Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Pathos Nethack is one of the best tablet rogue-likes. All the Nethack, with an easy touch interface:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/pathos-nethack-codex/id1045848120?mt=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Wamdoodle posted:

Smh. Consarn young'ins. :corsair:

*falls asleep*

quote:

Kevin: This shot reminds me: You'll see games with forklifts and crates, but you won't see one goddamn pallet. You know what a pallet is right? Yeah, you worked at the warehouse, you know. But all these whiny bitches who go to college on their parents' money and then design games have never been inside a real loving warehouse and have no loving clue that in order to move a loving crate, you need to have a goddamn pallet. Hey Monolith, how'd that loving box get in there?
Things certainly have changed, because the first FPS I ever played(Halo 3) contains a surprising amount of pallets.

They were breakable so people put those suckers between small fixed-position forge objects you can walk through like the little covenant weapon holders or deactivated teleporters to make walls you could break through that could be set to respawn.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sacrificial Toast posted:

"Games can be rated and compared based on the shortest amount of time it takes a player to reach the first crate, which represents the point where the developers ran out of ideas."
http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/39.html

Very astutue commentary on pallets

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Rutibex posted:

Pathos Nethack is one of the best tablet rogue-likes. All the Nethack, with an easy touch interface:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/pathos-nethack-codex/id1045848120?mt=8

unfortunately, i'm pretty sure that would involve playing nethack

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I got a soft spot for nethack then a fairy steals my dragon mail and i fall down 5 floors and dont remember that it dosent like me back

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nethack is awesome, you guys are on berserk potions.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Nethack is really bad. Formative for the genre, but really bad.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
First thing i would do when i won the lottery is buy alot of cigarettes and coffee and sit down and play nethack till i ascend

edit: im downloading slashem and im gonna have a great time

e2: did not have a great time

Isaac fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 20, 2016

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Zaodai posted:

Can someone sell me on 868-hack? I picked it up super cheap at some point, but I just can't get it. It simultaneously seems very simple and oddly brutal, which usually means I'm missing an obvious mechanic. It also just may not be my style of roguelike.

You're right, it's both simple and brutal.

I was gonna post tips but these places are where I found the advice that got me through a run, so check these out:

http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com/2013/09/tips-for-868-hack-part-one.html

http://steamcommunity.com/app/274700/discussions/0/604941528471190918/ (yes i know it's a Steam discussion forum thread but it has good advice)

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Did dragonfin soup ever get updated to not be a steaming pile of poo poo?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The big new version of dragonfin soup hasn't quite come out yet IIRC---I want to say it was going to land somewhere in the next few months though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Isaac posted:

First thing i would do when i won the lottery is buy alot of cigarettes and coffee and sit down and play nethack till i ascend

edit: im downloading slashem and im gonna have a great time

e2: did not have a great time

Play slashem extended and win the game as a cockatrice transvestite

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

IronicDongz posted:

Nethack is really bad. Formative for the genre, but really bad.

Nethack is great, and I'm never playing it again to preserve my delusions memories.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Baller Time posted:

During a lengthy boss fight, I had this guy end up with over 140000 defense. On that level, 80 is already pretty ok.

How go you see their exact stats during fights? I'm only able to see traits with inspect

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Garfu posted:

How go you see their exact stats during fights? I'm only able to see traits with inspect

You don't, I was looking at the floating stat increase numbers

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Anyone have some tips for playing the actual Rogue for DOS? Like good weapon combos to shoot for and the like.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I don't think there's any downside to better equipment in Rogue, right? Armor and weapons just get stronger. The only thing with a downside is rings costing food to wear.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I don't think there's any downside to better equipment in Rogue, right? Armor and weapons just get stronger. The only thing with a downside is rings costing food to wear.

