Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Because the fluffiness is what makes it insulation?

I mean to negate its impact on feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I mean to negate its impact on feedback.

Yeah but that would also negate the insulation - you're trapping tiny air pockets in the insulating material to prevent heat transfer. Crush the material, no air pockets, you'd end up with cold bands everywhere you have straps

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
At some point I'm going to want to upgrade from my joe rocket jacket/pants:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-odyssey-one-piece-suit

For convenience's sake, this looks nice. Just one zipper to worry about, no loops/zipper to connect a top and bottom, etc. Is this the right way to go about it, or should I consider two-piece leather stuff? I'm commuting to work almost daily and I live in Denver CO.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I don't think it has a full neck to ankle zipper like the aerostitch, but it's a nice choice if you can't swing / find a decent used one. Also very good bang for buck.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Renaissance Robot posted:

I don't see a problem with this tbh, I would just consider the electric liner a permanent part of that glove. It's not like you have to have them turned on all the time.
Which defeats the entire purpose of a liner. You're spending ~$100 on a heated glove liner, and then ~$150-200 more on a glove shell to specifically wear with that liner. The liner isn't going to fit under a glove that's sized correctly, and even if you go up 1-2 sizes, it just makes the glove extremely bulky and uncomfortable. And then you're stuck with a glove that's too large to wear by itself.

When I refer to bulk, I'm not referring to insulation bulk. I'm referring to the fact that you have a glove liner with wires running through it (which is inherently cumbersome) wedged into a glove that is far too large for your hands, which just causes material bunching and shifting (something far more cumbersome than a thick glove IME/IMO). Your hand is in a liner that is prone to bunch, packed with bulky wires that are prone to shift, floating inside of a glove that is going to bunch up and twist around. It's just too many layers.

The advantage of dedicated heated gloves is that you can guarantee the warmth of your hands without cramming the thing with 400 grams of Thinsulate. The thickness of a pair of Held Cold Champs gives me no feel for my control. Wearing a pair of dedicated heated gloves (e.g. Vanguards) gives me plenty of feel. Gerbing nixed a handful of products when they rebranded to Gyde last winter, and there's a reason they stopped producing heated glove liners altogether.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Z3n posted:

I don't think it has a full neck to ankle zipper like the aerostitch, but it's a nice choice if you can't swing / find a decent used one. Also very good bang for buck.

I forgot about those. Thanks for the reminder.

That's the "be all end all" for street/commuting protection, yes? Or is there ever a reason to get a 1 or 2 piece leather? Most of my riding is commuting over khakis and a polo. Sometimes jeans because Casual Friday.

I wish I could go ride but it's night and I have work tomorrow :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's the most convenient balance of full gear plus protection plus ok-ish waterproofing. Best protection definitely goes to a proper fitting leather suit. I don't feel like I give anything significant up for street speed crashes to run a 'stitch though.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yo my nice riding boots got poo poo hosed after riding through that insane down pour the other day. the insides smell like hot poo poo now... for the moment i've put baking soda into the soles as much as i could on the sides of the ankle support but how do i clean the rest of it where the baking soda won't rest?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

yo my nice riding boots got poo poo hosed after riding through that insane down pour the other day. the insides smell like hot poo poo now... for the moment i've put baking soda into the soles as much as i could on the sides of the ankle support but how do i clean the rest of it where the baking soda won't rest?

You can spray them with rubbing alcohol (if you go nuts with it, be sure to condition any leather you hit) or freeze them or use vinegar (don't do this, it works but then instead of poo poo you smell like vinegar).

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Space Whale posted:

At some point I'm going to want to upgrade from my joe rocket jacket/pants:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-odyssey-one-piece-suit

For convenience's sake, this looks nice. Just one zipper to worry about, no loops/zipper to connect a top and bottom, etc. Is this the right way to go about it, or should I consider two-piece leather stuff? I'm commuting to work almost daily and I live in Denver CO.

I have the mesh version of this for summer riding. These are only adjustable to a certain degree (there are straps at the waist and I think at the back of the arms), and mine is pretty baggy even over work clothes. I'd save up and get the aerostich so you can get it tailored to fit you a little better if needed.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Razzled posted:

If wearing raw denim and not washing my jeans for a year has taught me anything, Ozium and freezing them. Also, be sure to recondition any leather on the boot with Lexol. Not reconditioning your leather after getting it wet is the easiest way to destroy it.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I take it leather gauntlets/gloves I wore in the rain should be reconditioned, huh?

