Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

"And, of course, understand that by the very definition,you can't rape your dog" -chris kenny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mr Morrison, interviewed today on Sydney radio station 2GB, faced a call from broadcaster Ray Hadley to force the ARC to justify its grants in the front bar of pub in western Sydney or northside Brisbane.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

they've already gutted the research sector, can't they leave off for a little while :qq:

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Bolt tries to create the appearance that it's a free speech issue when he would have soundly lost a defamation case anyway. The applicants chose 18c to make the point he only went after them because of their race.

All the arguments totally ignore 18d as well, which pretty much negates 18c too. Bolt lost his case because he didn't do a shred of research before throwing a whole bunch of strangers under the bus. He stated he pretty much googled them and decided they looked white to him.

If nothing else we did get Bolt screaming 'free speech is dead' from the front page of the Herald Sun without a shred of irony.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Mr Morrison, interviewed today on Sydney radio station 2GB, faced a call from broadcaster Ray Hadley to force the ARC to justify its grants in the front bar of pub in western Sydney or northside Brisbane.

I wonder what kind of results this would actually yield? I mean the idea is so bizarre I can't even imagine a likely outcome.

In a lot of ways I think the front bar of a pub in Western Sydney would be happy to defer to the ARC anyway.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 22, 2016

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

open24hours posted:

I wonder what kind of results this would actually yield? I mean the idea is so bizarre I can't even imagine a likely outcome.

The ARC representative getting glassed.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Why is "Will poor alcoholics like this?" a yardstick for anything whatsoever?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hooman posted:

Why is "Will poor alcoholics like this?" a yardstick for anything whatsoever?

Western Sydney mate.

Western. Sydney.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Rooty Hill

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Honestly I think the efficacy of all government policy should be evaluated in this manner.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Western Sydney mate.

Western. Sydney.

"I'd like to see you get up and justify your subsidies to mining companies at centrelink"
"I'd like to see you justify your freedom of navigation exercises to an AA meeting"
"I'd like to see you justify your gay marriage policy to the liberal party room"

It's devoid of all meaning. These people aren't qualified to make decisions about that subject matter so why the gently caress do you want experts to justify their decisions to them?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Western.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sydney.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Didn't the ALP whip their federal senses in Western Sydney? So just a fruitless popularity contest in the rags perhaps?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
where Western Sydney goes, so does the nation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did you know the technical definition of Western Sydney? Now you do.

https://twitter.com/THE_REAL_BIGJEZ/status/696308447520755712

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

open24hours posted:

I can't work out the angle, are they utterly irrelevant or dangerous social engineering?

As someone who gets ARC funding in a STEM discipline, I'll admit sometimes that when you look through the list of grants it's hard to imagine the benefit compared to some you know didn't get through. When postwar evolution of the university campus gets a grant, but potentially field-changing work on robotic surgery or pulmonary drug delivery by field-leading researchers gets knocked back, some dark corner of your brain starts to whisper that maybe Daily Telegraph is right. Then you recoil in horror at even thinking those words.

Of course, other parts of your brain also think that NHMRC funding should be shifted to the ARC even though when you look at it objectively, your own work is probably going to have less impact on society than research on malaria.

Taking potshots at arts research is always easy, but we either accept as a society that we value broad thinking, in both research and education, and fund it appropriately, or we don't. The fact is that projects like this make up a very small fraction of the total ARC budget, and if they're so concerned about us not getting enough funding in the hard sciences, the way to fix it is to stop cutting the pool of funding. Most of us spend at least a month of full time work each year writing applications that nationally have about a 14% success rate (which is often down not to quality, but the lottery of which reviewers you get assigned. People will submit the same grant two years running, get slammed the first year and get glowing reports and funding the second). It's a horrendously inefficient process, and the shrinking pool of funding is making it worse.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the thing is a lot of grants get given to the STEM equivalent of basket weaving or whatever, it's just that because arts and humanities studies are more immediately understandable to the average person they're the ones which generate outrage. 'socially engaged art'?! what nonsense! fusion power? oh yeah that sounds good fund that. (guess which one has cost billions upon billions of dollars and has been 'five years away' for the past four decades?)

also literally everyone tangentially related to the research sector wants to reform the grants system, but the government won't give the research agencies any money to do so. hmmery

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Majestic posted:

As someone who gets ARC funding in a STEM discipline, I'll admit sometimes that when you look through the list of grants it's hard to imagine the benefit compared to some you know didn't get through. When postwar evolution of the university campus gets a grant, but potentially field-changing work on robotic surgery or pulmonary drug delivery by field-leading researchers gets knocked back, some dark corner of your brain starts to whisper that maybe Daily Telegraph is right. Then you recoil in horror at even thinking those words.