The only thing I can think of, is that you'll want to change to shittier armor when an Aquator comes around, so it doesn't ruin your best suit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have had a few weeks off so I decided to do a bit of work on my Final Fantasy rogue-like. Its mostly inspired by Siralim, except instead of Pokemon it is Final Fantasy. A "bit of work" turned into a complete overhaul. It started off with a randomized battle arena, I just started fighting lots of random battles until I got the balance the way I liked it. Mostly I added a achievement system and a world nexus. The game tracks all kinds of things and if you gain certain achievements you earn Platinum Coins. You can use Platinum Coins to unlock new classes and dungeons and towns.

All of the dungeons are infinite and randomly generated, you can just keep going down and they get harder as you go. In fact there are achievements for going quite deep! I think I might have done something right, as I am now often getting addicted to playing my own game when I do testing and get distracted for hours :v: Its not done yet of course (nothing ever is). I plan to add many more portals over time, and refine a few things here and there. The non-basic classes are also a bit of a mess at the moment!

Final Fantasy R V1.00
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k2pfaob7uh79aia/Final+Fantasy+R+V1.00.rar

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 22, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rutibex posted:

I have had a few weeks off so I decided to do a bit of work on my Final Fantasy rogue-like. Its mostly inspired by Siralim, except instead of Pokemon it is Final Fantasy. A "bit of work" turned into a complete overhaul. It started off with a randomized battle arena, I just started fighting lots of random battles until I got the balance the way I liked it. Mostly I added a achievement system and a world nexus. The game tracks all kinds of things and if you gain certain achievements you earn Platinum Coins. You can use Platinum Coins to unlock new classes and dungeons and towns.

All of the dungeons are infinite and randomly generated, you can just keep going down and they get harder as you go. In fact there are achievements for going quite deep! I think I might have done something right, as I am now often getting addicted to playing my own game when I do testing and get distracted for hours :v: Its not done yet of course (nothing ever is). I plan to add many more portals over time, and refine a few things here and there. The non-basic classes are also a bit of a mess at the moment!

Final Fantasy R V1.00
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k2pfaob7uh79aia/Final+Fantasy+R+V1.00.rar

Are there still random enemies immune to normal attacks before you can feasibly get anything else going? And are mages still useless out of the box, requiring a bunch of grinding to learn to cast basic spells?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dis astranagant posted:

Are there still random enemies immune to normal attacks before you can feasibly get anything else going? And are mages still useless out of the box, requiring a bunch of grinding to learn to cast basic spells?

You shouldn't have any trouble getting some elemental attacks going to take out immune enemies, even at the beginning. Learning skills takes 100X less grinding than before.

This is the version where I tested it for hours on end and tweaked the numbers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Are the 100 platinum coins at the start from that NPC bugged? or am I missing something unbelievably obvious?

also you misspelled thief at the class selection screen

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are the 100 platinum coins at the start from that NPC bugged? or am I missing something unbelievably obvious?

also you misspelled thief at the class selection screen

Platinum Coins should be under "key Items".

I did not misspell Thief, that is the Canadian version :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rutibex posted:

Platinum Coins should be under "key Items".

I did not misspell Thief, that is the Canadian version :colbert:

Yea I looked there. :( The only thing there is the codex of infinite planes, even after you talk to the npc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea I looked there. :( The only thing there is the codex of infinite planes, even after you talk to the npc.

:doh:
Ok new bug #1 found! I gave myself 1000 coins for testing so I didn't notice that I forgot to actually add the coins to your inventory from that NPC.

This bug is really annoying for new players so I'll do a quick fix for it. In the mean time, if you go into the back there are some easy achievements you can do to get a few hundred coins.