... what is leather (re)conditioner :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Space Whale posted:

I take it leather gauntlets/gloves I wore in the rain should be reconditioned, huh?

everything you need

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Space Whale posted:

When leather gets wet, it strips the natural oils from the leather, which are what keep it soft, supple, and help maintain its abrasion resistance properties. Without the oils, your leather will become hard, brittle, and start to crack. I destroyed a pair of GP Pluses by getting them wet one too many times without reconditioning them. The fingers all have holes in them now. I used to keep that pair of gloves behind the counter to demonstrate to people how water ruins leather.

Reconditioning replaces those oils and keeps the leather healthy. If your leather gets wet, hang it up, let it dry, and then recondition. Even if my gear hasn't gotten wet, I like to recondition a few times a year just for good measure. It's like changing the oil in your car. Also a great way to break in new gear (some people say to spray it with water to help it stretch, but I don't like that for obvious reasons).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How about nubuck? Would I need a different kind of conditioner for that or is regular stuff fine?

There's only one spot on my boots that's visibly drying out in any case, over the left toe (because the toes are all that really get wet even when it's pouring, and the right boot gets liberally conditioned with engine oil every time I ride :v:)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Space Whale, if you want an Aerostitch, be sure to watch the marketplace on ADVRider. There's a constant stream of used 'stitch suits.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Space Whale posted:

I use leatherique. works best if you can let it sit for a day or two in a really hot room. Pristine clean works tits too. it'll take out scuffs and such that happen.

Febreeze is good for raunch too. If you plan on transversing deep water often it probably wouldnt hurt to put a small hole in the sole of your boot to let water drain easily.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

One of those Scorpion modulars previously linked. It fits a little more snug than my RF1200, and the visor doesn't catch a ton of wind from my SMT's screen until highway speeds.

I like this so far for my commute, which is all city at 40mph ish. The built in 'sunglasses' are nice - I leave for work at 2pm, and come home at either 11:30p or 7am depending on my luck. Huge field of vision.

My only real complaints are that it feels cheaper than the Shoei, and the orange isn't a 100% match for my bike.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Oh man I'm jealous. I too work roughly the same hours and I can't be bothered to bring my clear visor. It's not a big deal riding with the smoked visor but it's be nice to have both readily available. If I got it i think I would get the high viz green(yellow?) My black and red helmet doesn't match my black and grey bike at all.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Not sure if anyone cares, but I just got a pair of forms Terras and figured I'd post some initial thoughts.

First things first, they do indeed seem to run wide. I normally wear 10 2e shoes, and I got a pair of 10s. They seem to fit ok, but I had to run to class so I couldn't keep them on. We'll see how they do tomorrow when I can wear them for more than a few minutes. Some reviews I read said the toebox is tall, but I didn't notice.

Next thing I noticed, these suckers are big. They are 15 and a half inches tall from the ground, and ~14 from the sole. The shin guard is big too, I can barely get a pair of pants over them- If I keep them I'm probably going to have to tuck my pants in. I might end up going with the forma Adventure lows instead, depends on if these feel OK. I got these over the adventures because these are stiffer (they definitely are stiff), but they may be overkill for street riding.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

As Nero Danced posted:

Next thing I noticed, these suckers are big. They are 15 and a half inches tall from the ground, and ~14 from the sole. The shin guard is big too, I can barely get a pair of pants over them- If I keep them I'm probably going to have to tuck my pants in. I might end up going with the forma Adventure lows instead, depends on if these feel OK. I got these over the adventures because these are stiffer (they definitely are stiff), but they may be overkill for street riding.

Counterpoint: you will look sick as gently caress in the best possible way.
Dehumanise yourself and face to Nice Boots :ocelot:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
One thing about tall boots is that your shin is so well protected that shorter boots are going to feel unsafe and kinda icky after you've been wearing them for a while.

I even prefer them to my shorter vented/mesh boots for that reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've noticed this is a problem any time you get fancier gear.

At first: "man, this stuff is really restrictive and stiff."
Then: "eh, I guess I'm getting used to it. It breaks in nicely"
Later, wearing your old gear: "Wow, how the hell did I used to do this? Everything feels so thin and loose"

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

When I went from a 5x HJC to a 3x scorpion.. Talk about loose.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Sagebrush posted:

I've noticed this is a problem any time you get fancier gear.

At first: "man, this stuff is really restrictive and stiff."
Then: "eh, I guess I'm getting used to it. It breaks in nicely"
Later, wearing your old gear: "Wow, how the hell did I used to do this? Everything feels so thin and loose"

Yeah, that's the truth- my tour master solutions seem flimsy as hell. I can bend them over with my pinkie finger and roll up the sole nearly as easy. I remember being happy with them when I bought them, but now I can't believe I actually bought them and liked them.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Dumb.