Of course, other parts of your brain also think that NHMRC funding should be shifted to the ARC even though when you look at it objectively, your own work is probably going to have less impact on society than research on malaria.

Taking potshots at arts research is always easy, but we either accept as a society that we value broad thinking, in both research and education, and fund it appropriately, or we don't. The fact is that projects like this make up a very small fraction of the total ARC budget, and if they're so concerned about us not getting enough funding in the hard sciences, the way to fix it is to stop cutting the pool of funding. Most of us spend at least a month of full time work each year writing applications that nationally have about a 14% success rate (which is often down not to quality, but the lottery of which reviewers you get assigned. People will submit the same grant two years running, get slammed the first year and get glowing reports and funding the second). It's a horrendously inefficient process, and the shrinking pool of funding is making it worse.

Yeah I work in research too and I know what you mean. I don't know what other process, aside from competitive grants, would be any fairer though?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

BBJoey posted:

the thing is a lot of grants get given to the STEM equivalent of basket weaving or whatever, it's just that because arts and humanities studies are more immediately understandable to the average person they're the ones which generate outrage. 'socially engaged art'?! what nonsense! fusion power? oh yeah that sounds good fund that. (guess which one has cost billions upon billions of dollars and has been 'five years away' for the past four decades?)

also literally everyone tangentially related to the research sector wants to reform the grants system, but the government won't give the research agencies any money to do so. hmmery
:ssh: Turns out weaving baskets underwater is pro tier basket weaving. Which makes the people who use it unironically ironic without them even realising it.

Morrison suggesting doing something in Western Sydney? He wouldn't leave the safety of the shire to front a Western Sydney public bar and someone needs to rub his face in that as well as all the despicable stuff he's responsible for. I hope I live to see him tried for his crimes. I will accept a lynching/glassing from a Western Sydney public bar however.

When allocating public funding a whiteboard can help enormously.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Scott Morrison attacks super funds not investing in coal for 'political reasons’

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

If it's such a great investment, maybe the government should invest in it and reap the profits.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Tokamak posted:

If it's such a great investment, maybe the government should invest in it and reap the profits.
The government isn't in the business of making money, and doing so would crowd out private industry.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

hooman posted:

Scott Morrison attacks super funds not investing in coal for 'political reasons’

Lol who does this guy think he is to tell super funds how they should do their business. What are his political reasons for this attack?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The government isn't in the business of making money, and doing so would crowd out private industry.

*desperately pumps money into coal and mining*

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crqR4pjfSb0

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Narrator posted:

Lol who does this guy think he is to tell super funds how they should do their business. What are his political reasons for this attack?

He is a complete loving muppet, with the coal industries hand firmly milking his prostate.

Turns out that industry controlled super funds invest more in infrastructure than bank controlled superfunds, but good ol scumfucker wont let facts get in the way of some union bashing.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Cartoon posted:

:ssh: Turns out weaving baskets underwater is pro tier basket weaving. Which makes the people who use it unironically ironic without them even realising it.

I know, I'm using basket weaving as shorthand for 'research projects that sound ridiculous on face value but are actually interesting and important'.

in the same vein I'm not calling research into fusion power a waste of money, just noting that if you're looking for research expenditure with a lack of marketable outcomes (yet) you can do a lot better than the small fry in the HASS sector.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

earlier today in Canberra:

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Recoome posted:

Palestine Liberation Front: AN ISLAMIC TERROR ORGANIZATION

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I wonder if Bolt privately rues being beholden to his audience. Like today after he showed uncharacteristic decency by recognizing the banana incident as racist:

quote:

Normally you speak with a great deal of common sense. But bananas? Seriously? Would you mind giving us a PC list of acceptable fruit and vegetables to throw?

quote:

Wait a minute, You spend months telling everyone that the girl that called goodes an ape probably wasn’t a racist, she just didn’t understand that the word ape was insulting to aborigines. But you have no doubt this was racist, isn’t it quite possible that out of frustration she just grabbed the nearest thing without thinking? How can you be so sure one is racist and the other isn’t?

quote:

So, throwing fruit at somebody who is not white is now racist. What if the player she threw it a was white? Would that not be the same thing. Stop trying to pander to the lefties Andrew,

quote:

If she had taken an orange or a bag of marshmallows to the footy, would that still have counted as a “racist attack?”

quote:

The most racist people here are the ones making hay calling it ‘racist.”

Anyway you should not throw things at Australians, especially not at
Extra Special ones.

But look at me. I am just an ordinary one.
You could probably throw a banana at me and get away with it.

But there’s Special Laws for some. Tyrannsaurus Triggs will get you and gobble you up.

You reap what you sow I guess.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

snoremac posted:

You reap what you sow I guess.

Excellent result, a range of excuses we can demolish.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The brain dead morons have a point though, I was surprised when bolt condemned the banana throwing.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
hmm i wonder which animal is commonly associated with bananas

also i wounded whether there's a common association between these particular animals and black people???????????

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

hmm i wonder which animal is commonly associated with bananas

also i wounded whether there's a common association between these particular animals and black people???????????

Bananas out for Harambe

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Football is bad

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Solemn Sloth posted:

Football is bad

Hey, it's just the afl that's bad. Nothing like that in the proud history of the NRL.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

iajanus posted:

Hey, it's just the afl that's bad. Nothing like that in the proud history of the NRL.
nrl.txt

Gower has been involved in a number of alcohol-related off-field incidents. In 1999, Gower exposed himself to a female Irish tourist in a Coogee bar, blaming his behaviour on alcohol intoxication. He was dumped from the Kangaroos squad and fined A$2,500 by the NRL and a further A$500 in court after pleading guilty to indecent exposure.[21]

In December 2005, Gower was fired as Panthers captain[22] after incidents at a charity golf event where he argued with several guests, groped the teenage daughter of former league player Wayne Pearce, chased Mitchell Pearce with a bottle before vomiting on him, streaked nude around the resort, stole and crashed a golf cart, held a butter knife[23] to the throat of a Sydney radio personality before throwing it at resort guests, and engaged in a brawl with resort security before being ejected from the official function and detained by police.[24] He was handed a "final warning" by the National Rugby League and fined A$100,000, with A$90,000 to be paid to an NRL programme encouraging the responsible use of alcohol by league players and $10,000 to replace the destroyed golf cart.[25] Gower was "deeply unhappy" that the Penrith Panthers club did not defend his reputation, and at one stage threatened to "walk" from the club.[26]

Allegedly inebriated with alcohol in a bar at Kings Cross on 11 February 2007, Gower allegedly tried to kiss one man before biting him on the neck and sparking a brawl, and is accused of assaulting another man.[27][28] The Panthers club controversially reappointed Gower as captain in 2007, claiming the Peppermint Lounge incident was just a media "beat-up".[29] Australian swimmer Dawn Fraser said Gower was unfit to be captain, due to his alleged lewd behaviour at the charity golf event which she attended,[30] and Sarah Maddison, spokesperson for the Women's Electoral Lobby, said "reappointing Craig Gower would send all the wrong messages."[31]

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Was hoping the counter example that would inevitably be posted would be Gower :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The brain dead morons have a point though, I was surprised when bolt condemned the banana throwing.

Yeah I thought he would call it "admittedly silly" and then rail against the girl's crucifixion at the hands of the militant Left who do not understand forgiveness or decency.

Edit: I can't tell if this (from Bolt's blog comments) is real or masterful trolling:

quote:

The more I hear about this Eddie Betts incident, the less I think it is about racism and the more I think it is about littering. For the Leftist media to overreact in the way they have is predictable, but concerning and the responsibility must surely fall on Betts’ shoulders to apologise to the girl and all conservatives.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 22, 2016

• Locked thread