Edit: ok it should be fixed http://www.mediafire.com/download/k2pfaob7uh79aia/Final+Fantasy+R+V1.00.rar

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 22, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
How big is the file? Does the game need anything to run? I'm on extremely limited data here, and I'd be downloading it over mobile and transferring it to a laptop with no ability to download runtimes ot may or may not already have. (chilling in a hospital with no wifi)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gibbo posted:

How big is the file? Does the game need anything to run? I'm on extremely limited data here, and I'd be downloading it over mobile and transferring it to a laptop with no ability to download runtimes ot may or may not already have. (chilling in a hospital with no wifi)

It's a 300 meg rpgmaker game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I think the thief may be bugged. He's hitting from between 3k to 9999 dmg while everyone else does like 500 or less. Only thing I taught him were the 2 agi skills.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

It's a 300 meg rpgmaker game.

Ah. drat. I'm down to 700mb for the remainder of my unknown duration stay. Guess it will have to wait

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think the thief may be bugged. He's hitting from between 3k to 9999 dmg while everyone else does like 500 or less. Only thing I taught him were the 2 agi skills.

Hmm interesting. Its not actually the thief, its the way Daggers calculate damage based on Agility! I'll add that to the list to look into.

Of course, in theory nothing is broken unless you can beat the level 9999 eight boss arena challenge :colbert:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Hmm interesting. Its not actually the thief, its the way Daggers calculate damage based on Agility! I'll add that to the list to look into.

Of course, in theory nothing is broken unless you can beat the level 9999 eight boss arena challenge :colbert:

Ah so you are using the chicken knife's formula from ff5?

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Gibbo posted:

You should grab Sil. It's quite good and only 15.5 megs.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

hito posted:

You should grab Sil. It's quite good and only 15.5 megs.

This laptop actually has Tome on it, so I've been playing that and some snes emulation to keep myself occupied.

Speaking of TOME. Recently someone mentioned a way to make the transmog chest spit out gems if you have the extraction ability before spitting out gold? Or was that a wish?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Gibbo posted:

Speaking of TOME. Recently someone mentioned a way to make the transmog chest spit out gems if you have the extraction ability before spitting out gold? Or was that a wish?

http://te4.org/games/addons/tome/grayswandir-auto-gem

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Gibbo posted:

Ah. drat. I'm down to 700mb for the remainder of my unknown duration stay. Guess it will have to wait

Brogue is good, and weighs in at 1.7 megabytes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gibbo posted:

This laptop actually has Tome on it, so I've been playing that and some snes emulation to keep myself occupied.

You can pay the fortress AI in fort power to make your box convert gear to gems and transmog those gems if you have gem extraction. Any gems you might want to keep you still need to extract manually though.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

StoryTime posted:

Brogue is good, and weighs in at 1.7 megabytes.

I'm not looking for other suggestions. I have tome. I was just semi interested in that one. I also find the idea of naming it brogue as a way of insinuating it is "pleb friendly" loving disgusting.

Jazerus posted:

You can pay the fortress AI in fort power to make your box convert gear to gems and transmog those gems if you have gem extraction. Any gems you might want to keep you still need to extract manually though.

Oh that might have been what I saw when skimming through actually. Either way, got both results out of it. It has been a while since I've played tome and never on this machine so I'm having to reopen and remember everything

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Gibbo posted:

I'm not looking for other suggestions. I have tome. I was just semi interested in that one. I also find the idea of naming it brogue as a way of insinuating it is "pleb friendly" loving disgusting.

lol what

It's called Brogue because the author is named Brian Walker and it's Brian's Rogue.

edit: I just realized his name is Walker and a brogue is a type of shoe

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 22, 2016

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

I hope you get out of the hospital soon, but these folks are just trying to suggest fun games for you to play.

If all I had was Tome, I would start working on that novel that I've been kicking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Gibbo posted:

A: As pointed out above, it's not.

B: Why is that 'loving disgusting?' I legitimately don't understand how it could be. Even if it had been true, a dude gave a lighthearted name to a roguelike, I FEEL SICK JUST THINKING ABOUT THE LACK OF RESPECT SHOWN TO THE ROGUELIKE GENRE? Do you just hate bros?

Recommendation: Save calling things loving disgusting for things that are actually reprehensible.