's a really neat concept and background that I wouldn't have minded seeing explored more deeply, the simultaneous pride in their society's accomplishments while being fully aware of their own rather "backwards" place in a greater inter-galactic society they have no part in is really interesting - they know that the issues and concerns that dominate their society are small potatoes but that doesn't lessen their value or importance.

• The questions on morality/the nature of humanity. Tasak's history is one of warfare, but the leading House has successfully rallied the rest of the world into putting aside their differences (for the most part) and take great pride in their hard-fought for peace. But that doesn't make them Saints, there are disagreements within the House itself over the best way forward, and even the leader Magus Riga (played by Terry "Davros" Molloy!) is still perfectly willing to hold an alien visitor under guard as a "guest" and refuse to let her leave or communicate with her own people until she agrees to provide her expertise for their own benefit. When the dangers of the Silver are first explained to him his reaction is fury because it calls into question not only the benefits of what they're doing but shits all over the very real accomplishments of peace and the advance of knowledge he rightfully takes great pride in. Meanwhile, the alien visitors are revealed to be something rather unexpected themselves, but their own humanity comes shining through in spite of that while the humans (well, Tasakians) are losing their own as the Silver takes hold. One Tasak official's desire for power (of course) leads to the loss of everything he was seeking to gain, which of course is the whole Cyberman story all over again, while the "inhuman" visitors are prepared to sacrifice and die in order to save each other out of love.

• Keepsake. This is one of those audios where the story wraps up in three episodes and ends with a mostly standalone piece. This one tells the story of the Doctor picking up parts for the TARDIS in an intergalactic scrapyard and coming across a small, simple robot that ends up detailing the story of the two alien visitors to Tasak after the events of Kingdom of Silver wrapped up. It's a rather charming and sweet piece with one major thing standing against it (more below), and it furthers those same ideals from above about the nature of humanity and the question of whether survival is worth anything if you lose what you were in the process.

What's Not:

• It's.... A CYBERMAN! :aaa: - While it's pretty much in keeping with how the show almost always did it anyway, there's something rather eye-rolling about the episode one cliffhanger being the "shock" revelation of a Cyberman when the story is called,"Kingdom of Silver" and features a picture of a Cyberman right on the cover!

• The reliance on background knowledge/continuity. This story actually has a strong background to do with the standalone Cybermen audio series which is all well and good if you've listened to that, but if you haven't (and I have not) then a lot of the big moments fall flat. The Orion war, the androids, the scavenger hunt for Cybermen technology, it's all presented as an integral part of the universe but... that's it. It's just laid out there as,"Well this is important because of the Orion War and of course you know about all the poo poo going down between the androids and the humans!" and... I don't. Keepsake in particular suffers from this as it's effectively just an advertisement for the ongoing Cybermen series, and while it's very touching and sweet in places and works as a nice epilogue KoS, it also has blatant sections where characters basically say,"Wow I wonder what happened next with <x> and where <y> went and how it all resolved!?!" and it's clumsy and a little irritating.

• The three episode compression. Keepsake is a nice epilogue but it comes at the cost of a compressed three episode structure for the main story. This means some stuff gets rushed through, in particular the reaction to the revelation of the Cybermen - it actually would have been rather interesting to see the Magus/population actually initially buy into the whole thing, since the Cybermen actually do make a conscious effort to put a facade on their desire for mass-conversion, couching everything in terms that fall neatly into line with what we already know to be the Magus' goals. But because there is so little time, the arrival of the Cybermen immediately kicks off revulsion and fear and a desire to fight back and before you know it they've been destroyed and the threat is over almost as soon as it began. Nothing really gets a chance to breathe because it all has to be wrapped up so quickly.

Final Thoughts:

Kingdom of Silver is another enjoyable 7th Doctor audio - it's odd that despite liking Ace and Hex so much the stories seem to improve when it's "just" the 7th Doctor showing up and meeting a new quasi-companion and dealing with the situation. McCoy clearly enjoys himself in the role and brings an infectious sense of fun to the story, he's a guy who clearly knows more than everybody else but never comes across as particularly superior or condescending, more than willing to accept or defend alternate ways of thinking. The setting is an interesting one, the characters have a fair amount of interesting moral discussions, and like most good Cybermen stories it has interesting (if not particularly unique) things to say about the nature of humanity. It does rather openly blow the "secret" of the baddies though, serves largely as an advertorial for the Cybermen audio series, and it all has to wrap up too quickly. But despite the issues I had with it, it was a story I really enjoyed listening to and one I would have no issue with recommending - ironically despite just mentioning how it's intended as part of the larger Cybermen series, I think at its best this is a really good standalone piece.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It's so weird that the Cybermen keep getting spoiled when they're supposed to be a BIG reveal...Human Resources did it SO drat well because the Cybermen weren't near the cover of Part 1!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Romans sure starts off weird. You'd think the TARDIS falling off a cliff would have SOME immediate follow-up, as opposed to taking a three-week time-skip.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CaptainYesterday posted:

The Romans sure starts off weird. You'd think the TARDIS falling off a cliff would have SOME immediate follow-up, as opposed to taking a three-week time-skip.

I love The Romans and I can't really blame the Doctor for taking the excuse to go chill in a Roman villa for the summer on the flimsiest of pretexts. "Oh no there is no way to get the TARDIS up just yet, let's go eat grapes and drink wine!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The trailer for The War Doctor Boxset 3 is up!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Not much clever or insightful to say other than it sounds great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Also, Dalek Time Controller! :D

EDIT: Today's TeeFury shirt is cute.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 22, 2016

• Locked thread