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 25, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Not the advice you're looking for, but it is completely worthless as actual motorcycle gear.

e: lmfao $760 holy poo poo

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

M42 posted:

Not the advice you're looking for, but it is completely worthless as actual motorcycle gear.

e: lmfao $760 holy poo poo

You're right, that's not the advice i'm looking for, but thanks!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, I wouldn't call it completely worthless. IIRC the Perfectos are made with thick, strong leather that should stand up to abrasion pretty well.

No armor though, and you're definitely paying a premium for the name (same one Marlon Brando wore in the 50s).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's the advice you should listen to. But if you want fashion advice, which is what you solicited, you should try YLLS.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

This forum is comprised of people that take their riding safety a little bit more seriously than your average WAYWT poster, sorry. Fit advice for a motorcycle jacket without one of its most important assets, the armor, isn't fit advice - it's fashion advice.

Here, this stuff will actually protect you, is mostly cheaper, and is ~vintage~.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm guessing it was a schott perfecto he posted? Yeah, way overpriced and completely pointless as a motorcycle jacket. If someone does want a brando style jacket for riding there are a few motorcycle-oriented derivatives out there.

The best one at a reasonable price was by River Road and just went on closeout all over the place so finding one in the right size might be difficult, if not impossible. It has lovely foam pads for the elbows, shoulders and back but can be upgraded to real armor. Here it is still for sale on motorcyclegear and motorcycle-superstore. Again, finding different sizes are pretty hard to find so good luck to anyone looking. River Road had two others for much cheaper that also got phased out but couldn't take armor. One was perforated though, which might be appealing to someone.

A newer brand is called Black Brand (very creative), with their jacket called the neanderthal but it doesn't take armor so it isn't much better. About the only trhing going for it is the price is much better than the schott.

Last option is from z1r but I know nothing about the brand and it looks like a bit crappy to me.

... please don't ask me why I had all these ready to share.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Anyone know good rain gloves for people with huge hands and like/prefer gauntlets in case they fall so they're not like the handless dude?

I tried overgloves today and it quit raining before I could put them on. And go figure I could only get them over my right hand.

I wear 3XL Cortech latigo rr gauntlets for what it's worth.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I have a perfecto-style leather jacket. I've never once worn it on a bike or even thought about wearing it on a bike because it isn't a real bike jacket.

That's what my A* jacket is for.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I took my sleeve length question elsewhere y'all - carry on

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm returning those forma Terras after all, the height and cuffs were just too much boot for me. I think I rubbed off all the hair just below my kneecap; walking more than 2 minutes was a chore. Granted they arent made for walking but they weren't much better when I sat on the bike- still too big and bulky. I didn't even get to riding because I couldn't move my feet around on the controls.

The width was perfect though, which was the main concern I had before I bought them. I hope the adventure lows run just as wide, every thing I'm reading says they do.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Re: Leatherchat
I've used mink oil on every leather item I've ever owned, and have been more than happy with the results. Do I need to step forward in time a bit?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

As Nero Danced posted:

I think I rubbed off all the hair just below my kneecap

Mind that as pretend MX boots, you are totally supposed to tuck your trousers into them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

Re: Leatherchat
I've used mink oil on every leather item I've ever owned, and have been more than happy with the results. Do I need to step forward in time a bit?

No, mink oil is great. All natural oil products work really well since (gasp) natural oil is what the leather was preserved with when it was on the cow. Most of the leather treatments you'll see still use natural compounds (neatsfoot oil, for instance) in some measure. The only reason to try and find something synthetic is if you're vegan or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Space Whale posted:

Anyone know good rain gloves for people with huge hands and like/prefer gauntlets in case they fall so they're not like the handless dude?

I tried overgloves today and it quit raining before I could put them on. And go figure I could only get them over my right hand.

I wear 3XL Cortech latigo rr gauntlets for what it's worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv1w9bg3bMM

That's you that is.

Depends on whether you're looking for summer/three season gloves that happen to be waterproof (or at least showerproof), or if you want proper insulated winter gloves.

If the former, just get whichever leather glove you like, treat it with Renapur and keep a set of nitrile gloves in your pocket for when the rain gets really heavy. Waterproof light gloves are generally not waterproof for long or are really sweaty when it's not raining, so may as well optimise on protection and compromise on the waterproofing. The Renapur will make them showeprood and also keep them protective when wet.